Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

The only metric by which you can argue there is a shortage of housing is that there is a shortage of housing in <15m proximity to dense employment locations. The suburb and exurb sprawls have made housing near gainful employment more difficult. But as far as available housing to American households? We have so much surplus you could squat in it.

who loving cares if it’s in dead factory towns or a two hour commute from a real job

Zamujasa posted:

one problem you might be overlooking is that nobody "wants" groceries to cost less than x, they need groceries to be affordable, same as housing, clothing, and utilities

unlike shiny new gadgets or other dumb bullshit, people need food to live

you also completely overlooked something in your "but it's only 5%" quote:

30 percent

this is not an inflation problem. this is an absolute poverty problem. if you can’t afford groceries, you don’t need price controls to keep your groceries at the same level of unaffordability. You need more income

price controls do not work. subsidies impoverish societies over the long run. ask loving haiti or venezuela how well subsidizing fuel prices worked out. ask new york how well rent control without building new housing stock has worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

hypnophant posted:

this is not an inflation problem. this is an absolute poverty problem. if you can’t afford groceries, you don’t need price controls to keep your groceries at the same level of unaffordability. You need more income

I think it's time for corporations to tighten their belts, not actual human beings. I too can cherry pick poo poo to prove a whatever point I want. You will not be elevated to a rich person by sucking off your corporate overlords.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Guys, it's only the 3rd.

Usually this thread waits until at least the 10th to implode. I was hoping we could at least wait until next week with the election.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

ASAPI posted:

Guys, it's only the 3rd.

Usually this thread waits until at least the 10th to implode. I was hoping we could at least wait until next week with the election.

If we blow it up before then there will be nothing left for the election to destroy.

We're burning the thread to save it.

Edit: first 30 seconds of this are relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY1P1N00BZ8

Steezo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 3, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

I think we're coming at the same point from different angles at least?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arrath posted:

Just how incorruptible is this official supposed to be.

The judge at the hearing today joked that he should appoint judge Dearie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arrath posted:

Just how incorruptible is this official supposed to be.

Paging a Mr. James Comey. James Comey please pick up the courtesy telephone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Steezo posted:

If we blow it up before then there will be nothing left for the election to destroy.

We're burning the thread to save it.

:911:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hypnophant posted:

who loving cares if it’s in dead factory towns or a two hour commute from a real job

price controls do not work. subsidies impoverish societies over the long run. ask loving haiti or venezuela how well subsidizing fuel prices worked out. ask new york how well rent control without building new housing stock has worked

It bears mentioning that increasing wages will necessarily increase prices. Groceries and restaurants in Switzerland and Norway are incredibly expensive, but then again they also pay their people a lot more and have a high quality of life.

In theory this shouldn't matter so long as people are getting paid fairly, but a friend of mine has doubled his income in the past 24 months and is still screaming about how 7% grocery inflation has eroded all of his gains. The way people feel about the economy has nothing to do with how it's actually performing.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Steezo posted:

I think it's time for corporations to tighten their belts, not actual human beings. I too can cherry pick poo poo to prove a whatever point I want. You will not be elevated to a rich person by sucking off your corporate overlords.

that’s nice but forcing corporations to “tighten their belts” will mean they close more stores in food deserts, hire fewer cashiers and cheat and abuse them more, squeeze their suppliers more for cheaper, shittier goods, consolidate more, and in three more years someone’ll still be posting some marxist nonsense about how the problem is the profit motive instead of an ever-increasing fraction of the population being cut off from the education, health care, and housing they need to participate in the modern economy

also if you think i’m a corporate shill go loving gently caress yourself. wealth tax now

psydude posted:

It bears mentioning that increasing wages will necessarily increase prices. Groceries and restaurants in Switzerland and Norway are incredibly expensive, but then again they also pay their people a lot more and have a high quality of life.

In theory this shouldn't matter so long as people are getting paid fairly, but a friend of mine has doubled his income in the past 24 months and is still screaming about how 7% grocery inflation has eroded all of his gains. The way people feel about the economy has nothing to do with how it's actually performing.

