Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Stux posted:

she said she was lowballed, presumably because they did not want her back. we do not know why she was not wanted back in the role however she was replaced with a prolific union worker who likely demands a higher pay check than the person who does not do other va work at this point. thats literally all of the information available currently.

She also said she's not exactly snowed under with work offers or rolling in cash. And we know that PG explained her voice not being featured as a scheduling incompatibility. Good on you to both sides this and remain impartial until formal proof shows up. Personally, for the time being, I'm leaning towards the company being slimeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MarcusSA posted:

I think either way just because she was the VA for however many years doesn’t automatically give her the future rolls till the end of time.

If they wanted to move on from her they should have just said that but whatever.

I think if we accept this then we accept that artists are just machines that take X input and produce Y output for the benefit of their owner, and I don't want to accept that. I think that is a horrible attitude, personally. Like, having a creative disagreement or the artist asking for a huge amount of money is one thing, but firing someone who is quite literally the voice of your work without even telling her why is extremely "we are all disposable cogs in the machine of capitalism" dystopian.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Clarste posted:

I think if we accept this then we accept that artists are just machines that take X input and produce Y output for the benefit of their owner, and I don't want to accept that. I think that is a horrible attitude, personally. Like, having a creative disagreement or the artist asking for a huge amount of money is one thing, but firing someone who is quite literally the voice of your work without even telling her why is extremely "we are all disposable cogs in the machine of capitalism" dystopian.

This is what commercial art is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It doesn't have to be though? I'm not sure why we should accept things that are bad, personally.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Like that is literally the point of unionizing and stuff.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If they broke union rules, I imagine the union will take action. But I doubt they did.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Union rules are not necessarily perfect. If something is bad and not covered by the rules it is reasonable to discuss whether it should be changed. "It is the way it is" is literally not an argument and I honestly don't know why you're saying it so smugly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I haven't said that at all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't understand the cultural differences angle. Surely just springing a surprise American-style "you're fired!" (and then replacing her with Hale, lying about scheduling conflicts, etc) would have been equally bad as soft-firing her with a lowball offer.

FWIW though Kamiya blocking people isn't directly related to this issue. He's had a policy for years of instablocking anyone who tries to reply to or @ him in English. Which is pretty understandable as a Japanese dude who just wants to tweet in Japanese but whose games are super popular with a foreign-language-speaking English audience.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 16, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That is the only thing you've said, although not in those exact words. To be clear I don't think any of this breaks any rules, union or otherwise, and this public outcry will likely change nothing. But that's unrelated to whether it's hosed up or not.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Clarste posted:

That is the only thing you've said, although not in those exact words. To be clear I don't think any of this breaks any rules, union or otherwise, and this public outcry will likely change nothing. But that's unrelated to whether it's hosed up or not.

I haven't said that, but you're on your warpath, so keep going then, my friend.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Not really the thread for passive-aggressive snarking past each other for half a page

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Clarste posted:

I think if we accept this then we accept that artists are just machines that take X input and produce Y output for the benefit of their owner, and I don't want to accept that.

That's literally what work for hire is, there's no way around that without dismantling capitalism.

Clarste posted:

Like that is literally the point of unionizing and stuff.

No, it's not. Unions exist as a way for workers to bargain collectively against management rather than individually, that's it. If workers collectively demand that they own the rights to the product, then they can try I guess, but management is still going to say no.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

Not really the thread for passive-aggressive snarking past each other for half a page

Oh, has the topic of this thread changed?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1581692094350913537?t=xI5zdb7T8elJLQQSzWSnVQ&s=19

Kamiya's account is now gone

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

the ultimate block... we've all been owned

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

He must've posted too much in English. Turned himself into an insect. Shame.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Now we’ll never get to find out what it is that completely exonerates him and his company!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Which is pretty understandable as a Japanese dude who just wants to tweet in Japanese but whose games are super popular with a foreign-language-speaking English audience.

I don't think it's that understandable to be honest

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I can't believe the 50-year-old man who wears sunglasses indoors and calls non-Japanese people "insects" is actually kind of a jerk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

regardless of anything else i think a japanese person, or anyone else for thaht matter, not wanting to deal with english speaking people doing the insane move of speaking english at every living thing on the planet and getting confused when theyre annoyed isnt an issue.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mutata posted:

He must've posted too much in English. Turned himself into an insect. Shame.

As Hideki Kamiya awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

regardless of anything else i think a japanese person, or anyone else for thaht matter, not wanting to deal with english speaking people doing the insane move of speaking english at every living thing on the planet and getting confused when theyre annoyed isnt an issue.
yeah his tone is tedious but his not wanting to deal with americans yelling at him is not really that weird. i'm an american and i don't like americans yelling at me either!! as always the solution is to not be on the bird hell site

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when you don't want scores of irate twitter posters @ing you then you restrict your replies, which is what kamiya had been doing for the last day or so. this is PR reaching out with a big vaudeville hook to yank him offstage

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Stux posted:

this. also quite frankly I don't think the kamiya part is interesting at all but of course people are going to focus on him.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

why won't these ignorant americans learn japanese just to tweet at this one person?? it boggles the mind

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

gently caress SNEEP posted:

why won't these ignorant americans learn japanese just to tweet at this one person?? it boggles the mind

Nailed it dude.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Most obviously aren't aggro about it but it's pretty common for people to at least put "hey I don't speak English" in their bios.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

twitter is a brain disease i would simply not try to talk with the person i have no connection with on the other side of the world instead of getting mad they won't speak english to me

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

cheetah7071 posted:

twitter is a brain disease i would simply not try to talk with the person i have no connection with on the other side of the world instead of getting mad they won't speak english to me

This goes in both directions though, as anyone who would voluntarily use twitter should be in jail

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And if I really did need to talk to them I would go to the effort of translating my message into their own language first.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The corporate dude being a weird racist is the least surprising part of this entire thing and it's not really germane to the thread imo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Pretty sure if I went on twitter and said that I'll block anyone for tweeting at me in Japanese and then called them insects I would get banned for racism. Seeing as there's plenty of other Japanese developers who do not have this sort of hang-up, and some even have a dedicated English twitter account, I'm gonna go ahead and say this guy is just a piece of poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pretty sure if I went on twitter and said that I'll block anyone for tweeting at me in Japanese and then called them insects I would get banned for racism. Seeing as there's plenty of other Japanese developers who do not have this sort of hang-up, and some even have a dedicated English twitter account, I'm gonna go ahead and say this guy is just a piece of poo poo.

are you loving stupid

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I think it's more that he made it a very prominent part of his persona that he'd reference as often as he could.

For my money, if I had a language I didn't want to see on a social media website I wouldn't make part of my online persona a challenge to speakers of said language, while also occasionally using the language myself. Seems oddly counter-intuitive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
out of all the things to get upset at in this situation i don't think i would pick the guy blocking all Americans on Twitter

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yup. this. clearly tthe guy is an ethno-nationalist and racist agianst americans to boot. and this of course has great and important bearing on the issue of if a va was mistreated by, presumably nintendo, but possibly him.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

can you all go post on resetera or something, your brains are clearly incapable of coherent thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

"If white people can be banned for using the n-word, black people should be banned for saying cracker (I can say that it's my word.)"