Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

K8.0 posted:

I find Mindustry to have a bad UI and be finnicky to build, but it may be the best version of what you're looking for.

You may also want to consider The Riftbreaker.

Yeah I wanted to like Mindustry a lot more than I did. I still go back to it on the mobile version occasionally and can get decently far in but give up once things get too crazy because the UI/building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just basically want Emperor:RotMK with full 3D gigantic maps and a modern UI. Or same but Simcity 3000. Either one. I don't ask for much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want a game that is basically stronghold crusader, except the scale is supreme commander and instead of building walls you're landscaping mountains, and it's paced like a 4X. Start at a point, explore the terrain, build more settlements and industry and defenses to fight off other factions and ambient threats, eventually reach a full electronic/information warfare element and managing troop allocations across fronts.

I guess maybe like a more RTS style Shadow Empire.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 16, 2022

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

explosivo posted:

Yeah I wanted to like Mindustry a lot more than I did. I still go back to it on the mobile version occasionally and can get decently far in but give up once things get too crazy because the UI/building.

I think Mindustry basically expects you to make/save blueprints that do things like make a cluster that does all the sorting/manufacturing and the only thing you do manually is route the right ingredients into the right input belts. My main complaint about the game is if you don't do that you can never keep up with the waves, but if you DO do that then every level is just reduced to plopping down the same blueprints and building a giant wall of turrets a million times faster than the enemy waves will ramp up, so you just hold fast-forward until the waves all die on your death wall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just basically want Emperor:RotMK with full 3D gigantic maps and a modern UI. Or same but Simcity 3000. Either one. I don't ask for much.

The whole gaming universe has been jonesing for a refreshed sim city 4K for at least ten years, probably longer. It seems like a no brainer but maybe EA couldn't figure out how to cram endless dlc into it.

Skylines and that abomination sim city that spawned it don't count.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

xzzy posted:

I want factorio with less logistic optimizing but more base defense. I know there's mods that go in that direction but they're all way too involved, I just wanna strip mine the earth and use it to ever more effectively blow up stuff that hates me.

Dwarf Fortress kinda does that too, but I'm not sure I could get back into it at this point. Just too many hours spend staring at it.

Riftbreaker as xzzy said and also consider Dyson Sphere Program AFTER the update that's supposed to come next year that will add combat. It's a solid game as it is but obviously doesn't fit your base defense thing right now, as is.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Riftbreaker is an excellent Factorio-lite with lots of shooting. Emphasis on "lite" for the Factorio comparison, almost all the logistics are automagic (you need some pipes, that's about it) but the base building is pretty satisfying and the combat/tower defense is great. It has a free demo that gives a pretty good picture of what the full game is like.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

xzzy posted:

The whole gaming universe has been jonesing for a refreshed sim city 4K for at least ten years, probably longer. It seems like a no brainer but maybe EA couldn't figure out how to cram endless dlc into it.

Paradox certainly figured it out. But EA is less about DLC per se and more about microtransactions, which is why they're hostile to modding, and a city sim without copious modding support is a non-starter.

I hope to live long enough to see a proper modernized SC4. But it will have to come from an indie.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

K8.0 posted:

I find Mindustry to have a bad UI and be finnicky to build, but it may be the best version of what you're looking for.

You may also want to consider The Riftbreaker.

Riftbreaker is a fun factory base builder and looks very pretty, too. Be warned though: it's also more of an action game with tower defense than a factory sim.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Mine is a village builder where you start with 1 or 2 unique people and work your way from "what am fire?" to a space program

so Kittens game if it was rimworld maybe? Idk

Have you tried The Universim yet? It’s almost out of Early Access

https://store.steampowered.com/app/352720/The_Universim/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skeleton warrior posted:

Almost? Christ, I backed that on Kickstarter in 2014

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

skeleton warrior posted:

Honestly the graphics and the seemingly small globe are a bit offputting, how crunchy is it?

