Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

who's ready for fresh youtuber drama

I normally like digital foundry but this is a really lame reaction from alex here. Why is he going into the mentions of other youtubers just to defend Nvidia? And Steve is right that this artifact was visible in normal gameplay. So it's fair game to make a thumbnail that points it out and then asks "does this matter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's just a weird thing to do publicly. surely they have internal comms?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the df analysis even found a bunch of similar artifacts that were noticeable in gameplay lol, it didn't seem too bad overall though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lih posted:

the df analysis even found a bunch of similar artifacts that were noticeable in gameplay lol, it didn't seem too bad overall though

I think that's exactly it. Battaglia did find such artifacts, but seems to be saying here that HWUB is being "unfair" by making it seem like it's a lot more obvious than he thinks it should be, based on his review.

it's... very defensive, and seems inappropriate

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I mean his name is Alex Battle-All-Y'all and he has a giant rad looking scar on his face.

Just let the guy keep zooming in on these videos

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

:allears:

https://twitter.com/CORSAIR/status/1580649952082268160

Stebe went off on Corsair in the latest 4090 cooling/power video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmUb9sDS9zw

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Every tech company should tell their PR people every day not to antagonise Steve because it never goes well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The coming at the king and missing part is funny, but the apology statement itself also kinda sucks. "We're sorry our guy said inflammatory and incorrect things about someone else's understanding of an issue, we regret what they said and how they said it" isn't really an apology for saying factually wrong things about the issue itself, or an acknowledgement that the insulted party was actually correct about a claim, except in the most oblique and evasive sense possible. Seems like an invitation to GN to clown on them again once they acknowledge the comment.

e: not really worth linking the tweets, but GN has said apology accepted so I guess I'm wrong about further clowning.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 13, 2022

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I like DF just fine but they had their shtick about motion blur and I can't get behind it at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol the corsair employee (who GN didn't name) is apparently jonnyGURU himself, the former PSU reviewer and now head of R&D at corsair

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

lol the corsair employee (who GN didn't name) is apparently jonnyGURU himself, the former PSU reviewer and now head of R&D at corsair

JonnyGURU also got pretty snippy in the comments section of some tech sites who were reporting on the 16-pin connection lifecycles story. He was kinda right there but this is a big swing and a miss here.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

i see corsair still trying hard to pretend they aren't a label sticker on OEM with half-baked at best utility software

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I normally like digital foundry but this is a really lame reaction from alex here. Why is he going into the mentions of other youtubers just to defend Nvidia? And Steve is right that this artifact was visible in normal gameplay. So it's fair game to make a thumbnail that points it out and then asks "does this matter."

Because DF gets paid by nvidia to promote their poo poo. And probably every other company.

They've done a lot of shilling for DLSS3 despite it clearly looking like trash and the fact that latency increases are generally completely unacceptable.

I will say that MSFS is probably the singular game where DLSS3 makes sense, but that's not even a GPU thing. It's because it's such a complete pile of poo poo that it's CPU bound for no good reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

repiv posted:

it's like 16 possible combinations, and you can eliminate most of them because it apparently won't work with two

i'm not going to insinuate that gamersnexus is in the pocket of big "please use the device as intended and designed", but the contents of the actual complaint is "well actually there's a 14.285714% (repeating) chance of plugging in the right 3 power cords blindly; therefore,"

this is why people shouldn't do the "get a job doing your hobbies and you'll never work a day in your life" thing: your hobby/you becomes hot twitter goss". just like shut up dude.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there was more to the discussion than that along with JG adding in contents of communications to nvidia (wiring diagram for the sense pins) into the public while steve was telling to contact him privately

there was a lot of venting going on as he had been talking with nvidia to make custom cables for ~9 months and they were giving him the spec not the diagram for their unique cables.. which.. fair?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That is fair.

But as a rep of a company on discord, you can’t go disparaging individuals or other companies in a way that is visibly public. And that’s the issue here, not that johnnyGURU disagreed with Steve.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Especially when it’s an outlet that doesn’t care about keeping a company happy and will call you out publicly for it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It's fun that Jonnyguru has pretty much provided the golden standard on PSU testing(and taught Steve and co how to do it) and we are talking like it's a rando on twitter.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No we’re talking like it’s someone in a major corporate position who should know better.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's almost as if his behavior is indistinguishable from a rando on twitter :thunk:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Digitshill Foundry are so paid off by Nvidia that it’s unbelievable. Their 40 series coverage was a joke.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Digitshill Foundry are so paid off by Nvidia that it’s unbelievable. Their 40 series coverage was a joke.

