Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hahaha, I had totally forgotten about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Wow that’s crazy, crazy it’s doing so well too.

It know RT isn’t the be-all, end-all, but Terrifier 2 was at 86% on there last time I looked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also with PG for whatever reason I don’t know how, they had some kind of weirdly insane marketing budget because there was already some merch and special products made for the film pretty much right out of the gate.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

As far as film runtimes go, that can impact performance at the theater. Case in point with the last Batman, there were people turned off by it being near three hours long. No one's really wanting to be leaving the theater at near 2am or later even in a good area.

And regarding Terrifier 2, we are showing it in the smaller auditoriums compared to Halloween Ends, Barbarian and Smile which are in the larger ones. With Black Adam starting up, not sure what's going to get the bounce to make room for it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shudder's November film lineup announced

Originals:
Satan's Slaves: Communion - Nov 4
Mandrake - Nov 10
Blood Relatives - Nov 22

Exclusives:
Slash/Back - Nov 13

Nov 1:
Alone in the Dark (1982)
Anna and the Apocalypse
To All a Good Night
Creepshow
Silent Night (2012)
Silent Night Deadly Night 3, 4 and 5

Nov 7:
Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder in Hell
Evil Dead Trap 1 and 2

Nov 14:
Dr Tarr's Torture Dungeon
The Last Broadcast

Nov 21:
Sweetie You Won't Believe It

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Psycho is 1 hour and 49 minutes and thats loving pushing it

The book is barely over 200 pages fwiw.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Psycho is a special case in that its whole thing is showing you the first act of a whole other movie and then becoming the actual movie.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

wait VHS 99 comes out TOMORROW

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Psycho could lose like 20 to 25 minutes of time. Its so loving slow in the beginning.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mover posted:

wait VHS 99 comes out TOMORROW

Yep!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Psycho could lose like 20 to 25 minutes of time. Its so loving slow in the beginning.

You could just watch films on a higher speed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh nice slash back will be on shudder

love me some kids vs monstahs

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

You have to remember though that Psycho wasn't made with the shower scene being so ubiquitous. You're supposed to think Janet Leigh is the main character and her death is supposed to be shocking, not inevitable. Hopefully there is a new generation coming up who can discover the movie without it being spoiled and appreciate the twist as intended.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They need to hurry up and get that directors cut of Martin out already.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I rather like the way Psycho starts out like a heist flick, a criminal stealing money and making a run for it, before turning into a completely different film altogether.

It would have been awesome to see that in the theater, knowing nothing about it.

Leigh being the big star and apparent protagonist , then getting whacked 45 mins into it. That must have absolutely blown peoples’ minds back then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chris James 2 posted:

Nov 7:
Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder in Hell
Evil Dead Trap 1 and 2

quote:

Nov 21:
Sweetie You Won't Believe It

I don't believe it!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kind of curious about Evil Dead Trap 2. Evil Dead Trap is a loving crazy wild ride.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I rather like the way Psycho starts out like a heist flick, a criminal stealing money and making a run for it, before turning into a completely different film altogether.

It would have been awesome to see that in the theater, knowing nothing about it.

Leigh being the big star and apparent protagonist , then getting whacked 45 mins into it. That must have absolutely blown peoples’ minds back then.
For a lot of people it was also a completely new movie experience. The advertising had to push people to actually show up at the start of the movie with the warning that people wouldn't be admitted late.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah Psycho is what changed movies to having show times. Before that theaters would just run the movies on a continuous loop and you'd just go into the theater and watch the movie until it cycled through which is a weird way to watch movies.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Psycho is what changed movies to having show times. Before that theaters would just run the movies on a continuous loop and you'd just go into the theater and watch the movie until it cycled through which is a weird way to watch movies.

