Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He didn't check his mirror before opening his car. That could have been a truck. Over ten bicyclists are killed in NYC by people doing this every year

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Completionist/status/1581776851663364096
F

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

holy poo poo. G4TV existed until an hour ago?
It had a relaunch?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He didn't check his mirror before opening his car. That could have been a truck. Over ten bicyclists are killed in NYC by people doing this every year

I assumed the cyclist was the subject because he was the only one who was potentially injured in the clip.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think it was only on directv or comcast or some poo poo. It wasn't widely available. Probably would have gotten more viewers if it was a tubi channel.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
God I hope they brought back that Kevin guy

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
THEN FIRED HIM AGAIN

HAHAHAHAH

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

I assumed the cyclist was the subject because he was the only one who was potentially injured in the clip.
note how precisely parked the car is as well

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Literally A Person posted:

God I hope they brought back that Kevin guy

He had a show on truTV for a while. It was some dumb life hack poo poo.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/0gN7EBq.mp4

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

if you know a better way to tow a boat I'm all ears

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if you know a better way to tow a boat I'm all ears

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

that is an amphibious vehicle, not a way to tow a boat

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is an amphibious vehicle, not a way to tow a boat

Yeah, and you don't need a trailer for it so when you tow it it won't fall off. Do I need to explain everything to you?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, and you don't need a trailer for it so when you tow it it won't fall off. Do I need to explain everything to you?

I would like that

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I was sceptical but I guess I owe Elon Musk a mental apology - got any pictures of it in the water generating thrust by wheel rotation?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

What a nauti truck

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doodles posted:

Introduce her to the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett, or Hamster Princess by Ursula Vernon. Either series is infinitely better written than Harvey Potash, and unlikely to turn her into a bigot.

That's the best way to beat JKR. Get the kids to read other stuff.

I'm just going to let her read whatever she wants instead of giving her homework based on twitter behaviour. If Harry Potter was going to turn someone into a bigot, 90% of millennials would be TERFs. Sometimes the books you liked as a kid were written by terrible people, it doesn't exactly bear that much on you as a person. I'm not going to pretend I never liked David Eddings because he locked a foster kid in a cage.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

bell jar posted:

What a nauti truck

driven hard and put away wet

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm just going to let her read whatever she wants instead of giving her homework based on twitter behaviour. If Harry Potter was going to turn someone into a bigot, 90% of millennials would be TERFs. Sometimes the books you liked as a kid were written by terrible people, it doesn't exactly bear that much on you as a person. I'm not going to pretend I never liked David Eddings because he locked a foster kid in a cage.

Yeah I’m not going to feel bad about liking a children’s series as a child. I have positive memories tied to HP from childhood, and that’s perfectly fine to have? I also loved the Little House on the Prairie and, get this, you don’t need to open the book to know how they aged.

Like I learned how to behave (and not how to behave) from adults around me. I think it’s more important to model behaviors and attitudes for kids. Sure, they totally absorb poo poo from various forms of media but you can draw bolder lines to certain behaviors from child to an adult in their lives.

Tldr; just like, talk to your kids, or kids in your life, about being a good person, to themselves and others.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

Tldr; just like, talk to your kids, or kids in your life, about being a good person, to themselves and others.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That requires actually *interacting* with my children, though. Can't I just let media do it for me???

This is a joke, I do not have children

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is a joke, I do not have children

yeah, we know

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
It would suck to now hate every Weinstein Company movie because Harvey Weinstein is a monster with a deformed penis

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Earthsea books might be slightly above her level, but that's a good alternative. Ursula K Le Guin is so much infinitely cooler and better than Rowling.

There's a wonderful quote from Ursula Le Guin that I read the other day and can't find again, about how people go and write fantasy without ever having read any of it, and produce naive, boring stuff that's only enjoyable for people who have never read fantasy. About how the author is wide-eyed in wonder about wizards and dragons and magic and stuff, while the better-read audience is like "yes, we know, that's not really all that interesting. Do something original".

Anyway, she cited Rowling and Harry Potter as an excellent example of this.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

There's a wonderful quote from Ursula Le Guin that I read the other day and can't find again, about how people go and write fantasy without ever having read any of it, and produce naive, boring stuff that's only enjoyable for people who have never read fantasy. About how the author is wide-eyed in wonder about wizards and dragons and magic and stuff, while the better-read audience is like "yes, we know, that's not really all that interesting. Do something original".

Anyway, she cited Rowling and Harry Potter as an excellent example of this.

so we should read who instead? Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, G R R Martin? How bout Steven King, he wrote some fantasy books too. what makes Ursula better read than I am?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so we should read who instead? Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, G R R Martin? How bout Steven King, he wrote some fantasy books too. what makes Ursula better read than I am?

