Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

barbarian: justin long with the tape measure is the most i laughed at a movie this year, it just kept heightening

Agreed, just an absolute miracle of comedic timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The only auteur film/TV guy I want near Friday the 13th is Richard Linklater. Something like Dazed and Confused or Everybody Wants Some! but then Jason shows seems like the ideal reboot for that kind of thing. (I wouldn't be surprised if Blumhouse eventually line him up to do a spooky movie since they're funding his latest filmed-over-decades musical thing)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kvlt! posted:

What do yall consider the SADDEST horror movie to be?

Inb4 "The Sadness" and "real life horror" like Come and See

We’re All Going to the World’s Fair got me pretty sad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This isn't just pandering to Kvlt! but I've always found Zombie's Halloween 2 to be incredibly sad. And yes, I'm the one simpleton on Earth that didn't laugh at the Love Hurts ending and was instead extremely affected by it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

We’re All Going to the World’s Fair got me pretty sad

My man Kvlt will definitely not parse WAGTTWF as horror. It is pretty sad though.

Oh, The Den is pretty sad.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
When I Consume You is pretty drat sad. I feel like WAGTTWF is definitely horror.

The saddest horror is Lake Mungo imo.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Bioshuffle posted:

I saw Barbarian over the weekend and it is easily in my top three of characters making one stupid decision after another, almost to the point where I was actively rooting against her.

I don't understand why she wouldn't just walk out the minute she wakes up with the door flung wide open. I don't understand why she follows the creepy guy down into the basement. Why does she decide to go down to rescue the director by herself? Like none of this makes any sense.

I know characters making dumb decisions is a common trope in horror (let's go check out that noise! Let's split up), but for some reason it completely ruined the movie for me.

What are some other movies where characters make decisions that no one in their right mind would make? I want the stupidest of the stupidest.

Because nobody lives their life explicitly as though they're in a horror movie where a) there has to be a monster, b) everybody other than the main character has to die, and c) events are predetermined to conform to a satisfying narrative structure. People do risky poo poo all the time as though nothing bad could happen to them, they are their own main character, it's psychological survivorship bias. This line of nitpicking always bugs me because people in reality do waaaaaay dumber poo poo than anyone in a horror film ever has even when danger is similarly implied.

Like do you really think that if you were in Tess's shoes you'd consider noping the gently caress out of your sleeping arrangement in the middle of the night in a super rough part of town to be a reasonable reaction to waking up to find your bedroom door open? Maybe the latch slipped and the frame isn't level? I guarantee you'd be saying the same thing if she'd bounced then and there and ended up getting into trouble elsewhere. She follows keith into the basement because her conscience won't allow her to abandon someone in a bad situation even if there's a chance they're pulling one over on her, which she doesn't want to believe since he managed to endear himself to her. It's the same reason she goes back for AJ, but in that scenario she has even more reason to go in there alone since it's obvious nobody else is going to help and she thinks she killed the mother with her car. The bit I found most unrealistic was AJ & Tess not going back into the basement to get AJ's car keys in order to get to a hospital despite AJ having a gun, and that still makes perfect sense because AJ is a coward and Tess was terrified and likely in shock. I think every response and reaction was completely believable, especially given each character's traits and disposition, and I know drat well that I'd have put myself in a way worse situation just out of sheer curiosity.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

They know we were all clamoring for a prestige TV show about a dormant slasher franchise’s mom

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

the MILF slasher market is woefully underserved

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This is the horror thread, 'prestige TV show about a dormant slasher franchise’s mom' doesn't even crack the top 20 of stupidest things we've watched.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

hahahah yeah that’s fair. tonight I watched the movie where Linnea Quigley puts a tube of lipstick inside her boob

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Opopanax posted:

Do it as a prequel to Friday the 13th: The Series and now we’re talking

This is the real business here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

hahahah yeah that’s fair. tonight I watched the movie where Linnea Quigley puts a tube of lipstick inside her boob

I'll care for you to not slander Noted Good Movie Night of the Demons.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hoping for the F13 prequel series to just be an ‘80s style summer camp boner comedy. With Mrs. Voorhees in the background, getting steamed at those drat kids, but what can she do?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Darthemed posted:

Hoping for the F13 prequel series to just be an ‘80s style summer camp boner comedy. With Mrs. Voorhees in the background, getting steamed at those drat kids, but what can she do?

This is probably what its going to be. Wet Hot American Summer but Jason Voorheese and Mrs Voorhees is there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mover posted:

the MILF slasher market is woefully underserved

I just watched Killer Nun and I agree.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This is the horror thread, 'prestige TV show about a dormant slasher franchise’s mom' doesn't even crack the top 20 of stupidest things we've watched.

But it’s not the thing we want. Ergo it’s the worst.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'll care for you to not slander Noted Good Movie Night of the Demons.

it whips rear end to be clear. my faves survived too 😌

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

But it’s not the thing we want. Ergo it’s the worst.

I’m not asking for the world here man

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its actually gonna be a prequel to Friday the 13th (TV show) not the slasher franchise

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Night of the Demons 2 is also dope and Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez totally ripped it off for the wacky holy arsenal preparation montage in Dusk til Dawn

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Agreed with all opinions about Night of the Demons so far, but just in case I would like to warn that House of Demons (2009), the remake with Shannon Tweed and the kid who played John Connor, is not a classic and not really worth your time.

Or rather, it's got some mild camp and historical value as a very specific era in bad horror remakes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/sorrelkj/status/1587173265864376320?s=21&t=rweEe-xrGuNqwKOcw2rZeA

Here we go!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Bryan Fuller might accidently make a good Friday the 13th thing.

After Hannibal and Dead Like Me, I'm not ever going to say great Fuller is an accident. Hannibal alone is enough to not doubt him tbh

Man knows what he's doing when he's allowed to work. Let him at it and it's going to be one of the best releases of the decade if it gets to air

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t think that’s possible if my boy ain’t in it. I like the movies without Jason the least out of the whole series

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The amount of astroturfing around terrifier 2 is nuts. I've had people ask me about it because they've heard about it from a bunch of Tiktok influencers

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its bc its gory enough to get a wide release in theaters. On the "movies for theaters" scale its pretty extreme, on the "gore film" scale it's pretty tame.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Origami Dali posted:

The amount of astroturfing around terrifier 2 is nuts. I've had people ask me about it because they've heard about it from a bunch of Tiktok influencers

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and I guess I'm desensitized because the constant claims of "so much gore people were vomiting in the theaters" is meh. Compared to The Sadness it's practically a Disney flick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Medullah posted:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and I guess I'm desensitized because the constant claims of "so much gore people were vomiting in the theaters" is meh. Compared to The Sadness it's practically a Disney flick

The sadness didn’t get a theatrical release in AMC’s or whatever. I saw some non horror people I know thought dr strange 2 was the most unhinged movie of all time lol.

I absolutely get that people walked into terrifier 2 and were just taken a back by how much gore there was.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would see The Sadness in theaters. I bet Shudder would try if rates were good for some smaller theater runs just to see.

Also OT:

I am work colleagues with someone who is friends with the director/writer of Skinamarink! He said the director is intent on getting some theater runs in next year for sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Me too.

I know PG had a very very small theatrical run. I almost saw it at the Alamo right after I watched it at home but I was too scared of Covid.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Sadness is gorier and has a lot of sexual violence I don't think itd do well in a theater mostly bc of the latter

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Agreed with all opinions about Night of the Demons so far, but just in case I would like to warn that House of Demons (2009), the remake with Shannon Tweed and the kid who played John Connor, is not a classic and not really worth your time.

Or rather, it's got some mild camp and historical value as a very specific era in bad horror remakes.

Confusing Shannon Elizabeth with Shannon Tweed is A+.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Confusing Shannon Elizabeth with Shannon Tweed is A+.

Gene Simmons liked this post

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Hannibal was so good I'm instantly on board for every new Fuller project. They don't always materialize or last long, but this one's got a straight-to-series order.

https://twitter.com/shannon_mcgrew/status/1587159335146295298

I don't know much about the situation but I know the Friday the 13th IP has been tied up in litigation for years now, and this project sounds suspiciously like the result of a brainstorm session of what they could do with the property without Jason or the title "Friday the 13th." It being on Peacock instead of Paramount+ also feels like a tell.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I don't know much about the situation but I know the Friday the 13th IP has been tied up in litigation for years now, and this project sounds suspiciously like the result of a brainstorm session of what they could do with the property without Jason or the title "Friday the 13th." It being on Peacock instead of Paramount+ also feels like a tell.

If I remember right, that situation got resolved fairly recently, and there's a full-fledged Friday the 13th movie being worked on now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fuller will work with gillian anderson again and have her play mrs. voorhees

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching Malignant for like the 4th time in the past year. I probably have a problem, but this movie is just such stupid fun :allears:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

Watching Malignant for like the 4th time in the past year. I probably have a problem, but this movie is just such stupid fun :allears:

The Horror Thread: I probably have a problem, but this movie is just such stupid fun :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's Vic Miller doing what he can with the rights he has now (the first film's script and the characters of Pamela and Jason Voorhees as a boy and possibly different kind of grown man from the sequels, meaning no hockey masked psycho). Now he gets to make the dumb as hell Voorhees character drama he always wanted.