Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh, as far as sad horror, The Changeling is pretty sad.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

From what I understand it's completely straight and just lets each of these people have their chunk of time to make their case without any further scrutiny or commentary. So you could see it as an endorsement-by-omission if you want.

But it also makes no attempt to reconcile any of the disparate theories, either, so from what I gather the net effect is that it comes off more "welp, those are things those people think, alright," or "truth is in the eye of the beholder" than anything. Especially since it's not like they can all be correct (right...?) and that just makes it seem all the more likely that none of them are.

Yeah this was a good way to describe it. All the people just talked and documentary provided some video or tried to slow down shots to show what they described. I dunno, I just thought it was going to be more interesting theories, though as others stated it did how self important many of them felt.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ill give you a crisp $10 to replace Tilda with RZ (so i can use it as my av lol i love this)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Room 237 is clearly about untreated mental illness. I find it to be a really fascinating documentary. It starts as an interesting documentary on Shining theories, but then almost all of the interviewees are just allowed to go off on horrific tangents, often becoming racist, anti-Semitic, or just generally insane. I like it a lot and feel like people don’t get it. As if the filmmaker’s distance and lack of interaction with his subject’s theories is some sort of approval of them. Take a look at any of Rodney Ascher’s other works and it is clear that is not the case.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Not sure how to get it down to the file size requirements but ROB IS WAR.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Pinhead had one cool moment when she scoffs at the entire idea of Heaven because a single unchanging note, no matter how perfectly joyful, is not music. More of that sort of thing, please!

I can't remember which Barker doorstopper novel it was (either Imajica or Weaveworld though) but there's this bit where the protagonists go to the world where God lives, and it's just one giant lifeless city that gets ever more elaborate and filigreed and baroque and Glorifying to God the closer they get to the center, and by the time they hit the angels ceaselessly chanting "HOLY HOLY HOLY BLESSED IS THE LORD OF HOSTS HOLY HOL HO-" the main fish-out-of-water character is like, "whoever this city was built for is insane"

I don't know how much Barker was involved with Hulu Hellraiser but that kinda seems in keeping

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I cant tell you how much i love me dm me your paypal <3

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

*heavy JR voice*

AWWW SON OF A BITCH

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Room 237 is clearly about untreated mental illness. I find it to be a really fascinating documentary. It starts as an interesting documentary on Shining theories, but then almost all of the interviewees are just allowed to go off on horrific tangents, often becoming racist, anti-Semitic, or just generally insane. I like it a lot and feel like people don’t get it. As if the filmmaker’s distance and lack of interaction with his subject’s theories is some sort of approval of them. Take a look at any of Rodney Ascher’s other works and it is clear that is not the case.

Yeah could be I expected some cool movie theories and instead got some crazy people full on talking about govt coming after them now for their moon theories. I’m definitely new to his style of documentary and will have to look some others up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

As I recall there’s no critical analysis to it at all. It’s just “here’s a bunch of people with some random ideas and we’re gonna let them ramble about it for a long time”.

The most lasting impression I got from it was one of them who was all “I’m smart and love art but movies are dumb but The Shining is art”. Just self important naval gazing.

It took me two tries to fully sit through it because it just wasn't working for me and I did pick it for one of the movie challenges. Mostly I remember it gave me the vibe of 'desperately trying to justify a degree' where someone takes some classes or earns a degree in a subject that ends up having little to no application outside of a very narrow range such as teaching that subject and rather than just accept that, now feel they have to apply it anywhere and everywhere to where it's an eyeroll worthy stretch. Another thing that stuck with me was just how broken each of the theorists were.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Sadness was better than I expected. It definitely crossed certain lines to be offensive purely for gimmicky boundary-pushing reasons, but I thought it ended up being an interesting look at misogyny and a surprisingly funny take on Covid feelings. I really liked the pathetic dude with the anime booba phone background

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I usually love A24 stuff, but this seems bad to me

also not a fan of the colour palette

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just watched Mad God.

……..

……………

…….

:stare:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I liked Cosmatos' The Viewing the most of del Toro's show, although I can understand why some ppl mightn't like it

also Daniel Lopatin's (Oneohtrix Point Never) music is the perfect match for that stuff

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

Just watched Mad God.

……..

……………

…….

:stare:

More like Mad Good!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I also liked The Viewing best. I think my overall ranking is something like
The Viewing
The Outside
The Autopsy
Lot 36
The Murmuring
Graveyard Rats
Pickman's Model
Dreams In The Witch House

These are all different enough that sometimes it's hard to judge. I thought The Murmuring was well shot and acted, and I liked that it had a consistent horror vibe throughout, but I thought it was way too long and the ending fell flat for me. Pickman's Model and Witch House were both terrible, and while I think Pickman was more flawed I also thought it was funny so at least I derived some pleasure from it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
lol it's that moment where they revealed Vince as the Higher Power. An all-timer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay so I finally watched Possessor. The only thing I didn't adore about it was that it isn't a TV series that I can watch every week.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Election Night falls on a full moon this year, there should be a horror movie where a werewolf kills all the candidates

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's a limited edition Psycho Goreman soundtrack on cassette!

:rms:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Election Night falls on a full moon this year, there should be a horror movie where a werewolf kills all the candidates

Werewolf of Washington (1973) is as close you’re going to get to that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok the werewolf attacks them during a debate but they both survive. The night of the election is basically the climax of Wolfman 2010 but instead of father and son werewolves the older one is a mentor turned political rival.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
President Werewolf

Someone get on this project ASAP.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Simpsons did it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any lesser-known stop-motion spooky features? Just stumbled upon The House from Netflix and it makes me want to catch some other weirdo stop-motion and Henry Selleck stuff is all that really comes to mind, along with Paranorman. Already seen Mad God.

The only stop-motion lists I can find on Letterboxd include way too many live-action flicks with stop-motion effects, and are missing a lot of obvious ones.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmyleg posted:

Any lesser-known stop-motion spooky features? Just stumbled upon The House from Netflix and it makes me want to catch some other weirdo stop-motion and Henry Selleck stuff is all that really comes to mind, along with Paranorman. Already seen Mad God.

The only stop-motion lists I can find on Letterboxd include way too many live-action flicks with stop-motion effects, and are missing a lot of obvious ones.

I have a weird affection for Not Without My Handbag : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGBe43GmA0

Edit gently caress you said "feature", I'm dumb and shouldn't post while doing other stuff. O well, it's still a cool stop motion short.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I haven’t seen it yet so I can’t personally vouch for it but The Wolf House seems like it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Aside from The Wolf House, some of Jan Svankmajer's works might fit the bill.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Having seen Svankmajers Alice and Faust are horror prerequisites.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

President Werewolf

Someone get on this project ASAP.
I feel like there has to be a President who has eaten human meat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Taft.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Teddy would definitely hunt man.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's been one that hasn't?

Opopanax posted:

Simpsons did it

I mean something I can wear my Werewolf Trainer shirt to.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I secured a seat in a press screening for Bones and All. Very excited to check that one out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Let me know how the bones are

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

I secured a seat in a press screening for Bones and All. Very excited to check that one out.
I can't wait to hear its Reznor/Ross score

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

Let me know how the bones are

probably goopy and not clean considering the subject matter

Rageaholic posted:

I can't wait to hear its Reznor/Ross score

same

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The “D is for Deloused” segment in ABCs of Death 2 is spooky as heck stop motion. Same dude who did The Cat With Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mover posted:

The “D is for Deloused” segment in ABCs of Death 2 is spooky as heck stop motion. Same dude who did The Cat With Hands.

I’m glad Cat With Hands guy is still around