Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just get the free month and watch Severance and maybe Ted Lasso.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ColdPie posted:

You know what I could really go for right now? Another subscription service. Another account to sign up for. Another account to manage and send me spam emails. Another streaming app with another lovely UI to learn and to scream ads at me and to hate. I can't get enough. gently caress yes. Roll me right down the hill and off the cliff and onto the jagged rocks below.

Well great news.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I shan't. I shall watch anime instead

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In Xbox related news, I played my first UHD Bluray last night (usually just stream stuff because it's way easier) and I dunno if it was placebo or not but holy poo poo it looked real nice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

American McGay posted:

In Xbox related news, I played my first UHD Bluray last night (usually just stream stuff because it's way easier) and I dunno if it was placebo or not but holy poo poo it looked real nice.
:sickos:

Which one did you watch first? I think the Donnie Darko UHD was the first one I watched after I got my Series X.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
So, finished Halo 5's campaign. I liked it a lot. Still don't know why it's so maligned. Granted, it continues Halo 4's hallway design and the ending kind of sucks, especially when I know how Infinite picks up. At this point, I don't expect a good ending out of a Halo game. Even Halo Wars 2 felt like they had to cut off the story before they wanted to. I don't know what else to say.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Apocalypse Now Final Cut

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

American McGay posted:

Nah UHD discs have noticeably better picture and sound than any streaming service. I forget this every time since I don’t play discs much but it’s always a nice little surprise :D

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

Apocalypse Now Final Cut

Hell yeah

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 4k remaster of Bladerunner blew my mind. Highly recommend.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Control is super average and I quit it early. Also gently caress them for putting it on gamepass but not the net gen update. Extremely lame move.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/the-xbox-store-will-soon-be-better-at-notifications-for-wish-list-sales-and-more

Users will be able to control how and if they receive Xbox Store notifications, including alerts when Wish List items go on sale.

Hell yeah finally.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
I’m going to sell my Xbox series X. Are these still supply constrained. How much should I put up for a Xbox series x, Astro a50s, and two controllers, and Star Wars Lego disk ??? How much will that fetch

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Blue Raider posted:

It’s very bad. The maps are completely trash, the unlock system is nothing but grind, and the TTK/TTD is hosed. Putting 20 rounds from an M4 into a guy just to have him one shot you is very common.

I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s the worst cod I’ve ever played, and I’ve played them all except Infinite Warfare and Vanguard. It’s the only Xbox game I’ve ever refunded.
I definitely see what you mean about the TTK although I'm just trying to take it as something to get used to. It feels like they nerfed the ability to snipe with basically any gun, and damage falloff is huge now. Back in Vanguard and especially Blops:CW it felt like every weapon was a sniper rifle if you had a good enough scope.

There are definitely some lovely maps though. One of them is like a compound with tons of windows and balconies and half the time you spawn on the other side of a wide open field and either have to trace the perimeter to get to a safer approach, or take your chances on getting sniped for free. None of them seem particularly memorable, especially the one that's just a shitload of cars and two hallways.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Control is super average and I quit it early. Also gently caress them for putting it on gamepass but not the net gen update. Extremely lame move.

I liked the game but I’d didn’t really want to deal with XP and daily quests.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Control lets you turn on RDR2-style snap aiming, which owns

also yes Severance is the best show on streaming but that isn't an xbox game. but what if it was....

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I didn't even remember the daily quests from Control. Like I guess I knew they existed but there was absolutely no need to engage with them

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

External Organs posted:

Eh, I've got a friend who is a huge spooky poo poo / buffy fan but she's not a big gamer. The atmosphere of control is 1000% her poo poo but she doesn't play games where she can die. So, it's perfect for her.

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Martman posted:

I didn't even remember the daily quests from Control. Like I guess I knew they existed but there was absolutely no need to engage with them

They provide nothing other than doing 5(?) of them gets you anchievement so I did the achievement mandatory 5 then never opened that menu again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

John F Bennett posted:

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/the-xbox-store-will-soon-be-better-at-notifications-for-wish-list-sales-and-more

Users will be able to control how and if they receive Xbox Store notifications, including alerts when Wish List items go on sale.

Hell yeah finally.

Huh, that explains why I have a bunch of stuff wishlisted and never get any prompts about it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghost Song seems pretty cool so far, but I always like the first few hours of metroidvanias. The sound and music are definitely really awesome though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Nah UHD discs have noticeably better picture and sound than any streaming service. I forget this every time since I don’t play discs much but it’s always a nice little surprise :D

UHD with a dolby vision TV is loving absurd for the picture quality.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

nom epique posted:

I’m going to sell my Xbox series X. Are these still supply constrained. How much should I put up for a Xbox series x, Astro a50s, and two controllers, and Star Wars Lego disk ??? How much will that fetch

They were in stock everywhere over the last couple of weeks.
I can’t believe mine is going to turn 2 in a few days.

Id throw out an offer of $300 for the Xbox itself.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I almost lost my poo poo at the guy who had fridge-watching duty, it was funny as hell.

