Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Thanks for the advice!

After a bit of fiddling around, I think I have it looking better. How is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I can read the text, so I'd say it's good. :justpost:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OOrochi posted:

Thanks for the advice!

After a bit of fiddling around, I think I have it looking better. How is this?

Oh god that is SO much better.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god that is SO much better.

Ok, honest question.. this is probably a Just Post type thing, but I'm tempted to do a LP on a new text-based super hero sim (Called Comic Book Universe). Part of the gimmick is that I'm going in COMPLETELY blind. In that I just downloaded the game for the first time.

This is what I had for the first post so far... and figured to get a sanity check (Obscure game, demo, completely blind, etcetera)

I must be absolutely crazy.

Well, I am absolutely crazy, but that's a whole different story.

But who would look at a public beta demo for a text-based sim about superheroes...

Well.. me.

It helps that the game is made by Adam Ryland and Grey Dog Software. Ryland is the creator of the Total Extreme Wrestling series and World of Mixed Martial Arts, both of which are really good text-sims. But superheroes? I know Grey Dog software did a couple superhero games in the past, but... still.

Plus the game is still in public beta trial. It's limited to six "Issues", but I'm going in anyway. Games in the trial are fully playable in the full game, so if I like it and there is interest, maybe I'll buy the full game and continue past the six issues (issues are storylines/events, like comic books that it pulls from)

(insert Splash Screen 1)

We'll be playing as a variety of heroes including (the things in quotes are the game's splash decription):

Captain Awesome, "the most powerful mortal who has ever lived"
Mr Infinity
Danielle Rune. "the mistress of the mystic"
"England's Greatest Protector" Captain Albion
"The first family of comics" The Wonderfuls.

facing villains like:
"The Master of Minds" Demento
"The Devious King of the Goblins" Haemogoblin
"The mutant supremacist" Prince Amass
"The deevastingly powerful" Kilowatt
"Power-Hungry sociopath" Cape Killer

And the game states that we will progressing through new storylines, including

"Faction Wars"
"The Dark British Empire" (I'm sure there's some folks who just instantly quipped "Wait, there's an EVIL british empire? What a concept")
"The Greek Gods"
"The Terminus Sage"

Note: I am going into this game COMPLETELY blind because.. well, I'm crazy. I mentioned that right? I don't know what we'll be seeing, and I'm pretty sure that six issues is not enough for us to complete any huge storylines, but let's find out.

(Insert CBU image 2)

Many settings. Many Many settings. I do like that they have the comic book history that deaths are never permanent (for those grim and grittty types, you can change deaths being permanent on a scale of Never, Rarely, Sometimes and Always).. and the game has a table for what it generates your characters to face.

Insert CBU Image 3

The home screen, featuring recaps of previous issues (once I get there), and the balance of power, featuring Justice and Injustice. It sounds like that heroes thwarting villains or villains completing schemes witll move that meter.

Insert CBU Image 4

Here's a list of the people in the game. I have to admit that some are very corny.. although I do like "Brutish Petroleum". The highlighted character is the Agents of EGO. (Ego, per the description, is the "Entropic Grand Order", "Scentific-Fundamentalist group whose central credo is that Entropy is the most powerful force in the Universe, then the closest you can get to the Divine is to spread Chaos". Sounds very HYDRA or AIM like. Especially AIM, "as they grew rapidly from a fringe movement to a vast criminal network that spans the globe, they are infamous for hiring themselves - and their advanced weaponry - out to other criminals in order to advance their own cause by creating disorder.

ANd before you think it's just super powered folks, it has other people in the comic book universe to use as people in its stories.. minor characters like "Alexander Hartley", who is one of the richest men in America, after inventing "SafePay", the secure online payment system that is used throught the western world"

They have similiar screens for places in the universe, groups (including the TMNT-hopmage "Ape Crusaders", genetically experimented-on monkeys that escaped from captivity and now do good, despite their local paper trying to paint them as menaces. They're all named after various classical music composers (Wagner, Vivaldi, Veri, and Strauss.. with colored headbands to tell them apart), and artifacts.

Probably will be short (it's a "Six-Issue demo", and as I said, I'm going in completely blind. Is this a "just post, already" or not a good idea?

TIA

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think you'll need a bit more to actually get much helpful criticism here, especially some images. Play an update's worth of content and post it here, or if you're really committed to the 100% completely blind all the time gimmick, you're gonna have to risk the :justpost:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
1st run:THis turned into a test run because of a Crash, but I'm going to leave it in, just because it explains the system well

So we roll for our first part of the Trade Paperback, and it comes up 6 - a Minor Villanous Scheme. What does that mean? Let's FIND OUT!

Ok, so we get details in that this is going to be that a villain "Valhella" is involved in some type of shenanigans. We have to figure out his mystical mystery in order to figure out where he is based.

It features three heroes, the game has chosen Delphi, Master Phoenix and Pathway, and we could change that if we wanted to, but again, completely blind playthrough. I have NO idea who'd be good facing Valhella.

Let's do a quick bio on each of our heroes, from the game provided description:

Our heroes:

PATHWAY: Patti Palmer is a young Boom Town High student (and classmate of Jennifer Joyce, although she's unaware that her BFF is secretly Miss Atomic) who recently discovered that she is the latest in a long line of witches in the Palmer family. Her latent magical abilities allow her to do many things, but she is most notable for being able to open mystical portals at will, a power that has led her to taking on the super heroic codename of "Pathway"

The four stats at play in this one (because a Mystical encounter) are Mystical Attack/Defense (11/17) and Outsmart Attack/Defense (10/18). Her powers are: Charms and Spells (which you can choose up to 2 allies and increase their mystical defense by 2 until next hero turn), and Witchcraft (Outsmart attack that allows you to reduce target's mystical defense by 2 until next turn)

DELPHI: A mystic with a deep knowledge of the arcane arts, Delphi traded her eyesight to see into the future. As is the tradition with these sort of bargains, there was a catch - wWhat she got was the ability to see every possible future across the entire multiverse, an overwhelming sensation that has left her quite deranged and unpredictable

Stats:

(Stats are Attack/Defend) Mystical: 11/17, Outsmart 12/18
Powers: Arcane Knowledge (Outsmart to reduce attack of up to 3 targets by 1), Gift of Prophecy (takes an action, gives an ally an extra re-roll

and finally,

MASTER PHOENIX: One of the elder statesmen of the heroic community, Master Phoenix is a relatively powerful telepath whose wealth of experience at fighting evil means that he is often consulted as a mentor-type figure by younger crimefighters. Originally, he lived in Centenanry City, and was a staunch ally of The Wonderfuls, but nowadays he has moved out to Boom Town

Stats: Mystical 11/17, Outsmart 11/18
Powers: Psychic Interference: Choose a character on the other side, and reduce any one of their puzzle skills by 1 until side's next turn.

It gives details on the encounter: Namely, that it's a "Magical Mystery" encounter. It's limited to five rounds, and ends when the heroic side either solve the puzzle or are stumped. If the time limit is reached, the winner will be decided by which ending was closer to being achieved. And finally, if the heroic side fail to win the encounter, the villanous side will get a boost to their defense score in the next stage.

We roll to see who goes first, and it comes up 9, the villanous side goes first (it's slightly tilted to villains going first, as 2-6 heroes go first, 7-12 villains)

https://imgur.com/a/jjIG3ff

So, the game has Valhella selecting and using a power "Arcane Knowledge", where it's an Outsmart Attack against the hero Pathway, where if it succeeds, it reduces the target's mystical attack by 1 until the next turn. Just like others, it's based on a 2d6 roll, where you take the attackers Outsmart score (in this case), and add the dice roll, and compare it to the defender's score.

Valhella has an attacking score of 10, and the dice roll is a 5, versus Pathway's defense score of 18 so it looks like this is going to fail, except he uses a re-roll. He has no more left at this level. He rolls better, an 8, but that means that he ties 18-18, and ties apparently go to the defender.

