Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

i dont think games moderation needs more probations etc overall, just this thread. but also i think the thread should just be deleted at this point

I guess whatever our differing opinions on video games, out opinions on video game forum moderation seem to line up.

I've been on a lot of forums in my life and I think each has their own distinct culture. SA has a very...anarchic culture where you've always been able to get away with things you'd never, ever get away with on most other forums. Going around calling people loving idiots - as many in this thread gleefully do - is generally called flaming and will earn you an instant warning or ban if you keep it up. But I'd never probe anybody for that on this forum because it's just not how things have ever been done around here. I think it takes a more flagrant, determined violation of the few, simple rules we do have to deserve a probation or worse.

And that thread seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. We could have a second iteration of the thread - there's nothing special or unique about the one we have now that says we can't keep it locked and simply start over again. At this point it just feels like the thread is tainted and will attract controversy no matter what. Maybe that would still happen with a "do over" thread, I dunno. Somebody else will probably be the one to decide, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regardless of anything else remaking the thread is probably a good idea anyways at this point.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’ve tried to write out my thoughts about this a few times now, but the more time goes on the less convinced I am that there needs to be a thread. Industry news and industry abuse is discussed already across a number of threads as it happens.

If people just can’t help themselves and desperately need to read deeply stupid, uninformed takes on every piece of gaming news or abuse allegation, the /r/Games subreddit exists.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mode 7 posted:

I’ve tried to write out my thoughts about this a few times now, but the more time goes on the less convinced I am that there needs to be a thread. Industry news and industry abuse is discussed already across a number of threads as it happens.

If people just can’t help themselves and desperately need to read deeply stupid, uninformed takes on every piece of gaming news or abuse allegation, the /r/Games subreddit exists.

I think this is where I land on things too. In the past, I have most often lurked in this thread as well as the games industry news thread as I generally don't really feel like I have much to contribute to the conversations.

As it stands, I don't really see the value of the news thread. I would venture to guess that most people here that are online enough to post in that thread are probably in a few Discord servers where this poo poo is already getting discussed or following enough people on Twitter that we'll all see it anyway. If an SA poster isn't actively following the news on Twitter or in any Discords where it gets discussed, they're probably not going to be hanging out reading an industry news thread.

Maybe that's a bit reductive. I don't know. I just feel like there's not much point to a thread like that here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I find the thread valuable, speaking personally. It's helped me be aware of industry happenings that I wouldn't otherwise have known about, since I don't go browsing nebulous Discords or subreddits for gaming news otherwise.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arrrthritis posted:

Trad Games also has a similar thread and somehow they don't devolve into page after page of terrible posting.

I'm not a mod but I've been reading the TG as an Industry thread since it was first made, so maybe I can give some input on it. The dirty secret of it is that it came out of the wake of the grognards.txt, which used to pick up industry gossip or outside or inter-forum drama to rubberneck at. Some people wanted a place real issues could still be discussed or lightly riffed on, but without all the other baggage a .txt-type mock thread gets.

I think it still drifts a little into mockthread territory sometimes, but the big difference might just be the level of active users in it. The thread can be quiet for days or weeks when there's nothing to talk about. Most of the people reading it aren't looped into the tempests of drama on Twitter, so there's not a lot reposted there unless someone has context to do a clear write-up. There was some discussion recently about the cheating drama in pro-level chess and people were pleased it wasn't "another exploitative business underpaying workers or sex creep was called out."

It mostly focuses on issues with tabletop RPGs as a community and industry, I think because the board game blowups are usually confined to the board game thread, Magic: The Gathering drama is confined to the Magic threads, etc. The Wahammer stuff... is its own weird entity. There's some overlap in people across those threads but they can be pretty balkanized. The thread can get lovely when there's backbiting and sniping at other posters but I don't know... fewer active posters doing that or fewer people inclined to do that, I guess. When it's slow it can sometime digress into beating dead horses like analyzing the mechanical pros/cons of each Dungeons & Dragons edition again, but that probably comes with the territory.

I was reading the comic industry thread for a while but I fell off doing it regularly and when I did it was pretty small and slow, too. BSS also has big divides between the webcomic readers and superhero comic readers and small niches for indie/foreign published comics, so that does mean "industry" discussion tends to be split around that, too.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games is a high traffic forum so whaht can work in slower forums may not here, because theres more people reading and posting

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess whatever our differing opinions on video games, out opinions on video game forum moderation seem to line up.

I've been on a lot of forums in my life and I think each has their own distinct culture. SA has a very...anarchic culture where you've always been able to get away with things you'd never, ever get away with on most other forums. Going around calling people loving idiots - as many in this thread gleefully do - is generally called flaming and will earn you an instant warning or ban if you keep it up. But I'd never probe anybody for that on this forum because it's just not how things have ever been done around here. I think it takes a more flagrant, determined violation of the few, simple rules we do have to deserve a probation or worse.

And that thread seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. We could have a second iteration of the thread - there's nothing special or unique about the one we have now that says we can't keep it locked and simply start over again. At this point it just feels like the thread is tainted and will attract controversy no matter what. Maybe that would still happen with a "do over" thread, I dunno. Somebody else will probably be the one to decide, anyway.

yeah for example on any other forum if i repeatedly flamed a mod about their smt opinions i would be destroyed and perma banned, probably on the first time i did it lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Podima posted:

I find the thread valuable, speaking personally. It's helped me be aware of industry happenings that I wouldn't otherwise have known about, since I don't go browsing nebulous Discords or subreddits for gaming news otherwise.

