Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
bragging about constant angular velocity CD readers.

“52X MAX” was good for shattering the football shaped disc you got at a trade show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
novelty shaped optical media in general

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we tried to cut some CDs on a CNC router into a shape as one of those giveaway things that’d show off your skills

the cut was awful and chipped away the surface. it sounded dreadful when I put it in the cd player

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
SNA

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Active Worlds

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Google Stadia

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

agreed on the first point, disagree on the second, i really want to be able to wrap from the last desktop to the first and modelling it as an X sided ring was a good idea.

inexplicably android doesn't wrap around by default but the Microsoft launcher for it does

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

my personal shame is that i just don't "get" virtual desktops and have never used them in any sort of effective manner in my workflow.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

inexplicably android doesn't wrap around by default but the Microsoft launcher for it does

actually this might not be true because as some funny tech poo poo: Google change and break things in android all the time and two phones with an identical os version work completely differently!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Neito posted:

my personal shame is that i just don't "get" virtual desktops and have never used them in any sort of effective manner in my workflow.

virtual desktops are pretty pointless unless you have some dumb linux poo poo that has terrible windowing.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Neito posted:

me too

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
dnssec ceremony of the keys

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I remermber some old disney thing where mickey donald and maybe goofy go up the beanstalk and doesnt the giant roll up one of them??

those old mickey/donald cartoons were the best. my kids used to watch them on youtube, hours of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPlY3a7dMU

the best one ^^

donald duck is my spirit animal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

dnssec ceremony of the keys

dns key party

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

akadajet posted:

donald duck is my spirit animal

because he also refuses to wear pants?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

duz posted:

because he also refuses to wear pants?

pantsless and unreasonably angry all of the time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

pantsless and unreasonably angry all of the time
ddont dox me

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

compiz was basically linux nerds going "ok, so we don't have games, but we do have some halfassed 3d support now. what do we do?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Using all 600 watts of a 4090, forcing my air conditioner to turn on in January just so I can see the gimp windows jiggle

jiggled again

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Neito posted:

i basically use it as a namespace for programs so i only have to alt tab through the threeish ones i contextually need (eg editor, terminal, browser window on my dev workspace; slack/calendar/email on my other workspace; third workspace with personal user browser and steam for loving around when i'm taking a break) instead of having to wade through 9 icons to find the thing i need on a monoworkspace setup

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

compiz was basically linux nerds going "ok, so we don't have games, but we do have some halfassed 3d support now. what do we do?"

linux nerds looking at the osx aqua ui and taking the worst parts to reimplement poorly

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

apparently there's a whole wiki about the eas and ebs and i'm rather addicted for no reason:

https://emergencyalertsystem.fandom.com/wiki/Screens_of_the_EAS#Station_slide_(1997-present)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

akadajet posted:

linux nerds looking at the osx aqua ui and taking the worst parts to reimplement poorly

eehhhh as always its linux nerds looking at X and saying "let the user decide" and writing a shitload of tooling to let the user decide

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah it's great

for example, i can choose to have something that works, or i can choose to have it not work. having that choice is an important part of the open source philosophy.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jabor posted:

yeah it's great

for example, i can choose to have something that works, or i can choose to have it not work. having that choice is an important part of the open source philosophy.

wobbly windows worked fine for me

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
running the windows 98 se installer multiple times because it would crash

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

doublespace/drivespace

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

farting about with your autoexec.bat and config.sys to try and free up as much conventional memory as possible

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the olpc laptop

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Unsure if The Helpdesk Call of Cthulhu counts here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWP_vQRMkuU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gentle Autist posted:

farting about with your autoexec.bat and config.sys to try and free up as much conventional memory as possible

dos=high,umb

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
that program which let you use your gmail as a remote hdd

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
trillian

which somehow still exists

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

lol I think I remember this

someone should do one with data encoded into tweets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wild EEPROM posted:

i remember one time giving a buddy an account on my FTP server

then one evening while i was remoted into the server i looked at the FTP monitor and saw a shitload of crazy traffic. just constant disconnects and reconnects. "lol dude what loving FTP client are you using??"

turned out he was playing with having the FTP connection mounted as a filesystem, lol

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Hed posted:

bragging about constant angular velocity CD readers.

“52X MAX” was good for shattering the football shaped disc you got at a trade show

the kenwood 72x truex cdrom drive

beam splitting just wasn't ready for prime time, the failure rate was spectacular

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

trillian

which somehow still exists

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

someone should do one with data encoded into tweets

someone did a "best of show hack" that uses google sheets as a mountable fuse file system: https://github.com/GunshipPenguin/spreadsheetfs

apparently, spreadsheets don't count towards your default google cloud storage limit of 15 GB :newlol: