Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Gunder posted:

I've been using both, side-by-side for a while now. They make different styles of espresso. The Mini's moonshine burrs tend to make "new" style espresso that's more clarity focussed than the burrs on the Niche. If you appreciate old-school espresso, then maybe the Niche is preferable, or perhaps the Obsydian burrs for the Mini would be better.

The Mini is on loan from a friend of mine, and tbh, I might just save up for the P64 instead of getting a Mini, but that obviously costs a lot more.

Lol I have the P64 and occasionally think about picking up a niche for darker roasts and milk drinks. I’m intrigued that the mini can give you a noticeable bump in clarity even though it’s a conical burr (and smaller than the niche, iirc). Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Gunder posted:

I've been using both, side-by-side for a while now. They make different styles of espresso. The Mini's moonshine burrs tend to make "new" style espresso that's more clarity focussed than the burrs on the Niche. If you appreciate old-school espresso, then maybe the Niche is preferable, or perhaps the Obsydian burrs for the Mini would be better.

The Mini is on loan from a friend of mine, and tbh, I might just save up for the P64 instead of getting a Mini, but that obviously costs a lot more.

How loud is the Mini? I've been using the XEOLEO (amazon knockoff that actually works really well...) hand grinder so I don't wake the wife up in the morning with the capresso infinity I have (which is also louder than my parent's infinity, more motor noise, for some reason).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

El Jebus posted:

How loud is the Mini? I've been using the XEOLEO (amazon knockoff that actually works really well...) hand grinder so I don't wake the wife up in the morning with the capresso infinity I have (which is also louder than my parent's infinity, more motor noise, for some reason).

It's not as quiet as the Niche, and has a bit of a screamy tone to it, but it's not too bad. I think it might make a difference depending on which burrs you have in it. Also, newer Minis have newer motors in them which are meant to be a bit quieter.

Edit: A good review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfcJfP5FFU0

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Everything I've heard about the Lagom Mini makes it sound like a fantastic, versatile grinder. The exchange Dollar/Pound exchange rate crashing made me pull the trigger on a Niche, but the Mini is a great option.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I ran out of espresso beans and I'm too low energy to even make anything. I need a St Bernard with beans in a neck cask thing.

Is this from the deep fried beans episode today? I'm really finding that I actually don't care for his theatrical for-camera taste takes. I really am interested in what he has to say about anything at this point, but his faces and stuff when he's drinking the coffee is so for-camera that it's kinda cringe-y for me.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

I ran out of espresso beans and I'm too low energy to even make anything. I need a St Bernard with beans in a neck cask thing.

Is this from the deep fried beans episode today? I'm really finding that I actually don't care for his theatrical for-camera taste takes. I really am interested in what he has to say about anything at this point, but his faces and stuff when he's drinking the coffee is so for-camera that it's kinda cringe-y for me.

I love his faces, much more interesting that if he was just like *sips poo poo coffee* "this tastes bad".

I'm pretty sure he's not being theatrical, he just really doesn't like bad coffee.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hoffman's face just has no combinatorial value

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Okay this feels like the lamest thing to be asking about, but after "just get what I had before" didn't work gently caress it here I go.

I make about two cups of french press every morning. The first one goes in my regular coffee mug, and is good.
The second one used to go in my insulated contigo mug, and was also good. Then one day, like a year or two later, it wasn't. A bug got in it and stewed there and no matter how much I cleaned it it did not get better.

So I bought a new one.

And it already makes my coffee taste bad, it has been for weeks, and I think I only got it a few months ago.

What's a good thermos or travel mug or otherwise insulated vessel for ~12-16 oz of coffee? Ideally not too far above the $20 range, but even then, gently caress it it's not like a one time splurge on a nice container is any worse than the semi-expensive beans every two weeks.

--edit:
Something I need to pour the coffee out of to drink it is fine, maybe even preferred just for the cleaning thing.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Captain France posted:

Okay this feels like the lamest thing to be asking about, but after "just get what I had before" didn't work gently caress it here I go.

