Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Voting... Machine?

I just love voting here in Colorado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Blame Biden

Jesus loving Christmas do you sleep every 3 years?

The NY post and fox are all spinning up the outrage machine over a tweet giving Biden credit for loving with social security.

That moves a consistent red base of old fucks to the polls and phones and retweets that are happening within the thread.

This announcement from the KC Fed shooting it straight being someone who's literally taking checks from Palm Beach, right before election season.

That palm beach crew, rip in piss Epstein, have packed the courts to try and control any blatant crimes the fed may be able to prosecute.

They astroturf "police approved" candidates in small and mid level elections that just happen to be associated with white supremacy whoopsie.

They then astroturf the complaints against said pariah.

They bought all the small papers reporting on police corruption.

they want to control more of the government to defund and destroy it because they are already rich and don't need the government stopping them from creating their own fiefdoms.

I assume you weren't responding to me because none of this seems to address what I asked about?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Just a reminder that inflation isn't real and is just companies cranking the prices to 11 and then crying because for the first time in decades real wage growth started to occur and it was eating into the bottom line.

This is entirely a manufactured crisis and we're going to let a bunch of unelected shitheads destroy the livelihood of millions.

this is exactly my point - the rate raising up until now has done little to curtail "inflation" while placing first time homebuyers further and further from being able to access the kind of programs that generate any amount of generational wealth for your average family We need a legislative solution and what we are getting is a hammer dropped on poor people.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 3, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

God loving dammit, Netanyahu is back as PM of Israel.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1588209655175872513

That dude is the political equivalent of a cold sore- he’ll always come back and be worse than the last time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/22/homes/us-home-prices-falling/index.html

Home price growth has stopped nationally and, in some markets, prices are already declining. So like, I don't know what else to tell you.

Prices rose by 13% in October and are gradually slowing. There's been some regional price correction, but nationally prices are expected to dip about 5% over the next year. So let's not pretend things are getting affordable. The current "high" level of supply is because homes are spending longer on the market not because of new listings, and new home construction slowed by double-digits in September (probably October, too), so once the current construction wave ends, supply levels are going to tank again. Price drops will not follow.

I'm trying to buy right now, and it's loving atrocious out there.

Edit:

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe I'm way the gently caress out of the box here, but I feel that 600k houses are a bigger problem than 15% interest rates.

Blame Blackrock, Zillow, and whatever forces control construction on a large scale.

Looking at the average home price of $542,900, every .75% increase adds over $250 per month to the mortgage (and increasing each time). If we get another one, it'll add almost 290.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 3, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

God loving dammit, Netanyahu

I'm starting to think a majority of israelis have genuinely bad political opinions. If only they wou... :psyduck: ld give peace a chance :psyduck:

gently caress I've become a hateful hippie

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

I'm trying to buy right now, and it's loving atrocious out there.

I've got so many friends that bought last year. On the one hand, they're probably going to be underwater on their mortgages soon, but on the other at least they were able to lock in a bargain basement interest rate.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm starting to think a majority of israelis have genuinely bad political opinions. If only they wou... :psyduck: ld give peace a chance :psyduck:

gently caress I've become a hateful hippie

someone named Bush 3 times

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

I've got so many friends that bought last year. On the one hand, they're probably going to be underwater on their mortgages soon, but on the other at least they were able to lock in a bargain basement interest rate.

Except they're not, because prices are not going to plummet. This isn't 2008, sadly. Supply is going to remain low enough to keep prices up.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

psydude posted:

A buddy bought last year and ended up prez of his homeowners association when he’s the last person who’d I have thought would be in that position. Seems to be going fine as it’s only three houses and all he’s had to do so far has been lower dues and coordinate with the city for a minor street repair.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Godholio posted:

Except they're not, because prices are not going to plummet. This isn't 2008, sadly. Supply is going to remain low enough to keep prices up.

that and, as mentioned earlier, skyrocketing corporate profits mean they can invest more in real estate

the "inflation isn't real" argument is being taken at face value when it's hyperbole; obviously inflation is real, but the specific "inflation" we are going through right now is pure bullshit. what we're seeing now is a mixture of actual supply issues mixed in with a ton of pure profit motive

the 95% of the population that is not making money hand over fist is not seeing an expanded money supply causing prices to go up, they're seeing their stagnant wages over the last decade buying less and less because the ceo of whatever monopoly grocery chain exists now has decided he needs to buy his 37th yacht and he figured out that the penalty for loving everyone into poverty is literally nothing

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lightpole posted:

Inflation is good only if you max your credit on things that will appreciate in value in the future. Inflation is bad if you max your credit and spend it on things you need to survive today.

