Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I finally corrected a blind spot in my horror viewings and watched the original Hellraiser. Wow, I’ve been missing out. It’s sexy, creepy, gorey, and some awesome designs. Plus you got some strong women characters who don’t just run and scream. Also it’s hilarious that the puzzle box is like a cursed magic lamp. Use it and get tortured to death and it’s just waiting out there for people.

I think this has been discussed, but which are best to watch? 2 and new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="checkplease" post="52732341

So hellraiser was surprise hit hellraiser 2 tried to be a sequal and continue the story to some degree you get a returning character, hell raiser 3 has even weaker conection to the first two.

you see a drop in style and quality

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone seeing Dawn of the Dead 3d this weekend

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

checkplease posted:

I finally corrected a blind spot in my horror viewings and watched the original Hellraiser. Wow, I’ve been missing out. It’s sexy, creepy, gorey, and some awesome designs. Plus you got some strong women characters who don’t just run and scream. Also it’s hilarious that the puzzle box is like a cursed magic lamp. Use it and get tortured to death and it’s just waiting out there for people.

I think this has been discussed, but which are best to watch? 2 and new one?

I love 2- def required viewing if you liked 1. Beyond that your mileage may vary.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hellraiser 1 and 2 make an amazing back to back double feature tbh i almost consider them one movie

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Regarding the final two Cabinet of Curiosities episodes, I feel like GdT should've put the quiet and emotionally harrowing Jennifer Kent piece AFTER the batshit Panos Cosmatos one, rather than before. An adrenaline crash is no way to start an episode about bird watching.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I almost like Hellraiser 2 more than the original... except I seem to be the only person who finds Dr. Channard's constant puns obnoxiously out of place... they make him seem like a third-rate Freddy clone in the middle of a movie that's otherwise way more interesting.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Crescent Wrench posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-horror-movies-of-all-time-1234597766/

I didn't see this posted yet--Rolling Stone put out their list for the 101 Best Horror Movies of All Time. The highest ranked one I haven't seen is actually pretty high, Ringu at #3. Another high-ranked one that jumps out is The Devil Rides Out at #16, which I've never heard of and is actually dead last in popularity on the Letterboxd rankings. Do people ever talk about that one, or is it a weird choice?

Devil Rides Out is one I've wanted to see but couldn't find streaming and finally just broke down and ordered the Blu-ray, I'm excited to see it!

I probably need something feel-good tonight though because I got robbed today!! And yeah as this thread and good horror movies say police do not help

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Regarding the final two Cabinet of Curiosities episodes, I feel like GdT should've put the quiet and emotionally harrowing Jennifer Kent piece AFTER the batshit Panos Cosmatos one, rather than before. An adrenaline crash is no way to start an episode about bird watching.

While I agree there was a bit of a tonal and pacing clash there I think that’s kind of a secondary thing. Most people won’t watch these episodes in pairs last this week. It was never really the design I’m sure. Just a way ti string out the release buzz and play it like a traditional season special type thing.

And maybe a little ego since the first and last episodes were both del Toro short stories.

All in all I loved the series. I wouldn’t say every episode was a full hit but they all feel like standalone features and all the directors really feel like they did their own thing. A great anthology series I hope returns.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Thinking bout it, I find the line from Hellraiser 3 to Hellraiser 4 pretty interesting. Part 3 wanted to dive only a little deeper into the ~*lore*~ to let fans know that Pinhead wasn't really bound to it anymore, like this isn't your parents' Hellraiser! You still get a lot of background on Pinhead and a bit more on the box and those are really the most atmospheric parts, everything else is Pinhead monologues and DJ Cenobites.

Then part 4 gets ambitious and wants to dive headfirst into the ~*lore*~ in no less than three different centuries. I wonder how those two movies hit if they bookend the series of awful poo poo that came after, instead of immediately following the two best movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Servoret posted:

The Devil Rides Out is a fun romp, an adventure film featuring Christopher Lee fighting Satanists led by the criminologist from Rocky Horror. But putting it that high is definitely an eccentric choice.

I can't debate too many of the movies included, but there's a lot of eccentric choices in the ordering of that list.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1586087517626912768?s=20&t=BpujL--qg12Pl_qsfDpf8g

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

sethsez posted:

I almost like Hellraiser 2 more than the original... except I seem to be the only person who finds Dr. Channard's constant puns obnoxiously out of place... they make him seem like a third-rate Freddy clone in the middle of a movie that's otherwise way more interesting.

You're not alone. That's a big part of why I still like the original better.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I watched Mandy (2018) last night, and.....that is certainly a movie.

"YOU TORE MY SHIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRT! YOU TORE MY SHIIIIIRRRRRT!"

:stare:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Horror and comedy are the genres best equipped to handle poop gags. Two sides of a stinky coin.

Ash vs Evil Dead has a lengthy scene in a morgue where Ash gets trapped inside an anus while poop and blood spray all over the place and it absolutely rules. Whole series is pretty much the best horror/comedy ever made.

sethsez posted:

Yeah it's a bit distracting, especially since "and to think... I hesitated" is a killer line delivered expertly.

My brother and I watch films together online every week by simply pressing play at the same time. I saw there was a re-release of Possession on blu-ray so I thought I'd send him a copy. Wrote the gift certificate "with love, from Satan". This freaked him out, especially when he texted me to say thanks for the gift and I said that I had no idea what he was talking about. We watched it last night and goddamn that film is so good. He hadn't seen it before and loved it. It was banned in the UK for about 30 years and didn't get a decent home release for a while after it was unbanned, and it's not on any streaming service so it's a kinda legendary film. I think it's up there with films like Martyrs and Requiem for a Dream in the sheer amount of discomfort it makes me feel even though there's nothing outright scary for much of its 140 minute runtime.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gonz posted:

I watched Mandy (2018) last night, and.....that is certainly a movie.

"YOU TORE MY SHIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRT! YOU TORE MY SHIIIIIRRRRRT!"

:stare:

Mandy is probably my favourite neon-soaked horror, though I watched Bliss tonight and I think it comes close. Goddamn Bliss is goopy as gently caress and is basically 80 minutes of strobe lighting loving with your vision.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Best parts of Mandy is where Nic Cage says nothing at all. All in the eyes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MariusLecter posted:

Best parts of Mandy is where Nic Cage says nothing at all. All in the eyes.

The scene towards the end where he's just standing in the room with Richard Brake is some peak Madman Nic Cage eyes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rewatching Hellraiser I and II now also.

Like how the first movie opens up and doesn't waste time showing you what this is all about.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just gonna put this out there, if I was the morally-bankrupt head surgeon of a twisted hospital and I got turned into a malevolent being of torment I would take every opportunity to make godawful quips prior to vivisecting my victims.

"The pain you feel now will be nothing compared to the anguish you'll feel when you witness the bill!" I'll say as I repeatedly-jab someone in the arm with a Hell-syringe, missing the vein everytime

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Final Cabinet rankings:

1. The Autopsy
2. The Outside
3. The Viewing
4. The Murmuring
5. Dreams In The Witch House
6. Graveyard Rats
7. Lot 36
8. Pickman’s Model

But it was a very strong series with no outright misses.

The lesson? Your horror short should probably start with “the”

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Terrifier and thought it was unpleasant and dogshit in way that isn't fun

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The second one is way better. I thought the first wasn’t very good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The second has a great retro synth wave track among others and more great stuff going on also.

e;

ChickenHeart posted:

Just gonna put this out there, if I was the morally-bankrupt head surgeon of a twisted hospital and I got turned into a malevolent being of torment I would take every opportunity to make godawful quips prior to vivisecting my victims.

"The pain you feel now will be nothing compared to the anguish you'll feel when you witness the bill!" I'll say as I repeatedly-jab someone in the arm with a Hell-syringe, missing the vein everytime

Seconded.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ChickenHeart posted:

You need to watch videos of Isaac Yankem

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally watching The Outside and wow, they did Kate Micucci dirty in this episode. I mean, she's unconventional looking to begin with, but drat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Anyone here actually watch all 22 films that Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing made together including the ones that weren't horror? I'm watching The Skull 1965 tonight having never seen it. Sounds pretty good.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

sethsez posted:

I always thought it helped sell what a goddamn ball becoming a cenobite is for those who seek it that the uptight and serious doctor suddenly turns into laughing quip machine. He's REALLY enjoying himself.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Finally watching The Outside and wow, they did Kate Micucci dirty in this episode. I mean, she's unconventional looking to begin with, but drat.

I always thought Kate Micucci was really pretty. :(

Unless you meant "plays the ukulele" in which case, yeah, that's abhorrent.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Barbarian is a great rollercoaster ride. The first 40 minutes has this growing tension that reaches a peak before it switches to a horror-comedy featuring a new character you actually want to get killed horribly. Then both elements of the movie come together in a third act that's both cathartic and sad.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Anyone here actually watch all 22 films that Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing made together including the ones that weren't horror? I'm watching The Skull 1965 tonight having never seen it. Sounds pretty good.

I haven’t seen all 22, but according to Letterboxd I’ve seen 50 movies starring Christopher Lee and 47 starring Peter Cushing so I must be somewhat close? Horror Express is my favorite Lee/Cushing team-up.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

:hmmyes:

She's a super cutie! Except in this episode. The terrible 1980s hair is... sure something...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm the same way i think shes a pretty person but shes so often cast as that "quirky girl" stereotype which is a shame bc shes a talented actress

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Final Cabinet rankings:

1. The Autopsy
2. The Outside
3. The Viewing
4. The Murmuring
5. Dreams In The Witch House
6. Graveyard Rats
7. Lot 36
8. Pickman’s Model

But it was a very strong series with no outright misses.

The lesson? Your horror short should probably start with “the”

Having not seen Pickman's yet (my fiance read it so I have to save it for her):

1. The Autopsy
2. The Outside (after this might get pushed, but these two were amazing)
3. Graveyard Rats
4. The Murmuring
5. Dreams in the Witch-House
6. Lot 36
7. ??? (Pickman's will go in the 3-7 range)
8. The Viewing (good visuals and nothing else)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The MSJ posted:

Barbarian is a great rollercoaster ride. The first 40 minutes has this growing tension that reaches a peak before it switches to a horror-comedy featuring a new character you actually want to get killed horribly. Then both elements of the movie come together in a third act that's both cathartic and sad.

It's interesting how Justin Long is playing a very similar character to the Deadstream guy, but does it so much better

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hellraiser holds up. 10/10.

Will get to part II tomorrow.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Opopanax posted:

It's interesting how Justin Long is playing a very similar character to the Deadstream guy, but does it so much better

Justin Long has a good amount of experience playing "guy who deserves it" though, to be fair. One might say he's typecast in that role.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

very glad to hear the David Prior episode of CoC is considered people's fave. his short film AM1200 and The Empty Man are both great, if you haven't checked them out they are both worth a go

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the Exorcist for the first time. Hold up well. The sequels worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

Just watched the Exorcist for the first time. Hold up well. The sequels worth watching?

You’ll get mixed opinions on 2 and an extreme hell yeah, brother on 3