Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PXG 7 Wood review:

It's good, and it actually sounds really nice.

I used it for a range session and then out on the course today and I'm really impressed with it so far. I'm sure I'll come to hate the club as I do most of my clubs but right now I'm pretty happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

PXG 7 Wood review:

It's good, and it actually sounds really nice.

I used it for a range session and then out on the course today and I'm really impressed with it so far. I'm sure I'll come to hate the club as I do most of my clubs but right now I'm pretty happy.

Same.

Second shot on the par 5 number 2, and I had a scabby, hardpan lie 245 out. Thought, man, my first use is gonna suck, maybe just hit 8 iron out. Knew it would be thin, but hit it straight, low ball 220.

Hit it a bit thin all day on the course, but great, high flight on the range. Good sound, looks great behind the ball.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I played my smoothest round at the nicer of the local muni's. Short course but oh my loving GOD is it tight. #17 is a 200+ yard par3 that splits between two enormous live oaks about 30 yards wide in the flight path :stare: A lot of those GIR numbers aren't indicative when a lot of my approaches were fringe near tucked pins. :haw:

This time last year, I weighed 246 pounds on a 5'6" frame. I weighed 188 this morning and here's why.

I got to clean up some 3-putts and that stupid double. Going to play the easier one tomorrow and see if I can't break 80. New swing is rocking out on most shots. I'm pulling my driver though, might be getting a little too flat. :(

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 16, 2022

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So guys. Physical therapist recommended I take up golf swimming ect sports that use twisting motion in addition to the weight lifting I already do. So I picked golf. The plus side is I get to walk around looking for my ball for extra steps. I live in the thousand island area of NY and everything is about to shut down. I was able to get a good deal on a golf sim in trade for some mechanical work. What would be a good place to learn go to learn more while everything is shut down with snow. Thanks.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Melthir posted:

So guys. Physical therapist recommended I take up golf swimming ect sports that use twisting motion in addition to the weight lifting I already do. So I picked golf. The plus side is I get to walk around looking for my ball for extra steps. I live in the thousand island area of NY and everything is about to shut down. I was able to get a good deal on a golf sim in trade for some mechanical work. What would be a good place to learn go to learn more while everything is shut down with snow. Thanks.

Are you starting from complete scratch? You might be able to find a teaching pro at an indoor simulator place and schedule like an hour lesson then work on whatever they give you on your own sim. If going to a pro is out of the question, I recommend Monte Scheinblum's site rebelliongolf.com which has some video series for like $15-$30 depending on the series. Also, I know Monte offers online lessons over like Zoom, so having your own sim would be easy to schedule a session or at least take video for him to analyze. I'm sure other instructors offer similar.

What's most important, imo, is finding a consistent source of instruction. There is a ton of info out there and a lot of it is good, but also just turning on the youtube firehose of golf videos is a bad idea, because you could find two great instructors who have slightly different ideas of how the swing even works (or even two videos from the same guy but 10 years apart) and they might not be compatible. Find an instructor, stick to their drills and lessons for a bit, if you can't get their teaching style or it's not working for you, feel free to find a new one, but eventually you need to settle on one source.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Plank Walker posted:

Are you starting from complete scratch? You might be able to find a teaching pro at an indoor simulator place and schedule like an hour lesson then work on whatever they give you on your own sim. If going to a pro is out of the question, I recommend Monte Scheinblum's site rebelliongolf.com which has some video series for like $15-$30 depending on the series. Also, I know Monte offers online lessons over like Zoom, so having your own sim would be easy to schedule a session or at least take video for him to analyze. I'm sure other instructors offer similar.

What's most important, imo, is finding a consistent source of instruction. There is a ton of info out there and a lot of it is good, but also just turning on the youtube firehose of golf videos is a bad idea, because you could find two great instructors who have slightly different ideas of how the swing even works (or even two videos from the same guy but 10 years apart) and they might not be compatible. Find an instructor, stick to their drills and lessons for a bit, if you can't get their teaching style or it's not working for you, feel free to find a new one, but eventually you need to settle on one source.

I'm not a complete beginner but I have to relearn. I have pretty decent nerve damage down both arms so I'm trying to figure out how to do the things I could do as a kid and for the life of me can't seem to make it work. Short game near the green ends up with me playing wack gently caress over the green as often as landing by the pin. Occasionally I can get around 100. The only good thing seems to be that I can still get a driver working right 4/5 times. Nearest place that I've found with a golf sim is golf galaxy down in Syracuse about an hour and a half drive.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I left a decent(cleveland) sand wedge by a green yesterday. I guess whoever picked it up liked it :mad: Normally I'd expect Vokeys to sprout legs like that, but looks like I'm shopping for a new wedge today.

edit: https://www.callawaygolf.com/jawsraw/

Cost twice what my last one did, but it's nice :)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 19, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1582834150096396288

good stuff, this

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

I left a decent(cleveland) sand wedge by a green yesterday. I guess whoever picked it up liked it :mad: Normally I'd expect Vokeys to sprout legs like that, but looks like I'm shopping for a new wedge today.

edit: https://www.callawaygolf.com/jawsraw/

Cost twice what my last one did, but it's nice :)

Be sure to check globalgolf and 2ndswing. Maybe this isn't true for all clubs, but unless they show actual pictures of the clubs, they will rate clubs worse than they are. I ordered a Cobra driving iron that was an 8.5 out of 10, but it arrived brand new, still in the plastic, and never been hit. I think it was $50 less than retail too.

Exact same deal with a rotex 4 wedge.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I got home from a golf trip yesterday and had a blast, although it was pretty chilly where we were in PA. A guy in my group aced the 17th hole in our final round so that was a nice way to cap it off. Looks like a pretty good week for weather here so hopefully there’s still plenty of golf left before the snow flies.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I got home from a golf trip yesterday and had a blast, although it was pretty chilly where we were in PA. A guy in my group aced the 17th hole in our final round so that was a nice way to cap it off. Looks like a pretty good week for weather here so hopefully there’s still plenty of golf left before the snow flies.

Had hour long frost delays two out of the last three rounds. Won't be an issue soon, here, first tee time will move to 9am and fewer frost days once winter hits. Also, more open tee times.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I scored a 42 on the back nine of my local course yesterday, which if I did that over 18 holes would be the lowest I have ever scored. :unsmith:

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

nerox posted:

I scored a 42 on the back nine of my local course yesterday, which if I did that over 18 holes would be the lowest I have ever scored. :unsmith:

Yeah, that would be the lowest score in the history of golf and would remain the lowest score until the end of time. :eyepop:

nerox
May 20, 2001

Infomaniac posted:

Yeah, that would be the lowest score in the history of golf and would remain the lowest score until the end of time. :eyepop:

Obviously, you are not familiar with the greatest golfer of all time, Kim Jong Il. :rolleyes:

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/index/_/id/7369649

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

nerox posted:

Obviously, you are not familiar with the greatest golfer of all time, Kim Jong Il. :rolleyes:

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/index/_/id/7369649

May a rocket strike me down for my blasphemy.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Just had a hole in one, but no witnesses. On the plus side the clubhouse was locked because there were only like 3 people on the entire course so my bar bill is $zero. Gap wedge from 112 that landed right next to the hole, bounced once, and spun back in. Now my golf shelf has a Kirkland v2.0 proudly sitting next to the ProV1s I hit for my only other ace and my albatross lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Congrats!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah good poo poo bud.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Awesome man! I've yet to make one myself. :smith:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
New country, new clubs time. Getting fitted for the first time next Tuesday, any tips before I head in?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

New country, new clubs time. Getting fitted for the first time next Tuesday, any tips before I head in?

Be honest with the fitter about what you like and don't like about your current clubs, the feel you like, where your game is strong or weak, and what kind of ball flight you like or want to avoid. The more they know the better.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

SquirrelGrip posted:

Don't change your swing. I've had so many people tell me that they don't want to get fitted until they fix their swing. Guess what? Your swing will always be bad. The right golf clubs can get you in play. Swing how you swing.

It's like not buying new clothes because "I'm going to lose weight anyway"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ElGroucho posted:

Don't change your swing. I've had so many people tell me that they don't want to get fitted until they fix their swing. Guess what? Your swing will always be bad. The right golf clubs can get you in play. Swing how you swing.
I went to a lesson, and apparently I am an egregious early-extender. My rear end and hands move like eight inches closer to the ball I don't really understand how I am able to hit the ball. I did not buy my uneekor with the intent of using it for video, but I now just sit there hitting balls and watching my hack swing in slow motion every night. It is so depressing seeing every swing in slow mo down the line and face-on. No matter what of the three or four drills my pro told me, everything looked exactly the same.

That said, I am taking a different self-directed approach and it seems to be working somewhat.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

7 3-putts today :stonk:
4 missed putts inside 3 feet

I was murdering the golf ball so well I barely noticed. We have had NO rain in two months and all this bermuda is hard and grainy. It's really a crapshoot right now. Tap in's turning out of the hole kind of poo poo. Everything's rolling like the US Open and boy do I suck!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

cheating rear end Patrick Reed has now added more people to his list of defamation suits that are all going to get slapped down

https://twitter.com/ShaneRyanHere/status/1587794597849309185

Awful Announcing posted:

Ryan’s 2015 book Slaying the Tiger featured reporting from past college teammates of Reed (seen above in an Oct. 30 LIV Golf event) accusing him of cheating. Considering how wildly Reed and his infamous attorney Larry Klayman have been flinging lawsuits around, it’s actually a surprise Ryan is only now being added to the list.

In addition to Ryan, the suit names Fox Sports, the Associated Press, the New York Post, AP golf writer Doug Ferguson, and sportswriter Gavin Newsham.

It reads about as you’d expect, with claims that none of the writers or outlets involved spoke to people who would have exonerated Reed. You don’t have to be a lawyer to see how this one is likely to play out, but it’s probably going to be annoying as hell for everyone involved in the meantime. The Post and Fox Sports are included for running excerpts of Ryan’s book, which the Post did as part of a Newsham piece from September.

To my knowledge, Florida has a pretty good anti-SLAPP law so very good odds this winds up with Reed owing a lot of people a lot of money

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 2, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's a shocking level of pettiness that just makes everyone side with the writers/broadcasters/etc. even more.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played 18 today, and we noticed a pattern on pin placement: no pin was further than 15 feet from the edge of the green, and only one was that far. They averaged 12 feet. I've never seen 18 pins set that way.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I haven't sniffed even par since about 2013. I easily had my smoothest 9 in a decade today. Shots were just flying true with a baby fade and I was dropping those fuckers in tight. I could see the shots before I hit them. Feels good man :)

After last weekend's putting nightmare, I think I left 5 birdie putts 12" short of the hole :haw: I had 6 shots within 20 feet. Obviously that is not a very difficult golf course, but the work I've been putting in is starting to pay off. That pace of play was me walking too. I've lost 65 pounds this past year.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 3, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Farking Bastage posted:

I haven't sniffed even par since about 2013. I easily had my smoothest 9 in a decade today. Shots were just flying true with a baby fade and I was dropping those fuckers in tight. I could see the shots before I hit them. Feels good man :)

After last weekend's putting nightmare, I think I left 5 birdie putts 12" short of the hole :haw: I had 6 shots within 20 feet. Obviously that is not a very difficult golf course, but the work I've been putting in is starting to pay off. That pace of play was me walking too. I've lost 65 pounds this past year.

One over is one over. Folks underestimate how loving hard that is, no matter the length of the course.

Losing that much weight is obviously a net positive for your game, but I swing around a bit of a belly now, and when the weight fluctuates down, my swing is different. Don't discount how that's changed your game, too.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

torgeaux posted:

One over is one over. Folks underestimate how loving hard that is, no matter the length of the course.

Losing that much weight is obviously a net positive for your game, but I swing around a bit of a belly now, and when the weight fluctuates down, my swing is different. Don't discount how that's changed your game, too.

The other muni course here is where my weekend group is and if you're ever around, do play it. That is an easy looking yardage course but it is so ridiculously tight and hilly, if you try and overpower it you better bring a chainsaw. There's some easy holes there, #2 and #11 are scorecard busting fuckers. 2 is about 50 feet uphill dogleg left that slopes severely into a ravine and my best driver shots are 165-ish in but playing 185 from the elevation into a green with a giant bunker covering all but about 75% of the accessible parts. 17 is just plain cruel. plays between 200-230 yards from the white tees and I have a tiny gap between two enormous live oaks to fit a 3 hybrid (or even a 3 wood on some days) with a fade into. It's nearly impossible to land it with my shot shape. An an added bonus the green backs up to a busy street and is elevated about 4 feet, sloping back to front hard. My buddy calls that place "17 golf holes and THAT motherfucker".

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/hilamanparkmunicipal/overview.htm

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 3, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Played 18 today, and we noticed a pattern on pin placement: no pin was further than 15 feet from the edge of the green, and only one was that far. They averaged 12 feet. I've never seen 18 pins set that way.

There's a course I play fairly regularly that always has their pins set like this, it makes absolutely no sense on a public course.

Compounding that is that they don't cut fringes on the greens so sometimes you'll get a pin 6 feet from the edge of the green so a 3 yard miss puts you shortsided in sticky East Coast rough.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
About to embark on my final golf outing of the season, 3 days, potentially 90 holes. :rip: to my body and my entire stash of golf balls

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

About to embark on my final golf outing of the season, 3 days, potentially 90 holes. :rip: to my body and my entire stash of golf balls

That's awesome, did that year this at Pinehurst. We are about to finalize our trip next year and it's looking like Kiawah Island is our destination and will be another 5 course/3 day trip. Can't loving wait.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Golf in Colorado in November.

Colorado Golf Course Seagulls by B. B., on Flickr

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
fox hollow?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

fox hollow?

The Meadows, one of the Foothill courses. So, only about three miles away from Fox Hollow.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is it worth adjusting your driver or woods at all with the provided tool if you are a terrible golfer who slices nonstop?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

DJExile posted:

cheating rear end Patrick Reed has now added more people to his list of defamation suits that are all going to get slapped down

https://twitter.com/ShaneRyanHere/status/1587794597849309185

To my knowledge, Florida has a pretty good anti-SLAPP law so very good odds this winds up with Reed owing a lot of people a lot of money

Parody account, but this made me chuckle.

https://twitter.com/PGATUOR/status/1587809892961861632?t=KVBOqc2rY6isYN3BOdqVpA&s=19

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

Is it worth adjusting your driver or woods at all with the provided tool if you are a terrible golfer who slices nonstop?

Yes. I adjusted my driver to draw bias and basically hit a straight ball now. gently caress around with it, it can affect shot shape, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

Just keep in mind that it'll affect loft at the same time. I play a 9* driver head turned up to 10* so the face is more open and I don't hook every shot.