He then attempts Deception against each of the heroes. He manages to succeed against Delphi and Pathway, (knocking the heroes back 1 on the progress scale, -10=Stumped, 10=Solved). The progress means we're at -2, this was the villan's POWER PLAY, so the failure has no effect. Now it's the heroes turn...

We'll start with Delphi: She has a variety of options to benefit. Standard Solution is a safer play (+1 to the goal on success, 0 movement on failure this turn during the power play), or we could take a risk (+2/-1), do a leap of faith (+3/-1, but only useable once an encounter), Get a Lead (a setup action), or follow a lead (get a random bonus from our investigation).

We play it safe and roll standard solution (Attack 11+10 (2d6)=21,versus Valhella's mystical defense of 17, success! We move the progress meter back to -1

Master Phoenix uses his Psychic Interference Power (which you can apparently do once per turn) to lower Valhella's Mystical attack puzzle skill by one until the heroes act again. He then rolls standard solution, 11+(2d6=8) 19, against 17.. Success! We've stopped the villain's progress for the round, back to neutral 0

Pathway tries her witchcraft power to reduce Valhella's abilities more, but fials. However, she then uses her Charms and Spellcraft power (+2 to mystical defense for up to two targets, succeeds on 4+) to boost the defense of Phoenix and Delphi by 2. She then tries a standard solution to get progress on the Heroes side, and Succeeds (11+8 vs 17). So, we have a Success Rating of +1 after round 1.

Powers can apparently be used each turn, but require a roll on 1d6 to activate properly.

So at the end of round 1, the progress meter is SOLVED +1

Villain Turn 2:

(more in brief)

VILLAINS
Valhella - Arcane Knowledge on Pathway - SUCCESS! (10+2d6 (9)=19 vs 18. Lowers mystical attack by 1
Valhella - Standard Deception on Pathway - SUCCESS! (10+2d6 (11)=21 vs 17. Progress moves to 0

Villain turn over

The good news is this is a pretty basic encounter. Valhella only gets his power actions and one "action".. this turn he could only attempt a deception against one person, while last time, he got to go against all three (and succeeded on 2), so we can quickly move this towards solving if we wanted (3 chances)

Hero Turn 2:

Delphi: Arcane Knowledge on Valhella - SUCCESS 12+7=19 vs 16 - Reduces Valhella's Mystical Attack by 1 until heroes next turn
Delphi: Standard Solution - SUCCESS 11+9=20 vs 17: Progress moves to +1
Master Phoenix: Psychic Interference Power - FAIL (4+, rolled a 1)
Master Phoenix: Standard Solution - SUCCESS! (11+7=18 vs 17): Progress Moves to +2
Pathway: Charms and Spellcraft (Boost Delphi/Master Phoenx)- FAIL (4+ needed, rolled a 2)
Pathway: Witchcraft (Target Valhella) - FAIL (10+5=15 vs 16)

And here, we had a type mismatch program crash. Not a huge problem, this is a public beta after all.

So far, I've learned a few things. You don't apparently have to take all your characters actions in a row, which is good because it allows tactical actions (I should have used Pathway's Witchcraft first because that targets defense until the BEGINNING of my next turn, so if I want to have maximum effect, it should be before any others try to do anything versus that defense stat.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Edit: Quote is not edit.

edit 2: Eh, gently caress it. Just Posted.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 24, 2022

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
does the dark id still do stuff? his LPs were always great fun.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sadly no, he dropped out earlier this year.
From what recall from his twitter posts there were death threats involved but I'm pretty sure it wasn't LP forum related but otherwise no idea about the whole story what happened.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That's a drat shame. I just figured he didn't want to bother trying to pick it up again after SE nuked all channels that had any of their music on 'em to put up their own Japanese-only version of a music channel.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

iirc he posted support for Ukraine on Twitter and that caused a bunch of idiots to dogpile him, but he still started an LP for Parasite Eve.

What broke him was Youtube nuking his whole account due to copyright strikes. Years upon years of videos, gone.

I'd stop doing LPs too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yeah, that happened as well.
I'll admit I forgot about that part.

