Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

He was Scottish

It was a dingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Rewatched Baskin and it's still a wild, wild movie. Some things make sense/are frightening on a very intuitive level but I would still love to know about the symbolism/cultural background of its world because I feel like I still didn't get roughly 60% of what's going on. It's tantalizing because I know many Turkish people... but they are mostly parents of children I teach so yeah, I'm not going to ask them about the significance of frogs in that really hosed-up movie I saw.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Why did you post this in the horror thread

EVERYTHING IS HORROR BRO

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barbarian's on Disney+ for non americans fyi

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Opopanax posted:

Looks like we got one more Technical Disney Princess, at least.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Not until the 28th December. It shows up, but it's a preview, at least where I live.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Not until the 28th December. It shows up, but it's a preview, at least where I live.

Works in Canada

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Works in Canada

:argh: Canadaaaa!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

trip9 posted:

Since a lot of people are bringing up The Terror I just want to draw attention to The North Water, which is a one-off BBC miniseries that has a lot of parallels to the first season of The Terror but I found to be even better. It also has Colin Farrell doing a loving amazing physical performance. I don't think I've seen anyone discussing it here but you could definitely make a case for it being horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTnoP97fcA

The North Water rules. Its basically The Terror without a demon polar bear . I wouldn't classify it as horror, but it certainly has horrific elements and the novel is even more gruesome. Highly derivative of Cormac McCarthy but still a chilling read. Fun fact: Colin Farrell hosed up his health gaining weight for his role so that's why he opted to don a fat suit to play the Penguin (well maybe he would have anyway, but I guess the health scare factored in).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watching the Silent Hill movie and this movie rules. Feels like it really nailed the tone and mood of the games.

Not surprised the guy who directed Brotherhood of the Wolf managed to translate the look of Silent Hill so perfectly onto film.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Roth posted:

Watching the Silent Hill movie and this movie rules. Feels like it really nailed the tone and mood of the games.

Not surprised the guy who directed Brotherhood of the Wolf managed to translate the look of Silent Hill so perfectly onto film.

I've never played a Silent Hill game but I love the movie. Great effects work, visually interesting, a fun watch.

Watched the first episode of Guillermo's Cabinet, a fun setup but a kind of rushed conclusion. Did make me consider the relation of the rear end in a top hat Protagonist to short stories and anthologies. They're good for horror because they deserve whatever's coming to them.

Does the rear end in a top hat Protagonist ever work in long form, like a full 90 minute movie? I feel like they'll always redeem themselves or be shown to have hidden depths.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The first episode of Cabinet of Curiosities is directed by Guillermo Navarro, del Toro’s long time cinematographer. I liked it and think it looked great but he’s defenitely the least experienced director on the list and that episode felt like the one that most could have used a seasoned hand on the pacing/conclusion.

But also it’s awesome that GdT gave his longtime collaborator the opportunity to direct his first feature with a GdT story as the opener for this anthology of critical darling directors. GdT is cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone spoil the twist ending of Prom Ride 2015 so that I don't have to watch this trash movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/xanfrancisco69/status/1585399123821428741?s=46&t=Up2wcsZBOy2-NbYIbNaTJQ

see Tár because it’s a great movie

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

lmao at Crispin Glover pronouncing “sorceress” in Pickman’s Model

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Any shaky camera or parental trauma in Barbarian? I don’t want to know anything about the movie but also want to make sure it’s not going to be stressful for my wife.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Any shaky camera or parental trauma in Barbarian? I don’t want to know anything about the movie but also want to make sure it’s not going to be stressful for my wife.

Define parental trauma

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Define parental trauma
Like a lot of real focus on either dead parents or young children being killed.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like a lot of real focus on either dead parents or young children being killed.

Vague answer to your question:

Without knowing her precise triggers or how graphic things need to be, I'm gonna say it's probably best to not watch this one with her.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sethsez posted:

Vague answer to your question:

Without knowing her precise triggers or how graphic things need to be, I'm gonna say it's probably best to not watch this one with her.

I'll give you a more precise spoiler if u want to thread this needle tho

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'm prepping to shoot a little comedy sketch with an actor friend of mine and she told me she's friends with the woman who was doing the creepy smile stuff at the baseball games to promote SMILE and I'm so drat tickled by that. Apparently she's Italian and lovely, I hope she gets a bunch of work off the back of those smiles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah better to be cautious than not. It could still be good, it’s just hard to tell if it’s gonna cross a line.

