Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

El Jebus posted:

I'm considering lighting a bunch of money on fire and getting into home espresso making. I'm leaning towards a Flair. I like the look, the cost, what looks like a semi-portable system I can bring with me in the eventual camper van. Naturally, this means I need a new grinder. Intrigued by the Lido mentioned earlier. Seems like the OG would do everything I want? Seems like people have been really happy with the grind consistency.

I'm sure the Lido is fine, but I'd like to also throw my hat into the ring fot the ROK grinder. It's specifically made for espresso (and does filter as well) and it's plenty fast due to the long lever. I'm thinking that since you are probably not going to be travelling a lot with your espresso setup, it doesn't matter that it's not the smallest size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you’re gonna have power in your van, the Lagom Mini was designed to be portable. It even has its own carrying case.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Love my Stagg too. The button is a bit finicky though. After a while it started taking multiple presses to turn on or off. Seems like it's a pretty common problem, even in replacement units.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you can pry my Hario temp. controlled kettle from my cold, dead hands

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

PolishPandaBear posted:

Love my Stagg too. The button is a bit finicky though. After a while it started taking multiple presses to turn on or off. Seems like it's a pretty common problem, even in replacement units.

My initial one had this problem. Fellow sent me a replacement base. It also had the same problem. Then they sent me a whole new unit and it has been working well for quite some time.

I am having a little issue with (this is just a guess) the temperature sensor. Descaling the kettle seemed to help a little but it still seems to be acting up occasionally. I need to pay more attention again and bring it up with them if there actually is a problem.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm sure the Lido is fine, but I'd like to also throw my hat into the ring fot the ROK grinder. It's specifically made for espresso (and does filter as well) and it's plenty fast due to the long lever. I'm thinking that since you are probably not going to be travelling a lot with your espresso setup, it doesn't matter that it's not the smallest size.

Hmm, that is a cool looking grinder. I would not be travelling a ton, true. Not sure if that is as portable as I'd prefer, but it looks portable enough, certainly.

Gunder posted:

If you’re gonna have power in your van, the Lagom Mini was designed to be portable. It even has its own carrying case.

And this is on the other side of things. It certainly seems portable enough, but the power requirement could be questionable. I would prefer to go with as little electricity use as possible.

Neither are ruled out, just more for me to think about as the plan comes together. Thanks!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I really enjoy my Hario electric kettle. I can pour pretty quickly with it, which I think gives it a bit more flexibility as a general-purpose kettle. I wish it got to a boil quicker though. Temperature control seems pretty unnecessary to me; water loses a lot of heat when put into a new medium, even a pre-heated one, but if I was really into very delicate green teas I might feel differently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ulvir posted:

you can pry my Hario temp. controlled kettle from my cold, dead hands

Nothing really wrong with the Harios. I've been using mine since 2009 and it's a champ. It's just that the Stagg is superior in every way.

Bonavitas are a crapshoot though. My first two rusted. To be fair my third one has been perfectly fine for a year now.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
What’s the next step up from a eureka mignon specialita? It seems to jump in price a lot from here. Internet seemed only quasi-useful in my search, but maybe it really is like 1500 to step up to the next level.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
what are the shortcomings of the specialita and what do you want a grinder to do better?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I looked up the Olympia Cremina, hoping I could get a deal with the USD exchange rate-- Same for the Londinium and Strietman. It appears they have all updated their prices to prevent this. Womp womp.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hello, coffee thread. I made a filter holder out of a coathanger.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

hypnophant posted:

what are the shortcomings of the specialita and what do you want a grinder to do better?

Just trying to see what the next step would be and see what people are saying. I want to go more towards a single dosing workflow. The specialita can do it with adapters, but it is somewhat annoying and the grinder retains a lot leading to the need to use bellows which I don’t like.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Scholtz posted:

Hello, coffee thread. I made a filter holder out of a coathanger.

Our kitchens, including coffee makers, are eerily similar. We both have great taste and/or have never bothered to remodel our 90’s kitchen.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Please help. My new grinder got a rock caught in it from the beans and now it’s making a high pitched squeal. I don’t know what to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turn it off!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

withak posted:

Turn it off!

Well I got the rock out. That’s the sound it’s making now after the rock was removed. I’m just trying to figure out how to fix it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

You should probably take the burrs out and check them and do a normal cleaning. They might still be jammed up. Hopefully nothing is permanently damaged.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Found a couple metal shavings in the grinds I cleaned out. Not a ton but still.

Burrs don’t look damaged at least.

Worried alignment got knocked out though. It was very well factory aligned.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sweeper posted:

Just trying to see what the next step would be and see what people are saying. I want to go more towards a single dosing workflow. The specialita can do it with adapters, but it is somewhat annoying and the grinder retains a lot leading to the need to use bellows which I don’t like.

The niche zero is well regarded for its workflow, and so is the weber eg1

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Found a couple metal shavings in the grinds I cleaned out. Not a ton but still.

Burrs don’t look damaged at least.

Worried alignment got knocked out though. It was very well factory aligned.