But yeah, if that happened to my YT account I'd probably give up on videos as well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BisbyWorl posted:

iirc he posted support for Ukraine on Twitter and that caused a bunch of idiots to dogpile him, but he still started an LP for Parasite Eve.

What broke him was Youtube nuking his whole account due to copyright strikes. Years upon years of videos, gone.

I'd stop doing LPs too.

Wow, yeah, that loving sucks.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cooked Auto posted:

But yeah, if that happened to my YT account I'd probably give up on videos as well.

It wasn't just videos, he covered boss fights, cutscenes, and music. Go flip through Shadow Hearts Covenant and count how many YT links he posted with each update. All of those are now dead.

Even if he did start a new account and reupload everything that was nuked, I can't imagine how much work actually going through each of his 25 LPs and swapping out every link for new ones would be, let alone coordinating with Baldurk to swap the old pages with new ones.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 26, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fair point, it definitely sucks either way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Even if he did start a new account and reupload everything that was nuked, I can't imagine how much work actually going through each of his 25 LPs and swapping out every link for news ones would be, let alone coordinating with Baldurk to swap the old pages with new ones.

Reuploading would be awful, but the amount of storage you'd need for personal back-ups? Woof. That's soul-crushing :smith:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress, and I can not stress this enough, YouTube.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was hoping there would be Internet archive backups of the videos already set-up, but apparently not for these ones, that's a shame.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What exactly was in Dark Id's videos that SE was going after them for? There's so many videos and channels out there that use content from their games that haven't had any kind of reckoning like that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He had soundtrack uploads and they did a copyright pass

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

Sadly no, he dropped out earlier this year.
From what recall from his twitter posts there were death threats involved but I'm pretty sure it wasn't LP forum related but otherwise no idea about the whole story what happened.

ah dang, this is news to me because i wasn't following his most recent thread.

Dark Id, if you are lurkin' the Sandcastle, thanks for the LPs! they were real good!

heck, the Xenogears LP is what got me into it myself... while reading it i thought "this is fun, i could do this, i WANT to do this"... and, well, now look at me. i have done something like 20 of my own and guested on a bunch of others. it's been fun doing them, so thanks for the motivation too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah man, sorry to hear that you got hosed like that, you didn't deserve it. Farewell to a real one. I enjoyed the Shadow Hearts series LPs, didn't get a chance to check out any others, and I suppose now I never will. :patriot:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

ah dang, this is news to me because i wasn't following his most recent thread.

Dark Id, if you are lurkin' the Sandcastle, thanks for the LPs! they were real good!

heck, the Xenogears LP is what got me into it myself... while reading it i thought "this is fun, i could do this, i WANT to do this"... and, well, now look at me. i have done something like 20 of my own and guested on a bunch of others. it's been fun doing them, so thanks for the motivation too.

I have a similar story but for Dirge of Cerberus. That LP was, at the time, one of the funniest things I'd ever read on SA/the LP Archive, and I was similarly inspired by it and got the urge to go "I would like to do this myself one day." The way Id was able to cut to the heart of what made a bad game truly terrible with both humor and vented frustration like the most deft of satirists was a sight to behold and something I tried to emulate for myself in my various LPs. I've only done one game I've considered "bad", but I've always tried to keep that approach of "skewer what you love" because it's a good way of keeping you honest.

I imagine a fail number of the LPers currently on SA today have similar stories.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

His Resident Evil LPs were definitively formative reading on some level for me when it comes getting into the LP hobby.
Some of the writing could be seen as dated (pretty sure he mentioned some of the stuff from RE0 coming off as not great these days*) but the style and execution itself was solid and enjoyable.
I think he's one of the few LPers where I've read through pretty much everything they've done, just because it was so enjoyable.

*I know the feeling for that, as the times I've glanced at some of my older commentary my usual reaction to some of it is :yikes:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Rightload ain't working for me since I switched to a new laptop, giving a "plugin DLL file is damage or does not exist [Exception at Main -> Init UploadThread]" error even after freshly re-installing both the plugin from lpix and rightload itself. Am I dumb for missing something here?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Visual Novel Sports Club: A Group LP of Pyre

Hello LP subforum, it's been a long time since I've posted here but I've got a new LP I'd like to post here. Looking for feedback before I just post a thread.

