Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Soonmot posted:

also, I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but I did not like Marcus, especially how he seemed to be there to refute Ivanova being gay, I do not get bi vibes from her at all. Marcus feels like someone Whedon would write, and while I like Buffy/Angel and there is some quipiness in B5, he just didn't seem to fit.

I'm not sure you're reading that right. It's pretty clear that Susan ISN'T attracted to Marcus the same way he is to her. Hell, even in that final tearful scene over his corpse in Medlab, she isn't saying "oh, but I loved him and didn't find the way to tell him", she's saying "I knew he loved me, but I didn't love him back. But I could have at least given him a pity gently caress or something." Notice that the secret she gives Delenn in "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" isn't "I love Marcus but can't tell him", it's "I loved Talia."

Vavrek posted:

She has an ex-boyfriend show up in Season 1.

And frankly considering HOW ex- he is, one could argue that even back when she was with him she wasn't really feeling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
that could be it, those were scenes I zoned out on.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

jng2058 posted:

And frankly considering HOW ex- he is, one could argue that even back when she was with him she wasn't really feeling it.

That would make sense. She may also have just left him because he was a dipshit in other ways, not just being an Earth Firster.

I'm still always amused by Franklin's reaction when Marcus mentions being interested. "You are so far from her type ..." given all Franklin's seen is maybe that ex, the Lumati ambassador, and the blonde woman on the main cast.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What was the purpose of the eating ritual when Delenn invites Sheridan to eat in her quarters for the first time? Was it just that he was a guest or was there more going on that i can’t remember.

I don’t think they were suggesting that’s how they always eat and it was for a more specific purpose, but I can’t remember what it was.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

theblackw0lf posted:

What was the purpose of the eating ritual when Delenn invites Sheridan to eat in her quarters for the first time? Was it just that he was a guest or was there more going on that i can’t remember.

I don’t think they were suggesting that’s how they always eat and it was for a more specific purpose, but I can’t remember what it was.

iirc, there's something like... three rituals the minbari need to do as part of their courtship and that was one of them?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

iirc, there's something like... three rituals the minbari need to do as part of their courtship and that was one of them?

The other ritual was loving in front of Lennier.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sheridan posted:

Woohoo!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The other ritual was loving in front of Lennier.

Rough for the rest of the Minbari that all courtship planet-wide had to come to a halt when he went to B5.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Rough for the rest of the Minbari that all courtship planet-wide had to come to a halt when he went to B5.

I mean, they have video call technology

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Rappaport posted:

I mean, they have video call technology

Drall just sends a lennier hologram everywhere

or lennier just idk, remotes into G'Kar's cybernetic eye?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Having a portrait of Lennier in your bedroom becomes mandatory in every minbari home.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It wasn't even just Lennier, it was a whole bunch of Minbari.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It wasn't even just Lennier, it was a whole bunch of Minbari.

So make it a group photo.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I've only just found out that Byron is also the TF2 medic, so can no longer hate him as much.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Two Owls posted:

I've only just found out that Byron is also the TF2 medic, so can no longer hate him as much.
Byron is also a shitload of videogame characters. Sean in The Saboteur, Gamov in Ninja Gaiden, Travis Touchdown in No More Heroes, Miller in MGSV, and literally hundreds of 'here's my dozen lines of dialogue' NPCs in as many other games.

(I immediately think of "the Dark Dragon is truuuuly an eeeevil blaaaaaade!")

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

Byron is also a shitload of videogame characters. Sean in The Saboteur, Gamov in Ninja Gaiden, Travis Touchdown in No More Heroes, Miller in MGSV, and literally hundreds of 'here's my dozen lines of dialogue' NPCs in as many other games.

I guess it helped pay the bills at some point, eh? :v:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Chevy Slyme posted:

I think that is maybe the implication of the way Humans ascend beyond known space in Deconstruction of Falling Stars with not a Narn or Centauri to be seen, BUT JMS himself disputed this interpretation fwiw.

Per Lurker's Guide:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/guide/088.html

Also, this exchange from, I think, the first episode after the pilot:

Kosh: They are alone. They are a dying people. We should let them pass.
Sinclair: Who? The Narn or the Centauri?
Kosh: Yes.

