Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Buschmaki posted:

I always though Amuro was able to immediately pilot the Gundam so well because aside from his technical aptitude it also had a self-learning AI

The RX-78-2 had a learning computer, but it's less of a self-learning AI and more of an assistance AI that can record the movements of it's pilots to help smooth out movements that have been done before etc. It's like self-driving cars basically. It can't actually react in novel ways on it's own based on past experience to intuit new things or anything, and is instead just operating off data that's been taken in the past. The learning computer actually plays a pretty minor part in the show though, and is more of a thing in supplementary material. Amuro marvels that the manual indicates the RX-78-2 has a learning computer when he looks at it part way through the first episode, but the only other time that it's mentioned in the show is when Amuro tries to credit his success as a pilot to the learning computer while in captivity with the rest of the crew at Luna II (in episode 3 or 4) and Ryu immediately tells him he's being too modest. Amuro also starts designing his own combat routines to programme into the RX-78-2 after first encountering Ramba Ral, showing that he's starting to out-do even the nebulous assistance the computer had been providing up to that point. Which is about the only other role it plays in the show itself.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's a whole thing where the data from Amuro's piloting was used to improve later Federation mobile suits, like GMs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think this show is likely saving this stuff for later in order to not drown the audience in lore from the jump like a lot of other gundam series

That's not too bad for the school part of the plot (and, as many shows have proven, a school setting offers plenty of chances for exposition when it becomes relevant.) but it's also part of why the corporate maneuvering feels so weightless. We don't know why MS are being made, we don't know what the relationship is between corporate and state power, how powerful non-group corps are, if there have been recent wars, if corporate assassination is considered a major escalation or just how the game is played.

Basically all we get is "Delling is rear end in a top hat. Why Charlie hate?".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think the corporate stuff feels weightless and i don't think we need that context for it to have weight? we have plenty enough context from the prologue to understand the significance of pretty much all the actions being taken. maybe there is some additional weight behind them when it turns out they're prepping for an alien invasion or something . so far though i've just assumed it's like modern-ish US MIC where having the coolest newest piece of murder hardware is something that billions are paid for even if you have to essentially invent a reason to use them. if a politician or whoever was asked what's up with all the military spending they'd probably say that even in peacetime they want to be ready and safe in case a war breaks out any moment now. the school is just northrop and lockheed having a gazillion dollar dick measuring contest to justify why so much money is being poured into them instead of other arms manufacturers.

the assassination has weight because it's the primary antagonist who gave the big speech in the prologue getting assassinated by someone within his organization who is also the father of one of the main characters we follow through the show. there's pretty direct ties between that and the impact those events could have on the focus characters who are being fleshed out and whose lives we're invested in. it also seems to be serving several narrative purposes now that prospera has tied back into that same assassination by using it as a source of blackmail. there is plenty of weight to that event and even more has been added retroactively, i don't need ot know who buys the robots to understand the significance of the head of the robot organization being the target of an assassination attempt?

this is the kind of stuff that ibo put on screen in the background for like 5 seconds so the nerds who really care can pause the video and check it out but realistically no one wants to or needs to know. its lack of presence on a background chalkboard is not, imo, a big detractor, though it'd be nice if it was there.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 17, 2022

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If it's anything like real life the corporations are funneling massive amounts of tax dollars to themselves to construct mecha to just stand around on some barely inhabited planet somewhere and "protect" it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's pretty much widely agreed that the school setting isn't going to persist all the way, right? If so, I don't see why the rush in wanting exposition now about setting details that are going to be more relevant later.

If information is being withheld from us, I think we can give the show the benefit of the doubt and assume there is a reason for it, like how we were withheld the explanation about the duel oaths until Suletta had to swear one of her own. It's possible they're setting us up to learn more about the corporate arms race when Suletta does, the political elements come to the front and she figures out what kind of person her mom really is. Putting us in her shoes would be a pretty good reason to delay that exposition until then.