Also does "Early Access" even mean anything any more?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Yeah it means "selling wishes and dreams to rubes for actual money"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Eric the Mauve posted:

They are kind of doing that with Pharaoh. Played the demo and it had promise.

Too bad it has no release date.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Honestly the graphics and the seemingly small globe are a bit offputting, how crunchy is it?

It's around Settlers level crunchy: people have needs like food and water and shelter, so you need to make buildings that provide those things, but it would be easier if you got the materials needed to make those buildings automatically, so let's make some of those buildings and wait now you need more people to staff those buildings so now more buildings for food and water and shelter and also now you need to maintain those buildings and hold on people need government and now a place to eat and okay, things are balancing and we're at an even keel and oh god there's a wolf attack and apparently winter happens and stops all our water sources and okay well we don't need more shelter now I guess we need to research graveyards ooh didn't get that done in time better research hospitals to keep dead body rot from spreading and...

The main things that keep it from being especially crunchy are that you don't have a huge amount of control over logistics - you can make and staff warehouses, and control what they accept and what they don't, but there's not a lot of expectation that you'll micromanage that; the other big thing you don't really control are roads - the game shows you an overlay of expected roads when you build things, and will build out those roads as you put out new buildings (or change the overlay as you put buildings in places that block it, but that might mean that you don't get roads where you expect or want them). So it's not logistically crunchy like Anno games; it's much more plate spinning about making sure you're getting enough resources of the right type while managing energy production and waste production. Technically it's also a God Game, in that you're a God for these guys and can use your powers to change land, blow up their enemies, make them fall in love with each other to propagate certain traits, and need to care about keeping people worshipping you so that you have the power to do those things.

As for Early Access - the devs have been adding more and more to later ages with occasional balance passes; the space age stuff is pretty new and I really haven't touched it as it was added since I last played a year ago. They claim they're releasing the final version in a few months.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 17, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm making progress on my quest to rediscover the Impressions Games city builder series. Finished Zeus a while ago and started with Pharaoh after a huge relapse into Total War: Warhammer 3.

I'm progressing into Pharaoh's campaign, and while I love the aesthetics and feels of the game, going back to an older entry of the series is a huge setback in QoL. To put it bluntly, I had forgotten how incredibly annoying it is to play on anything higher than normal difficulty; not having access to global housing and religion are some of the biggest offenders for me. I know this is some really old news for anyone who has played the series before. Due to all of this, I decided to take a break (and maybe wait for the remake) and buy Nebuchadnezzar.

My first impression is that the developers played a ton of Caesar III, loved it but hated all the old school design and decided to streamline the hell out of it. There's a lot of good design choices here but some dubious ones as well (why trade is locked until you go through some loops when it's the only reliable way to make money? and why are docks so difficult to place down?).

On one hand, I like how the game deals with some of the main complaints I have about the classic series, mainly: Too much hidden information, lack of QoL features and poor control over your city and walker system. On the other hand, I have the feeling that removing all of those features greatly lowers the difficulty and once you have a stable city, it stays stable forever unless you conciously gently caress it up, and it let's you get away with a lot of sloppy choices.

My only real complaint is that the game feels a bit barebones although the devs are working on a big patch that will introduce more content. Still, a good choice if you want to experience a modern take on the classic Impressions Games.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Mine is a village builder where you start with 1 or 2 unique people and work your way from "what am fire?" to a space program

so Kittens game if it was rimworld maybe? Idk

unique people aside, i think there's a Civ4 mod that roughly does that. Caveman2Cosmos or something. there was an LP of it a few years ago back.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

unique people aside, i think there's a Civ4 mod that roughly does that. Caveman2Cosmos or something. there was an LP of it a few years ago back.

Welp, so much for writing my thesis!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've been tootling around with Coral Island on GamePass during the weekend, and while it's fairly enjoyable, holy poo poo does it feel like a Stardew Valley reskin. The art and presentation are great, but the progress loop is exactly the same as SV, including speaking to spirits and completing Community Center shrine bundles. Some of the recipes are also exactly the same!

