Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

They were getting paid a million bucks an episode to make 22 episodes a year, plus it was in constant reruns and residuals weren't a loving joke back then. They didn't "need" to ever do anything again if they weren't massive drug addicts like Perry. I think LeBlanc did a bunch of live theater work, and Episodes seems like it'd be a lot more fun than a bog standard rom com like Serving Sara.

With that kind of money even a massive drug addict doesn't need to work ever again unless they're also gambling or making other really dumb choices with their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I mean it's obviously absurd on its face, right? "All of the things this party does are fueled by hate, violence, and greed, and this is supported by studies" makes almost no sense because no actual study worth its ink would make anything even a fraction as sweeping in its conclusions, but also because it relies on stringing together so many grand indictments that aren't even solid now. How the gently caress do you factually quantify hate? Or selfishness? There are still studies just trying to figure out how to even define and test selfishness, to say that we understand it exactly and it's the only motivation for a mass political theory is ludicrous. One of the softest sciences presented like it's hard, and with more decisive "proof" than you'd find in any field. It's meant to conjure images of a scientist shoving Joe Biden speeches into it, running it through some colorful beakers, and finally getting a dot matrix printout reading "VIOLENCE" in some shocking reveal we all would've seen if only we could've put the pieces together sooner. The scientific discovery of a lifetime!

Sure you can poll for a lot of things, you can ask people how they identify, you can get answers to certain questions and line them up with political affiliations, but something like "yep the data says the only reason people want abortion, immigrant rights, and taxed corporations is only because of greed!" is the dumbest poo poo I've seen in at least a few pages.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Reminds me of Haidt's moral foundations theory, aka "if we define 3 out of 5 essential moral values as stuff like Authority and Purity, then conservatives are indeed more moral than liberals".

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
this is definitely me being the idiot on social media, but I figure goons could explain this in a way I'd understand: with Musk buying Twitter, is he going to just unban the famous fascists he likes, or will everyone get clemency? because maybe somebody I know is a political prisoner, unfairly banned from twitter for calling a guy an owlfucker, and they would like to take advantage of the situation.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

TrekBek posted:

this is definitely me being the idiot on social media, but I figure goons could explain this in a way I'd understand: with Musk buying Twitter, is he going to just unban the famous fascists he likes, or will everyone get clemency? because maybe somebody I know is a political prisoner, unfairly banned from twitter for calling a guy an owlfucker, and they would like to take advantage of the situation.
did the guy actually gently caress an owl

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TrekBek posted:

musk hasn't actually done anything yet so no one knows for sure. however he has publicly said recently that he disagrees with the idea of permabans at all, so going off of the position he has publicly adopted your "somebody" should be allowed back at some point.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

This has big Bitcoin energy, where one of the king idiots was going to "review the bitcoin code"

quote:

First file is bitcoin / src / main.cpp. Feel free to correct me and guide me during this process. I know pretty much poo poo about coding. Yes, this might be completely inane but I am going to take that risk.

Let's start with these #includes:

#include "alert.h"

#include "checkpoints.h"

#include "db.h"

#include "net.h"

#include "init.h"

#include "ui_interface.h"

#include <boost/algorithm/string/replace.hpp>

#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>

#include <boost/filesystem/fstream.hpp>

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #include?

It diddnt go much further after that

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fishstick posted:

This has big Bitcoin energy, where one of the king idiots was going to "review the bitcoin code"

It diddnt go much further after that

quote:

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #include?

Ugh... Just more liberal nonsense about inclusivity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh no! Am I secretly hateful and greedy and violent and I just didn't realize it? :ohdear:

I better go to church

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Data Graham posted:

Oh no! Am I secretly hateful and greedy and violent and I just didn't realize it? :ohdear:

I better go to church

Yes. The compassionate thing to do is bomb an abortion clinic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

Reminds me of Haidt's moral foundations theory, aka "if we define 3 out of 5 essential moral values as stuff like Authority and Purity, then conservatives are indeed more moral than liberals".

Well yes, the whole point is to come at this from the foundation that all conservative beliefs are compassionate and moral, and anything otherwise is not.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Skwirl posted:

Paleontology. He was a dinosaur scientist. Don't get me wrong, the character was tedious as gently caress, but that's an objectively cool thing to be.

Oh yeah, paleontology.
Yeah agreed it's cool.
Among other unbelievable things about that like a salary to have an NYC apartment alone, a newly minted associate professor having a whole friends group who aren't in his field? And isn't constantly talking about his research? Or in a permanent state of anxiety?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

YaketySass posted:

What a coincidence then that Haidt is one of the authors cited several times!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Recently learned about Liver King.

https://mobile.twitter.com/this_is_mallory/status/1585365622346911744

His whole thing is encouraging people to drop vegetables and eat raw organ meat. Calls his followers Primals.

loving bullshit chard :argh:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Oct 29, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've never been as mad at anything as these mother fuckers are at kale

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Christ almighty this is sad

https://twitter.com/Qlippot/status/1582054722084933632

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Recently learned about Liver King.

https://mobile.twitter.com/this_is_mallory/status/1585365622346911744

His whole thing is encouraging people to drop vegetables and eat raw organ meat. Calls his followers Primals.

loving bullshit chard :argh:

I'm gonna assume this is a bit and investigate no further.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well yes, the whole point is to come at this from the foundation that all conservative beliefs are compassionate and moral, and anything otherwise is not.
uh excuse me I think you'll find that

wikipedia posted:

Haidt describes how he began to study political psychology in order to help the Democratic Party win more elections, and argues that each of the major political groups—conservatives, progressives, and libertarians—have valuable insights and that truth and good policy emerge from the contest of ideas.[41] Since 2012, Haidt has referred to himself as a political centrist.[42][43][44]
he's a centrist :)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Liver King should go live with one of those Arctic tribes whose diets are like 90% meat cos it's all they can get, and then realize they also eat stuff like the stomach contents of reindeer cos it's mostly plant matter, and call them all pussies and then die of scurvy. That would be pretty 'pog'.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They do know that fascism didn’t invent nostalgia pandering? That stuff predates fascism by a long time

Fascism uses it but it didn’t make it a thing, just knew how to use it

I know people desperately want to make modern society special so they can yell at it but even that isn’t new

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think anyone's arguing Fascists invented nostalgia pandering, just that they're gonna exploit it and you need to be aware of that. When someone comes in and is like "ecto cooler is the pinnacle of civilization, we are not built for this modern world, we must rebuild the world in our image and be kings again" you can be sure they're a loving fascist though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

And isn't constantly talking about his research? Or in a permanent state of anxiety?
I take it you never actually watched Friends?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The Liver King should go live with one of those Arctic tribes whose diets are like 90% meat cos it's all they can get, and then realize they also eat stuff like the stomach contents of reindeer cos it's mostly plant matter, and call them all pussies and then die of scurvy. That would be pretty 'pog'.

Aren't some of those Inuit tribes actually genetically adapted to that kind of diet, like you can't just go up there and start eating like them because your body can't handle the toxic amounts of vitamin E or something like that?

I'm reasonably certain Liver King is severely mentally-ill, just in the kind of way that can be leveraged into a grift. Fundamentally he's not all that different from any other 'men's health influencer with fringe methods'; he's incredibly dedicated to his physique and lends his success to his unorthodox diet (totally nothing to do with steroids). Of course this is going to give tons of men body image issues. But you have to be a special kind of sick in the head to make eating a pound of testicles a day your thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think anyone's arguing Fascists invented nostalgia pandering, just that they're gonna exploit it and you need to be aware of that. When someone comes in and is like "ecto cooler is the pinnacle of civilization, we are not built for this modern world, we must rebuild the world in our image and be kings again" you can be sure they're a loving fascist though.

I mean they are but the idea modern pop culture makes it more likely is silly. Pop culture is just pandering to what people want, not making them want that.

It makes sense, things are looking worse so people are looking at a past that’s had all the bad stuff exercised as history tends to do.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Retcon posted:

it was a very suspect relationship.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Retcon posted:

Who?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Those Tumblr posts are hilarious because black twitter/tiktok have been calling white people "palm coloured" for some time now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh yeah, paleontology.
Yeah agreed it's cool.
Among other unbelievable things about that like a salary to have an NYC apartment alone, a newly minted associate professor having a whole friends group who aren't in his field? And isn't constantly talking about his research? Or in a permanent state of anxiety?

They're his sister's friends. One happens to be his old roommate from college, but he's just a sad dude going through a divorce and latching on to Monica's crew.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/KZXcellent/status/1583533402825052161

I feel like the text is kinda small in the twitter post so here you go

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

There's critically misunderstanding fiction and then there's this dude

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they are but the idea modern pop culture makes it more likely is silly. Pop culture is just pandering to what people want, not making them want that.

It makes sense, things are looking worse so people are looking at a past that’s had all the bad stuff exercised as history tends to do.

You are right, but it's still important to contextualize it in the Nostalgia du jour so that the people most susceptible to the pandering might at least hesitate for half a second before going balls deep in the haze and becoming excessively redirectable to whomever the assholes want lynched.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

RareAcumen posted:

On the one hand "nobody tells me what to do" is an appropriate attitude to start this game, OTOH "incredibly hard to believe" :lmao:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RareAcumen posted:

I can't be bothered to find the tweet but the artist posted that those artwork were done as commissions (he does backgrounds for nostalgia pop culture youtubers for example) and he wasn't considering any political bs, wokal came in to say but I was bullied for posting your art 😢 and the guy just answered "yeah ok."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

grittyreboot posted:

Retcon posted:

Who?

*eyes narrow* 🤨

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Oct 30, 2022

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

[quote="RareAcumen" post="527341938"]

This first image is my favorite, because almost all of these things still exist and are popular with little boys—Pokémon cards, spaghetti and meatballs, TV, video games. Tamogachi are still around, but I feel like they were only popular for a year or two. I think they might still be sold at Target. We don’t need to travel back into the past to enjoy these things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If we as a culture decide to embrace fascism in order to bring back Blockbuster Video, of all things, we deserve whatever happens to us.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/CrazyMuseumMum/status/1585014457927094274?t=sP9Nj3_2WAgtNKfQE_WwnA&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Retcon posted:

I am extremely tired of this unfounded slander.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNnpXLiJIC0&ab_channel=WobblyBob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I did not see it but that Jimmy Carr show sounds utterly moronic. This take is somehow worse.