Like, I get it, I'm a sci fi nerd, I want all the worldbuilding bits too, but also I'm happy to let the show do its thing and judge it on how well it pulls that off.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It would be kind of funny if it does end up being at the school for the whole show and the stakes never approach that of the Prologue again

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/wakoudo2929/status/1582113905752801280?s=20&t=qPmmJhVT8kxoiD5VAAO33A

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GimmickMan posted:

It's pretty much widely agreed that the school setting isn't going to persist all the way, right? If so, I don't see why the rush in wanting exposition now about setting details that are going to be more relevant later.

If information is being withheld from us, I think we can give the show the benefit of the doubt and assume there is a reason for it, like how we were withheld the explanation about the duel oaths until Suletta had to swear one of her own. It's possible they're setting us up to learn more about the corporate arms race when Suletta does, the political elements come to the front and she figures out what kind of person her mom really is. Putting us in her shoes would be a pretty good reason to delay that exposition until then.

Like, I get it, I'm a sci fi nerd, I want all the worldbuilding bits too, but also I'm happy to let the show do its thing and judge it on how well it pulls that off.

I think the bolded is exactly it. I think the show isn't opening with an exposition crawl explaining the exact situation because we're meant to basically be learning about it as Suletta does.

The stuff we've been focusing on and giving a lot of attention to(dueling, Delling being an rear end in a top hat, House Jeturk cheating like hell) are all things that directly impact Suletta and Aerial, and that stuff is plenty weighty because it has enormous immediate effects on the protagonists(Suletta being imprisoned with the possibility of expulsion and Aerial being dismantled, Miorine being married off against her will to some rando picked by her monstrous father).

I don't think the overall picture of the corporate arms race is terribly important right now, because that stuff is taking place well above the protagonist's head. The how and the why of why these corporations are rolling around in money to build increasingly powerful weapons can wait for when it's more directly relevant to our protagonists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think the bolded is exactly it. I think the show isn't opening with an exposition crawl explaining the exact situation because we're meant to basically be learning about it as Suletta does.

The stuff we've been focusing on and giving a lot of attention to(dueling, Delling being an rear end in a top hat, House Jeturk cheating like hell) are all things that directly impact Suletta and Aerial, and that stuff is plenty weighty because it has enormous immediate effects on the protagonists(Suletta being imprisoned with the possibility of expulsion and Aerial being dismantled, Miorine being married off against her will to some rando picked by her monstrous father).

I don't think the overall picture of the corporate arms race is terribly important right now, because that stuff is taking place well above the protagonist's head. The how and the why of why these corporations are rolling around in money to build increasingly powerful weapons can wait for when it's more directly relevant to our protagonists.

The problem with that is that we've got a ton of information Suletta doesn't already. We know about her mom's politicking, we know about the Gundams, we know her tragic past, we see the backroom deals in the corridors of power. We know too much for the ignorance approach, but not enough to understand even the basics of the setting Suletta would know. For example, if there are major wars in the recent past, Suletta would probably have heard of them, but we don't know anything beyond the offhand mention of the Drone Wars in a kit manual.

The IBO text scrolls and occasional tablets left on tables let the viewers know a lot about the setting if they cared while not disrupting things much if they didn't. Here, we've got a disconnect from the wider setting that could work for a really dramatic payoff later, but it also could lead to the major plot shift feeling poorly grounded.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

The problem with that is that we've got a ton of information Suletta doesn't already. We know about her mom's politicking, we know about the Gundams, we know her tragic past, we see the backroom deals in the corridors of power. We know too much for the ignorance approach, but not enough to understand even the basics of the setting Suletta would know. For example, if there are major wars in the recent past, Suletta would probably have heard of them, but we don't know anything beyond the offhand mention of the Drone Wars in a kit manual.

The IBO text scrolls and occasional tablets left on tables let the viewers know a lot about the setting if they cared while not disrupting things much if they didn't. Here, we've got a disconnect from the wider setting that could work for a really dramatic payoff later, but it also could lead to the major plot shift feeling poorly grounded.

Tying how much you reveal to the viewer to how much the protagonist knows does not require there to be a 1:1 information parity. We've seen glimpses that tell us that something is going on that Suletta does not yet know about, but broadly speaking we're just as ignorant as she is at the moment to the specifics of what's actually going on.