That said, there are some other more unique mechanics, including diving and clearing the island of pollution, and I like the fact that trash is actually incredibly useful for many things.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I want factorio with less logistic optimizing but more base defense. I know there's mods that go in that direction but they're all way too involved, I just wanna strip mine the earth and use it to ever more effectively blow up stuff that hates me.

Dwarf Fortress kinda does that too, but I'm not sure I could get back into it at this point. Just too many hours spend staring at it.

You could try warptorio? It's a mod where the biter aggression and growth is tuned way up, but you have a small platform to warp to a new map hopefully before they overrun you.

It turns the game kind of on it's head, because you're forced to beeline to automated defences as soon as possible, and have to try to extract as much raw resources as you can before the biters overrun you

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda hate rimworld for popularizing the "every resource item at every stage is an icon that takes up space and needs to be stored in a physical location" bullshit. half the reason i can't get into medieval dynasty is the storage poo poo. just store everything as numbers after its processed and let me focus on cooler poo poo. everything needs to be schlepped around and is rotting

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

smarxist posted:

I kinda hate rimworld for popularizing the "every resource item at every stage is an icon that takes up space and needs to be stored in a physical location" bullshit. half the reason i can't get into medieval dynasty is the storage poo poo. just store everything as numbers after its processed and let me focus on cooler poo poo. everything needs to be schlepped around and is rotting

There are mods for Rimworld that change that.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
i think I've mentioned it in the thread/last thread before, but I think the real time component of these survival strategy games might be hindering optimal gameplay.

Any real time game that has speed settings is generally only paused or on maximum speed, and almost never anything in between unless you are doing it purely for aesthetic or personal enjoyment reasons.

I couldn't imagine a rimworld game from fire to spaceship running in real time.

I'm starting to think going back to turn based systems might be a better way to go. Card Survival: Tropical Island has been a very refreshing take on survival strategy, chunking actions into discrete time units has been far more satisfying than 'wait to gather x - wait to haul x to y - wait for worker to process x into z at location y - wait to move z to storage - haul z from storage back to location y so it can be further refined' is leading to 'rimworld' fatigue.

StarDeus should basically be my favorite game of all time, but idk I'm starting to run out of steam watching lil dudes cart stuff around.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I was a playtester for nearly all of the Impressions games, long long ago.

One thing I like about both Satisfactory and Factory Town is that there's no speed controls. The time moves on at the same rate.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

i think I've mentioned it in the thread/last thread before, but I think the real time component of these survival strategy games might be hindering optimal gameplay.

Any real time game that has speed settings is generally only paused or on maximum speed, and almost never anything in between unless you are doing it purely for aesthetic or personal enjoyment reasons.

I kinda agree for the management part of rimworld but turn-based combat is a wholly different monster

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Grevlek posted:

I couldn't imagine a rimworld game from fire to spaceship running in real time.

Not quite "in real time" but I find speed 2 ideal for Rimworld, outside of combat (where of course it's on speed 1 since it auto sets you to that). Not so fast you can't react to things or plan projects, not so slow its a crawl. Speeds other than maximum have merits! For a lot of games, though, I agree with you.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Radiation Cow posted:

I've been tootling around with Coral Island on GamePass during the weekend, and while it's fairly enjoyable, holy poo poo does it feel like a Stardew Valley reskin. The art and presentation are great, but the progress loop is exactly the same as SV, including speaking to spirits and completing Community Center shrine bundles. Some of the recipes are also exactly the same!

That said, there are some other more unique mechanics, including diving and clearing the island of pollution, and I like the fact that trash is actually incredibly useful for many things.

I watched the preview video for it while Dyson Sphere was installing, and it really did look like a Stardew reskin. If it comes out on Switch it will likely occupy >500 hours of my wife's time.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Radiation Cow posted:

I backed it on kickstarter and hosed around in the alpha for a bit before realizing I probably don't want to burn myself out before I can actually smooch the characters etc, but it's p good imo! Also worked tolerably on the steam deck even without proper mapping yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My only issue with it being a Stardew reskin is that I'm still playing Stardew all the time so I dunno if I need another one. But it's on gamepass so I don't have to decide, whee

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Damnit I'm here thinking about buying Planet Zoo again now that it's on a fairly deep sale.

