Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FungiCap posted:

I'm legitimately wondering if we will ever see mass IPv6 adoption in our lifetimes and I'm not even that old.
It was basically zero until around 2015 and now it's like 40%, although it's not evenly distributed by country, so I'd like to think that if it continues to increase at its current rate for the next 10 years it will hit a point where all the holdouts have to give in and support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
eventually one of the major players who thinks they can dictate to the rest of the tech world so, apple is going to say gently caress it, ipv4 is going away in the next OS, everyone deal with it or get a whole lot of complaints from our numerous and rich customers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you losers should get a good ISP like Comcast if you want IPv6

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FungiCap posted:

The answer to ipv4 woes is always just another layer of NAT!

I'm legitimately wondering if we will ever see mass IPv6 adoption in our lifetimes and I'm not even that old.

Using a VM that NAT's through my host machine, which NAT's through my home router, which NAT's through my carrier level.
Only three levels of NAT? That's amateur stuff!

You could easily add NAT64 which comes in LSN, STL and CLAT variants.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i went to college and i still think ipv6 is too complicated for the layman.

how the gently caress am i supposed to mnemonically remember 128 bits

at least ipv4 is like a telephone number, and the human brain is pretty good at remembering phone numbers

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

go play outside Skyler posted:

at least ipv4 is like a telephone number, and the human brain is pretty good at remembering phone numbers
when has anyone ever argued that the layperson is supposed to remember ipv4 or ipv6 addresses, when they can't remember phone numbers?

it's why we have this thing called the domain name system

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

when has anyone ever argued that the layperson is supposed to remember ipv4 or ipv6 addresses, when they can't remember phone numbers?

it's why we have this thing called the domain name system

i don't believe we'll ever be able to stop having to type ip addresses or compare and remember them. ipv6 plainly sucks for that

nat is fine and there's absolutely no reason to not be using both ipv4 and ipv6 in parallel forever. it's not like a physical port on a machine that has a cost or a security risk like some old protocols

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

when I was an incredibly stupid teen in the winXP era I set up a laserjet 5si to rawdog the internet on port 9100 and that was enough for me to never want publicly routable addresses on my network again

not even on the router

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you dont, you concatenate the zeroes, but I'm sure you already knew that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

especially on the router

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol what i don't remember ip addresses. i assign them and put them in hosts file or ssh config or whatever. and as mentioned above there are lots of shortcuts we take in writing v6 addresses

for ipv6 to be "too complicated" you have to be loving up at so many levels it's not funny (yes it is, it's very funny)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think I can remember IP addresses but then I always get them confused

"Oh yea that IP was a cobaltstrike redirector of UNC-such-and-such"
[narrator] It was something completely different

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ipv6 sucks rear end and im never going to use it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ipv4 should be private only and ipv6 should be public only

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

idgaf if ipv6 can be shortened internally because i can use ipv4 on my internal network

public ipv6 addresses are long and unmemorable and sorry about your nameserver fantasies but you will always eventually have to type one by hand

also my point about keeping both alive at the same time still stands. it literally costs nothing

e: exactly what the other poster said: ipv6 for public addressing and ipv4 for private. it's just fine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ipv6 should have just been i.p.v.6.i.p.v.4

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

idgaf if ipv6 can be shortened internally because i can use ipv4 on my internal network

public ipv6 addresses are long and unmemorable and sorry about your nameserver fantasies but you will always eventually have to type one by hand

also my point about keeping both alive at the same time still stands. it literally costs nothing

e: exactly what the other poster said: ipv6 for public addressing and ipv4 for private. it's just fine.

i have never, ever had to type one by hand and i've been using it on my networks (via tunnelbroker for the most part) for like 15 years now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shaggar posted:

lol bad news

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

even a monkey can remember 16 octets

are you stupider than a monkey?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i have typed them out by hand but that's because folks tend to forget ipv6 needs firewalls too
and also that link-local autoconfigured IP's exist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

i have typed them out by hand but that's because folks tend to forget ipv6 needs firewalls too
and also that link-local autoconfigured IP's exist

i copy and paste for firewall stuff

i think the closest i've come to typing one out by hand was copy and pasting a prefix and then adding ::1

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao imagine choosing this as your hill

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you're routinely typing in ipv4 addresses (that aren't specifically-chosen-to-be-memorable DNS server addresses) then you're really doing something wrong

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Actually if you're "routinely" typing in DNS server addresses then you're also doing something wrong, probably related to touching computers too much, but I can accept needing to do that very occasionally

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
My ISP offers ipv6 addresses (and by addresses i mean a block so large i could never use them even in a million years) for free and its great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

shame on an IGA posted:

when I was an incredibly stupid teen in the winXP era I set up a laserjet 5si to rawdog the internet on port 9100 and that was enough for me to never want publicly routable addresses on my network again

not even on the router

okay. why?

seriously, what was the use case for that?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

My ISP offers ipv6 addresses (and by addresses i mean a block so large i could never use them even in a million years) for free and its great

yeah that's how it's supposed to work. A /48 is standard but some ISP's are more stingy and give out a /64.

still way, way more addresses than you could ever need

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

How am I supposed to beat Uplink if I have to type in these ipv6 addresses. Ridiculous. SMDH

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ipv6 owns

and for you ipv4 on lan and ipv6 public folks, you still need proper ipv6 addresses internally, so i dont get the argument

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

spankmeister posted:

still way, way more addresses than you could ever need

well yeah. thats why you get like 8 of em at the same time

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the weirdest thing is that steam doesnt work on ipv6-only networks, i'd think that would be a ripe thing to get working. cs:go and such are hardcoded to ipv4, you cant get it to work at all on v6. it's weird. maybe shaggar switched jobs to valve

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol it's because they're based off of quake

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

infernal machines posted:

okay. why?

seriously, what was the use case for that?

so my friends could print things in glorious laser quality instead of dragging whatever $30 inkjet out of their closet and finding out the nozzles had dried out anyway and then just come pick it up or I'd bring it when I saw them next while not having to deal with getting the files from them or having a copy of whatever software they were using myself. Kind of a limited access private print shop in a place where the nearest actual print shop was an hour+ drive.

In the world of the early 2000s rural south stumbling across a networked and physically bulletproof laser printer with a full toner for $5 at the thrift store was a gamechanger

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 18, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is a hell of a score. those laserjet 4s and 5s are still running to this day

e: getting pwned by leaving a postscript interpreter open to the internet is a funny thought though

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

1) The layman does not remember ipv4 addresses
2) The entire reason for ipv6 is that there aren't enough ipv4 addresses for all the devices now, so having more bits of information is kind of just the fault of reality rather than ipv6.
3) Having the addresses be short enough to remember is not really something that anyone cares about now. Use dns or something.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Beeftweeter posted:

lol it's because they're based off of quake

Can you imagine somebody trying to patch the eldritch magic written by Carmack.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the only ip addresses you need to remember are 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 192.168.x.x, and 127.0.0.1. nobody ever needs more than those. maybe 1.1.1.1 too if you want buttflare.

i recently (last few months) set up our ddwrt router to properly get an ipv6 from our isp (cox). easy and owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zamujasa posted:

the only ip addresses you need to remember are 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 192.168.x.x, and 127.0.0.1. nobody ever needs more than those. maybe 1.1.1.1 too if you want buttflare.

i recently (last few months) set up our ddwrt router to properly get an ipv6 from our isp (cox). easy and owns.

do you have gigablast