Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Propaganda Hour posted:

We made 'em up!!

Even Kablooey? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

hate it when sideshow bob steps on another rake and i'm manipulated into laughing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
[my mom sending me a lovely photo i had never seen before of my deceased family memebers, knowing that it would make me feel sad and wistful, but thankful, and happy in a bittersweet and poignant way] thank you mom. this is so emotionally manipulative of you. i really appreciate it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How about if I told you sideshow bob had cancer, not so funny now is it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Is it butt cancer?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

socialsecurity posted:

Is it butt cancer?

Goddammit

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

videogames

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sebmojo posted:

Did the rakes give him the cancer? If not then it's unrelated, still safe to laugh.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I mean, Sideshow Bob is a literal cartoon villain. Cancer makes it funnier because even as he survives every other pratfall fate and fortune throws at him because cartoon, he's still gonna get his in the end. It's ok to laugh at that poo poo in a way that it wouldn't be if it was a real or decent person.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s emotionally manipulative

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Let's call it what it really is.

Gaslighting.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
sideshow bob is real to me, dammit

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

laugh it up chuckleheads. when a video game makes you feel bad, it's a whole different story

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
this is what tvtropes does to a motherfucker

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Speaking of Requiem. Did they open up the game up at least a bit or is it just as linear?

I really liked the setting and atmosphere of the last one but wasn't allowed to veer off the 5m wide predetermined path. Not asking for an open world here but come on.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

sebmojo posted:

If it was brain cancer making him clumsy and changing his personality, and that's the explanation for everything he does, gently caress yes that's hilarious

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stux posted:

if i gave you a gift to make you feel happy. woud you describe that as manipulating your emotions

That depends. Did you use your hands to do it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm starting to think this grave of the fireflies movie is making me feel sad on purpose!! real boneheaded move by the writing team there

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
*i shoot a grunt and its head explodes into birthday party confetti*
i cant believe the halo devs are manipulating me by making me feel like clicking on heads is awesome

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm starting to think this grave of the fireflies movie is making me feel sad on purpose!! real boneheaded move by the writing team there
Do you live in a world without nuance, where individual things aren't judged on being done deftly or oafishly? Where one doesn't have to think about the quality of execution, only recognize the intended effect or overall pattern. In such a world all media exists on a flat plain of its intended emotion and cannot be judged on its individual artistic quality. The creators attempt to invoke an emotion, such as sadness, and the audience has no place to decide if the attempt is adroit or heavy-handed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

Let's call it what it really is.

Gaslighting.

Gaslighting is not a real thing. You're just crazy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really royally loving sucks that Bandai basically just decided to never put any Dark Souls games on sale again. I've always played/owned those games on console, so I never bought them in any of the many steam sales where they were relatively cheap. I'd love to be able to play them portable on Steam Deck though, but oh hey they just decided to charge full price forever now I guess. Just want to chill and play some DS3 on Deck so bad, but I'm not paying $60 for a 6 year old game I already own. I don't think any of them have been on sale once since that poo poo where they took the servers down what, over a year ago?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 31, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Rebel Blob posted:

Do you live in a world without nuance, where individual things aren't judged on being done deftly or oafishly?

:ironicat:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nah, they're right actually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Emotional manipulation isn't hard to do or even a bad thing when it comes to entertainment, but if it isn't earned it'll leave a sour taste in your mouth.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Just show a puppy and launch it out of a catapult, bing bong you got emotional complexity of grave of the fireflies

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Requiem definitely has basically one note and that note is “ridiculously tragic.” I let myself get manipulated by media all the time and by the end even I was thinking “tone it down, geez.” Like I’m not joking when I say that hundreds of thousands of people die just so the main characters can learn that cruelly isolating and experimenting on the child who can kill you with plague rats when he is stressed is a bad idea. That’s of course far too flippant and reductive but it isn’t inaccurate. If it was only personal tragedy that would be a different matter but this is Uncharted setpiece levels of tragedy.

But also Requiem rewrites the plague outbreak in Marseille during the mid-1300’s as an almost nuclear explosion of rats so I’m good with it.

Nowher posted:

Speaking of Requiem. Did they open up the game up at least a bit or is it just as linear?

I really liked the setting and atmosphere of the last one but wasn't allowed to veer off the 5m wide predetermined path. Not asking for an open world here but come on.

Many of the combat/stealth/puzzle areas are bigger and less constricted but ultimately the game is no less linear.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm still in chapter 4 but I'm just slowly slogging through it. The story feels dumb and the gameplay feels even worse than the first game.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
shocked that a game set during a medieval plague is making me feel sad, how dare it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Baudrillard was right

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aphex- posted:

shocked that a game set during a medieval plague is making me feel sad, how dare it.

I think the point was that it doesn't, because it's at doing it is too hamfisted.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Meredith Grey breathily waxing poetic while shoegaze soft rock backgrounds a montage for another Very Impactful Moment

sad question
May 30, 2020

Hamfisted? How would you even attach hams to the game box, dummy? They don't have fists!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tfw you're watching the entire thread lose their minds because somebody said, "I would prefer a puppy remain un-kicked in this, the video game I'm playing right now."

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It really royally loving sucks that Bandai basically just decided to never put any Dark Souls games on sale again. I've always played/owned those games on console, so I never bought them in any of the many steam sales where they were relatively cheap. I'd love to be able to play them portable on Steam Deck though, but oh hey they just decided to charge full price forever now I guess. Just want to chill and play some DS3 on Deck so bad, but I'm not paying $60 for a 6 year old game I already own. I don't think any of them have been on sale once since that poo poo where they took the servers down what, over a year ago?

https://gg.deals/game/dark-souls-iii/

It's 30% off at various sites ya drat baby.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Commander Keene posted:

Tfw you're watching the entire thread lose their minds because somebody said, "I would prefer a puppy remain un-kicked in this, the video game I'm playing right now."

it's just shapes on a screen, you buffoon, you rube

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sebmojo posted:

it's just shapes on a screen, you buffoon, you rube

I don't know if I like this modern translation of The Cave as much :ohdear:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think any of them have been on sale once since that poo poo where they took the servers down what, over a year ago?
They haven't been on sale since Elden Ring was released. The popularity/good word of the latter lead to a resurgence of interest in Dark Souls. It would be a bit silly of them to put it on sale when it continues to sell unusually well.

I figure you might see it on sale again during the winter sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Reminds me of the COD games. In my head I quite like the idea of picking up some of those older games for like £3 or something to get my 5-6 hours out of the campaign around this time of year.

Turns out Activision aggressively don't agree with my valuation of doing that.