Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's a bit weird that Americans have trouble understanding this when their system works the same? When Nixon resigned, Gerald Ford became president. But Ford was an appointee after the elected VP Spiro Agnew resigned. So no one had voted for the president. They had an election two-and-a-bit years later, as previously scheduled.

And that's the one time that's ever happened. The one time America has ever had a President who wasn't elected to either President or Vice President. It was kind of a big deal. And he lost that next election (though that's probably because he pardoned Nixon).

edit: What a terrible snipe for the UKMT thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

has anyone said piss trust yet

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Shogeton posted:

The way I see it, what you actually vote on is 'This person is the one I choose to represent my interests in Parliament' And part of the power that MP is entrusted with is picking who gets to be the Prime Minister. So doesn't matter how many prime ministers resign, as long as the person you have voted for, your MP is still sitting there, your vote is still being honoured.

This may be the reality of how it works, but there comes a point at which their party has clearly shown that its not fit to govern anymore, and that was literally months, if not years ago. Continuing on is not only damaging for their party, its damaging for the entire county and they really cant ignore that anymore. General elections have been called for far less than this.

In regards to Boris running again, are they having a loving laugh?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Shogeton posted:

The way I see it, what you actually vote on is 'This person is the one I choose to represent my interests in Parliament' And part of the power that MP is entrusted with is picking who gets to be the Prime Minister. So doesn't matter how many prime ministers resign, as long as the person you have voted for, your MP is still sitting there, your vote is still being honoured.

Heck, this goes far beyond 'Well, shouldn't there be a re election because they switched some plans' As I understand it, a MP can outright switch parties and maintain his seat, because they are still the person everyone voted for. And that's even so in the US.

Perhaps best understood as 'If the President was elected by a vote of congress, rather than popular vote' then it doesn't matter how many presidents resigned, your vote was for seating that congressperson, and as long as his term runs, they get to vote for as many presidents as the situation calls for.

This is an example of the million "well technically" aspects of UK politics that are a wink and a nudge rather than how it actually works. For one the implication is that your MP actually has this level of meaningful power, which ignores the whip system and any personal ambition that they might have in voting for a potential leader.

It's entirely unsurprising that the population as a whole is increasingly disengaged from electoral politics when every time a situation that highlights undemocratic aspects of the system arises, there's people explaining that it's actually fine that a person can be elected by a small group, change policy not only in a "switched some plans" but explicitly against simple promises (like "no fracking"), totally gently caress up the economy, and then bail out for the next person that you will have no say in.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's a bit weird that Americans have trouble understanding this when their system works the same? When Nixon resigned, Gerald Ford became president. But Ford was an appointee after the elected VP Spiro Agnew resigned. So no one had voted for the president. They had an election two-and-a-bit years later, as previously scheduled.

I don't think it's a matter of "not understanding" so much as it's a matter of saying "these systems loving suck"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

has anyone said piss trust yet
no, you're surely the first

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

truly, we are living in the banter timeline

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Democracy can be a lovely system and yet the alternatives are far worse

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

truly, we are living in the banter timeline
we're losing money by the day and soon there'll be no heat or electricity, so banter is about all we have left

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Comrade Fakename posted:

feel like the difference is that we know outright that American democracy is a rigged fraud between Gestalt Hitler 2 and his controlled opposition

it's just surprising to see a public that has successfully demanded and won policies left of American policies also suffer so

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kemi Badenoch expected to run as Conservative party leader

Kemi Badenoch is also likely to put herself forward.

An ally said:

It should not be a coronation; the party needs to think about generational change and making sure the next person comes without baggage.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Hobo posted:

It really isn't.

The Speaker of the House in the US is effectively the Leader of the House of Commons in the UK as far as their actual role goes, in terms of setting the legislative agenda and the making sure the government is making use of the structural advantages it has when it comes to the legislative function of government.

The US also having a VP is useful since they are elected on the same ticket as the President, so they already have that democratic mandate.

