Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean yeah it is but it would be a lot to download just to play for an hour

r u a speedrunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mister Facetious posted:

r u a speedrunner

Only if the game is Tony hawk 2

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Reviews for Bayo 3 are dropping and reading between the lines it sounds like it may be the best of the series unless you are related to Taylor or have projected some weird personal things on the character/franchise as the polygon reviewer did. Bayonetta 2 was the game I bought a Wii U and pro controller for, and to this day I regret nothing.

One thing I was glad to read is that the game is a little more varied in settings this time, going for the world hopper, multiple cities approach. You see, Bayonetta 3 is actually a stealth sequel to Aero Fighters 2.

If they do ever get around to scraping the barrel and doing a Bayonetta movie, they have to do it based on 2 and hire Shane Black, since It Is A Christmas Story.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Augus posted:

lost levels owns

There’s only one level in Lost Levels that sucks, the level where you need to use a spring to jump over some water. Nailing the timing for that jump is almost comically difficult, other than that one spot Lost Levels rules.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Think the last time I had a data cap was 2012

I still have a data cap

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bloodysabbath posted:

Reviews for Bayo 3 are dropping and reading between the lines it sounds like it may be the best of the series unless you are related to Taylor or have projected some weird personal things on the character/franchise as the polygon reviewer did. Bayonetta 2 was the game I bought a Wii U and pro controller for, and to this day I regret nothing.

One thing I was glad to read is that the game is a little more varied in settings this time, going for the world hopper, multiple cities approach. You see, Bayonetta 3 is actually a stealth sequel to Aero Fighters 2.

If they do ever get around to scraping the barrel and doing a Bayonetta movie, they have to do it based on 2 and hire Shane Black, since It Is A Christmas Story.

Guess what, they did make a Bayonetta movie.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

cum jabbar posted:

I bought it on PC at launch and have had no performance trouble at all on my modest computer

Ah, that's good! The game is amazing, from what I've played so far, so I'd hate for PC performance issues to drag it down. I hope it sells well. I've been wanting to try it for years, since I have heard nothing but good things about it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I still have a data cap

:sad:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

P5Royal is something I will probably get but in the future, I like P5 on the PS3 but I can 100% wait to replay it and also kinda burned from the franchise discourse.

What I will 100% buy is Bayonetta, every review seems to portray it as an absolute blast besides the Polygon weirdo, and I have ton of nostalgia playing 1 and 2 on my Wii U before morning practice at the university.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

'I liked the gameplay but the story was a bit disappointing' doesn't sound like a weirdo take.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Bayonetta 3 is going to kick rear end. All the reviewers are complaining about the story, but is it truly Bayonetta without an incomprehensible story?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

jackhunter64 posted:

'I liked the gameplay but the story was a bit disappointing' doesn't sound like a weirdo take.

heck, it sounds like a pretty standard take for the series

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I still have a data cap

Doesn't most of the US unfortunately?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Bayo 2 already had a slam dunk setup for a simple but satisfying action game story (break into hell to save your girlfriend’s soul!) and then swerved into a weird and kind of lame thing with the kid and a bunch of time travel, so I wasn’t really expecting much from 3 in that area anyway.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, there's a difference between "I don't like the story" and starting the review with 3 paragraphs discussing how the start of the game reflects the patriarchy taking over the franchise (I kinda stopped reading because I felt like it was gonna start dropping some spoilers)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think I've played bayonetta start to finish maybe 6 times over the year and I'm not sure I even sat through all the cutscenes the first time.

Particularly the still image ones, they always felt kinda cheap

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i read the polygon review and can confirm it is extremely weird and no it’s not just that the reviewer didn’t like the story

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That would be a pretty weird review if it was freelanced but Maddy is Polygon's senior games editor, so whatever she's entitled to her opinion.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
89 at metacritic after 70 reviews is kinda nuts. Can't wait to play on Friday

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maddy is Polygon's senior games editor

This means absolutely nothing.

It's not even a review, it's just an opinion piece about the story and how it doesn't align with her personal vision as to who or what Bayonetta is; it says almost nothing about the gameplay, length, content, replayability, etc. After reading the whole thing I know absolutely nothing about the about the game but I do know that the story rubbed someone the wrong way.

Which to say that it isn't badly written or anything, it does a really good job stating "Hey, thematically things have taken a hard left from the previous games," it just keeps doing it and nothing else. I totally understand when you're invested into a character and then all of the sudden they're completely different and it just brings the whole experience down. I'm looking at you Other M, gameplay aside.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That would be a pretty weird review if it was freelanced but Maddy is Polygon's senior games editor, so whatever she's entitled to her opinion.
lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Polygon didn’t like Bayo 3 then it means the game is good.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Personally I dipped out of the review when it said "Now I can't post any spoilers, but I'll do my best to hint at them so you can figure out what happens" because come on, even if it's a train wreck I want to see it for myself.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

gayonetta

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Snake Maze posted:

Bayo 2 already had a slam dunk setup for a simple but satisfying action game story (break into hell to save your girlfriend’s soul!) and then swerved into a weird and kind of lame thing with the kid and a bunch of time travel, so I wasn’t really expecting much from 3 in that area anyway.

Yeah the lkid stuff in 2 was really cringe, and the time travel fuckery in 1 was equally stupid tbh. But who cares about that, loving nerds that's who am I rite or am I rite

Can't wait to beat up some more demons/angels/homoculi things and get graded for it

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Literally what is the spoiler even? Everyone's being super cagey about it like spoilers even matter lmao

Someone just straight up tell me what it is, so I know whether to auto skip the cutscenes or not, ta

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MoonCrab posted:

Literally what is the spoiler even? Everyone's being super cagey about it like spoilers even matter lmao

Someone just straight up tell me what it is, so I know whether to auto skip the cutscenes or not, ta
youre gay,,,, lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MoonCrab posted:

It’s fairly obvious tbqh
Luka is Viola’s father, obviously, and the “twist” that they’re mad about is probably that Bayo is her mother

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

American McGay posted:

youre gay,,,, lol.

Thought the issue was you weren't

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Augus posted:

It’s fairly obvious tbqh
Luka is Viola’s father, obviously, and the “twist” that they’re mad about is probably that Bayo is her mother

I assume they had a sea-horse type system for this, because my brain is straight up rejecting it otherwise.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm more offended at the thought of Luka getting with anyone and having a child tbh. Granted I haven'tplayed 2 yet so maybe he's better in that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

youre gay,,,, lol.

:eyepop:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm more offended at the thought of Luka getting with anyone and having a child tbh. Granted I haven'tplayed 2 yet so maybe he's better in that.

This is also my objection to it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

He's slightly less annoying in 2 but still not really a good character IMO.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Witch mom gay so what

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't get the people getting bent out of shape over the polygon review because it basically said 'Bayonetta is a queer, sex-positive female power fantasy and Luka is the loving worst.', both of which are objectively true things.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It didn't say that though.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Ew gross

But whatever, it's not as if throwing their entire story in the trash would have even diminished the other Bayo games all the much. No big loss. Maybe by the time I get the free time to actually play it they'll mod it out lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bayonetta 1 set that up so hard that I can't believe anyone is surprised.

I feel like that isnt even a spoiler. Oh gosh what could be the identity of the mysterious new witch with a demon familiar named Cheshire in a game franchise where motherhood and fatherhood are two of the central themes of the entire franchise and one of the others is time travel.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Alright so I'm a few hours into Tunic and I can accurately report that I do not like it.

1) the load times make playing the game and exploring an exercise in frustration. Whenever you enter a door/leave an area it takes 15-20 sec to resume. Also using the savepoints takes a nonsense amount of loading time.
2) combat is bad (I get yes there's a no-fail mode sure) but it'd be better if it they just didn't throw their hands up and say "eh we can get combat to be good so we'll just let you turn it off" also entering the menu to change items doesn't pause the game, making combat needlessly harder
3) I hate hate hate the mechanic that you have to push on every single little angle behind the everything. It's not fun to have to touch every single tiny corner and spend a lot of time just pressing each direction against invisible walls while you guess where the game will let you walk. Often times the same feature lets you walk that also blocks you.
4) the manual gimmick is nifty, I have no problem with that
5) accessing the map is a huge hassle since it brings the game to a halt.

Basically the game is actively doing things to make the game unfun, it uses a neat mechanic, but the application of it just grinds away at you until you until you just are chaffed to exhaustion.

It tries to be Zelda 1 (with all the trappings of game that makes no sense until you dig in) but even Zelda helps you enough (with the onscreen map, fast transitions between locations, etc).

Thanks for listening.