This is untrue. Dollars will be cheaper in the future, when you need to repay; you will be able to consume more things in total by maxing your credit pre-inflation.

Godholio posted:

Blame Blackrock, Zillow, and whatever forces control construction on a large scale.

Municipalities. This is municipalities. Whoever controls permitting, environmental reviews, etc controls construction. Market participants just respond to incentives created by regulators.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Zamujasa posted:

that and, as mentioned earlier, skyrocketing corporate profits mean they can invest more in real estate

the "inflation isn't real" argument is being taken at face value when it's hyperbole; obviously inflation is real, but the specific "inflation" we are going through right now is pure bullshit. what we're seeing now is a mixture of actual supply issues mixed in with a ton of pure profit motive

the 95% of the population that is not making money hand over fist is not seeing an expanded money supply causing prices to go up, they're seeing their stagnant wages over the last decade buying less and less because the ceo of whatever monopoly grocery chain exists now has decided he needs to buy his 37th yacht and he figured out that the penalty for loving everyone into poverty is literally nothing

Things cost more now than they did yesterday. This is the definition of inflation, the driver is irrelevant as to whether or not it is happening.

Prices also don't rise in a vacuum. Groceries are a very competitive market so large price rises aren't happening just because.

hypnophant posted:

This is untrue. Dollars will be cheaper in the future, when you need to repay; you will be able to consume more things in total by maxing your credit pre-inflation.

Municipalities. This is municipalities. Whoever controls permitting, environmental reviews, etc controls construction. Market participants just respond to incentives created by regulators.

Repayment will be cheaper but you will have to repay as well as buy the same items you borrowed for with the same income. The rich can leverage credit, the poor just use it to get by.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 3, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Massive layoffs ongoing with a bunch of startups.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pantslesswithwolves posted:

God loving dammit, Netanyahu is back as PM of Israel.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1588209655175872513

That dude is the political equivalent of a cold sore- he’ll always come back and be worse than the last time.

G-ddamnit.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

lightpole posted:

Things cost more now than they did yesterday. This is the definition of inflation, the driver is irrelevant as to whether or not it is happening.

Prices also don't rise in a vacuum. Groceries are a very competitive market so large price rises aren't happening just because.

Repayment will be cheaper but you will have to repay as well as buy the same items you borrowed for with the same income. The rich can leverage credit, the poor just use it to get by.

Can you explain the Canadian bread cartel then?

I don't have any economy education and try to not post about things that are out of my depth, but even I know that Macroeconomics like inflation needs to br understood holistically. You can't isolate any one part of it if you're going to explain how it works.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lightpole posted:

You can still buy more in absolute terms. Whether or not you can buy all of the things you need to survive - or more realistically, to fully participate in society - is not guaranteed over your lifetime, but if you are in the red, you can get closer by maxing your credit.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

lightpole posted:

Groceries are a very competitive market so large price rises aren't happening just because.

:rubby:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/us-lawmakers-set-hearing-big-grocery-merger-amid-fears-price-hikes-2022-10-18/

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

grocery stores get bigger by offering lower prices to their customers, not higher. groceries that overprice will very quickly price themselves right out of the market since there’s no moat

e: in case it’s not obvious this is why walmart is so drat big. if you give people a slightly cheaper alternative they will run to it regardless of the quality, community impact, etc etc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

hypnophant posted:

does this work even if the inflation rate doesn't beat your card's interest rate? it seems like it wouldn't

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hypnophant posted:

grocery stores get bigger by offering lower prices to their customers, not higher. groceries that overprice will very quickly price themselves right out of the market since there’s no moat

Ironically enough, Kroger is most expensive in my area and it's not even close.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lightpole posted:

Groceries are a very competitive market so large price rises aren't happening just because.

Are they? We're seeing increasing consolidation in the groceries marketplace so I expect that prices will only rise as the stranglehold increases.

Anecdotally, I only have big grocery store within 45 minutes of me, two small independent markets and two dollar stores. Its a pretty dire situation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hypnophant posted:

e: in case it’s not obvious this is why walmart is so drat big. if you give people a slightly cheaper alternative they will run to it regardless of the quality, community impact, etc etc

Not sure if this holds up when other alternative stores are not easily reached / available and then what happens when the megamart creates a local monopoly. Where then does the competitive pressure to drive down prices come from?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VSOKUL girl posted:

does this work even if the inflation rate doesn't beat your card's interest rate? it seems like it wouldn't

sort of. inflation always makes repayment cheaper but finance charges complicate the picture because, effectively, they reduce lifetime wealth; there’s a tradeoff, in economic terms, between income effect and substitution effect. What I’m arguing is that if you already had to borrow to pay for daily essentials, inflation is good for you because it will allow you to buy more of those things over your lifetime. An economics lesson follows.

