Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the thought cabinet works in Disco Elysium?

I get the basics of it, obviously; you get a stat modifier while the thought is unlocking, then a different one when it's unlocked, and if you choose to "forget" the thought, you lose access to the bonus forever. But does having a thought equipped (ie, you've researched it and never choose to forget it) have any narrative consequences, or can you safely choose to forget any thought if you don't like the modifiers without having to worry about any impact on the game or dialogue choices?

For example, I know that in certain points of the game, you have to internalize certain thoughts to progress quests or dialogue choices (ie, Jamais Vu for Joyce, or Advanced Race Theory for Measurehead), and I would have to assume that internalizing thoughts would also affect various other passive checks or dialogues that I haven't found yet. But what I can't tell, is whether these checks require you to keep the thought equipped in your cabinet for the desired effect to happen, or if all you need to do is spend the time researching it, and then it doesn't matter if you forget about it afterward.

tl;dr; if I don't like the modifier of a thought in the cabinet, is it safe to forget it, or will doing so have effects on the narrative, too?

e: semi similar question actually; is there any easy rule of thumb for determining what's safe to sell at the pawn shop? I've had a few instances where sellable items became usable in side quests and dialogues, and now i'm too paranoid to pawn anything

I haven't tested it, but I would avoid forgetting the thought that assigns your copotype (hobocop, superstar cop, apocalypse cop, etc). The first one to be internalized affects a couple things later in the game although you can still adopt more copotypes to jazz up dialogue.

The political thoughts don't even have to be internalized for you to progress their associated quests, it's probably safe to forget them once they have served their purpose.

Postcards are safe to sell. All the other items are tied to something. Sometimes it's an incredibly minor bit of dialogue, other times it's crucial for a task. Although there's a decent chance you won't encounter the exact circumstances necessary for some of those items. Not the end of the world if you pawn something, that's what second playthroughs are for.

You can find a free spot to sleep from day 3 onwards. Always run around with a bag and prybar to highlight bottles and locked containers.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've been playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 1 DE and feel the wiki is in dire need of an update.

Affinity
- Affinity Is a core game mechanic, if you ignore it you will miss a large amount of content
- Party Affinity- Party members have 5 ranks, from yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, 0 to 5000 affinity points. Despite what the game says, giving gifts can increase at most 22 affinity points. The bulk of affinity gains will come from combat action button presses, chain attacks, and when talking to sidequest NPCs the party leader will often gain affinity with the active party members through interjections. You will see a pop-up of two character icons and some hearts when there is affinity gain.
- NPC Affinity- Every major location has named NPCs (green dots on the map) you can talk to and make them active on the affinity grid. This is required to get all the side-quests as sometimes if they aren’t active their related side-quests won’t be available. NPCs have schedules can may be in their location for 12+ hours or in rare cases only 4 hours.
- As location affinity increase, more options unlock, from improved trading options to more side-quests. When you gain a star it’s worth checking the whole area map during several different times to see if any new exclamation marks have appeared.
- Heart to Heart moments are only available at green or the highest two ranks(purple&pink).

Combat
- Combat is MMO style where simply auto attacking isn’t effective. The emphasis is on using buffs/debuffs and getting into correct position to deal maximum damage.
- The main party dynamic is DPS/tank/healer and there are several party configurations that will work.
- The AI for party control ranges from good to terrible. The worst AI is for the female party members and Shulk.
- The basic combat strategy is break-topple-daze and using abilities that gain increased damage against those conditions. Certain AI party members are much better at this then others.
- Chain Attacks start off as merely okay and become exponentially better once you have more arts and higher party affinity. Chain attacks are linked by color, with the talent art a wildcard that will link with anything, so a talent art as the second attack will always give you a 3x chain
- Defeating enemies with Chain Attacks rewards you bonus exp, and 2x skill exp.
- Auras do not stack. When setting up arts for the other party members the AI really only benefits from using 2 auras.
- The game expects you to be within ~5 levels of the enemies or your exp gain drops off a cliff, so use expert mode to stay within a certain range as needed.
- Despite everything mentioned there are ways to build a level 20 party so that you can kill the level 120 superboss, so if you are having combat difficulties there’s probably some options or abilities that will make things far easier.

Sidequests
- Almost all side-quests are some form of “collect X items” or “kill X enemy” and many of them will autocomplete in the field once done and give you the reward
- Colony 6 Reconstruction has massive benefits that outweigh the costs.
- For some rare collectibles, you can find them for trade from named NPCs, especially ‘overtrade’ where you give them something worth far more then what they ask for and they give you a bonus item
- For collectibles, complete Colony 6 reconstruction and fill the collectopedia first. When you require specific collectibles for sidequests they will be explicitly marked on the map for ease of access.
- Quest Logs with a time symbol mean they will fail at a point of no return, this isn’t a major issue until much later in the game.

General
- The only way to improve overworld travel speed is with Quick Step gems. You get one for completing the Colony 9 collectopedia very early on.
- Buying equipment once makes it available as a cosmetic for your game account. Clearing out shop’s inventory then reloading to a prior save will still result in unlocking the cosmetics without having spent any money
- Enemies and some rare collectibles only spawn under certain conditions. You can change the time until those conditions occur and the quest should then be visible in the map
- Your Nopon companion has skills to increase the drop rates of silver and gold chests. When unlocked and active on all 3 party members you get a 30% bonus to drop which will massively decrease the time spent trying to farm for items.
- The party members start with 3 skill trees, and you can unlock the 4th ones around chapter 10/11. It requires a series of side quests that only become available when the previous one is completed.
- Gems are useful but not overly important until getting to the 5/6th rank. Important ones to keep are exp/AP boosts and whatever gem types your playstyle is focusing on

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I haven't tested it, but I would avoid forgetting the thought that assigns your copotype (hobocop, superstar cop, apocalypse cop, etc). The first one to be internalized affects a couple things later in the game although you can still adopt more copotypes to jazz up dialogue.

The political thoughts don't even have to be internalized for you to progress their associated quests, it's probably safe to forget them once they have served their purpose.

I'd add that Disco Elysium is not really a game you should try to 'win'. There's a frankly insane amount of context-specific dialogue, so there almost certainly are specific checks that can only be unlocked with these thoughts, but forgetting them (or never getting them) will not cause a fail state.

My position is: go with what feels right, internalise and forget thoughts that match how you want to play, and keep metagaming for a second or third playthrough.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks for the tips on Grounded. I'm getting blocking down and got some new gear (mosquito sword owns), finished the Hedge and now I feel the world is opening up somewhat.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Taeke posted:

Thanks for the tips on Grounded. I'm getting blocking down and got some new gear (mosquito sword owns), finished the Hedge and now I feel the world is opening up somewhat.

Don't be scared of the pond. Make yourself a bone dagger and no longer fear Wolf Spiders. Also, always be PEEPing!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Taeke posted:

Make sure you upgrade that sword to avoid it breaking after taking down like, four enemies.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Morpheus posted:

Make sure you upgrade that sword to avoid it breaking after taking down like, four enemies.

Patch just came out that should alleviate that a bit https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/grounded/patch-1-0-2

Assuming that weapons included.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Overminty posted:

Patch just came out that should alleviate that a bit https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/grounded/patch-1-0-2

Assuming that weapons included.

Oh good - using the sword before was an exercise in making sure I always had mosquito parts on me. But drat if it wasn't a good sword.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Shazback posted:

I'd add that Disco Elysium is not really a game you should try to 'win'. There's a frankly insane amount of context-specific dialogue, so there almost certainly are specific checks that can only be unlocked with these thoughts, but forgetting them (or never getting them) will not cause a fail state.

My position is: go with what feels right, internalise and forget thoughts that match how you want to play, and keep metagaming for a second or third playthrough.

Yeah, that's the most important bit. It's easy to compensate for any penalties with clothing or substance abuse :v: Tequila Sunset is on a voyage of self discoverydestruction so don't feel bad about forgetting one or two thoughts if they don't jive with his current personality.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Hello, I started Scorn and I love it.

Then I reached the combat. Any tips?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the thought cabinet works in Disco Elysium?

I get the basics of it, obviously; you get a stat modifier while the thought is unlocking, then a different one when it's unlocked, and if you choose to "forget" the thought, you lose access to the bonus forever. But does having a thought equipped (ie, you've researched it and never choose to forget it) have any narrative consequences, or can you safely choose to forget any thought if you don't like the modifiers without having to worry about any impact on the game or dialogue choices?
Once you have a thought in your head, internalized or otherwise, you might have access to related dialog. If you forget it, you might lose access to the relevant dialog.

For example - your lower intestine pipes in with "try fascism". If you accept the thought into your cabinet, you'll now have access to "[Fascist]" replies until and unless you internalize and forget it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just wanna say, as someone who hadn't played or experienced Disco Elysium in any way (yet, it'll happen, like during the winter steam sale), literally any mention of it comes across as extremely hosed up.

I can't wait.

Your intestine gets you into fascism? I mean, I know fascists are full of poo poo, but wow.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just wanna say, as someone who hadn't played or experienced Disco Elysium in any way (yet, it'll happen, like during the winter steam sale), literally any mention of it comes across as extremely hosed up.

I can't wait.

Your intestine gets you into fascism? I mean, I know fascists are full of poo poo, but wow.

Just wait till you see what your butthole gets you into

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just wait till you see what your butthole gets you into

Words to live by.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Words to live by.

Not typically for long

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't wait.

Reading about it I was never able to tell what is just hyperbole and what is actually a thing that happens in the game.

I'm not through it yet, but so far, it turns out I've been wrong an astonishing amount of the time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Once you have a thought in your head, internalized or otherwise, you might have access to related dialog. If you forget it, you might lose access to the relevant dialog.

For example - your lower intestine pipes in with "try fascism". If you accept the thought into your cabinet, you'll now have access to "[Fascist]" replies until and unless you internalize and forget it.

Oh interesting--so you don't even have to internalize them to get bonus dialogues? I definitely did not know that, thank you

And yeah I'm finishing my second run of DE now and it's a hell of a game, I already kind of want to do a third. The game certainly lets you choose to say some hosed up stuff now and then, but it never forces you, it's interesting. The player is trapped in a battle of wills between not wanting to internalize advanced race theory, and seeing available content

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got tips for The Diofield Chronicle? I'm interested in playing this game more for the plot than the gameplay so any advice on how to streamline it as much as possible would be appreciated.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I can't wait.

Well, your tie can get extremely opinionated.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for Moonscars?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
picked up new pokemon snap again after borrowing it briefly from a friend last year -- is there a trick to levelling up routes other than just taking as many pictures as possible b/c i swear i don't remember needing to grind things out when i played before. should I be doing things to progress the 'main plot' and unlock things that'll get me higher scores? any tips in general would help

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

flatluigi posted:

picked up new pokemon snap again after borrowing it briefly from a friend last year -- is there a trick to levelling up routes other than just taking as many pictures as possible b/c i swear i don't remember needing to grind things out when i played before. should I be doing things to progress the 'main plot' and unlock things that'll get me higher scores? any tips in general would help

It's been a minute since I've played, but the general idea is to get as many Pokemon in all the different star poses as you can to "quickly" level up (use a guide because some star poses are finicky or completely obtuse). Going through the main story first definitely helps out since you unlock gizmos to get the poses. It's still going to be a grind and take longer than you want it to, though. There's no "one simple trick" that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

Early leveling is much faster than later leveling, so that's probably why you remember it being easier.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 20, 2022

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

What should I know before starting Hunt: Showdown?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

overeager overeater posted:

What should I know before starting Hunt: Showdown?

- Much like many Battle Royale games Hunt is a stealth game more than anything. The best perks, guns, consumables, and so on aren't going to do poo poo for you if you get noticed first and shot in the back. That doesn't mean that you need to crouchwalk across the map, but it does mean that you should only shoot your gun when you absolutely have to, and try to avoid deep water (especially with the tentacle swarm demon), wounded horses, chickens, etc.

- in the reverse, the best way to locate enemies is sound, so get some headphones on. Only hunters trigger the things above so if you hear them close then get your dukes up.

- Your load out should always contain a health pack and a knife/brass knuckles. They're cheap and extremely useful. Knife does a bit more damage but cannot be used on immolators, which are the burning zeds who explode when pierced with bullets or knives. You have a melee with any gun but it's far more tiring and less damaging.

- Melee any enemy you can, especially if you have a two handed melee weapon, to save ammo and avoid making noise. The only ones that can't be safely meleed are the one with all the leeches and the dogs. But even then with a 2H weapon you can technically kill anything effectively with a melee weapon, including bosses which are often weak to them.

- Buy consumables over guns, and use them. A stick of dynamite or a health shot will get you much further than a slightly faster reload speed.

- Damaged health bars fill up to complete the chunk that you are on, so long chunks are better.

- Don't be afraid to bug out if things get hot. You get a good chunk of money and XP just for collecting clues, even if you don't kill a boss, so when you're feeling underequipped you can just leave at any time and collect your reward. Don't get cocky and lose everything.

-Don't underestimate your enemies. Basic zeds can bleed you or set you on fire. Enemy hunters can shoot you dead with a pistol at rifle range if they are patient and lucky.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 21, 2022

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I tweaked the home page on the wiki to include an email address where people can send tips, and I probably get one email a week. It's good to hear from people who want to add tips but aren't on Something Awful.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Having never played any of them, anything for Persona 5 Royale?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hot P5R tip: If you're playing on Gamepass the file is actually called SEGAofAmericaInc.F0cb6b3aer_1.10.18.0_x64_USEU_s751p9cej88mt so when you get an email that says "F0cb6b3aer has accessed your Windows double-check your security settings" you are not being hacked that is just Persona 5.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Saint Freak posted:

Hot P5R tip: If you're playing on Gamepass the file is actually called SEGAofAmericaInc.F0cb6b3aer_1.10.18.0_x64_USEU_s751p9cej88mt so when you get an email that says "F0cb6b3aer has accessed your Windows double-check your security settings" you are not being hacked that is just Persona 5.

Those Phantom Thieves! They're going to steal your porn heart!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Having never played any of them, anything for Persona 5 Royale?