It’s not actually that violent per se, but it comes in a weird and highly specific form that no one wants to spoil.

Just watch it by yourself first then swing around if it’s good with her. You’ll know her specifics better and you’ll wanna see it twice anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I wouldn't say it exactly matches what you're talking about, but there is some, let's say, bad parenting in the movie. No shaky cam that I can remember, at least

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
OP is gunna need to know specifics imo. So best to watch alone or just go in knowing

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Okie dokie! Thank you guys for the advice. I'll probably watch it on my own tonight.

Yeah, it's tricky because we have a son now and my wife had a shaky relationship with her mom who passed away. So, going in blind on movies can be tricky especially with the mom stuff. It's not something like Nope though that she was excited to see while not knowing anything about it, and based on what you guys are saying, I think she'd prefer me to know if it's worth her watching it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mover posted:

lmao at Crispin Glover pronouncing “sorceress” in Pickman’s Model

Your sauceress from Bahston…

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm watching Pickman's Model right now and Crispin Glover's accent is fantastic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Common Sense or kids in mind are both websites where you can see what upsetting content is or isn't in a movie. Can people stop filling the thread with "does Halloween have any rodent related leg trauma?" when im tryna fill it with my lovely posting

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Okie dokie! Thank you guys for the advice. I'll probably watch it on my own tonight.

Yeah, it's tricky because we have a son now and my wife had a shaky relationship with her mom who passed away. So, going in blind on movies can be tricky especially with the mom stuff. It's not something like Nope though that she was excited to see while not knowing anything about it, and based on what you guys are saying, I think she'd prefer me to know if it's worth her watching it.

Based on this explanation you're making the right call.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Let's give Kvlt one of those Herschel Walker badges he can use to police the thread. Poser Patrol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the IMDb Parents Guide actually slaps, they even cordon off the spoilers to a different section.

also if you don’t care what you’re gonna see going into a movie you should check after ‘cause it’s still funny to read a dispassionate description of it:

“10 police officers get attacked by zombies it is hard to see but a helicopter flashes light on it and you can see the zombies eating them”

“A man asks teens if they are on PCP”

“A sweaty naked woman rubs her naked crotch on her boyfriends leg. She continues to rub herself against him until he puts his hand on her chest and pushes her away. Breasts, butt, and bare pubic area are visible.”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1585799372314329088

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah even if you hate me theres so many resources out there I feel its not am unreasonable ask for this thread not to be the "is this okay for my wife/kid, does it have XYZ content I dont like?" thread.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

pospysyl posted:

Based on this explanation you're making the right call.

For sure. Just finished watching it with a pregnant wife and it was a tough watch in some parts (tho not as bad as the last house of the dragon!)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Kvlt! posted:

yeah even if you hate me theres so many resources out there I feel its not am unreasonable ask for this thread not to be the "is this okay for my wife/kid, does it have XYZ content I dont like?" thread.

It's not as if it's taking over the thread or silencing other discussions, and while those other resources are great (I use "Does the Dog Die" for vomit scenes since I have pretty terrible emetophobia), they often spoil a whole lot of other things someone might not want to know about. Asking here ensures someone only gets the information they want, and it lets them ask a more nuanced or specific question that general warnings might not adequately cover.

Again, if it were dominating the thread I could see the issue, but as it is it seems like it happens once every few days at most so I don't really see the problem.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sethsez posted:

It's not as if it's taking over the thread or silencing other discussions, and while those other resources are great (I use "Does the Dog Die" for vomit scenes since I have pretty terrible emetophobia), they often spoil a whole lot of other things someone might not want to know about. Asking here ensures someone only gets the information they want, and it lets them ask a more nuanced or specific question that general warnings might not adequately cover.

Again, if it were dominating the thread I could see the issue, but as it is it seems like it happens once every few days at most so I don't really see the problem.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people the slippery slope fallacy is a fallacy. MARK MY WORDS THIS THREAD WILL BE COMMON SENSE 2.0 SOON.

Gatekeeping is necessary. There's a reason it's a gate and not an open passageway. It's meant to be closed sometimes.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Kvlt! posted:

Sorry but if you're gonna give an ultimatum "me or the content warnings!" you might not be prepared for the answer...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Sorry but if you're gonna give an ultimatum "me or the content warnings!" you might not be prepared for the answer...

where did I give that ultimatum or imply it?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I would like to warn everyone that horror is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd much rather have discussion about the content of Horror movies like this than 5 more pages about whether or not Art the Clown is good