There's no guarantee Suletta would have heard of or know anything about history or the present political situation. She was effectively a toddler when she went into exile, and her mom fled with her to the most backward insular place in the solar system and raised her on a steady diet of mobile suit piloting and training drills and anime and has seemingly deliberately kept her completely ignorant of everything related to the corporate politicking and her father's death(given that she has no reaction to being sent to Corporate Academy Headed By The Guy Who Ordered Her Father's Death besides excitement at being able to go to a real school). This is the first time in her living memory that she's been outside a tiny bubble of a double digit number of people located on the back rear end end of nowhere.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 18, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In a different topic, I enjoy just how absolutely confidant Suletta is about her ability to kick people's rear end in a mobile suit fight. While she was intimidated by Guel's personality she never once thought she could not beat him down with Aerial.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

In a different topic, I enjoy just how absolutely confidant Suletta is about her ability to kick people's rear end in a mobile suit fight. While she was intimidated by Guel's personality she never once thought she could not beat him down with Aerial.

She's done nothing but run training sims and actual rescue missions (and watch anime) for the around the past 11 years. It would be weird if she was unconfident in her abilities.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is Suletta Gundam's first otaku protagonist

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Is Suletta Gundam's first otaku protagonist

Amuro spent all his time away from school working on circuit boards in his boxers, and had no idea how to talk to girls even when one came to his house after school pretty much every day.

Just saying.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hellbore posted:

She's done nothing but run training sims and actual rescue missions (and watch anime) for the around the past 11 years. It would be weird if she was unconfident in her abilities.

Suletta is very confident in general, honestly. It's masked by her obvious nervousness and stuttering, but she's very consistent about saying what she believes is right, even if she's afraid the person she's talking to won't take it well.

The only difference with piloting is that she's so confident in her abilities there that she even loses the nervousness.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

I mean, she already beat him once.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

Amuro spent all his time away from school working on circuit boards in his boxers, and had no idea how to talk to girls even when one came to his house after school pretty much every day.

Just saying.

Also Build Fighters is a thing that happened, and the two good seasons of that franchise branch starred a pair of serious Gunota. And even besides them and Amuro, Gundam has had a decent number of protagonists who are at the very least into engineering and/or mobile suits.

Coxswain Balls posted:

That was one of my favorite parts of the episode, Suletta hearing she's going to fight Guel again and going "oh that's a relief" even as she's cowering behind someone else is just :discourse: adorable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, she was panicking about facing an opposing pilot until she found out it was Guel, at which point she calmed down.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm certain kamille has watched an anime

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kanos posted:

Tying how much you reveal to the viewer to how much the protagonist knows does not require there to be a 1:1 information parity. We've seen glimpses that tell us that something is going on that Suletta does not yet know about, but broadly speaking we're just as ignorant as she is at the moment to the specifics of what's actually going on.
Always worth recalling the producer said the Prologue was developed after they already had the framework for the story set up, and they had to figure out exactly what they wanted to show off because they were still wanting to keep information about the main series to a minimum; a flash-forward to between the first and second cours was also proposed, as a way to familiarize us with the main characters' relationships, but in the end they decided on working in the backstory to give a taste of how this universe is set up. What impressions we have of the world are then what the writers believe is permissible without diminishing later reveals.

Without the Prologue, from the show itself we would not know at this point: what, exactly, GUND-ARM/Gundam entails in the setting (beyond a reference to them having been disposed of in the past as per the Cathedra Agreement for killing their pilots, and something about data storms); who Ochs Earth or the Vanadis Institute are, that Delling was once subordinate to Sarius; precisely what Prospera's potential motives are (we would only be able to note that her face isn't really damaged and that she has a deceased spouse, which, granted, is something to base a theory on), that there's already mobile-suit technology that can suppress GUND-format, and that Suletta has killed before. (We'd have a little more from the music story - that Prospera fled with Suletta and Aerial to Mercury, that Aerial appears to have a sentient AI, and that Suletta is meant to be an instrument of revenge.) Presumably this information would all have been parceled out as deemed necessary over the coming episodes without the Prologue (though we'll still probably get refreshers regardless).

