Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think will win the 2022 MLB World Series?
This poll is closed.
Mariners 32 20.65%
Blue Jays 13 8.39%
Rays 2 1.29%
Guardians 9 5.81%
Yankees 13 8.39%
Astros 12 7.74%
Phillies 10 6.45%
Braves 13 8.39%
Dodgers 22 14.19%
Padres 12 7.74%
Mets 10 6.45%
Cardinals 7 4.52%
Total: 155 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

quote:

I think people have to consider that the awesome crowd had some effect on the Astros.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

K.

The notion that a team (not a living entity capable of deciding to cheat) and its city full of fans (similarly blameless) should pay indefinitely for the sins of some past players...

How many other teams get to be subject to this same logic, btw? Or is it just Houston for some strange, arbitrary reason.

Back in 2005 I was just really happy my lifelong team had gotten into the WS at long last. I didn't mind (that much) that we lost it. Wish we hadn't gotten swept and all, sure...

But along with missing being in the NL, I really wish I lived in the timeline where the Astros won it with Biggio and Bagwell back then. Hell, make it 2 (2004 and 2005... doesn't necessarily have to be the Red Sox and the White Sox that they would have faced, either... alternate reality FTW!).

Would make all of this (if it even happened in that timeline, ofc) so much easier to take.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Well then you care about 2017 significantly less than most Astros haters these days.

I used to wish the Astros were still in the NL Central.

Then I stopped.

Now a part of me has started wishing it again.

Blame the former owner and the former commissioner, both conveniently no longer involved. Shoulda moved the Brewers back to the AL instead or just expanded from 30 to 32 and made both the new teams AL teams.

The reality, fair or not, is the cheating scandal will remain a cudgel for people to use against the Astros well past the point of common sense or complete personnel changeover. I wouldn't consider an Astros World Series win now to be tainted, but that wouldn't stop me from calling them cheating sonsabitches. Because they're the Astros. Like, I wouldn't consider it unjust, but I'd still be unhappy, and part of voicing that unhappiness would be grousing about how they're a bunch of cheating sonsabitches.

quote:

How many other teams get to be subject to this same logic, btw? Or is it just Houston for some strange, arbitrary reason.

The entire Philly fanbase has been maligned for decades because a few drunks booed an awful and inappropriately lovely Santa almost 50 years ago and two fans once threw batteries at J.D. Drew. Some poo poo just lodges in the public consciousness forever.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 2, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ehh people got over the Patriots cheating sorta, when Brady kept on winning over a decade later as an old man. But then again everyone basically rooted against them the entire time until he left and they became less relevant.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Toaster Beef posted:

The reality, fair or not, is the cheating scandal will remain a cudgel for people to use against the Astros well past the point of common sense or complete personnel changeover. I wouldn't consider an Astros World Series win now to be tainted, but that wouldn't stop me from calling them cheating sonsabitches. Because they're the Astros. Like, I'd be unhappy that they won but I wouldn't consider it to be unjust.

I mean, as an Astros fan, I obviously don't agree, but trying to be as objective as possible... there's still players on the team from 2017. As I said last page, only 5, I believe. But yes. So fair enough that as long as they're here, we're never going to hear the end of it.

But A) all 25 players from 2017 could be on 25 of the 29 other teams right now (1 each, I mean) but would that stop fans of those teams from supporting their teams? No. Would it stop them from calling the Astros cheaters with 0 remaining players? It should, and might in some cases, but certainly not 100%.

And B) just the admission from so many other baseball fans that there's no amount of penance / distance / time that's enough to wash away the sins of Beltran and Cora and the players that went along with the scheme...