Well for starters she knows that you put a capital letter at the start of a sentence.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Read who you like, but the point is the stuff Rowlings puts out doesn't even begin to cut it for good fantasy - it's fairly basic in it's approach. It's the same argument why people are/were so critical of the Twilight series. Seems only people who aren't real readers of the genre really obsessed over it, but if you have been immersed in that genre for long, you realize how utterly shallow it is. There's no depth or nuance or anything more than basic tropes. If that's what you like, great, but don't be all shocked pikachu when people tell you there's much better stuff out there.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
(But yes, you should read Pratchett)

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

teen witch posted:

Yeah I’m not going to feel bad about liking a children’s series as a child. I have positive memories tied to HP from childhood, and that’s perfectly fine to have? I also loved the Little House on the Prairie and, get this, you don’t need to open the book to know how they aged.

I absolutely adored the Little House series when I was young. Read all of them including the series about her daughter and the series’ about her mother, grandmother, and I think great grandmother. It’s been over 20 years since I read them and can only imagine how they’ve aged :(

I’ve even been to a few of her homesteads while on vacation so I had an immensely positive experience and it’ll always stay that way. I’ll never read them again so it stays that way in my memory. I’ve had enough childhood memories spoiled as it is

Reiche fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 17, 2022

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Are you asking us to explain why Ursula K. Le Guin knows more about fantasy, or literature in general, than you? You must not know who she is.

Anyway, here's the quote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KrisLorischild/status/1580264766727024640

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Listen 9 year old child, I know that you absolutely love Harry Potter, as did the majority of my entire generation, but your taste is actually quite pedestrian and you should be engaging in a higher tier of literature. Honestly, the fact that you enjoy it means you are quite dumb and you should really know better, and furthermore I am sorry to say that you have been made transphobic.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

jeebus bob posted:

Are you asking us to explain why Ursula K. Le Guin knows more about fantasy, or literature in general, than you? You must not know who she is.

:iceburn:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Caesar Saladin posted:

Listen 9 year old child, I know that you absolutely love Harry Potter, as did the majority of my entire generation, but your taste is actually quite pedestrian and you should be engaging in a higher tier of literature. Honestly, the fact that you enjoy it means you are quite dumb and you should really know better, and furthermore I am sorry to say that you have been made transphobic.

Cut that poo poo out man. Kids are allowed to love Harry Potter, it appeals right to them.

Ursula's point is that writers and book reviewers are expected to know more and be able write fresh things or recommend good pieces rather than rehashing well-trod ground. People are in this very thread listing good YA fiction that's gonna be fresh and interesting to new readers - and so if they start with those and read onwards to whatever they like, by the time they circle back to stuff like Twilight or other schlock it'll have lost all lustre. There's no need to recommend the bad stuff just because it's newer!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

This but ironically.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Yeah, she’s clearly making the point that critics (who should be very familiar with the genres they’re covering) shouldn’t be gushing over tired rehashed poo poo, like the example of a chef gushing over buttered toast, not the point of “gently caress children with their simple minds and unrefined tastes”

Buttered toast is a perfectly normal thing for children to like

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so we should read who instead? Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, G R R Martin?

Yes, those people.

jeebus bob posted:

That's the one. Excellent

Caesar Saladin posted:

No, man. Her point is that Harry Potter is quite poo poo, and had already been done, better, in children's and YA fantasy. And she's right.

She's not saying it's a nine year old's fault nobody handed them anything decent to read first. If that's what you'd read first, then that's what you'd read first.

The contention is that it's wildly popular because its audience hadn't read much else first, and that those that had thought it was boring. Which rang true for me, having already read Enid Blyton and Pratchett and Le Guinn and (not actually that great either!) Dragonlance and Eddings and stuff like that by the time HP came out.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 17, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality

Haven't read it, only know the name because I had a roommate a decade ago who was a big fan.

Oh dear.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

By popular demand posted:

Dilbert goes to Hogwarts might be a solid idea for a satirical work though.

The old Dilbert comics back when Dilbert was the put-upon employee with a lovely boss and coworkers of varying competence, but set in a wizard company with the same stale bureaucracy and incompetent leadership would be fun. There's probably not a whole lot of material there, but having the characters play the boring office environment/politics straight with absurd magic bullshit happening in the background would be worth a few laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

King Carnivore posted:

Yeah, she’s clearly making the point that critics (who should be very familiar with the genres they’re covering) shouldn’t be gushing over tired rehashed poo poo,

More because genre fic, and YA aren't considered literature the critics who usually review "literature" were suddenly reviewing a popular children's fantasy series, and praising it for being original, when in fact JKR is not original. Critics aren't expected to be familiar with genre or YA, unless they're niche reviewers, so it's funny/infuriating when they do review it and don't know what they're talking about.

Harry Potter is a (mostly) fun read... but there's plenty of adults out there who end up like that bossbaby tweet, and that is laughable.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2022