Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my loving god gas this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Oh my loving god gas this thread

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

are you loving stupid

Aww did I say something bad about your favorite developer?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gas

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

:emptyquote:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

gently caress SNEEP posted:

to answer stux's question: you are very dumb

now gas the thread and probe everybody with a post on the last three pages

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQlOfXyrUY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

my brother, i have not even played bayonetta 2. if you dont understand what was wrong with what you just said, i cannot help you.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

cheetah7071 posted:

to answer stux's question: you are very dumb

now gas the thread and probe everybody with a post on the last three pages

Thank you for your sacrifice :patriot:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

I feel like this is game industry adjacent since "the dudes behind Red vs Blue" were decidedly a part of things for a while there:

https://twitter.com/KdinJenzen/status/1581345151821021184
https://twitter.com/MicaBurton/status/1581381192829456384

A series of former-staff have come out with tales of Rooster Teeth being an exploitative nightmare of missing paychecks, slurs aplenty, and crunch culture on content creation going back to the early 2010s. There's more flying around right now, but the first kicked this off and the second was the biggest name to go "Yes, and more" in the wake as of yet. The tl;dr from the initial pastebin if you just want highlights:

Swinging back to this but is this TLDR all from one person? Because like at what point do you leave a lovely company vs staying for 8 years so you can compile a list of theircrimes.TXT

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

out of all the things to get upset at in this situation i don't think i would pick the guy blocking all Americans on Twitter

It's more he has now made himself the counter voice to Hellana Taylor's claims by calling her a liar, trust him he has the receipts, but if you ask him about it at all he's gonna block you regardless, and people are reflecting on his past behavior with "Oh, he was actually just a dickhead, not being a funny internet guy"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Gas this loving thread

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

How many more posts do you think it will take before Stux throws a big fit and gets banned again?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux is right though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How many more posts do you think it will take before Stux throws a big fit and gets banned again?
stop posting

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have caught up to the posts. I made a post in the Video Games feedback thread about the future of this thread and I am implementing stricter rules. I am going to moderate this thread harshly.

This topic is for Game Industry news only.

This is NOT a chat thread.

This means there will be probes for going off topic.
I will not tolerate snippy fights against each other here.
Wild speculation about twitter accounts and the truth behind motivations is off topic.
Posts that are whitenoise or :gas: will also be hit.
Do not cheerlead others or disparage others.
This is subject to my interpretations so if I have missed something I would like to see reports with clear information.
I am reading and monitoring this thread when I am online.
My time zone is different to the majority of the forums so there should not be a need to grant emergency probes or bans - please allow me time to catch up.

The nature of content in this thread can be emotionally negative so if you find yourself getting angry or heated because of the discussion please do something else for a bit.

We are going to try this as strict as we can. This is NOT to be an RSS twitter feed or link thread - there can be discussion but it needs to be wholly unlike what has been happening here lately.

All these new rules take into effect after this post. I have hit a few posts from before this but consider that limited amnesty.

Thank you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Swinging back to this but is this TLDR all from one person? Because like at what point do you leave a lovely company vs staying for 8 years so you can compile a list of theircrimes.TXT

Someone else came forward with a twitlonger explaining how and I meant to post it but the thread got locked again before I managed to post it.

https://twitter.com/Ked_ees/status/1581541077030699008

quote:

Also, something that came up when the Glassdoor reviews came out was people asking about why no one came forward earlier. We couldn't. While RT has no weight or meaning to the industry as a whole, they're very good at keeping you there. Couldn't leave without a job because you couldn't save any money with such a small paycheck. You couldn't find another job because the work you made was such low quality. You couldn't do personal work outside of RT because you'd be so burnt out you couldn't. And they didn't let you moonlight.
Texas is also a right to work state. So if anything happened or you tried to like... do anything about it? Fired. Gone.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also wish to post this following rule from the first post:

quote:

Avoid posting for the sake of posting. It's okay if this thread dies a little because there's nothing to talk about.

This cannot be stressed enough. There is no mandate to post or to reply to everyone. This is my final word on things.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao at getting dogpiled because you want more information on a developing news story

drat. just read the kirby guy's post. cya

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 17, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Are there plans for an industry thread that's also a chat thread? Or just keep using the blizzlols thread in BYOB for that?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RareAcumen posted:

Someone else came forward with a twitlonger explaining how and I meant to post it but the thread got locked again before I managed to post it.

https://twitter.com/Ked_ees/status/1581541077030699008

That last bit about RT keeping you dead tired, poor, etc. so you're stuck working there in Texas is nasty. As a Texan, that's how way too many businesses do it here.

As a side note, I can't remember: is RT Austin base? Because that makes it worse with how comically expensive Austin and the surrounding areas are.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

busalover posted:

Are there plans for an industry thread that's also a chat thread? Or just keep using the blizzlols thread in BYOB for that?

Please make a general industry chat thread in Video Games if you wish or use the already stickied Chat thread, or use the Blizzlols one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

That last bit about RT keeping you dead tired, poor, etc. so you're stuck working there in Texas is nasty. As a Texan, that's how way too many businesses do it here.

As a side note, I can't remember: is RT Austin base? Because that makes it worse with how comically expensive Austin and the surrounding areas are.