I make about two cups of french press every morning. The first one goes in my regular coffee mug, and is good.
The second one used to go in my insulated contigo mug, and was also good. Then one day, like a year or two later, it wasn't. A bug got in it and stewed there and no matter how much I cleaned it it did not get better.

So I bought a new one.

And it already makes my coffee taste bad, it has been for weeks, and I think I only got it a few months ago.

What's a good thermos or travel mug or otherwise insulated vessel for ~12-16 oz of coffee? Ideally not too far above the $20 range, but even then, gently caress it it's not like a one time splurge on a nice container is any worse than the semi-expensive beans every two weeks.

--edit:
Something I need to pour the coffee out of to drink it is fine, maybe even preferred just for the cleaning thing.

Zojirushi makes very good travel mugs. They are easy to clean, nice to drink from, and will keep your coffee too hot to drink until late in the afternoon if you keep them sealed. The lid is complicated but comes apart so you can get all the nooks and crannies, and the lid is dishwasher safe (IME most double wall steel mugs are dishwasher safe but they all say they aren’t because the finish may wear). They make a huge range which mainly differ in the lid style and whether the interior is coated with teflon or bare stainless, but the SM-SA60 is a good place to start looking. $28 ish on amazon

All that said I recently switched to a kinto day trip mug because I wanted to try a different lid style, and I prefer it; it’s more open so you get more aroma, and easier to keep open and drink from at a desk than the flip top of the zojirushi. I also like the colors. Closer to $38 but worth it IMO. It also has a lid that’s easy to clean and keeps hot just as long as the zojirushi

And I think Fellow make a mug which has some kind of special interior coating which is supposed to preserve the flavor better, but I don’t notice a problem with the stainless interiors so I haven’t tried it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I broke my Hario decanter a while back, and was looking into buying a new one. It looks like i'm going to be spending $20-30 anyways so I may as well buy one that looks nicer on my countertop. Do any of you have any recommendations for something like that?

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I have the Fellow thermos with the different interior and like them. I hadn't noticed a taste issue with the yeti mug I used until someone pointed it out to me one day and then I couldn't stop tasting it.

I don't notice that with the Fellow thermos.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

How old was the Contigo thermos you had?

Honestly the newer Contigo"s are pretty nice. The early ones had no way to clean the lid and would grow funk. With the newer ones the mechanism flips out and can be thoroughly cleaned.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Bandire posted:

How old was the Contigo thermos you had?

Honestly the newer Contigo"s are pretty nice. The early ones had no way to clean the lid and would grow funk. With the newer ones the mechanism flips out and can be thoroughly cleaned.

They're both newer, with the flip mechanism and stuff. They're supposed to be good, the old one was good until it got damaged, and I really don't get why the new one isn't. Maybe I just got a bad one?

Maybe I should have seen about returning it before I'd had it for four months already, it's sucked for a while now.

--edit
Here's a question, I heard about ceramic coating before and the Fellow is looking pretty tempting. I kind of think metal might kind of describe some of the bad taste--

Except my french press is already stainless steel, and I don't taste anything like that in my ceramic mug. If the stainless steel vs ceramic was making a difference, wouldn't it have already made it in the brewing process?

Is there a point in a ceramic thermos coating if I'm using a stainless steel french press?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 2, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

It depends, the coffee will spend a lot longer in the thermos mug than in the brewing device, won't it?

I've not noticed it with coffee, but I can't stand plastic or even stainless steel water bottles, the water always tastes plastic-y or metal-y after being in there for any length of time, so I use a glass one. I imagine the same time-based factor applies to coffee (though on the rare occasions I use my old Contigo instead of a mug, I don't notice it).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I can second the zoji bottles with the slicksteel coating. Easy to clean, no taste residue whatsoever, and keeps it so hot it’ll burn ya all day long.

When I put iced drinks in it there’s almost always still ice in there the next day if I forget to clean it out.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Does anyone have a good recommendation for am insulated tumbler/thermos/carafe to haul 2-3 cups (15-20 ounces) into the office and pour into a mug? I'm using a thermos now but it sucks at pouring so I'd prefer something designed to be poured rather than sipped out of to avoid making a huge mess.

I'm looking at some of the items listed in here in the past few posts and while they certainly look nicer than what I'm using now I'd still love to find something specific to my own snobbish preferences.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

adebisi lives posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for am insulated tumbler/thermos/carafe to haul 2-3 cups (15-20 ounces) into the office and pour into a mug? I'm using a thermos now but it sucks at pouring so I'd prefer something designed to be poured rather than sipped out of to avoid making a huge mess.

I'm looking at some of the items listed in here in the past few posts and while they certainly look nicer than what I'm using now I'd still love to find something specific to my own snobbish preferences.

I've been using a Stanley 20 oz. thermos for the past three years. https://www.stanley1913.com/products/classic-legendary-bottle-20-oz?variant=39681650556987 It definitely keeps the coffee hot all day. It's a bit bulky, but it fits perfectly in my bicycle bag. I bring it to work and pour from it into a coffee mug. After daily use for three years it is starting to have some buildup at the bottom of the thermos, which is hard to reach with my brush. I've been considering switching to one of those ceramic lined mugs, but have been dragging my feet because the Stanley one is still serviceable.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

my coffee suddenly and drastically changed to be watery and weak and nothing has changed as far as i can tell and it's very confusing. I've cranked down the grind size to a 10,on my virtuoso, and v60 drawdown is about 3:20 with a super muddy ground bed and the water practically just runs through the moccamaster. The moccamaster was overflowing at a grind size of like 25 a few months ago. the gind size even looks appropriate.

<:mad:>

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

adebisi lives posted:

This is literally what I use my Zojirushi 16ozer for. It is actually better at pouring than drinking from IMO. Partially because it keeps things too hot to drink unless you leave the lid open for a while. I have a Contigo travel mug thing for when I am planning on drinking from it directly.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

adebisi lives posted:

The kinto mug pours pretty well and the rim is also nice to drink from. You can also just unscrew the top to pour which is what I used to do with the zojirushi, but among their dozens of tumbler lines they (zojirushi) also make an actual thermos that is designed to be poured from, the ‎SV-GWE50, which comes with a lid you can unscrew and use as a little cup like an old school stanley if you so desire

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm gonna order the Fellow Carter, I like the idea of the ceramic lining.

And also the weird giant pill look it has going for it.
. . . and also I want to have something ordered and am maybe a little less frugal than I should be at 4AM.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Broke another Bodum glass French press this morning :( Although it's been at least 5 years since the last one broke, under extremely heavy use, so not too shabby I guess. It's mostly still usable for brewing, but pouring is probably* going to be a complete mess, as the pour spout is what broke.

Any thread recommendations on a new one? (1 liter) I'm certainly interested in something less breakable, but we are kind of sticklers for glass/ceramic rather than metal or plastic, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I think I've seen ones with a metal exterior and ceramic interior, which would be great. Just wondering if there's anything specific I should be on the lookout for.

* I say "probably" because it broke in between making my own morning coffee and my wife's morning coffee before leaving for work, so I didn't actually get a chance to try it. But I'm assuming the worst, and it doesn't seem like a great idea to keep using a cracked glass carafe regardless.

EDIT: If anyone's wondering, I went with Espro P3. The reviews from around the web all seem to agree it's great.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 4, 2022

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

gotta say im a fan of the cinnamon anaerobic thing, good as hell

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I've had a used Moccamaster KBT I picked up from eBay for a couple of months ago, but after reading this thread, I feel like an absolute tool for not getting a scale all this time.

It's been making great coffee, but it hasn't been super-consistent. I've got a Cuisinart burr grinder that my wife bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago as well, and I usually buy beans when I'm out and about.

Are scales very important, or should I also look into getting a new grinder?

Here's the one I currently have:
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bredfrown posted:

I've had a used Moccamaster KBT I picked up from eBay for a couple of months ago, but after reading this thread, I feel like an absolute tool for not getting a scale all this time.

It's been making great coffee, but it hasn't been super-consistent. I've got a Cuisinart burr grinder that my wife bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago as well, and I usually buy beans when I'm out and about.

drip coffee has very rapidly diminishing returns, you'd probably notice grinder upgrades a lot more if you were doing other brewing methods

odds are a scale will fix consistency issues much more cheaply

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

eke out posted:

drip coffee has very rapidly diminishing returns, you'd probably notice grinder upgrades a lot more if you were doing other brewing methods

eke out posted:

Good to hear!

I've got a scale on the way.

Thank you so much! :)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Had my first cup of instant coffee in 15 years. This poo poo's a war crime.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

theHUNGERian posted:

Had my first cup of instant coffee in 15 years. This poo poo's a war crime.

just change your mindset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KoNbTPYong

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bredfrown posted:

eke out posted:

I have owned that same cuisinart burr grinder and is is not good enough to be into the point of diminishing returns. You would most likely see a noticeable improvement in taste and texture (especially since you do have a quite nice dripper) from upgrading to a better burr grinder like a baratza encore, which will also make a less obnoxious noise and be far less messy. For sure get a scale first, and if you enjoy your experience with the grinder then please don't feel you have to spend more money just because of a stranger on the internet. But I don't recommend that grinder at its price point because I kind of hated it, and getting a better one was a relief.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i had one like a decade ago. you're right that an encore would taste better, but it is twice as expensive and will not be twice as good.

certainly worth thinking about if you remain interested but just weighing stuff will be a noticeable improvement

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 4, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

eke out posted:

yeah i had one like a decade ago. you're right that an encore would taste better, but it is twice as expensive and will not be twice as good.

certainly worth thinking about if you remain interested but just weighing stuff will be a noticeable improvement

The noise reduction in the new grinder is easily worth the cost.

Holy gently caress that grinder was my entry into coffee over a decade ago….so.loving.loud.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

I went to bed early without checking the thread, lol!
I've got a scale on its way today, so I'm eager to see if that makes any improvement for a few days.

I'll chime in with the others here regarding that grinder I use – it's loud as hell and I've had some inconsistency with grind sizes, but not a crazy amount. I've seen the Baratza Encore being recommended a lot from a few sources I've checked, in addition to the forums. They're pricy, but if it makes better sense to go "end game" or near it for a reasonable amount, I'll bite (which is why I went with the Moccamaster in the first place).

I've been scouting eBay this morning, and I see that I can save around $30-40 on one used, but I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I would be making a big mistake going used…

Here's one I saw that caught my eye in particular:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1856436219...9aeIYQ&LH_BIN=1

Ideally, I'd like to hold off for a few weeks to see if the scale changes much, but if I still see that some improvement can be made after that time, I'll pick up the Encore. :)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I find the encore to be very loud as well, at least vs my eureka mignon, and quite slow :thunk:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bredfrown posted:

I've been scouting eBay this morning, and I see that I can save around $30-40 on one used, but I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I would be making a big mistake going used…

Here's one I saw that caught my eye in particular:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1856436219...9aeIYQ&LH_BIN=1

Ideally, I'd like to hold off for a few weeks to see if the scale changes much, but if I still see that some improvement can be made after that time, I'll pick up the Encore. :)

relevant

Buying a used encore from ebay is fine, but baratza also sell refurbished grinders on their website, which will have been fixed up and come with a warranty. You may have to wait and keep an eye on what’s available but it’s a great way to snag a deal if you’re not in a hurry

Sweeper posted:

I find the encore to be very loud as well, at least vs my eureka mignon, and quite slow :thunk:

It’s not quiet, exactly, but it’s far more tolerable than the cuisinart and other grinders in that price range

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can't go wrong with an Encore. Especially as a first decent grinder. Should also be a third of the price of a Mignon.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
I got by with an Encore for about 10 years before finally upgrading. It’s loud, but it did well for our use cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Encore is loud and slow, but it works and works fairly well.

It’s certainly not end game grinder though by any means. It’s more of an entry point from to decent grinders.

The encore is also super everywhere. Look for coupons and stuff for big box stores and you can get a good deal. I think I got mine for $99 at crate and barrel