I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise to me, I guess. The petty part of me wants other teams to be judged under the same rules, tho.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
objectivity has no place in sports fandom, sorry.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Lose the WS once to every NL team and your penance is complete. NL East almost done!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I would simply not give a gently caress what other people think about the dumb sports team I cheer for.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
evergreen baseball statements, hth

- gently caress the Yankees
- gently caress the New York Yankees
- gently caress the Astros
- gently caress the Houston Astros
- gently caress Houston
- John Fisher should be forced to sell the A's
- Christopher Morel is a future MVP

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Poque posted:

I hereby declare that the Black Sox scandal of 1919 invalidates the 2005 White Sox WS title, which is then granted to the 2005 Astros.

The 2017 Astros WS title is then also Invalidated and granted to the 2017 Dodgers. So it is written, so let it be done.

(Edit: whoops, got my 04 and 05 mixed up there for a sec, no doubt due to my earlier alternate timeline fantasizing)

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 2, 2022

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

evergreen baseball statements, hth

- gently caress the Yankees
- gently caress the New York Yankees
- gently caress the Astros
- gently caress the Houston Astros
- gently caress Houston
- John Fisher should be forced to sell the A's
- Christopher Morel is a future MVP

I like how "gently caress the Angels" used to be a time-honored tradition here but the only salience it even has now is just that they are throwing away Trout's career and so far Ohtani's as well.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

I hereby declare that the Black Sox scandal of 1919 invalidates the 2004 White Sox WS title, which is then granted to the 2004 Astros.

The 2017 Astros WS title is then also Invalidated and granted to the 2017 Dodgers. So it is written, so let it be done.

Uh no, gently caress the Dodgers

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

I mean, as an Astros fan, I obviously don't agree, but trying to be as objective as possible... there's still players on the team from 2017. As I said last page, only 5, I believe. But yes. So fair enough that as long as they're here, we're never going to hear the end of it.

But A) all 25 players from 2017 could be on 25 of the 29 other teams right now (1 each, I mean) but would that stop fans of those teams from supporting their teams? No. Would it stop them from calling the Astros cheaters with 0 remaining players? It should, and might in some cases, but certainly not 100%.

And B) just the admission from so many other baseball fans that there's no amount of penance / distance / time that's enough to wash away the sins of Beltran and Cora and the players that went along with the scheme...

I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise to me, I guess. The petty part of me wants other teams to be judged under the same rules, tho.

I mean, you're absolutely right. It's silly and unfair. No argument here, and I'd probably be saying the same thing were I in your shoes. But also:

Poque posted:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

just Houston for the strange, arbitrary reason that they cheated in their only World Series win

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If you're an Astros fan just enjoy the historical dominance of your team and quit trying to twist yourself into knots over the Astros being baseball protagonists/atoning for their cheating ways/whatever

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

bawfuls posted:

just Houston for the strange, arbitrary reason that they cheated in their only World Series win

Right, but if A) they had won in 2005 or B) they end up winning this year or 5 or 10 years from now...

It's quite clear many people still wouldn't care.

Edit: I'm sorry, but I can't enjoy the 'heel turn' aspect of the 2017-2022 Astros like some of my fellow fans have started to. I fondly remember being the underdog in the early 2000s and.... frankly, it was way more fun, even with the losing.

Edit edit: if the Astros had beaten the Red Sox in 2018, I was gonna be fine with the Dodgers beating them that year, Bawfuls, and that was before the scandal broke. After it? I wish we'd lost to the Dodgers instead of the Braves in 21.

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 2, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

Lose the WS once to every NL team and your penance is complete. NL East almost done!
I will generously allow the Astros to shortcut this by losing a WS to the Dodgers.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you're an Astros fan just enjoy the historical dominance of your team and quit trying to twist yourself into knots over the Astros being baseball protagonists/atoning for their cheating ways/whatever

It’s not historical dominance, though. It’s a collection of pennants and losses to hit mediocre teams and one tainted title. Like being the 90s Braves or 2010-2020s Dodgers if they failed even more

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Friend, just relax and remember we're in the middle of the WS. Yeah people are making GBS threads on them for their past, but that's completely expected in sports. If they manage to come back and win this series, you will probably not give two fucks about any of this fan sniping, except maybe to drink the sweet despair nectar of their bitter tears.