Yes, they are. They also dropped an Official Response
https://twitter.com/RoosterTeeth/status/1581740029751095296

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It baffles me every single time a company thinks that making a big fake non-apology post will somehow make them look less bad than simply saying nothing at all.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In industry-adjacent news: the tv channel relaunch of G4 is dead once more… with zero forewarning to employees, apparently.

https://twitter.com/completionist/status/1581776851663364096?s=46&t=_5_w8vVtI9qO03oU1VWC8Q

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Poor Jirard, he was so exited to join G4, it was always a dream for him. So much for that I suppose.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

In industry-adjacent news: the tv channel relaunch of G4 is dead once more… with zero forewarning to employees, apparently.

https://twitter.com/completionist/status/1581776851663364096?s=46&t=_5_w8vVtI9qO03oU1VWC8Q

That’s crazy. There’s such a lack of available game related media and content available. Completely shocking that a live TV channel with a legacy format and commercials, focused on gaming didn’t work out.

Really sucks for the employees though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently the RT thing runs right up to the actors in their shows, one of the main RWBY VAs is tweeting about how they threatened recasting if she didn't take their pay:

https://twitter.com/arrynzech/status/1582028392580325377

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

edit: I misposted, this is the wrong thread

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 17, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recommend putting [not a chat thread] or similar at the end of the thread title

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Alanah Pearce put out a video saying she believes everything and reiterated that working for Rooster Teeth in 2018 was the worst year of her life and she developed chronic stress related health problems that persist to this day. Place sounds like a toxic shithole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5dZHFLPPbU

As for Bayonetta, I’m deeply conflicted because while I 100% believe Helena, a video game is more than just its voice actor. Asking for a full boycott might be how she feels in her heart, but the literally hundreds of people who made art, designed the levels and enemies, balanced and refined the combat and helped redefine action video games for the last two decades… all of them have nothing to do with this and shouldn’t be punished.

As far as the $4k figure, there’s a really huge overlap in Video Game VA and Video Game content creation precisely because the pay for video game VA is such dogshit, kinda even IF you are in the union. The overwhelming majority of responses from big, big industry veterans is “I completely believe this”, like the guy who did 9S in Neir: Automata saying he has to stream to make rent. People are being asked to record 20-30-40 hours of dialogue for a single lump sum equivalent to working two months at McDonalds, for a video game that made hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. The animation industry, especially anime dubs, can be even worse.

So I won’t boycott the game, because that seems unfair to absolutely every single person involved besides Helena. If she’s got a good head on her shoulders going forward she’ll launch a patreon or something to capitalize on all this goodwill and try and get her bills paid.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RE: Bayonetta, Jennifer Hale just put out her own statement on the matter.

https://twitter.com/jhaletweets/status/1582084319677644801?s=46&t=_5_w8vVtI9qO03oU1VWC8Q

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

RE: Bayonetta, Jennifer Hale just put out her own statement on the matter.

https://twitter.com/jhaletweets/status/1582084319677644801?s=46&t=_5_w8vVtI9qO03oU1VWC8Q

Feels like saying "I am under an NDA" is code for something. Doesn't seem like a situation where she should really engage or respond.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it means she is under an nda

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

pentyne posted:

Feels like saying "I am under an NDA" is code for something. Doesn't seem like a situation where she should really engage or respond.

It means she either wants to respond or feels compelled to respond, but can't due to an NDA. It ain't that deep.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Voice actors are very, very frequently unable to comment on projects they worked on until they're actually out so yeah I'm pretty sure she's just under an NDA and can't really say anything about the casting process, what she was told, pay, or anything like that without violating it.

Other examples of this include how actors often can't even confirm they've been cast in a game until a certain date.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The “my reputation speaks for itself” part also means something

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah and someone with Hale’s reach and name recognition in the industry going out of her way to make this non-statement is her way of saying “I would LOVE to spill the tea but I legally cannot”, because if she really didn’t have anything to add she just wouldn’t have posted anything at all.

For me, the biggest point of curiosity is… what did they offer to Hale and what did Helena ask for?

Like… assuming Helena wanted maybe $20,000 for the role, maybe $30,000, enough to live very modestly off the success of a hugely successful video game franchise and arguably the most iconic woman in gaming since Lara Croft or Princess Peach… I would LOVE to know the real figures at work here beyond just the 4K.

It’s important to remember that 99% of anime/video game voice actors don’t have “jobs” like a reoccurring character in a show’s main cast. As iconic as Bayonetta’s voice is, Taylor’s resume is literally ONLY playing Bayonetta since 2012, it’s literally the only character she has in her career, basically. Taking it away from her after all this over a few thousand bucks is borderline inhumane, IMO.

It’s crazy too because P* have been taking massive L’s in the industry for a while, since Neir basically. They really didn’t need this smoke right before the game that everyone hopes would put them back on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That whole thing is a bog-standard PR "I feel like I'm being forced to say something but I'm not actually allowed to say anything" statement. I don't think Hale is trying to "send a message" to anyone other than "Look, I took a job like I always do, leave me out of this."

In any case, my read on it is still that Hale accepted the job and got whatever rate she asked for, which leads me to believe that the VA change wasn't about greed or being cheap or whatever. After that is only pointless speculation, so that's all I'm really seeing here.