When you borrow, you’re always trading future consumption for present consumption. You do this for two reasons, basically: you expect future income to be much higher and you would like to consume more today, and don’t mind losing a little of your total income to shift that consumption forward; college students are an example of someone in this position. The other condition is, you are very impatient and can’t wait until the future to consume some of your lifetime income. People with lower income are more likely to be in this position. (Economists usually denote this as beta, the discount rate; beta closer to one means you’re more patient; you don’t discount future consumption relative to present consumption.)

Say you’re in position two. Your rent is due today and you can’t buy groceries and pay the rent, so you put the groceries on credit. Next month you have to pay the groceries plus a finance charge. Now, the amount of that doesn’t change due to inflation. What does change is the amount of groceries you could buy with that finance charge; last month that finance charge would have paid for a loaf of bread plus bananas, but this month it’ll only pay for the bread. The groceries you bought last month would also have cost more this month if you’d waited until the money was in your pocket to buy them; you would’ve had to buy one less gallon of milk. So in effect you’re losing less to the finance charge, plus you’re shifting some of your consumption to the earlier period when it’s cheaper (in nominal terms.)

It’s admittedly counterintuitive, there’s a tradeoff, and you’re better off in all circumstances if you can afford to buy groceries without the credit card. (Duh.) But if you’re in a position where you have to, inflation ends up making you better off, strictly considering your debt. (If your nominal wages never go up, then of course you are worse off, but being on a fixed income is a labor/political/absolute poverty problem, not something that specifically arises because of inflation.

That Works posted:

Not sure if this holds up when other alternative stores are not easily reached / available and then what happens when the megamart creates a local monopoly. Where then does the competitive pressure to drive down prices come from?

If the store was profitable before the price rise, someone new can come in and open a new grocery store at the old prices and steal all the customers from megamart. If they can’t, the store probably wasn’t profitable and the area would be a food desert without the megastore, and that’s a problem but again it’s an absolute poverty problem, not a specific inflation problem.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 3, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hypnophant posted:

grocery stores get bigger by offering lower prices to their customers, not higher. groceries that overprice will very quickly price themselves right out of the market

until you realize there is no market to be priced out of because other grocery stores closed or got bought out or just never existed

once you get big enough that there's no effective competition, the game is over. like sure, you can't go full on pay us $100 for a loaf insane, but nobody is going to drive 10 miles further just to save a few bucks at a store that's missing most of the selection

i mean it doesn't really matter either way because the end result is that anybody who isn't making six figures is seeing what little wealth they have get eaten away by constant price hikes and stagnant wages and the idiots in charge are deciding that we need to reduce wages instead

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sharing this thing of beauty.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

once you get big enough that there's no effective competition, the game is over. like sure, you can't go full on pay us $100 for a loaf insane, but nobody is going to drive 10 miles further just to save a few bucks at a store that's missing most of the selection

fundamentally, this only happens because the bigger store is able to offer lower prices than two competing smaller stores could because of economies of scale. There isn’t any other advantage to being big; you keep out competitors by undercutting them on price. If you can raise your prices and still undercut any potential competitors, the price increases aren’t because of your profit margin; they’re because costs have gone up for everyone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hypnophant posted:

price increases aren’t because of your profit margin; they’re because costs have gone up for everyone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/errolschweizer/2022/09/12/how-profit-inflation-made-your-groceries-so-drat-expensive/?sh=70a3fbaf2eb9

And yet margins went up far more than wages.

quote:

Commodities:

Just 4 companies control 70% of the global grain trade and 4 companies control up to 85% of meat and poultry processing. Cargill belongs to both groups. 2021 was Cargill’s most profitable year ever, with almost $5 billion in net income and up to a 70 basis point increase in margins; meanwhile over 4700 Covid-19 infections and 25 employee deaths occurred at Cargill meat processing facilities the previous year. The other top grain traders, including Archers-Daniels-Midland, Bunge BG -0.1% and Dreyfus also saw record sales growth and profits due to rampant speculation in early 2022. Tyson’s net income soared 47% to over $3 billion while spending $700 million in shareholder buybacks, while 30,000 Covid-19 infections and 151 deaths occurred at their facilities. JBS passed 17% higher prices onto consumers, and even though volumes decreased, posted a 345% net income increase.
CPG:

After waves of price hikes, CPG conglomerates, such as Coca-Cola KO +0.1%, Hershey’s, PepsiCo PEP +0.3% and Mondelez, surpassed earnings estimates with revenues up between 7% and 16%. Coca-Cola attributed price changes to increased net operating revenues. Mondelez increased profits by $800 million, issued $4 billion in shareholder payouts in 2021, and raised prices again in 2022. Proctor and Gamble increased prices on all of its major segments, including Tide and Bounce, raking in $14.7 billion in net earnings and paying out over $19 billion to shareholders. General Mills increased prices 5 times in the past year; Q4 profits increased 97% to $823 million, with a 16% jump in FY 2022 profits and over $2 billion in shareholder handouts.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sharing this thing of beauty.

