Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Horror Thread: No War Please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rental Sting posted:

Season of the Witch was the first Halloween I saw at around age 10 or 11. My friend whom I rented the VHS with kept promising that he had seen it and that Michael would show up at various stages of the movie through the very end during the climactic chase through the woods (I think that's what happens, yes?). Needless to say, he did not show up and I was very disappointed, having been hyped up on Michael Myers as the ultimate personification of evil. I assume a lot of pre-teens in the pre/early internet era had a similar experience with the film. I haven't seen the movie since, but a lot of the images have stuck with me over the past couple of decades--particularly the kids heads turning into worms and snakes when they wear the halloween masks and watch the commercial--so the filmmakers must have been doing something right.

:lol:

Silly, Michael Meyers is in Halloween 3 he's on the TV in the bar scene

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Just finished my rewatch of Green Room and I think I might finally need to crack open my copy of One Cut of the Dead to ease up. Might search a bit for something that matches better, but I do need something more lighthearted after GR.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Just finished my rewatch of Green Room and I think I might finally need to crack open my copy of One Cut of the Dead to ease up. Might search a bit for something that matches better, but I do need something more lighthearted after GR.

Last time I watched Green Room I chased it with Housebound and that did the trick.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Hit the nail on the head here. Esp bc the series started before "analog horror" was a big thing, whenever I watch a VHS movie I adore the aesthetics but the stories are so fuckin lame (with exceptions of course)
Have you seen Out There Halloween Mega Tape yet? Sounds like it's right up your alley. edit: oh lol of course you have, didn't notice who I was talking to at first

(Also, Kyle Mooney's Saturday Morning All Star Hits scratched the same very specific itch for me. It might not be horror but it's got a surprising amount of existential dread, played for laughs of course.)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Last time I watched Green Room I chased it with Housebound and that did the trick.

Housebound is a solid recommendation, but I've already seen it. I might go for Lifeforce for that PatStew-link, though it probably can't match the energy of Green Room.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
if you want a thematic fit Wild Zero has been discussed in the challenge thread and sounds extremely punk

but if you're saying you have a copy of One Cut of the Dead you haven't seen you should just watch it right now

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

if you want a thematic fit Wild Zero has been discussed in the challenge thread and sounds extremely punk

but if you're saying you have a copy of One Cut of the Dead you haven't seen you should just watch it right now

I do have the latter but I'm looking at the former and it looks extremely sick. I will definitely pick that one up.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

alf_pogs posted:

Sam Neil is so good in horror stuff. and yeah this is Carpenter just casually smashing out an all-time cosmic horror fun romp

I forgot that he was in Event Horizon also. Yeah I am so used to seeing him as Dr. Grant from Jurassic park. It’s fun seeing him just lose it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Since people have been mentioning spooky TV Shows I thought I'd bring up RL Stines Haunting Hour from the mid-2010s. I only found it a few years ago but some of the episodes really stuck with me, like the opening 2-parter Really You. Something that helps is that whenever characters start behaving illogically, it's made very clear by the acting that it's because of something external, the supernatural thing is literally rewiring their brains to ensnare them. Like in the Creamy Cold Ice Cream episode, it plays the obsession as an actual addiction, complete with obsessive thoughts towards the substance, nothing else seeming good enough, lashing out at their loved ones and selling important things so that they can just get one more hit culminating in actual felony lawbreaking in order to obtain the item (via illegal use of spikestrips). Then it has a great pun to end it all on, after the child catches the van and is forced to replace the last kid who broke in, who is now in his mid-30s and completely mad: "I'm glad you like ice cream kid, because in until you find someone else to replace you... it's ALL YOU CAN EAT!"

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally saw Pearl and I have two items of note:

1. The final montage of chopping up the body might be the best gore effects I've seen in honestly years. Bright sunlight, no shadow to fudge it, and it just looked gross and goopy and perfect. I saw WETA did the practicals in the credits, so that would make sense, but what an absolutely gorgeous beheading.