It’s a very useful thread as I don’t browse reddit or the garbage bird site with a terrible format that drives its users insane, where much of the news unfortunately originates. the thread can be a convenient starting point to catch up with the source of, for example, the bayonetta VA story since in the span of a day discord discussions or whatever have moved four steps on from the original story to the point of making memes about the platinum exec’s twitter account being closed and it’s like “wait, what is this even about again?”

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i have a far more serious issue to bring forward. i have noticed the pro dota 2 thread just got stickied for the international and yet worlds 2022 for league of legends has been going on this entire month and we have not been stickied. this is a clear bias on behavilf of the mdoerators and unacceptable.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

i have a far more serious issue to bring forward. i have noticed the pro dota 2 thread just got stickied for the international and yet worlds 2022 for league of legends has been going on this entire month and we have not been stickied. this is a clear bias on behavilf of the mdoerators and unacceptable.

Esports, biases resolved thread stuck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

youre right both should be gassed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Please unsticky both of those threads, as MOBAs are fail.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Please unsticky both of those threads, as MOBAs are fail.

No, many people love and enjoy getting insanely pissed at video games across the world and the best of those are the esports lords we love to watch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Why is this guy still a mod sheesh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

No, many people love and enjoy getting insanely pissed at video games across the world and the best of those are the esports lords we love to watch.

Bad shoot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
is there guidance on esport stuff getting stickied? Would there be interest if I curate a list of big smash majors to setup GDTs for?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

is there guidance on esport stuff getting stickied? Would there be interest if I curate a list of big smash majors to setup GDTs for?

Send me a PM when there’s a big event and we can go from there. I’m not really into Smash, but can always sticky a thread for an event when they’re happening and make sure the title is relevant. We’ve been trying to keep stickied threads new and interesting and a big event is definitely worth showcasing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Stux posted:

games is a high traffic forum so whaht can work in slower forums may not here, because theres more people reading and posting

Yeah I think Video Games has... I guess more general activity and like "in groups"(?) of posters? People posting in the TG and BSS industry threads are the same people who post in the like 5 or 6 other "main" with each other, including their respective Forum Chat Threads, for 5 or 10 or 15 years now. They don't all get along all the time, but there's not any tension or suspicion that someone you don't recognize is some secret alt-right troll or something. The Video Games industry thread seems like it's pulling in a lot of different groups who don't interact much and are wary of one another from unrelated slapfights or past trolling, and video gaming as whole does have a lot of that outside SA that puts people on guard.

It might settle down with time as idiots are chased off and a general posting tone is calibrated, but it'll probably have pretty wild swings in between, if people are willing to stomach that on top of it being a generally negative-tone thread. Which is another thing because Video Game industry news is an insurmountably high amount of constant poo poo news to a few bright moments.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 17, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
seems like there's still a problem with bad speculative shitposts in the industry thread. ive helpfully pointed out the source of the issue so hopefully it can be dealt with

Only registered members can see post attachments!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

*chuckles* bust rodd

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Esports, biases resolved thread stuck.

cowardly, use your position to enforce personal biases next time

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Send me a PM when there’s a big event and we can go from there. I’m not really into Smash, but can always sticky a thread for an event when they’re happening and make sure the title is relevant. We’ve been trying to keep stickied threads new and interesting and a big event is definitely worth showcasing.

:tipshat: there’s an exciting enough one this weekend, I’ll see what I can do

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Please make Stux the IK of the Games Industry News thread, I feel like it would be a good outlet for his energy

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh that's a wonderful idea. I wholeheartedly endorse this. It would really give Stux the chance to take on some responsibility and do a lot of good for the forums. I think we should do it now, before he comes off probation, as a nice surprise reward for all his hard work.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
i also vote for stux as games industry thread IK

rox
Sep 7, 2016

please dont punish stux when hes already said he doesnt want to do it

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Stux posted:

i will enforce it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it's OK as long as IKs are allowed to chainprobe incredibly bad posters

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mordiceius posted:

Stux and I don't see eye to eye on many things, but when it comes to the Games Industry thread they seem to always be correct and well-reasoned in their responses. As long as they don't just close it as their first IK action I think Stux would do a great job.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

he doesnt want to

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

haha what posted:

he doesnt want to

The best ones never do.

Vote for Stux

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

haha what posted:

he doesnt want to

Maybe he can stop playing Thread Sheriff then?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lazy Robot posted:

shut the gently caress up

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
make stux an ik of the feedback thread so he can chainprobe that dude

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Violen posted:

make stux an ik of the feedback thread so he can chainprobe that dude

now here’s an idea I can get behind

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lazy Robot posted:

Lady Radia posted:

shut the gently caress up

I did ask people to report posts in that thread rather than make more of those kinds of posts.

I also want to thank others for hitting a post or two while I was asleep. (I, as lame as this sounds, had a 'dream' about there being a ton of posts and a ton of reports which was not something I thought I would groggily wake up to.) So far it is working.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

VideoGames posted:

I did ask people to report posts in that thread rather than make more of those kinds of posts.

I also want to thank others for hitting a post or two while I was asleep. (I, as lame as this sounds, had a 'dream' about there being a ton of posts and a ton of reports which was not something I thought I would groggily wake up to.) So far it is working.

VG, I too have had dreams about this kind of thing. You are not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in my restless dreams, i see that place. gbs.