Lindell is currently screaming that Bolsonaro didn't lose and there were 5.1 million fraudulent votes.

I'm not sure if Lindell is nuttier or Elon is nuttier. It works!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/food-prices-and-spending/

and yet groceries (food at home) as a fraction of total income declined to barely 5% as of 2021; we’ll see what the number is for 2022 but it would take much higher inflation than we’ve seen for that to reach 6%. Total food budget as a fraction of total income has been steadily declining since the 60s. Grocery prices are less volatile than farm prices or energy prices. I don’t know what you think wages have to do with it, please elaborate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

If the store was profitable before the price rise, someone new can come in and open a new grocery store at the old prices and steal all the customers from megamart. If they can’t, the store probably wasn’t profitable and the area would be a food desert without the megastore, and that’s a problem but again it’s an absolute poverty problem, not a specific inflation problem.

Why of course, why didn't I think of that? Just open up a store with a massive logistical tail with all this capital I just have lying around, and purchase below rate from all of the *checks notes* ten suppliers who control that entire logistics chain!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Why of course, why didn't I think of that? Just open up a store with a massive logistical tail with all this capital I just have lying around, and purchase below rate from all of the *checks notes* ten suppliers who control that entire logistics chain!

Congratulations, you have identified the problem: consumers have come to expect groceries to cost x, but it’s extremely expensive to provide groceries at a cost of x, so only the biggest supermarket chains can afford to do it. If you want groceries to cost less than x, you have to pay extra to those chains or pay even more to start your own competing chain, which is sub-optimal

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
And you have sucinctly summarized why we are Systemically hosed and not Intrinsically being hosed. There is no shortage of food, or housing, or logistical transport, or medicine, the only shortage that exists is the maw of profits and expected growth on balance sheets. These things we want to buy are not rare and precious, there is no underlying production reason why wages are not keeping up with inflation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1/status/1588261640163954689

Trump Org is going to have a NY government official monitoring the business to keep them from their continued shady poo poo.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

There is no shortage of housing,

i disagree in the strongest possible terms, and in only slightly less strong terms when it comes to the other factors, and I would also include energy, both as a political factor and when taking into account future externalities of hydrocarbons

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1/status/1588261640163954689

Trump Org is going to have a NY government official monitoring the business to keep them from their continued shady poo poo.

Just how incorruptible is this official supposed to be.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hypnophant posted:

Congratulations, you have identified the problem: consumers have come to expect groceries to cost x, but it’s extremely expensive to provide groceries at a cost of x, so only the biggest supermarket chains can afford to do it. If you want groceries to cost less than x, you have to pay extra to those chains or pay even more to start your own competing chain, which is sub-optimal

one problem you might be overlooking is that nobody "wants" groceries to cost less than x, they need groceries to be affordable, same as housing, clothing, and utilities

unlike shiny new gadgets or other dumb bullshit, people need food to live

hypnophant posted:

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/food-prices-and-spending/

and yet groceries (food at home) as a fraction of total income declined to barely 5% as of 2021; we’ll see what the number is for 2022 but it would take much higher inflation than we’ve seen for that to reach 6%. Total food budget as a fraction of total income has been steadily declining since the 60s. Grocery prices are less volatile than farm prices or energy prices. I don’t know what you think wages have to do with it, please elaborate.

you also completely overlooked something in your "but it's only 5%" quote:

quote:

U.S. households with higher incomes spend more money on food, but the amount spent represents a smaller overall portion of their budgets. In 2021, households in the lowest income quintile spent an average of $4,875 on food (representing 30.6 percent of income), while households in the highest income quintile spent an average of $13,973 on food (representing 7.6 percent of income).

30 percent

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

i disagree in the strongest possible terms, and in only slightly less strong terms when it comes to the other factors, and I would also include energy, both as a political factor and when taking into account future externalities of hydrocarbons

The only metric by which you can argue there is a shortage of housing is that there is a shortage of housing in <15m proximity to dense employment locations. The suburb and exurb sprawls have made housing near gainful employment more difficult. But as far as available housing to American households? We have so much surplus you could squat in it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

hypnophant posted:

Unless theres no competition

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arrath posted:

Well, here are the job requirements:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1588262340608155648?t=k8YjO4SunNL3Wdt6jq5MsQ&s=19

Michael Cohen? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arrath posted:

Robert Mueller is back baby