What is Pyre?

Pyre is Supergiant's third game, after Bastion and Transistor but before Hades. It is, in my opinion, their amazing sleeper hit that often gets slept on in favor of quicker, more well tuned games like Hades.

Pyre is a hybrid visual novel/sports RPG where you manage a team of athletes attempting to be the best ballers they can be. But a lot is at stake! Every participant is actually a prisoner of the Downside, a fantasy hellscape that sucks to live in, and all prisoners are exiled from a fantasy city known as the Commonwealth. Only the best ballers can be freed from the Downside, and to do that we must observe the sacred Rituals of the Rites!

What are the Rites?
The Rites are a combination of football/basketball played 3-on-3 with a goal for each team on each side. The idea is to get the ball into the opponent's goal to do damage to their Pyre. The first team to snuff out the opposing team's Pyre wins, and the best teams are eligible to win their freedom! Or so we hear. Following the traditions of the Rites is paramount.

How Will This LP Work?
This is a group effort LP, inspired by Slowbeef's Visual Novel Book Club. In that series Slowbeef would gather several people blind on each visual novel game to talk about it in depth. For this LP I've gathered three blind players to go on the journey with me and talk about their experiences.

They are:

Minimatt
Ryyudo
TurboC

Each of us will have a similar but different road trip across the Downside that we'll discuss, and when it comes time to conduct the Rites we will view the highlights of everyone's game and do some sports commentary for the audience.

Couple of Rules for the Players Involved:
All games are final! No Restarts are allowed!
Any difficulty is allowed, and you can change diffculties at any time, but Normal difficulty is recommended for a first playthrough.

I will be playing on True Nightwings, the hardest difficulty and will discuss in detail what that means for me in the video.

Without further interruption, let's get going!

Episode One

https://youtu.be/N165ZOtL4c4

This episode is basically a proof of concept, it contains the first three Rites and we haven't recorded any further yet. All advice is appreciated! I know my audio is a bit dodgy and I need to work on that going forward. If yall don't think this is right for the subforum that's cool too, I just thought it'd be cool to have a forum thread where people could talk about the game as I post the videos and all that.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 14, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I can't even actually watch the video yet but somehow I have a feeling there aren't gonna be any objections to the concept, it's a winner. We'll see if I have any technical observations later but frankly I'm already sold.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's certainly more "off topic" (by an overly strict definition) things on the subforum than a series of videos where you play the game through from the start, no cutscene skipping, so I wouldn't worry about that.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Might just move ahead and post the thread then, it's live now. Feedback still appreciated

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017630

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Polsy posted:

There's certainly more "off topic" (by an overly strict definition) things on the subforum than a series of videos where you play the game through from the start, no cutscene skipping, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Strikes me that a series of videos where someone plays a game from the start and talks over it might be the most on-topic thing you can do here

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If I can run my wrestling e-fed in LP anything can be done in LP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ooo, the concept looks p neat and i am into it. heck yah post it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I were to post an interactive Let's Play of a (non-video game) RPG that I'd want goons to choose the direction of post-by-post, would this be appropriate subforum? Or would that be more appropriate in Traditional Games, or GBS or whatnot? It doesn't seem to quite fit into any subforum cleanly and I want it to be a bit more serious than GBS might allow. I know there have been similar choose-your-own-adventure things in the past, but I'm not really sure how to track them down.

e: It's based on a movie and is driven somewhat by AI imagery, if that helps clarify or confuse.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 2, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
People have done tabletop or board game LPs driven by player choice before, yes.

There's an infamous LP that was literally Team Voted Rock, Paper, Scissors

:justpost:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah, my last LP was a series of machine-learning generated CYOA books, so having something that has a cohesive narrative at its base is definitely a step up.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think Let's Play is the right spot for that, it sounds cool! It could also go in The Game Room, depending on what the LP mods think.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
No official objections.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sounds cool, and I think we should go left.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Unofficial objection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Sounds cool, and I think we should go left.

Maybe we should open the mail box first :eng101: