Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Just unlocked SB normal raids, I like the first set you can get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The samurai stuff from those raids is fully sick in the abstract but I just couldn't tolerate the clipping on the big shoulders on the chest for DRK. Maybe I'll go back to it...it's so cool to be more samurai than SAM.

I want the Anemos versions of some job 70 gear, because those are the dyable versions. Can I get those with a quick trip in Eureka or am I in for a long haul? Never even unlocked Eureka.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

SuperKlaus posted:

The samurai stuff from those raids is fully sick in the abstract but I just couldn't tolerate the clipping on the big shoulders on the chest for DRK. Maybe I'll go back to it...it's so cool to be more samurai than SAM.

I want the Anemos versions of some job 70 gear, because those are the dyable versions. Can I get those with a quick trip in Eureka or am I in for a long haul? Never even unlocked Eureka.

Just the Anemos stuff isn't too bad. It's still a grind, for a full set you need 3000 Protean crystals and 750 Anemos crystals. Those come from regular enemies and fates respectively, and you'll have to grind up elemental level. But you don't have to mess around with the other areas of Eureka and you don't need to push the relic weapon like you do for Elemental armor.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

next expansion we can call the roulette 9-5

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'd personally love to see the capstone dungeon roulette get split in half next expansion. Also to see Crystal Tower get its own roulette so I can never do it again.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do I want to be focusing heavily on chain eureka enemy kills or fates for the crystals cuz I feel like I'm getting 1 every few kills and that's not gonna work out

RME
Feb 20, 2012

If you really wanna maximize then you wanna chain stuff that’s higher than you and break off when profitable NMs are reachable

But most people don’t do that and elect to hop NMs as their main focus, leaving chaining for challenge log stuff

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SuperKlaus posted:

"looks good in screenshots" and "looks good in motion" are two separate things for glams that only overlap by coincidence or a lot of effort.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'd personally love to see the capstone dungeon roulette get split in half next expansion. Also to see Crystal Tower get its own roulette so I can never do it again.

I get the sentiment, but I think you've missed the point of roulettes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hopping NMs once you're high enough level to do so is the more fun part of Eureka. Once I'm at that point I only fight normal enemies when working on spawn conditions.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey you're right this ain't so bad with the NMs. I am not getting tons of XP now that my log is done but the crystals are good and I got a bunch of Anemos clothing worth tens of thousands on MB.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The secret is to muscle through until you get to Pyros, at which point you can reflect farm to shoot up in levels absurdly quickly

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

CodfishCartographer posted:

The secret is to muscle through until you get to Pyros, at which point you can reflect farm to shoot up in levels absurdly quickly
Agreed. The single biggest piece of advice I can possibly give for Eureka is to not go to Pagos until you are level 23. Just give up on making solid progress for a few weeks and just focus on doing your weekly logs for XP in the meantime. Anemos you can get poo poo done at any level. Pyros and Hydratos, much the same.

Pagos won't let you have jack poo poo until you can unlock that second aetheryte node at 23. Because gently caress you. Ideally you'd wait until 25 so you've got access to the third aetheryte too, because the zone is laid out in a way that you basically need to teleport around if you want to hit the NMs in time.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Im trying to get a heap of jobs into the 50-70 range prior to starting endwalker (varying based on how much I like them). Now that Im in a level range where I can easily solo Bahamut, is there any reason to burn poetics on ironworks weapons rather than a 5 min Baha-blast?

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 1, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Roach Warehouse posted:

Im trying to get a heap of jobs into the 50-70 range prior to starting endwalker (varying based on how much I like them). Now that Im in a level range where I can easily solo Bahamut, is there any reason to burn poetics on ironworks weapons rather than a 5 min Baha-blast?

Weapons are good for leveling, reduces your TTK by a few seconds per enemy when you're soloing or dungeon delving with a party. Basically it really depends on how you're leveling your 50s. If you're doing a lot of Duties then Ironworks weapons are a nice upgrade from whatever trash you had before that. If you're doing weird poo poo like PoD or guildhests then no you won't need them.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 1, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kwyndig posted:

Weapons are good for leveling, reduces your TTK by a few seconds per enemy when you're soloing or dungeon delving with a party. Basically it really depends on how you're leveling your 50s. If you're doing a lot of Duties then Ironworks weapons are a nice upgrade from whatever trash you had before that. If you're doing weird poo poo like PoD or guildhests then no you won't need them.

I think Roach meant that beating the Coils of Bahamut boss gets you iLvl 130 gear or whatever, the same as Ironworks. Except you don't need to spend a bunch of poetics on them.

So no, I think the raid drops are just as good as Ironworks and you don't need to get those.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks. Yeah, sorry I should have been more clear there.

Also gone back and spoiler tagged the boss name just to be safe.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What do I do with all the body parts monsters drop on me??

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sell them for pocket change, stuff them in a retainer if you might pick up crafting later and don't have any other use for the inventory space, or just dump them

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you're free trial you can't use the MB but if you're not then the MB may surprise you. Some early items are valuable because they're used in bulk to push past certain crafter windows, or needed to advance the window at all.

Boar hide comes to mind. The tooltip of an item will show if it can be found on a vendor and how much it sells for to npc vendors, so even 50 gil a piece can beat 2 gil vendored. If an item says it is sold by a vendor but is like 216 gil(limited) it should potentially sell well, the limited means it has a time gate component like advancing beast tribe reputation.

The crafting vendor easy mats window closes shortly after 15-20 or so, and boar leather is the LW common material for the 25-30 window and so on. There are also many, many monster drop windows that slow down ALC especially in later expansions.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 1, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you wanna know WHAT they're used for, you can just google the item and the official wiki will tell you. (Though not how useful or pointless that something it's used for is.)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Doomykins posted:

If you're free trial you can't use the MB but if you're not then the MB may surprise you. Some early items are valuable because they're used in bulk to push past certain crafter windows, or needed to advance the window at all.

Boar hide comes to mind. The tooltip of an item will show if it can be found on a vendor and how much it sells for to npc vendors, so even 50 gil a piece can beat 2 gil vendored. If an item says it is sold by a vendor but is like 216 gil(limited) it should potentially sell well, the limited means it has a time gate component like advancing beast tribe reputation.

The crafting vendor easy mats window closes shortly after 15-20 or so, and boar leather is the LW common material for the 25-30 window and so on. There are also many, many monster drop windows that slow down ALC especially in later expansions.
Incidentally, this is why it's important to have one of your two retainers (but only one) as a combat job, since you can send them out to hunt specific monsters, and they'll come back an hour later with a stack of drops. Extremely useful.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

I just do a few clears with my friends who hit 50 of t11 - 13 for the weapon and right side pieces. 2 90s can knock out 12 and 13 almost instantly.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

If you wanna know WHAT they're used for, you can just google the item and the official wiki will tell you. (Though not how useful or pointless that something it's used for is.)

You can also right click it and select "Show recipes using this"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the "show recipes" option is a godsend

In general, hides usually sell really well -- Leatherworking needs a ton of them, and they're not completely trivial to acquire in bulk. Other mob drops vary, but it's always worth checking the MB.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Diremite webs are another good low level seller. Used for various weaver cloths.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

does rclick -> show recipes show everything or just the stuff you personally can make? might not be useful if you don't have the crafters up

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GloomMouse posted:

does rclick -> show recipes show everything or just the stuff you personally can make? might not be useful if you don't have the crafters up
Everything. I know this because it's shown me poo poo I don't have the recipe books for.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Correct. It will show every recipe, but if you follow up with the "search for item by crafting method" option that will only show you results in your crafting window based on your own level and unlocked recipes. So you can check what recipes use the thing, but you can't check how many things and what else is required (without going to third party sites and possibly tools), if you can't craft the item yourself.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

orcane posted:

So you can check what recipes use the thing, but you can't check how many things and what else is required

Ah that's what I was thinking of then. I knew there was something screwy with looking up crafts. Maybe they'll change that someday because I can't think of a reason it's helpful to anyone hide mat info

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

GloomMouse posted:

Maybe they'll change that someday because I can't think of a reason it's helpful to anyone hide mat info

Likewise, it'd be nice if the right-click dropdown to show an item by gathering method worked to show where to gather things as a fisher and not just as a miner/botanist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

gtrmp posted:

Likewise, it'd be nice if the right-click dropdown to show an item by gathering method worked to show where to gather things as a fisher and not just as a miner/botanist.
Fishing is janky and awkward and the band-aid fixes haven't done anything to resolve the fundamental issue of 'hit button, wait to hit other button, wait while the game rolls to decide if you get the thing you needed, repeat'. For a game that's generally pretty good about that kind of thing, Fishing just has a complete lack of respect for the player's time, especially when you need a lot of something for crafting. (Looking at you, literally-every-crafting-tier-that-cares-about-coral.)

Edit: And the band-aid solution of using a Retainer to fish stuff up for you still doesn't resolve the issue that you need to find the stuff in the first place before your retainer can get it for you, or that the other 95% of what you'll fish up while leveling them is loving useless.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 2, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's a fishing minigame, I would be genuinely concerned if it respected the player's time and effort.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fishing is purely RNG and anyone who has more than 30% of the fishing log filled has brain issues.

Signed: guy who is only missing 1 fish from his entire fishing log.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Signed: guy who is only missing 1 fish from his entire fishing log.

Ironically, it's Red Coral

EDIT: maybe they can put cool stuff in FSH desynth again. You know, combine both bad rng systems into one big bad thing

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GloomMouse posted:

Ironically, it's Red Coral

EDIT: maybe they can put cool stuff in FSH desynth again. You know, combine both bad rng systems into one big bad thing

If only. It's Placodus that I'm missing. That guy is a bitch.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Fishing by its very nature is supposed to be just a time-waster of hoping a fish will bite.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You should probably drink while fishing like you would do IRL

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SuperKlaus posted:

You should probably drink while fishing like you would do IRL

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was teaching my sprout friend about gearing and where to buy Poetics and stuff, and some jackass lunatic barges in and legitimately suggests using pentamelded IL115 crafted instead of Ironworks???
Even if that is stronger, it'd have to be by like, what, 1%? Not to mention if you get level-synced down it just ignores your materia entirely and gives you stats based off the duty's max item level instead, which would be everything until Snowcloak when they'll have outleveled it all anyway!
Needless to say I chewed him out and shut down any notion that you should go and spend hundreds of thousands of gil on crafted gear and materia melding instead of using the effectively free tomestone gear that's better in at least 99.99% of all situations :nallears:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 2, 2022