2. That final stare down the barrel is maybe the best one since Tony Perkins at the ending of Psycho. The range of emotion in that one unbroken shot is honestly horrifying and, like Toni Collette (blessed be her name), Goth absolutely won't be rewarded for it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

checkplease posted:

I forgot that he was in Event Horizon also. Yeah I am so used to seeing him as Dr. Grant from Jurassic park. It’s fun seeing him just lose it.

if you really want to see him lose it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

This was my big/only concern with Terrifier 2 really, the pacing felt weird in a 90 minute film and the sequel being 2.5 hours gave me pause. So far everyone's been saying this is better (in every way but particularly about that), so I'm hyped, but yeah I got the worry

Delighted to say Terrifier 2 is, indeed, better in every way than the first one. Stick around during the credits, however you're able to see this one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

One Cut of the Dead is punk horror.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Vhs99 was fun

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't care how many people talk about it I'm not watching Terrifier 2 which is bad trash not good trash.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No one's gunna make u

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

No one's gunna make u

STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’m going in on Terrifier 2 will report back, I did enjoy VHS 99 though, it’s definitely the 4th best and I really wish they’d stuck to the wraparounds being about circulating VHS tapes of creepy content (see VHS2) that being said the first segment with the punk band was a huge nostalgia hit and the make up reminded me of the video to SCREAM by The Misfits (yeah I know post Danzig fronted by a massive racist oval office Misfits).

The Hell segment was rad as gently caress to, there’s just something about the VHS films I love.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
third Terrifier movie is about Art the Clown making people watch Terrifier 2

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Watched The Love Witch and I think my favorite part was the subtle and sudden reveal that everything was happening in modern day rather than the 70s. Has absolutely not barring on anything but really made me smirk for some reason.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Honestly, Art the Clown invading a screening of a Terrifier true crime film premiere would rule. The Last Matinee was a great slasher in a theater feature, really up the ante on the meta-ness of Terrifier.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what if they have already watched it

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
There isn't a English dub of one cut of the dead is there?I want to show my wife it but no way she pays attention to a subtitled movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

worms butthole guy posted:

There isn't a English dub of one cut of the dead is there?I want to show my wife it but no way she pays attention to a subtitled movie

:sever:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I watched The Medium last night and it’s still sticking with me, that’s got to be a top all time finale. I couldn’t believe how long it went on for and how drat hard it was rocking the entire time. Sure ends differently from how it starts

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Art the Clown is trash tier unimaginative derivative garbage.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Terrifier 2 salting a skinned body feels like something I've seen before but I can't quite place it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Duckula posted:

Terrifier 2 salting a skinned body feels like something I've seen before but I can't quite place it.

That kind of happens in Happy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Duckula posted:

Martyrs, no?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It kind of happens in the TCM remake.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Grendels Dad posted:

Martyrs, no?

This was it!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What was the name of that horror movie or horror tv show where like the guy builds walls and poo poo in their house uh stuff happened. I dunno. Just a vague memory. I think it lead to someone being buried alive or something ?? I dunno.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What was the name of that horror movie or horror tv show where like the guy builds walls and poo poo in their house uh stuff happened. I dunno. Just a vague memory. I think it lead to someone being buried alive or something ?? I dunno.

dave made a maze?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Dave Built a Maze?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No this is from like 80s or 90s. It was a horror movie and the guy built walls with in the house and made a maze or something for his wife and her lover I think. It may have been a Tales from the Crypt.

edit:

I figured it out its a made for TV movie made by Frank Darabont called Buried Alive.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 22, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

No this is from like 80s or 90s. It was a horror movie and the guy built walls with in the house and made a maze or something for his wife and her lover I think. It may have been a Tales from the Crypt.

edit:

I figured it out its a made for TV movie made by Frank Darabont called Buried Alive.

You might also be thinking of the TFTC (movie?) where the guy had that tunnel/hallway in his house with razors in it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

You might also be thinking of the TFTC (movie?) where the guy had that tunnel/hallway in his house with razors in it.

No I was thinking of Buried Alive. Its honestly a pretty good made for tv movie. I mean its Frank Darabont.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

No I was thinking of Buried Alive. Its honestly a pretty good made for tv movie. I mean its Frank Darabont.

oops yeah i just saw your edit, might check that out tbh looks like a fun movie for a late night watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

oops yeah i just saw your edit, might check that out tbh looks like a fun movie for a late night watch

Its been like 30 years but I remember liking it. Very Tales from the Crypt like story.