Yeah it was those little tidbit/easter egg kinda things that really made the game for me.

One that made me chuckle was that they had a coffee thermos altered item behind protective glass. The accompanying document talked about how Alan Wake was seen collecting them around Bright Falls for an unknown reason (in the actual Alan Wake game you have to collect all 100 thermoses for an achievement) :v:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the mw2 border crossing map is the best map in call of duty history just because of how insanely mad it makes people lol

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Disposable Scud posted:

Apocalypse Now Final Cut

Oh gently caress yes

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Martman posted:

Ghost Song seems pretty cool so far, but I always like the first few hours of metroidvanias. The sound and music are definitely really awesome though.

yea, I know theres really good games in the metroidvania genre, but this one is some sort of entertaining chill game. Not a fan of this type of games, so I will not continue it, but got positivelly surprised

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

barnold posted:

the mw2 border crossing map is the best map in call of duty history just because of how insanely mad it makes people lol

I don’t get why it makes ppl mad, it’s pretty fun!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love metroidvanias and Ghost Song sucks and I won't be continuing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I hate metroidvanias, maybe I will like Ghost Song.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
We live in a truly blessed time for games. Plague Tale Requiem is one of the best games I've ever played. It's insane that it's available new, at no further cost than the subscription service.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
UHD Blurays are cool, but if you're into them to any degree it's worth it to get a dedicated player instead of using the XSX

Codependent Poster posted:

UHD with a dolby vision TV is loving absurd for the picture quality.

For example, the XSX doesn't support Dolby Vision with the Bluray app

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Pennsylvanian posted:

So, finished Halo 5's campaign. I liked it a lot. Still don't know why it's so maligned. Granted, it continues Halo 4's hallway design and the ending kind of sucks, especially when I know how Infinite picks up. At this point, I don't expect a good ending out of a Halo game. Even Halo Wars 2 felt like they had to cut off the story before they wanted to. I don't know what else to say.

Halo 5 lacked split screen, which soured people straight away. Mechanically however it is pretty solid, and the story is one of those cases where smaller plot beats are quite interesting but the overall narrative is a mess - see every Blizzard game since Warcraft 3. The corridor nature of it is a crime though, it feels crazy to go back and play Halo 1 and find more expansive feeling levels.

I still feel 343 were cowards for not picking up the story where it left off, even if 5 was badly received. A Promethean army controlled by Cortana as an extra faction in Infinite would have worked really well in the open world, and apparently they datamined Promethean models so this was at least on the cards at some point.

Multiplayer was plagued by one of the worst lootbox/P2W setups I've seen in a game, and I think it just came out at a time when people hadn't turned against this in favour of the battlepass model, which whilst not exactly great is certainly better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Playing Gears of War 4 and good lord does the First Minister just have no oversight or concept of due process? Just vague paranoid allegations of "It's you! YOU'RE KIDNAPPING PEOPLE!! :blastu:" at a random group of Outsiders just cause two are deserters.

Nevermind committing multiple military helicopters, at least two large transport planes (one lost to bad weather), and dozens, if not hundreds, of DB units to apprehend four suspects with no real evidence they've done anything. One of whom being a decorated war hero, who owns the house and ground she has assaulted in force.

It's so goddamn stupid, I can't help but enjoy it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think 343 might be the most disappointing developer in recent time, although I discovered from an InfernoPlus video they patched a bug for the MCC mod tools that affected literally only him which is cool. Of course, because 343 is insanely fail, I only learned about the MCC mod tools from this video that came out more than a year after the mod tools did.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Playing Gears of War 4 and good lord does the First Minister just have no oversight or concept of due process? Just vague paranoid allegations of "It's you! YOU'RE KIDNAPPING PEOPLE!! :blastu:" at a random group of Outsiders just cause two are deserters.

Nevermind committing multiple military helicopters, at least two large transport planes (one lost to bad weather), and dozens, if not hundreds, of DB units to apprehend four suspects with no real evidence they've done anything. One of whom being a decorated war hero, who owns the house and ground she has assaulted in force.

It's so goddamn stupid, I can't help but enjoy it.

The COG is a semi-competent but hugely fascist government, and the decorated war hero you are referring to was a serial dissenter and former war criminal before he was a hero.

Blaming The Other is kind of the key Fascist thing, and a consistent theme of the series.
Gears4 is fun, but 5 is better overall I think.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gears always had the dumbest loving stories.

I'll still pick up a Gears game and play every few years (tactics owns), but the story is always incredibly dumb. Put your mind in comic book movie mode and just enjoy the pretty graphics.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

priznat posted:

I don’t get why it makes ppl mad, it’s pretty fun!

oh I love the map. I have no issues with the cars exploding because I have functioning eyeballs and can simply avoid standing directly next to cars that are obviously on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gears always had the dumbest loving stories.

I'll still pick up a Gears game and play every few years (tactics owns), but the story is always incredibly dumb. Put your mind in comic book movie mode and just enjoy the pretty graphics.

Oh I absolutely am :allears:. Just amazed at the sheer escalation.