...seems to be some in-dialogue reference to this, I guess it could be interpreted the way JMS says it. Although how Kosh knows isn't clear.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Huh

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1582172338719637504?s=46&t=QSk67YJuvKhTpj_qzW3fiQ

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah couldn't let that jewel of a story disappear could you, Joey.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"Yes I promise he comes back in this short story. No need to go read it, everything is wrapped up satisfactorily, I assure you."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Gnome de plume posted:

"Yes I promise he comes back in this short story. No need to go read it, everything is wrapped up satisfactorily, I assure you."

https://twitter.com/grant/status/1582185012916805633?s=46&t=gN5Uifq-g7_5KuLvlaRKuA

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hell, I think he's still proud of it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:stare:

He's addicted to tempting the gods, maybe he just enjoys the lightning bolts.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm sure it wasn't this way for budgetary reasons, but I really wish the White Stars used the same holographic display systems that Minbari bridges/combat information centers use.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It’s like that Black Mirror program: asking the tough questions about the morality of secretly cloning the woman you were in love with and then offering her the choice of living alone with you on an isolated planet as your lover or living alone with you on an isolated planet as your wife.

If Marcus had instead created an AI Ivanova and given her a robot body, would that in any way change the morality of the situation? “Creepy in an entirely different way” is an acceptable answer. Also, something something deep moral questions raised in Battlestar Galactica and ignore the fact that all the good Cylons are hot women.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like that story, its brand of horror really gets to me

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Narsham posted:

If Marcus had instead created an AI Ivanova and given her a robot body, would that in any way change the morality of the situation? “Creepy in an entirely different way” is an acceptable answer. Also, something something deep moral questions raised in Battlestar Galactica and ignore the fact that all the good Cylons are hot women.

TNG did something similar, but I think it was a bit more open about how downright creepy it was when the real woman the virtual woman was modeled on found out about it.

Buffy also did something similar, with better clarity about how hosed up it is.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You'd think it'd perhaps be something he'd quietly move to the back of the shelf behind everything else he's written given whole the thing with Claudia Christian but welp

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seemlar posted:

You'd think it'd perhaps be something he'd quietly move to the back of the shelf behind everything else he's written given whole the thing with Claudia Christian but welp

Straczynski and self-awareness have not always gone together in the same sentence.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat I am loving the hell out of season 1 on this 3rd rewatch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So right now all we know is that a pilot episode for a proposed reboot is in the works, right? Is there anything else that has been confirmed?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JMS wrote the pilot and submitted it. He says it was well received. CW has not yet decided if they're going to make the show or not. Or, at least they haven't told anyone what their decision is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

TNG did something similar, but I think it was a bit more open about how downright creepy it was when the real woman the virtual woman was modeled on found out about it.
Ah yes, the first Barclay episohahaha nope, it was a Geordi episode. Of course.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Payndz posted:

Ah yes, the first Barclay episohahaha nope, it was a Geordi episode. Of course.

You ever consider trying to ...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

runaway dog posted:

drat I am loving the hell out of season 1 on this 3rd rewatch.

The more you watch, the better season 1 seems because of all the things you realize tie together and pay off later.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Winifred Madgers posted:

The more you watch, the better season 1 seems because of all the things you realize tie together and pay off later.

One of the more amusing parts of watching the Babylon 5 fo the First Time show is the fact that they've heard that "everything" ties together and are consistantly latching on to the wrong things to be going forward. For instance the "Great Egg" from Believers is something they seem sure will come back, but the healing machine from Quality of Mercy? Standard sci-fi one off plot device. :doh:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

jng2058 posted:

One of the more amusing parts of watching the Babylon 5 fo the First Time show is the fact that they've heard that "everything" ties together and are consistantly latching on to the wrong things to be going forward. For instance the "Great Egg" from Believers is something they seem sure will come back, but the healing machine from Quality of Mercy? Standard sci-fi one off plot device. :doh:

Marcus uses it to save Ivanova

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

runaway dog posted:

Marcus uses it to save Ivanova

No poo poo. And Franklin and Sheridan use it to save Garibaldi like three episodes after it was introduced in Quality of Mercy. That was my point. The B5 for the 1st Time guys are convinced the Great Egg is meaningful and the healing machine is not, when the opposoite is true. THAT'S why it's funny to watch 'em go!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

No poo poo. And Franklin and Sheridan use it to save Garibaldi like three episodes after it was introduced in Quality of Mercy. That was my point. The B5 for the 1st Time guys are convinced the Great Egg is meaningful and the healing machine is not, when the opposite is true. THAT'S why it's funny to watch 'em go!

It's been enjoyable watching them go, and this week's reaction should be Chrysalis soooo...the 'season 1 is a bit dry' should kinda fade from them there I think. It's been interesting seeing people dance around in the YT comments when the guys have been harsh on O'Hare's acting, and thankfully nobody has spoiled them on his imminent departure, only that he was suffering behind the scenes in terms of mental health, but not quite the scale of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

jng2058 posted:

No poo poo. And Franklin and Sheridan use it to save Garibaldi like three episodes after it was introduced in Quality of Mercy. That was my point. The B5 for the 1st Time guys are convinced the Great Egg is meaningful and the healing machine is not, when the opposoite is true. THAT'S why it's funny to watch 'em go!

my bad, that's what I get for skimming