This is also ignoring the fact that the President doesn't choose when the elections are run (nor does the Speaker), so they at least have a conceptual out by pointing at the normal functioning of the system.

The UK PM does not - they can call an election at any time, so a new PM coming in is making an active decision to not call an election.

Honestly the only way your comparison would make sense is if you didn't consider the executive function to be the head of government, and that head to instead be the head of the legislature, which is a baffling position.

This is looking far too deep into the topic. It is supposed to be an easy way to describe it to Americans. I am not saying that Pelosi is the Prime Minister of the USA.

Both are elected into a lower house via a constituency. Both are appointed by members of the lower house as a representative of the house. If either resigns their post as that representative of that house, there is no impact on their constituency seat - they are free to serve the remainder of their term as an MP/Representative. If, upon resignation, a new member replaces them there is no requirement to call an election, regardless of if there is a set date or someone has the power to.

Again, this is a quick comparison to explain to Americans why there isn't going to be a GE, not a comparison of the duty of the role within legislature.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

OwlFancier posted:

The power of the executive is with parliament, via the magic mace or whatever, but the point is they just pick someone to push the actual buttons, the UK political system has not considered it very important to restrict the executive power to a specific person via elections, and it's weird to me that we now suddenly do need to do that just because people watch too much american TV and think that's how it works.

I'm not really convinced that the american approach produces better results.

Imagine voting for people to do jobs, like an American.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Democracy can be a lovely system and yet the alternatives are far worse
Democracy is the least bad of all options, sure - but despite Usania claiming to export democracy to countries that just happen to have a lot of oil, they don't practice it themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

feel like the difference is that we know outright that American democracy is a rigged fraud between Gestalt Hitler 2 and his controlled opposition

it's just surprising to see a public that has successfully demanded and won policies left of American policies also suffer so

They haven't had any interest in doing that in the last several decades. The public that did that are not the ones that are alive now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

This may be the reality of how it works, but there comes a point at which their party has clearly shown that its not fit to govern anymore, and that was literally months, if not years ago. Continuing on is not only damaging for their party, its damaging for the entire county and they really cant ignore that anymore. General elections have been called for far less than this.

While true and reasonable, have you considered that they don't have to and they don't want to

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Salad days ahead for the UK.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
It's not even saying "democracy is lovely" as if this were the one true version of a democratic system.

Especially odd given that the critique is essentially that the system is not democratic enough, not that the democratic part is the issue.

It's not like you see people suggesting that the Lords should have supreme power (aside from weird FBPE libs briefly).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

From whence did this gangtag originate? Because it's surely relevant again.

That was on the daily mail front page when the Tory party came together to oust Boris Johnson as leader lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crymetimeboys posted:

An ally said:

It should not be a coronation; the party needs to think about generational change and making sure the next person comes without baggage.

How can a Tory not have baggage, aren't they're required to sacrifice their firstborn to the Elder Gods?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Man I'm away from my computer half a day and incredible scenes happened yet again.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Cimber posted:

Thanks for that writeup. Sounds like a real shitshow, sorry you guys are going through it. On the fracking issue, does that mean fracking is now unbanned?

Its in the air because while its not currently banned, in practice- who knows will be in number 10 next and what their opinions will be on it? So its not really a great environment for businesses to be pushing ahead on it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chinese Gordon posted:

I know. I'd be more surprised if she *didn't* run. There will be a candidate for the lunatic wing to coalesce around (again) and if that candidate is allowed through to the completely unhinged membership (again) then we are truly in Cool Zone territory(again?).

She'll get Farage's seal of approval then when Boris wins Farage will demand a "real" conservative party.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Democracy is the least bad of all options, sure - but despite Usania claiming to export democracy to countries that just happen to have a lot of oil, they don't practice it themselves.

Oh I don't deny this at all - we're supposed to be the beacon of democracy and yet!

Sorry, don't want to turn this thread into an American-centric one (overtly, that's why we have the CIA :ninja:)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Man I'm away from my computer half a day and incredible scenes happened yet again.
Gonna need to tie yourself to your computer, then.
Alternatively, stay the gently caress away from it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nilbop posted:

A reminder that, as a proper function of your state, you've got a king and an unelected house of parliament.