To get the new ending you need to have certain ranks with three new confidants by a certain in game time (November 18th?). Just look this up, and spoil yourself on who and how, you won't be replaying this long rear end game and getting the standard ending is pointless.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Cult of the Lamb

Note: I disagree with the existing weapon tip. Swords and axes are good for starter weapons since the range and single strike make it a bit easier to get damage in without getting hit before you get a feel for when to dodge. Daggers aren't great for the first area with how much enemies move, but they're fine in the rest of the game and not outright worse. Smaller enemies may get knocked back a bit and need a slash-step-slash-step cycle to keep them in range but they're still fine. The shadowboxing thing to use the third hit in the gauntlet combo is fine as a neat optimization trick, but also kind of unnecessary and annoying as far as something you're telling a new player is the correct way to use it.

Combat
  • Cut grass. Grass is only obtainable by cutting it in combat areas despite the fact it appears to be everywhere in your town. You'll use a ton of it setting up your farm and it's ok to slow down once you're done with it, though any extra will always be useful later as fertilizer or if you want to make some decorative items.
  • Curses that do damage in an area like the sword or blast abilities will typically also destroy enemy projectiles. It's useful generally as a way to sneak in extra damage, but can also let you semi-skip troublesome enemy bullet patterns.
  • Exploding enemies or triggered traps will do pretty decent damage to other enemies. It's fairly worth doing, even if you're just running around triggering all the traps at the start of a new room.
Cult
  • The main bottlenecks on building up your town will likely be money and wood. Money will gradually become less of an issue on its own after you've unlocked the ability to sell materials in the main campaign. Wood will be a persistent issue until your town is fully finished and going for it in the dungeon loot rooms until then won't ever be a bad idea assuming there isn't something else more pressing you need. You'll eventually harvest all the trees your town starts with and afterward they'll replenish at a slow trickle, so you'll likely want lumberyards early-ish to keep it coming in. You don't necessarily need to make a bee-line for it right away, but it's a good idea to start sometime before your wood supplies fully bottom out since the lumbermills themselves cost wood to build and it takes a while to pay for itself.

yook fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 28, 2022

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Some more for Let It Die since I've been busy:

- Fall damage is based on your max HP, and it also damages your armor. There is a decal to reduce fall damage by half and another to stop it outright, the latter of which would also mean your armor is safe, but you have to either get lucky with the decal gacha or purchase it yourself using skillshrooms.

- In the event that you use a Snailshroom (negates all elemental damage), keep in mind that if you would be on fire normally and still "are" when the effect ends, you will catch on fire and will need to put it out. Rolling to help reduce the burn timer before the effect runs out will work, but this should hopefully not come up too often depending on what you're doing.

- Even if your opponent has armor specifically to shut down fire damage, if they still ignite, then that means that you can wear down the durability instead. Even high-tier foes will fold to any damage if their armor breaks, but the same will apply to you, so watch out.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Stray?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

limp_cheese posted:

Anything for Stray?

Interact with all the NPCs.

That is like literally the only tip, it's a very straightforward game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm about 4-5 hours into Hollow Knight, but I'm wondering if it's linear (overall) or if there's some sort of thing I should be aiming to do first.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm about 4-5 hours into Hollow Knight, but I'm wondering if it's linear (overall) or if there's some sort of thing I should be aiming to do first.

There's nothing permanently missable I don't think. It really is a game which rewards exploration so just go anywhere and do whatever.

The only real hint I would give is not to worry about losing your souls, the mechanic where you can lose them is probably ill judged but it never really matters, just don't go into a new and dangerous area with a million souls in the bank when you could easily spend them on stuff at the main hub.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Not really, but don't forgot that you can go back into the area you started in before the town.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not really, but don't forgot that you can go back into the area you started in before the town.

Can I do that when I only have the dash available to me?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I think I eventually stumbled into that place again accidentally via a back door elsewhere in the map, so I’m not sure you really need to actively worry about going back there.

I forget if the game tutorializes it, but you can down slash to pogo off of spikes and enemies. That doesn’t necessarily apply to the thorns in the greenpath area early in the game, but it gets used a lot later on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can I do that when I only have the dash available to me?

You will probably fall into it eventually!! Please just explore at your own pace!!! There are no gotchas here, just play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

yook posted:

I think I eventually stumbled into that place again accidentally via a back door elsewhere in the map, so I’m not sure you really need to actively worry about going back there.

I forget if the game tutorializes it, but you can down slash to pogo off of spikes and enemies. That doesn’t necessarily apply to the thorns in the greenpath area early in the game, but it gets used a lot later on.

This absolutely does not get used a lot later on, it's essentially a speedrunner technique that is only necessary in the extremely optional stupidly hard platforming challenge area. It's a useful technique for fighting some types of enemies but if you are doing it to get somewhere or do something you are sequence breaking.