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like how her post-battle apology isn't for, like, kicking his rear end, it's just because she didn't respect his ability enough before the fight.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when will aerial's ai show up in the actual show

i want the sentient gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't give you a sentient gundam but could I interest you in a Gundam powered by the soul of a tortured psychic child?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh sweet, my GunEvo main

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I can't give you a sentient gundam but could I interest you in a Gundam powered by the soul of a tortured psychic child?

You'll have to be more specific.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

when will aerial's ai show up in the actual show

i want the sentient gundam

Well it can't talk appearntly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what can it do and why hasn't it done that yet

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

what can it do and why hasn't it done that yet

It can assist with piloting. In the tie-in novel, it's fully sapient, but doesn't seem to have many ways to express itself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wish there was at least like the monitor flashing in acknowledgement of a question like in the novel

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rek1TzX2vw

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm certain kamille has watched an anime

Girls don't watch anime.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Delling is a monster but I really like him as a villain so far. His "That is a Gundam, because I said so" and "Yes, I am a king" lines cut through a lot of bullshit. He really gets it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ninjewtsu posted:

i wish there was at least like the monitor flashing in acknowledgement of a question like in the novel

Didn't that happen right before she spots Mio in episode one?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Hellbore posted:

While you were making macaroni art, I was studying the GUND.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

GimmickMan posted:

It's pretty much widely agreed that the school setting isn't going to persist all the way, right?

If I had to place a guess, my bet would be that the first 9-10 episodes are gonna be school life with the last two-three eps of part 1 being the major crash to the status quo that ends suletta’s school days and brings real War and conflict to the forefront, with part 2 being entirely a war drama with all the school characters thrown to the wind across different battle lines.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm cool with a Three Houses structure so long as the writers pick a route that's actually satisfying.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

wdarkk posted:

Didn't that happen right before she spots Mio in episode one?

Not so far as I can see re-watching the scene, but what does happen is that when Suletta is going through the checklist on her phone she's verbalizing each thing on the checklist and as she's doing so, the panoramic monitor has some lights run across it in a pattern before Suletta says "Don't worry Aerial, I did an application for you too". Which implies the pattern on the monitor is a sequence or signal that Suletta recognizes as communication from Aerial.

That said, skimming through the latest episode to see if there's anything similar I did see Guel's half brother ask if Guel has given up on being the ace pilot of Dominicus, and it makes me wonder what Dominicus is. It's presumably not something directly related to the school, but maybe some kind of widely recognized title? Or maybe an organization? Is Dominicus a thing within Cathedra maybe? And I wonder why Guel wants it? Just for recognition from his father?

It also struck me that when the heat management system starts pouring water in, Guel just thinks it's luck on his side while everyone else (bar Suletta; obviously) realizes right away there's foul play and Guel gets fired up after having lost his spirit a few moments before when he realized the Darilbalde's AI was basically fighting on it's own. It's not until his father appears on the monitor asking him why he's not winning that he realizes that the water thing was a trick set up by his father.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
wasn't that kenanji avery guy the ace pilot of dominicus in the prologue? that guy who had the anti-gundam tech and who still hasn't appeared in the series proper

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wasn't that kenanji avery guy the ace pilot of dominicus in the prologue? that guy who had the anti-gundam tech and who still hasn't appeared in the series proper

The Wikia says he's a pilot in the Dominicus Corps, yeah. Or rather, Dominicos on the Wikia; which I'm assuming is the same thing. Not the ace pilot, but a pilot certainly. The ace pilot may have been specified in the prologue and just not be recognized on the Wikia though. So that at least establishes what it is; just not why it's a thing Guel cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If I had to place a guess, my bet would be that the first 9-10 episodes are gonna be school life with the last two-three eps of part 1 being the major crash to the status quo that ends suletta’s school days and brings real War and conflict to the forefront, with part 2 being entirely a war drama with all the school characters thrown to the wind across different battle lines.

Re Rise will be the model for Gundam going forward,