Check all the screws are tight and that everything seats correctly when you’re putting it back together, and hopefully it won’t make the noise any more. If it was damaged in any way beyond that, like if something was warped or the shaft was knocked off axis or something, you can potentially bring it back into alignment by shimming the burrs but it’ll be a process of trial and error. Check out the dry erase marker technique for burr alignment and see if that’s something you’d be willing to try.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 23, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

The niche zero is well regarded for its workflow, and so is the weber eg1

Check all the screws are tight and that everything seats correctly when you’re putting it back together, and hopefully it won’t make the noise any more. If it was damaged in any way beyond that, like if something was warped or the shaft was knocked off axis or something, you can potentially bring it back into alignment by shimming the burrs but it’ll be a process of trial and error. Check out the dry erase marker technique for burr alignment and see if that’s something you’d be willing to try.

Cleaning it out did stop the sound. But the lower burrs are misaligned now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I know when my Vario got whacked by a tiny pebble that snuck into a bag of roasted coffee (from Sweet Maria's) it took out a rubber belt and also a plastic gear. Vario sent me the replacement parts.

I'm pretty sure the pulley used to be plastic on my 2012 era model.

https://www.baratza.com/shop/vario-belt-pulley

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 23, 2022

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Please let us know which coffee roaster has rocks in their beans so we can avoid repeating this travesty

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

adebisi lives posted:

Please let us know which coffee roaster has rocks in their beans so we can avoid repeating this travesty

For real, new fear unlocked, yikes

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Local roaster, cafe Ammi.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

To be honest, this isn't the first time I've heard of people finding small stones amongst their beans. I'm not sure how often it happens these days, but it's definitely something that happens regularly enough for people to have stories about it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Local roaster, cafe Ammi.
I've repaired at least 3 grinders that got a rock in them from a local roaster, and in every case the roaster was more then happy to cover the cost. I'd reach out to them and see what they're willing to do for you, and probably also locate a shop that can handle this repair and be paid by them. There could be more damage inside than what you're able to see.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I think without an optical sorter it's really hard to guarantee a roaster won't get unlucky given sufficient time and quantity sold (and sorters are big capital investments for a small roastery)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bizwank posted:

I've repaired at least 3 grinders that got a rock in them from a local roaster, and in every case the roaster was more then happy to cover the cost. I'd reach out to them and see what they're willing to do for you, and probably also locate a shop that can handle this repair and be paid by them. There could be more damage inside than what you're able to see.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight and was hoping you’d be around. Ill reach out to them and see what they say. They run a cafe as well so it should be fairly easy to get to them, and I do buy 2lbs+ of beans from them like once every 2-3 months.

The grinder is a eureka manuale, so at $300 we’ll see how worth it it is to repair. Luckily I’m in NYC so there’s gotta be somewhere here than can repair it.

FWIW cleaning it out and reassembling the burrs did stop the noise, and it seems to be working ok, but I hit my bean waste/caffeine limit for the day so we’ll see tomorrow.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually think I have a set of those burrs for sale in SA mart, if those are the filtro pro. I was asking like 20 or 30 bucks. If they're damaged let me know we can figure something out.

e: on my phone but I think those are filter burrs right? My thread is:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012410&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I actually think I have a set of those burrs for sale in SA mart, if those are the filtro pro. I was asking like 20 or 30 bucks. If they're damaged let me know we can figure something out.

e: on my phone but I think those are filter burrs right? My thread is:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012410&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Appreciate it but I I use this for espresso. Thanks dude.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The advertisements for Cometeer got me and I decided to try out a box. You know what? It's very similar to stuff that I've made at home, which is a good thing from a convince standpoint.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It tastes good. Science.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Google Butt posted:

I want my kaffelogic now thanks.

Hopefully this year :ohdear:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah before the end of year looks like best case scenario now, based on that update.

at least all the delays seem like basically foreseeable ones for this kind of new product, nothing too crazy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
For sure. To be honest, even if it's end of CY23Q1, it'd be well within my expectations even though they initially said septemberish given all the things happening around the world. Would obviously like it sooner though

At least I should be early in the list if they go in order

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Shipping in blocks of 50.. my contribution id is 10 :)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Espresso machine owners: do you get your machines serviced regularly?

We have a Rocket shop in my city so it’s pretty easy but I’m just not sure if it needs to be done regularly and if so how often. My manual didn’t mention anything but I’m sure I read they need regular servicing somewhere.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

As long as you're doing whatever home maintenance the manufacturer recommends, you don't need to seek out any kind of regular service for it. When you start having a problem, call your local shop and they'll tell you if it's time for it to come in. Do not try a bunch of random poo poo you found on the internet first, you'll probably just make the issue worse and/or create an entirely new, more expensive problem.

Edit: On a Rocket the first issue you'll probably run into is the group gasket wearing out. Portafilter won't be easy to snug up, may not rotate as far as it used to and you may get some leaking around the basket. Replacing it is pretty easy, especially if you don't wait until it's rock hard, just make sure you get the right size, clean the group well first and install it correctly (if it has any writing on it, that side should face up towards the machine).

bizwank fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Red_Fred posted:

Espresso machine owners: do you get your machines serviced regularly?

We have a Rocket shop in my city so it’s pretty easy but I’m just not sure if it needs to be done regularly and if so how often. My manual didn’t mention anything but I’m sure I read they need regular servicing somewhere.

I think the general advice is if you are back flushing (with detergent periodically) and your water is good (softened + filtered or third wave stuff) you don’t need to do much.