Can you expand on that? I’m not aware of their usual reviews.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this is like posting M$ in 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

More like Steve from Lamer Sexless

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Steve won't gently caress you unless your PC benchmarks well and doesn't use a power supply that is a fire risk.

But I guarantee he'll start doing schlieren imaging testing of your PC in the afterglow.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Steve won't gently caress you unless your PC benchmarks well and doesn't use a power supply that is a fire risk.

But I guarantee he'll start doing schlieren imaging testing of your PC in the afterglow.

Wrong Steve. HUB Steve won't gently caress you if you're using a motherboard that overheats when paired with an i7/i9.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wrong Steve. HUB Steve won't gently caress you if you're using a motherboard that overheats when paired with an i7/i9.

HUB Steve won't go near you if you use DLSS or think raytracing is a neat feature.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

It's fun that Jonnyguru has pretty much provided the golden standard on PSU testing(and taught Steve and co how to do it) and we are talking like it's a rando on twitter.
i mean he was objectively wrong in this situation plus he was running his mouth off

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Linus doxed himself on the wan show tonight and they had to suddenly shut down the whole show. He was logged into Amazon and showed his home address.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I seriously doubt anyone who cared to know where he lives had trouble finding out his home address anyway. People need to stop acting like it's a big deal, if you are a youtuber with over maybe 100k subs and people ever know your real name, your home address is going to be found out by some curious people, and then the worst people are going to make an effort to get it from them and it's all over.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

K8.0 posted:

I seriously doubt anyone who cared to know where he lives had trouble finding out his home address anyway. People need to stop acting like it's a big deal, if you are a youtuber with over maybe 100k subs and people ever know your real name, your home address is going to be found out by some curious people, and then the worst people are going to make an effort to get it from them and it's all over.

I think part of the problem is that if you make it too easy you're much more likely to get swatted

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

I seriously doubt anyone who cared to know where he lives had trouble finding out his home address anyway. People need to stop acting like it's a big deal

nah some people are seriously crazy. I don't watch him, but for example xqc has had to move multiple times including once because someone broke into his place with a crowbar looking for him

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are absolutely people in the border zone who are stupid enough to do weird poo poo like show up at his house unannounced to try to get an autograph or send him poo poo in the mail if they see his home address but wouldn't go as far as doxx him for it. The more public you make your personal information, the more chances some weird idiot is going to do something stupid with it. I'm sure linus especially doesn't want random fans approaching his children.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 15, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EngineerJoe posted:

Linus doxed himself on the wan show tonight and they had to suddenly shut down the whole show. He was logged into Amazon and showed his home address.
Due the dox? Because at that point, it's too late and you might just roll with it. I mean, stop and restart the stream to prevent people from scrubbing back, but other than that?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shipon posted:

i mean he was objectively wrong in this situation plus he was running his mouth off

The sense pin magic told in the GN youtube video looks like bullshit to me too as it would require far more complex parts in the GPU power management and in the passive adapter. I concour that he could have worded it better but discord doesn't like long worded posts so it doesn't encourage those kind of posting.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Computer chips have been able to determine and control their own power usage envelopes for quite a while now (see AMD's PPT for instance). And it's no rocket science to sense whether there's voltage on specific wires. Because that seems what the adapter does.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also GN have a video with an Nvidia engineer coming up explaining it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

How the gently caress do they not have well-practiced procedure of using a separate profile for when they need to show off something to the stream?
That's the very definition of basic streamer work-etiquette, just l ike using streamer mode in discord et cetera ad nauseum - to the point that even I know it, and I never intend to become one.

Also, I'm pretty sure anyone who would've wanted to could've found his home address.
There's no such a thing as anonymity online anymore, unless you never engage with anyone and only use anonymous profiles - and that's a very lonely existence, and doesn't describe any online personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Computer chips have been able to determine and control their own power usage envelopes for quite a while now (see AMD's PPT for instance). And it's no rocket science to sense whether there's voltage on specific wires. Because that seems what the adapter does.

Yeah, but that’s regulating voltage/amperage within expected ranges. Nothing expects your PSU will ever toss 12v down a connector that should be 5v.