Edit: I done did it.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

explosivo posted:

Damnit I'm here thinking about buying Planet Zoo again now that it's on a fairly deep sale.

Edit: I done did it.

I know this speaks more to the state of my brain than the games, but something about running a zoo gives me the feelbads that I never get when I have starving humans in management games or when I'm brutally colonizing poo poo in a 4x game or anything else.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Planet Zoo has a bunch of good stuff about matching habitat to exhibit and providing rotating enrichment while a main goal is breed and release endangered animals.

The latter is also what manifests into the multiplayer wildlife market feeling like a weird black market back room as you search for someone's rare endangered animals with perfect breeder genes to start your endangered animal export farm. So you win some and lose some.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got through like 1.5 tutorials in Planet Zoo and I'm already kinda bummed thinking about how once I get to make my own zoo it's never going to look a goddamn thing like these :sweatdrop:

It is really impressive what you can make with the tools in that game. I just don't know if I have the patience to meticulously hand-craft everything which is why I'm probably going to plonk down square exhibits.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Planet Zoo is a game I really like in theory but the landscaping and editing tools are way too much for a casual/chill play session.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They're about to release a pack with raccoons and bats and red foxes in it and I'm excited to make 'What We Do in the Shadows: The Zoo' and have it all just trashed.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19JYOVPmwDM
this one was so good lol

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

archangelwar posted:

Food stocking and consumption in the game is something they are reworking in the next big update because right now it is just waaaay off. I’ve had settlers with pockets full of fruit develop and die of scurvy without ever trying to eat their fruit. I’ve had houses stock tons of dried meat and nothing else despite having a thriving veggie economy and never be able to upgrade. I’ve had all my clay pots stock to a single house. I’ve had a market place only ever stock 3 houses and the employee turns around half-way on the trip to the other houses repeatedly.

I thought it must have been a bug, as my food production was massive. I had 126 people and somehow 1000 root vegetables, 500 smoked meat and bread, and 200 smoked fish was not enough food for a single month. I restarted and have been keeping at least 5 months going into winter, so whatever the bug is hasn't happened (yet). I also just realized you can refocus the area of a gathering building recently, which is nice so i don't have to waste too much time building and rebuilding them

The most annoying thing I've found is the trade system. Why add that step to actually transfer things to the trading post than just using universal stockpiles? Its a step that yes, may be realistic but its just another annoying button press.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone try out Potionomics? If so, I'm curious to hear your thoughts! Game looks pretty fun and it looks like they spent a lot of time on polish. The characters I've seen in the preview videos look very well animated.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Planet Zoo is a game I really like in theory but the landscaping and editing tools are way too much for a casual/chill play session.

It really depends on whether you can still get the same satisfaction through using workshop items. The biggest problem with Planet Coaster was if you used a workshop item, there was pretty much no game after that. Planet Zoo still suffers from this a wee bit, but there's alot more of a management side to it that keeps you going.

They're both really weird games in that they should be great fun, but as said, if you're a casual play person it just kind of doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Anyone try out Potionomics? If so, I'm curious to hear your thoughts! Game looks pretty fun and it looks like they spent a lot of time on polish. The characters I've seen in the preview videos look very well animated.

We're talking about it (a bit) in the Farm, Fish, and... thread.

Summary: it's good! It you liked Recettear, it's that but with neat new mechanics. Creating potions is a matter of combining ingredients with different attributes so that you balance the right attributes enough, and there's a lot of ingredients with various attributes to make for good, fun puzzles. Selling potions is a haggling mini-game where you play cards from your hand to try and increase the price, but the more cards you play (and the bigger those cards), the more stress you have.

Beyond that, it's well written and very cute.