Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

open_sketchbook posted:

im drawing it as fast as carpal tunnel will allow!

Welcome to a world called RPG Design! *whipcrack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

open_sketchbook posted:

What no steampunk robo wrists?

I thank you and appreciate your work

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

That Old Tree posted:

Is this Torchship? I follow her on Twitter and have been getting hype with every post.

Is this the only place to hear about it? People on twitter seem to "know things", and I'm just trying to cobble together whatever I can.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

open_sketchbook posted:

Is the plan to run a Kickstarter for it? The bits and pieces I've seen so far look great

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Tarnop posted:

Is the plan to run a Kickstarter for it? The bits and pieces I've seen so far look great

for chariots? no it'll just be out when its out

for torchship? maybe, but only when its basically done to fund a print run. im gonna have a public beta of an early ruleset (and i'll make a thread about it) when its ready

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Me, my GF and our roommate have been playing Pandemic Legacy 0 and im having so much fun. We're almost done with the first half of the legacy deck.

I've always wanted to give legacy games a shot. If this ends well, I eventually wanna do Betrayal Legacy as well. And I do t know why but playing this type of game inspires me to want to make my own game.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 27, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The co-operative legacy games are good. The competitive ones, not so much.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

hyphz posted:

The co-operative legacy games are good. The competitive ones, not so much.

Which does Clank Legacy count as? It's ostensibly a competitive game, but in my group at least, it ended up playing as a semi-coop as people selfishly want poo poo but also selfishly want to progress.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
As someone who knows nothing about Magic the Gathering, why does the Leperflesh-started MtG thread have such a low rating? (2/5)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The thread has a tendency to get toxic at times, between WotC price gouging the gently caress out of the game and generally making the game more and more poo poo over the years, the everpresent need to have the latest and hottest take, and some of the posters despise a specific format of the game to the point of outright hostility, it can get a bit much.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Libertad! posted:

As someone who knows nothing about Magic the Gathering, why does the Leperflesh-started MtG thread have such a low rating? (2/5)

It's the combination of several factors, not the least of which are:
• The posting there's real bad. It's part of the reason that there's like 7 splinter Magic threads for different topics, because you can't have a discussion at all in the main thread due to the toxic idiots and manbabies.
• People did not respond well to Leperflesh dictating himself the main character and taking the OP away from someone who had been writing them for over a decade. Especially since he did it under the guise of "setting a new tone for the thread", which categorically did not happen.
• Magic (and WotC) have made a lot of really consumer-unfriendly decisions that are wildly unpopular on SA (and certain other subsections of the internet). People downvote because mad.
• WotC is generally unpopular in TG on SA in a very broad sense, so I expect there are some drive-by downvotes from people who don't read/play.

The rating really doesn't matter, though. I don't know anyone that actually reads/doesn't read threads based on their rating (they don't show on the Android app and I personally hide them on desktop). What matters is that the MtG thread is sort of emblematic of the moderation issues in TG and you can't fix one without the other.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think it's unfair to characterize the problems with the mtg thread as being "emblematic of the moderation issues in TG" considering how a fair number of the slapfights in there start from you trying to come in and dictate how other people should be posting, Toshimo.

Toshimo posted:

The game is much better off not catering to your incessant need for cards to be as bad as your posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is not the post of someone with an outsider's objective view of how the thread works. (And sure I'm not great either but I'm not gonna pass myself off as the arbiter of truth like you are.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
MTG was already on a trajectory towards worse and more consumer-hostile design when I quit playing over a decade ago, I can't even imagine what a shitshow it must be now.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
They're selling packs that have a chance to contain official, non-tournament-legal proxies of reserved list cards for $250 a pop so good call there

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't even imagine what a shitshow it must be now.

This is an extremely accurate statement. Although to be fair, they did accidentally invent their own form of speculation commodity.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It is a shitshow, but the actual game design is still mostly good and fun. Since commander is now the most popular paper format and it's not a tournament format, lots of people have just said gently caress it as far as engaging with WotC's business model and are just proxying cards. This 30th Anniversary poo poo (the 250 dollar packs that GetDunked mentioned) seems to have accelerated that process.

My personal view is that the game has become way more fun and relaxed since I stopped caring about reprint policies and rarities

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tarnop posted:

It is a shitshow, but the actual game design is still mostly good and fun. Since commander is now the most popular paper format and it's not a tournament format, lots of people have just said gently caress it as far as engaging with WotC's business model and are just proxying cards. This 30th Anniversary poo poo (the 250 dollar packs that GetDunked mentioned) seems to have accelerated that process.