As a Philly fan who lived in Boston for most of their bullshit title runs, I can say those guys grew a thick skin to all the haters by basking in their successes. The Astros will get this poo poo until they either become irrelevant for awhile or they could actually win some titles and raise those middle fingers to the haters.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Astros only win the pennant when they play the Yankees in the ALCS

mcmagic was right

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Astros only get to the WS when they beat the Yankees in the ALCS

mcmagic was right

They beat Boston last year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Astros only win the pennant when they play the Yankees in the ALCS

mcmagic was right

The yankees being playoff gaggers (and cheating) are the only reasons for the Astros run. They are ordinary against good teams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

illcendiary posted:

It’s not historical dominance, though. It’s a collection of pennants and losses to hit mediocre teams and one tainted title. Like being the 90s Braves or 2010-2020s Dodgers if they failed even more
The current Dodgers get as much dumb fan internet poo poo talking about their only recent WS being “fake” as Houston does. The difference is Houston fans got home games and a parade to celebrate in the moment. How is the current Houston run “worse” from a fan perspective than the current Dodgers one?

I guess it’s worse because they haven’t won as many regular season games, which no one seems to care about anymore?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

iamsosmrt posted:

Friend, just relax and remember we're in the middle of the WS. Yeah people are making GBS threads on them for their past, but that's completely expected in sports. If they manage to come back and win this series, you will probably not give two fucks about any of this fan sniping, except maybe to drink the sweet despair nectar of their bitter tears.

As a Philly fan who lived in Boston for most of their bullshit title runs, I can say those guys grew a thick skin to all the haters by basking in their successes. The Astros will get this poo poo until they either become irrelevant for awhile or they could actually win some titles and raise those middle fingers to the haters.

Thanks, I'll try.

But I'm just not a tear drinker by nature. I lived in Philly during HS but it wasn't long enough for NE sports fandom style to rub off on me. Maybe historically we're too easy going sports-wise in Houston but the cheating scandal and responses to it and on and on is twisting a lot of fans down here.

And anyway, re it being the WS right now. I've been reading these forums for 5 years and I know this is not specifically an October / postseason / WS thing. If only it was.

Edit: typo

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 2, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

illcendiary posted:

personally I value regular season dominance in baseball more than any other sport.

Winning as many games as the Astros have won -- consistently -- is absolutely dominance, even if they keep managing to string together losses in individual WS runs.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I will add that part of my hatred of the Astros is that the Red Sox have always been my family's AL team, and Alex Cora being the manager means I can't support them. Dude should be banned from the sport.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I will say the one time I attended a game at CBP it was a nice experience. The ticket box office held my luggage for me which was really nice of them.

Drinking water out of my CBP cup today, hoping for the reverse jinx. Might end up looking like a dumb rear end in a top hat by the time the game’s over 🤣

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah this whole conversation is why I have no issue leaning into it when the Astros conversation devolves into name calling and irrational hatred towards a fanbase. Not saying it specifically happens here a lot (but certainly has done so), but more in day-to-day life.

Fortunately I've no qualms being an rear end in a top hat about it if needed, but for someone like LFTF I can see it being a very...draining experience.

Hate that team and all the players from it, but maybe chill on the rest of it. I know this is going to be very tone deaf to a lot of people here, but I will again reiterate it, I live in Mariners country and anytime I wear Astros gear (or hell, even have an Astros towel on my golf bag), I get poo poo for it. Every single time. Even my sons and daughter get crap for it when they wear a hat to school or whatever because they also like the Astros.

Stuff like that is why I bite back when people clap on the Astros.

