Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

worms butthole guy posted:

I've literally never read a King book. If you had to choose one....what one

Practically any of the short story collections are fine to good. Earlier the better, imo.

So, Night Shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Shining.

I also recently just read Under the Dome and thought it was fantastic. A great premise and execution but it's very long.

quote:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when - or if - it will go away.

Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens - town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing - even murder - to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Night Shift.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah this is the one. If you don't love at least half the stories in there, Stephen King is just not your writer.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

In case anybody else hasn't read about this
[https://www.slashfilm.com/726299/ho...y%20dehydrated.

And you know, i can watch movies made with unscrupulous conditions. But it isn't like he changed Wendy in the pursuit of making her a better, more compelling character for a more compelling story. Quite the opposite.

King does hate Jack losing all sympathy and humanity for personal reasons but he also deplores what was done to Wendy
https://screen-queens.com/2014/06/04/king-vs-kubrick-the-shinings-wendy-torrance/

I understand an adaptation is not the original work and never can be, but if you wanna tell your own story, just make your own story, don't claim "based on a book."

I’m not going to defend Kubrick’s treatment of Duvall and if that’s disqualifying, so be it. But I strongly disagree with King’s statement concerning Wendy that “She is basically just there to scream and be stupid and that’s not the woman that I wrote about."- that feels to me a false characterization of her character and very belittling to an incredible performance that Duvall gives. And it’s Duvall, not Kubrick’s nonsense, that I give credit for that performance.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 18, 2022

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

The_Doctor posted:

Did you see Nick Digilio?

Just looked him up and, no, I did not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's generally agreed on that King is a better short story writer than a novelist, and while that's not entirely true, there's a strong bone of credibility in it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Timeless Appeal posted:

But yeah, Kubrick was also a schmuck as opposed to King who for all his faults and challenges seems like a pretty decent guy.

King may be a much nicer dude than Kubrick ever was, but Kubrick is one of the greatest filmmakers who ever lived and The Shining is a masterpiece. Essential viewing for those into film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A collector’s version of Ghostwatch is coming out on Blu-ray in October for UK peeps, and December for US peeps. Currently it’s $20 on preorder on Amazon US, which is a great price.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

WeaponX posted:

I’m not going to defend Kubrick’s treatment of Duvall and if that’s disqualifying, so be it. But I strongly disagree with King’s statement concerning Wendy that “She is basically just there to scream and be stupid and that’s not the woman that I wrote about."- that feels to me a false characterization of her character and very belittling to an incredible performance that Duvall gives. And it’s Duvall, not Kubrick’s nonsense, that I give credit for that performance.
Yeah, that's a weird reading of her character in the film. She's the one holding everything together and actually doing the caretaker job while Jack sinks deeper and deeper into self-indulgent self-pity.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Here's a good one whats the best horror film that you've never seen, apparently for me its Hausu.

Letterboxd by average rating:... The Angela Lansbury version of Sweeney Todd? Then Kwaidan.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hollismason posted:

Here's a good one whats the best horror film that you've never seen, apparently for me its Hausu.

I've never seen The Exorcist in spite of having seen some of the sequels and I've really got no excuse for that. Catholic horror really gets to me and I've liked other Friedkin movies! I don't know why I haven't!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Mover posted:

I hadn’t watched the original Halloween until this year, I am now unshamed tho

I never thought the original Halloween as that great. It seems like a very straightforward slasher kind of movie without much depth to the characters. The Rob Zombie remake fixed that.

I know, my opinion is probably bad. :\

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Burkion posted:

It's generally agreed on that King is a better short story writer than a novelist, and while that's not entirely true, there's a strong bone of credibility in it.

His short stories are always good, but the novels are about a 50/50 crapshoot on good or not.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bula Vinaka posted:

. The Rob Zombie remake fixed that.

I know, my opinion is def 100% right

fixed that for ya

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

In regards to Halloween, the new trilogy has my fav mask

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Burkion posted:

Completely ridiculous. King has more esteemed and quality novels than almost any other US author, horror or not, plus extraordinary short story collections

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RebekahMcKendry/status/1581898364144144384?s=20&t=if-No_zQoRVOZvpUAOgFlQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That person is super scared of something that isn’t that scary

You could kill them with your own pee

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

el oso posted:

Completely ridiculous. King has more esteemed and quality novels than almost any other US author, horror or not, plus extraordinary short story collections

How does that contradict comparison between his own works?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i generally dislike King but I really like the Stand

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Stephen King's great but he also wrote UNDER THE DOME and therefore deserves the electric chair

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

STAC Goat posted:

The Shining is a great movie. The problem with the adaption has just always been that Kubrick completely flipped the entire point of the book. And that was personal to King so obviously he was bothered by it. But fans get mad when an adaption dramatically changes a key element of the original work all the time. So the way that criticism of the Shining has always been dismissed out of hand and mocked has always seemed really lovely.

King has been open about the fact that in his 20s he was a drunk and a bad drunk, and that he's eternally blessed that Tabby stayed with him. Jack Torrance is an autobiographical character, with King putting his own worst fears on the page. Book Jack is, like King, a drunk in recovery, and the Overlook uses that as a way to slip into him and make him fall. But movie Jack is an abusive rear end in a top hat right from the start and all the Overlook does is set him off. drat right King took that personally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well he should get over it bc he gave up the rights or whatever to an adaptation and a good adaptation doesn’t do it 1:1

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How often does Shudder remove movies and add new ones? I signed up for a 7-day trial through Amazon, and I’m trying to decide if I should keep it.

I’m extremely impressed by the selection I see now and I’ve spent most waking hours over the past couple of days watching films I’ve never seen, and ones I haven’t seen in years, but I’m just wondering how often they add other titles.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

Just watched The Night House last night and really dug it. Anyone got recommendations for atmospheric ghost stories that have well-acted human drama at the center?

The movie The Night House reminded me the most of is The Changeling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jedit posted:

King has been open about the fact that in his 20s he was a drunk and a bad drunk, and that he's eternally blessed that Tabby stayed with him. Jack Torrance is an autobiographical character, with King putting his own worst fears on the page. Book Jack is, like King, a drunk in recovery, and the Overlook uses that as a way to slip into him and make him fall. But movie Jack is an abusive rear end in a top hat right from the start and all the Overlook does is set him off. drat right King took that personally.

I know all this, have known for years, and I’ve struggled for a long time with the same problems King has.

I’m also well familiar with his abuse of Shelly Duvall on the set.

It’s all bad but nonetheless I think The Shining is my #1 favorite horror flick of all time.

I can understand King’s negative reaction to the film’s changing of things. I may be way off base on this, but I think there’s a misunderstanding about him writing this book.

I don’t think he was in recovery and sober when he wrote this. It was published in 1977 or 78 and I think he was far from sober then. Correct me if I am wrong.

It may not have been a cry for help but it was at least him looking at himself, either consciously or subconsciously, and making a statement about that, about addiction.

Either way, it was indeed a very personal thing, for him. But Kubrick wanted to go a different way with it. Kubrick’s Jack Torrance is clearly unhinged from the beginning, which is the real departure from the book.

My opinion on Kubrick is that he’s one of the greatest directors of all time, and it’s fascinating to see him dipping his toe into the horror pool here. And like all Kubrick stuff except the very early ones, every single line-reading, every performance, everything you see in the background, every camera angle, and everything you hear that’s diegetic and everything you hear on the score is the way it is, because he wanted it to be that way.

You may not like it, and I understand if you don’t. There’s a made-for-tv miniseries that is closer to the book, if anyone would rather watch that, and while it’s nowhere near as good as Kubrick, it does have a couple moments that book readers will dig.

But if there are horror fans here who have never seen the Kubrick film (and I now know there are), do yourself a favor.

Horror is an acquired taste and a lot of us have different tastes, but I don’t think I’m off-base in saying the execution, the whole picture/cinematography/sound/performances/score in The Shining has to put it near the top of greatest horror films ever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you want to start with a novel instead of short stories, I'd recommend 'Salem's Lot or Pet Semetary. Both are really strong and neither are the 1000 page doorstops that King is known for.

Jedit posted:

Book Jack was also a monster, he was just a monster being described by someone who thought he was only slightly worse than himself. Jack needs a new job because he hospitalized a kid for pranking him and "accidentally" broke his own son's arm. Kubrick saw that and used it to refute King's take on him. Compare Jack (the monster written sympathetically by an unreliable author) against Humbert Humbert (a monster described sympathetically as an unreliable narrator as a rebuke by the author).