My personal view is that the game has become way more fun and relaxed since I stopped caring about reprint policies and rarities

Oh poo poo, if proxies start gaining traction I’ll be back into Magic in a flash.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh poo poo, if proxies start gaining traction I’ll be back into Magic in a flash.

https://youtu.be/s6wS8YSudj0

Tolarian Community College is the most subscribed MTG channel on YouTube and this is their most recent gameplay video. Everyone is using incredibly obvious proxies and the comments are full of people saying how great that is

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
This is maybe drifting into Industry chatter, but Mr. Tolarian Professor Guy seems pretty cool and has reasonable and measured assessments about the state of MtG. You can tell the naked moneygrubbing escalation state of MtG is wearing away at him, but he always gives honest and pretty fair thoughts on the state of different formats and releases. He is passionate and loves the game, but is also frequently critical of WotC business practices and promotes alternatives to Magic and stuff, too. I think it's hard to maintain that kind of tone in the face of what Magic's become and further becoming, and that reflects a lot in the thread discussions.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GetDunked posted:

They're selling packs that have a chance to contain official, non-tournament-legal proxies of reserved list cards for $250 a pop so good call there

So, wait, wait, wait. They're making "counts as" versions of cards that will never get reprinted, for insanely gouge-y prices, but despite the wild cost not allowing you to use them in official tournaments? So they are simultaneously making GBS threads on the people who go "ha ha, yes, I have a rare limited thing" and also on the people who go "I wish I, too, had a rare, limited thing."

Am I reading this right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CitizenKeen posted:

Casual playgroups in general have always been mixed on proxy acceptance (spoiler: the good ones always encouraged it). Official tournament play, it's still a no-go.

So, yeah, if you and your buds want to shuffle up some proxies at the kitchen table, it's as acceptable as it ever was.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PurpleXVI posted:

So, wait, wait, wait. They're making "counts as" versions of cards that will never get reprinted, for insanely gouge-y prices, but despite the wild cost not allowing you to use them in official tournaments? So they are simultaneously making GBS threads on the people who go "ha ha, yes, I have a rare limited thing" and also on the people who go "I wish I, too, had a rare, limited thing."

Am I reading this right?

They aren't marketed as, or intended as, proxies. It's literally just a reprint of the original set with cleaned up text and non-standard backs (which make them illegal for tournaments). It's supposed to be a "collector's thing", but yeah, the pricing is outlandish. It's a hot-button issue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
back in the day legacy / vintage tournaments on the east coast used to permit up to 10 proxies per deck. the thing is this was back when WotC was completely leaving the eternal formats to rot and nothing was really "official", i imagine that fell off pretty quickly once they started actually updating the banned/restricted lists and paying slightly more attention

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

back in the day legacy / vintage tournaments on the east coast used to permit up to 10 proxies per deck. the thing is this was back when WotC was completely leaving the eternal formats to rot and nothing was really "official", i imagine that fell off pretty quickly once they started actually updating the banned/restricted lists and paying slightly more attention

It almost fell out of favor, but prices are such that people allow 10-15 proxies just to have in-person events fire. At least, that’s how it is in my local area. Naturally, almost all of the proxies I see are lands.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

WotC is generally unpopular in TG on SA in a very broad sense, so I expect there are some drive-by downvotes from people who don't read/play.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

PurpleXVI posted:

Am I reading this right?

Technically they're collectables. It's essentially a product made solely for the speculative market and their need to have random poo poo to make hyperexpensive, and it has made MtG's 30th anniversary into a complete farce as far as regular fan excitement goes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like if you're selling a collectible card game and you also have to sell purely speculative not-really-cards on top of that, you must be loving something up. But my homebrew games aren't doing $263 million in revenue so what do I know

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Depends on your definition of "have to". Hasbro has shareholders and they demand blood. If people will pay insane money for this zero-effort poo poo then they're leaving money on the table not doing it. It's gross but dismantling that incentive structure is obviously a bigger subject than TG. Their focus is on people with way more money than me so I stopped giving them mine and still have fun with the game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Magic and WotC keep loving up no matter how many times you'd think they'd hit bottom. The 30th anniversary collection was a pretty big wave, even in the comparatively choppy waters lately. It's probably the largest controbsery since they decided to sell mechanically unique cards with out-of-universe flavor (for essentially the first time, it's complicated) and directly selling it to cut out FLGS's out of the picture. At the same point, lots of the stuff they have put out in the last few years were very well liked, like Jumpstart, Unstable, Khaldheim (IIRC?), Neon Dynasty (this one I remember being much more popular than Capenna). Of course, they've put out seventy-five bazillion products every second. They are just milking that player base for every tiny squirt of moisture left, and are now mining for more. The out-of-universe flavor stuff was popular so now MTG is loving Fortnite with Warhammer 40k and Stranger Things and every other permissive IP slapped on it like it's loving Nascar.

If you don't play Magic, don't start now. If you already do, sell your shitcards and buy proxies. Or better yet, offer your attention to a more deserving game: Netrunner, stewarded by the non-profit player-run collective Null Signal Games. It's great and it doesn't cost an arm an a leg to play. It doesn't really have to cost almost anything, since proxies are allowed in all sanctioned events, but print and play services also offer nice cards.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

The initial version of the DIE RPG was released today. I had to hold back disappointment that it actually has scenarios that tell you to trigger certain events based on the amount of real time that has passed in the game.

I respect your right to react however you react, and am not about to say that you should react differently.

For context, the default assumption is that a game of DIE will last 2-4 sessions. There is also material to support long campaigns and one-shots. This includes different character sheets for each length which is kind of neat.

The one-shot scenarios and guidelines include notes on pacing, like “if you have an hour left to play, move to the final encounter as quickly as possible.” There’s at least one scenario for a three hour session with very tight timing.

There’s also other scripting in those. “Do X at this point as the GM.”

In general DIE leans into the ritualistic aspect of tabletop roleplaying. If you prefer more free form play, I suspect you won’t like it as much. Not only is there a ritual for beginning play, there are several pages on ending longer campaigns with specific guidelines for ceremonial phrases to use. There’s a heavy Nordic LARP influence here.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
Thinking about getting the Numenera Cypher core books, but I'm wondering if I should just get the 5e conversions.

I like the idea of a different system, but I play with a 5e group that already has some amount of trouble reading the rules/their character sheets; some in the group say they want a new system for something different, but I know I'll have to do some handholding, too much of which would be exasperating. I'll also be running semi-public games in the near future and saying "we're playing D&D" will certainly draw more people.

Wondering if anybody has any opinions here that they could share. I know Cypher has varied reviews as a system, but so do the Numenera 5e conversions.

kuf fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 28, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kuf posted:

Thinking about getting the Numenera Cypher core books, but I'm wondering if I should just get the 5e conversions.

I like the idea of a different system, but I play with a 5e group that already has some amount of trouble reading the rules/their character sheets; some in the group say they want a new system for something different, but I know I'll have to do some handholding, too much of which would be exasperating. I'll also be running semi-public games in the near future and saying "we're playing D&D" will certainly draw more people.

Wondering if anybody has any opinions here that they could share. I know Cypher has varied reviews as a system, but so do the Numenera 5e conversions.
What's the opposite of a Sophie's Choice?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On the subject of systems that aren't in vogue on TG at the moment: can anyone recommend resources for planning PF 1E builds? My partner and I are looking at joining a coworker's table, and that's their system of choice, but it's been years since I've played it or built a character. Is the web SRD still the best option, or are there builders?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of systems that aren't in vogue on TG at the moment: can anyone recommend resources for planning PF 1E builds? My partner and I are looking at joining a coworker's table, and that's their system of choice, but it's been years since I've played it or built a character. Is the web SRD still the best option, or are there builders?

There's a thread for PF1E. You'd probably get more responses there. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270616&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, sweet, I didn't realize that was still active. I'll have a look. Thanks!

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

Splicer posted:

Reading further back in the thread, seems like people don't like WotC and Monte Cook! I'll look for something else to run to possibly expand my little brain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kuf posted:

Reading further back in the thread, seems like people don't like WotC and Monte Cook! I'll look for something else to run to possibly expand my little brain.
If you want recommendations on stuff do ask! Also there's a 5e thread that might be able to help you out. I don't think there's a cypher thread though.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

Splicer posted:

If you want recommendations on stuff do ask! Also there's a 5e thread that might be able to help you out. I don't think there's a cypher thread though.

I bought the 2e Planescape books recently but I didn't trust myself to run it with other systems (and I'm not interested in trying 2e), which kinda led to me to Numenera just as a more complete setting+system that's outside of my wheelhouse. Looking at the cool stuff people post about here I feel more confident about just trying Planescape. I'm looking at trying to use one of Dungeon World/World of Dungeons/Blades in the Dark (all of which I have never actually played).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Splicer posted:

Horns of a Dilemma: Deals 1d6 damage or 1d12/2 damage, target's choice