That's where the saying, "Excuse me, but I think this is where I came in" comes from. Not that I've heard anyone say that recently.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its just such a bizarre way to watch a film.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Its just such a bizarre way to watch a film.
What's funny is that when you think of films being shown with newsreels, cartoons, or serials, I think it makes sense when you think of it like proto-television than how we think of modern film which is closer to going to a play.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

It's been ages since I was there, but at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago they had an exhibit that was a 1900s street. Part of it was a cinema where you paid a nickle to get in and it was a steady loop of a newsreel, some cartoons and silent films with a guy on piano playing the music. There were no showtimes of what was when, you just went in and sat for as long as you wanted. If they were showing a silent horror, my parents weren't getting me out of there even with a promise to go to the ice cream soda parlor. Trivia bit, my Grandfather designed the heating/air conditioning for the parlor and exhibit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been to a few of those at a few different museums and its always kind of weird and takes some getting used to. You're sitting there waiting for a clear start or stop time and eventually you realize you just get up when you're bored. Or don't. You keep waiting for someone to show up and usher you out to bring the new group in.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Timeless Appeal posted:

You have to remember though that Psycho wasn't made with the shower scene being so ubiquitous. You're supposed to think Janet Leigh is the main character and her death is supposed to be shocking, not inevitable. Hopefully there is a new generation coming up who can discover the movie without it being spoiled and appreciate the twist as intended.

My old office mate used to assign it to her students as the first film they'd have to watch for her class. (No idea which course though.)

She showed me a bunch of responses* and her kids were absolutely livid. Just pages and pages of college kids not being able to process the narrative whiplash. It was like if they handed that "they killed my n-word ned" guy a keyboard mid rant.

Absolutely hilarious, and eventually most of them turned around on it.

*Shhhhhhhh, don't tell.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Psycho is in such a weird spot by now since 99% of the people who see it fresh know the twist already, have seen multiple parodies, and know every trope inside and out even though half of them were invented there. It makes for a unique experience for sure

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I don't really think you can capture the "magic" of old generations, but you can appreciate your own.

My generation knew the Psycho twist, we knew that Vader was Luke's Dad, etc. None of those things were ever twists to us, it was just how it was because they were big in pop culture.

But goddamn we'd get into fistfights if someone said the Undertaker and Kane weren't really brothers. There's always magic as a kid but I think it's hard to recapture magic that's already gone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I've never played a Silent Hill game, but I still like to watch the Gans Silent Hill movie. It has a lot of great visuals and sound design, great actrices. Gets a little goofy towards the end, but it's a lot of fun.

(As I'm typing this post, I'm remembering there was that second movie with Jon Snow that's completely forgettable)

I've seen a full playthrough of the second game by someone clarifying all the metaphorical elements and it's really good. I'm interested to see if they can translate it to the screen, hopefully retaining how bleak and depressing it gets.

But drat, is this the big announcement Konami was teasing? They know exactly what they're doing to SH fans, don't they? Just boys crying wolf over and over again to people begging for a new game.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

After all of those godawful sequels I don't think Silent Hill fans are clamoring for a new game.
We got three-ish good ones two decades ago, let's just leave it at that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was wrong, the announcement was for the remake of Silent Hill 2, though I think that was already known? There's a trailer now, at least.

https://twitter.com/SilentHill/status/1582844935702597632?t=wfzGLbUYBqP8vQXhpPVa5g&s=19

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress do I watch for Masters of Horror that is less than 90 minutes and is something I haven't seen before.

zombies, that attack.... by voting

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

But drat, is this the big announcement Konami was teasing? They know exactly what they're doing to SH fans, don't they? Just boys crying wolf over and over again to people begging for a new game.

There were also four games announced (f, Townfall, Ascension, and a remake of 2)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they got ryukishi07 for one of them too which is nutty

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How many of them will be Silent Hill Pachinko machines?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gently caress's sake, Ivan Reitman just got MeTooed.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Anyone got to watch VHS 99 on shudder??? It’s not appeared on my app yet I’ve used a VPN to check US shudder to (I’m in the UK) and it hasn’t appeared on there either….

Do shudder have a time of day that they release new content?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Jedit posted:

gently caress's sake, Ivan Reitman just got MeTooed.

I think this was basically just a matter of time.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Gaz2k21 posted:

Anyone got to watch VHS 99 on shudder??? It’s not appeared on my app yet I’ve used a VPN to check US shudder to (I’m in the UK) and it hasn’t appeared on there either….

Do shudder have a time of day that they release new content?

I am watching it now!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you want to play silent hill 2 but havent yet then you should play the enhanced edition because it owns https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

thatfuturekid posted:

I am watching it now!

It’s just appeared