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

King is really known for his sprawling writing and mixing in multiple weird fantastic elements into his horror, but I think the most tightly written book he ever did is a The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon which has yet to develop much of a reputation but I quite like.

It’s a small scale story about a little girl who gets separated from her family and lost in the woods and starts to see something following her, which may be a bear, might be something more, or might just be her imagination. It’s only 200 pages and just a bit more real and focused in its character work.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Shining is great, just an unrelenting bad dream with the worst dad in earth and best mom on the planet.

also it has some insane impossible architecture which just makes the whole thing much more disorienting and dreamy

https://youtu.be/0sUIxXCCFWw

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

King may be a much nicer dude than Kubrick ever was, but Kubrick is one of the greatest filmmakers who ever lived and The Shining is a masterpiece. Essential viewing for those into film.
Yes, its one of my favorite movies, and I enjoy most of Kubrick's work, but if I had to choose between it existing and Shelley Duvall being terrorized, I would rather it not exist.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Book Jack was also a monster, he was just a monster being described by someone who thought he was only slightly worse than himself. Jack needs a new job because he hospitalized a kid for pranking him and "accidentally" broke his own son's arm. Kubrick saw that and used it to refute King's take on him. Compare Jack (the monster written sympathetically by an unreliable author) against Humbert Humbert (a monster described sympathetically as an unreliable narrator as a rebuke by the author).
I mean honestly, invoking Lolita is a big look for Kubrick. The movie struggled because of censorship, not that I would want Kubrick directing a teenage girl through a more sexual version of the film. But Kubrick also really misunderstands Lolita--not that he's the only person guilty of this sin--and it's not a great adaptation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I liked Halloween Ends. What a crazy movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Road runner,

That coyote’s after you

Road Runner,

If he catches you, you’re through!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

alf_pogs posted:

The Shining is great, just an unrelenting bad dream with the worst dad in earth and best mom on the planet.

also it has some insane impossible architecture which just makes the whole thing much more disorienting and dreamy

https://youtu.be/0sUIxXCCFWw

I was going to refute that, but after watching that video, I can definitely see it as a directorial choice to make the Overlook subliminally disorienting, especially considering how much time the camera spends following people. It's definitely something you wouldn't really notice outright unless you were really paying attention.

Also the Marathon engine would have handled a map of the Overlook :colbert:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the other thing worth mentioning when you talk about King and The Shining adaptation is that a good number of the things that stick with a person about The Shining aren't from the book, they were only in the movie. Blood elevator, for one.

Whatever he thought of the movie, King made it and it's ending canon in the sequel Doctor Sleep.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

Whatever he thought of the movie, King made it and it's ending canon in the sequel Doctor Sleep.

...No he didn't? Doctor Sleep kept the book's ending. The Overlook was burned down by the boiler, Dick Halloran lived a fulfilling life after the events, Jack's spirit survived despite his possession and part of him always remained "good". What aspects of the film do you think King kept for Doctor Sleep?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Iron Crowned posted:

Also the Marathon engine would have handled a map of the Overlook :colbert:

Anybody who hasn't should track down the Redrum TC for Duke Nukem 3D. The map author did a fantastic job of recreating the Overlook, and used clever BUILD engine effects like the impossible courtyard where a sector overlaps with the hallway behind it and stuff like that. I think there are a few hallways that shouldn't be possible but there are invisible teleports that patch the hallway sections together.

I think he took a few liberties too but for the most part it feels exactly like it should.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

...No he didn't? Doctor Sleep kept the book's ending. The Overlook was burned down by the boiler, Dick Halloran lived a fulfilling life after the events, Jack's spirit survived despite his possession and part of him always remained "good". What aspects of the film do you think King kept for Doctor Sleep?

Doctor Sleep takes the Overlook burning down and moves it from the end of The Shining to the end of Doctor Sleep. In Doctor Sleep it's not burned down yet, Danny has to do it himself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Doctor Sleep takes the Overlook burning down and moves it from the end of The Shining to the end of Doctor Sleep. In Doctor Sleep it's not burned down yet, Danny has to do it himself.

Maybe in the film, which I still haven't seen, but not the novel. The finale takes place where the Overlook burned down. King didn't write the screenplay, but he did approve of Flanagan's changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe in the film, which I still haven't seen, but not the novel. The finale takes place where the Overlook burned down. King didn't write the screenplay, but he did approve of Flanagan's changes.

Right sorry I misread, thought we were talking about the movie.