Technically not true these days!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tesseraction posted:

Britain is producing an enormous surplus of absolute scenes

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

And that's the one time that's ever happened. The one time America has ever had a President who wasn't elected to either President or Vice President. It was kind of a big deal. And he lost that next election (though that's probably because he pardoned Nixon).

Sure, but America has even more hard-coded elections than we do. I don't know if there's any procedure for having an election outside of the traditional 4-year cycle at all. It's quite well known that if the Pres and the VP are removed somehow, the Speaker of the House is next in succession, even if they're from a different party. The fact that it's even possible for a new election to be called here is more responsive to current events than the US system.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It doesn’t seem unreasonable at all to me to describe the position of PM to Americans as being “like if the Speaker of the House had the President’s powers and responsibilities” for example

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It’s on only fair that we get to produce the content once in a while.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Reveilled posted:

It doesn’t seem unreasonable at all to me to describe the position of PM to Americans as being “like if the Speaker of the House had the President’s powers and responsibilities” for example

This would be the correct way to explain it to ignorant yanks, yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Finally something to boost our export trade

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Russia’s foreign ministry has welcomed the departure of Liz Truss as British prime minister, describing her as a “disgrace” of a leader who will be remembered for her “catastrophic illiteracy”.

“Britain has never known such a disgrace of a prime minister,” Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said in a social media post.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sure, but America has even more hard-coded elections than we do. I don't know if there's any procedure for having an election outside of the traditional 4-year cycle at all. It's quite well known that if the Pres and the VP are removed somehow, the Speaker of the House is next in succession, even if they're from a different party. The fact that it's even possible for a new election to be called here is more responsive to current events than the US system.

There is no constitutional mechanism in the US to break the four year cycle, no matter what happens to the current occupant(s) of the office(s)

Even if the Speaker can't take the mantle, it then devolves to the Senate Pro Tem and then members of the cabinet in order of when the office was established

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's not a loving presidency ffs

People vote for the manifesto as much as the mp as much as the leadership. Pretending its otherwise when convenient is just :allears:

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Skull Servant posted:

This is looking far too deep into the topic. It is supposed to be an easy way to describe it to Americans. I am not saying that Pelosi is the Prime Minister of the USA.

Both are elected into a lower house via a constituency. Both are appointed by members of the lower house as a representative of the house. If either resigns their post as that representative of that house, there is no impact on their constituency seat - they are free to serve the remainder of their term as an MP/Representative. If, upon resignation, a new member replaces them there is no requirement to call an election, regardless of if there is a set date or someone has the power to.

Again, this is a quick comparison to explain to Americans why there isn't going to be a GE, not a comparison of the duty of the role within legislature.

Yeah and you're choosing an "easy way" that is entirely inaccurate and misleading.

The election is not run on the premise of a particular Rep being Speaker of the House.
The role of the speaker is not the same as the PM, which is the whole point of the issue. If it were then it wouldn't be an issue!
There not being a strict requirement to run an election is entirely meaningless in the UK context since there is basically no strict requirement to do anything, it's all based on convention and legitimacy.

If you want a useful explanation to Americans as to why there isn't going to be a GE, the only meaningfully correct answer is "the Tories don't want to have one because they would lose."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh this is also true. I, as an American, don't understand when you guys have elections. Seems like every once in a while someone announces, "Eh, how about next week?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crymetimeboys posted:

An ally said:

Extraordinary. Openly acknowledging that what they're doing looks like coronation and making sure that a GE doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main complaint I have with the presidential idea is that I really don't think it helps? The yanks have that and they're just as hosed up as we are. They vote for a lot of things that are loving stupid, like judges.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh this is also true. I, as an American, don't understand when you guys have elections. Seems like every once in a while someone announces, "Eh, how about next week?"

At least every five years, but yes otherwise whenever the government feels like it.