Edit: Only time I'm going to be real about this one - I don't like bringing personal life stuff into the forums, but trying to be civil here. Hell, it's why I really, really don't like the Mariners.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I absolutely see where you're coming from, but on the other hand the Snowballs at Santa thing was 55 loving years ago, so :lol: at being tired of hearing about it for 5 years.

Kirios posted:

...conversation devolves into name calling and irrational hatred towards a fanbase.

:lol:
Source: see my above comment.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 2, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

Yeah this whole conversation is why I have no issue leaning into it when the Astros conversation devolves into name calling and irrational hatred towards a fanbase. Not saying it specifically happens here a lot (but certainly has done so), but more in day-to-day life.

Fortunately I've no qualms being an rear end in a top hat about it if needed, but for someone like LFTF I can see it being a very...draining experience.

Hate that team and all the players from it, but maybe chill on the rest of it. I know this is going to be very tone deaf to a lot of people here, but I will again reiterate it, I live in Mariners country and anytime I wear Astros gear (or hell, even have an Astros towel on my golf bag), I get poo poo for it. Every single time. Even my sons and daughter get crap for it when they wear a hat to school or whatever because they also like the Astros.

Stuff like that is why I bite back when people clap on the Astros.

Edit: Only time I'm going to be real about this one - I don't like bringing personal life stuff into the forums, but trying to be civil here. Hell, it's why I really, really don't like the Mariners.

Hatred of Astro fans who feel comfortable rooting for unrepentant cheaters is perfectly rational and you should be shamed and given poo poo for openly wearing Astros gear. Sorry.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Shut the gently caress up mcmagic

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iamsosmrt posted:

Ehh people got over the Patriots cheating sorta, when Brady kept on winning over a decade later as an old man. But then again everyone basically rooted against them the entire time until he left and they became less relevant.

People root against winners, that's the nature of sports. "They don't boo nobodies" and all that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

illcendiary posted:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

illcendiary posted:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

People root against winners, that's the nature of sports. "They don't boo nobodies" and all that.

Yeah it’s something I’ve learned about myself in the last decade-plus of being a sports fan. It’s rare that I genuinely dislike a player on a team, a fanbase, etc. I dislike teams that win because they necessarily beat my team. It’s why I’ve rooted against the Packers, Dodgers, Braves, Nationals, soon-to-be Phillies, Yankees, etc.

The only exceptions player-wise that I can specifically remember are Drew Brees and Derek Fisher

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I absolutely see where you're coming from, but on the other hand the Snowballs at Santa thing was 55 loving years ago, so :lol: at being tired of hearing about it for 5 years.

Yeah, every little thing our fanbase does is magnified well out of proportion because our teams are rivals to New York's teams, so it gets national attention. We have to deal with people thinking we're uniquely depraved for doing things that every fanbase does at some point, and will have to keep dealing with it until the end of time. Boo hoo if people want to talk poo poo at a team that cheated.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sports Argument Stadium › MLB N/V Playoffs: Shut the gently caress up mcmagic

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, every little thing our fanbase does is magnified well out of proportion because our teams are rivals to New York's teams, so it gets national attention. We have to deal with people thinking we're uniquely depraved for doing things that every fanbase does at some point, and will have to keep dealing with it until the end of time. Boo hoo if people want to talk poo poo at a team that cheated.

It's surprising to me that people actually hold the Santa thing against Philadelphia because I think it's hilarious. But then again I'm a New Yorker and we're all assholes too.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

illcendiary posted:

Yeah it’s something I’ve learned about myself in the last decade-plus of being a sports fan. It’s rare that I genuinely dislike a player on a team, a fanbase, etc. I dislike teams that win because they necessarily beat my team. It’s why I’ve rooted against the Packers, Dodgers, Braves, Nationals, soon-to-be Phillies, Yankees, etc.

The only exceptions player-wise that I can specifically remember are Drew Brees and Derek Fisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Maybe you misunderstood my post, but I meant I specifically rooted against Drew Brees in basically every scenario and celebrated when he retired