I acknowledge this but it doesn’t loving help when alleged leftists are in here parroting conservative propaganda about joe loving biden impoverishing you by not fixing inflation

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 3, 2022

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

hypnophant posted:

also if you think i’m a corporate shill go loving gently caress yourself. wealth tax now

If it walks like a duck, if it does whataboutism about everything except price gouging like a duck...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hypnophant posted:

I acknowledge this but it doesn’t loving help when alleged leftists are in here parroting conservative propaganda about joe loving biden impoverishing you by not fixing inflation

Oh, I completely agree with you. I'm just making the point that paying people a fair wage will increase costs in most sectors regardless of profit margins. For some reason Americans don't think this is the case, but the reality is that the current cost structure in the US is built upon the exploitation of cheap labor. Uber rides, door dash deliveries, and non-seasonal produce were affordable in the past for a reason.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 3, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Steezo posted:

If it walks like a duck, if it does whataboutism about everything except price gouging like a duck...

failing to subscribe to your utter denial of economic reality is not duck-like

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

hypnophant posted:

failing to subscribe to your utter denial of economic reality is not duck-like

My dude price gouging is driving inflation here, not paying poor people more.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

hypnophant posted:

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/food-prices-and-spending/

and yet groceries (food at home) as a fraction of total income declined to barely 5% as of 2021; we’ll see what the number is for 2022 but it would take much higher inflation than we’ve seen for that to reach 6%. Total food budget as a fraction of total income has been steadily declining since the 60s. Grocery prices are less volatile than farm prices or energy prices. I don’t know what you think wages have to do with it, please elaborate.

This is very fancy theory, but complete horseshit in reality. My income hasn't significantly increased in the last year, but I'm paying a lot more for my groceries than I used to. It isn't a massive shift in absolute terms because I'm poverty personified, but I'm paying €10-15 a month more than I used to, and that's a ~15% increase.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hypnophant posted:

that’s nice but forcing corporations to “tighten their belts” will mean they close more stores in food deserts, hire fewer cashiers and cheat and abuse them more, squeeze their suppliers more for cheaper, shittier goods, consolidate more, and in three more years someone’ll still be posting some marxist nonsense about how the problem is the profit motive

i mean, loving lmao if you think corporations need an excuse for any of that, but also: it is? like no loving poo poo, bozo, the rush to slash prices and pump profits is a serious reason why everything is unaffordable now, that doesn't make it "nonsense"

psydude posted:

and yet somehow washington's $14-15 hourly wage has not caused prices in washing to skyrocket in comparison to neighboring locales with far lower minimum wages despite years of screeching by restaurants and stores, how weird

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: Because that still isn't a livable wage in those areas. You can't live in DC on $15/hr.

Steezo posted:

How do you account for the global increase in inflation, even in countries where price gouging isn't an issue? Wouldn't that indicate the issue is more related to supply chain challenges and fuel costs, as has been suggested by most economists?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
If theres inflation, there shouldnt be record corporate profits.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

My Spirit Otter posted:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

psydude posted:

e^: Because that still isn't a livable wage in those areas. You can't live in DC on $15/hr.

How do you account for the global increase in inflation, even in countries where price gouging isn't an issue? Wouldn't that indicate the issue is more related to supply chain challenges and fuel costs, as has been suggested by most economists?

My Spirit Otter posted:

^ Its this.

Also I recommend, in light of having to burn this thread to save it, we should be moving some posters to a strategic posting hamlet for their own safety.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hypnophant posted:

in three more years someone’ll still be posting some marxist nonsense about how the problem is the profit motive instead of an ever-increasing fraction of the population being cut off from the education, health care, and housing they need to participate in the modern economy

Does the former not drive the latter?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

I think we're coming at the same point from different angles at least?

Its more about pointing out that the basic premises of economics are well understood and trying to pretend they aren't real isn't a starting point (not addressed at you). The Feds response is textbook, in the face of textbook inflation, and its really the only thing they can do. Everything else requires a legislature that can legislate.

My Spirit Otter posted:

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of economics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Spirit Otter posted:

lightpole posted:

We live in a capitalist hell-system, who cares.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Steezo posted:

You are deluded if you think grocery stores have the pricing power to gouge a piece of toast with cold butter. They are grocery stores. They own nothing but some big-box real estate. They control no ip, no human capital, they can barely lobby a town council. They are completely interchangeable in the grand scheme of the national interest. They are a commodity. You could open a grocery chain tomorrow, if you only had the capital. The second some glass-eyed PE vampire thinks he can make ten points of yield by undercutting an incumbent they will go the way of barnes and noble.

Grocery stores are not robber barons, and the problem is not the mighty power of grocery stores to crush poor working stiffs under their boot. The problem is that some people’s position in society is so fragile that they can be crushed by a ten percent rise in the price of milk and canned tuna. We can’t fix these people’s lives by making sure than tuna only goes up 8%.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

lightpole posted:

Its more about pointing out that the basic premises of economics are well understood and trying to pretend they aren't real isn't a starting point (not addressed at you). The Feds response is textbook, in the face of textbook inflation, and its really the only thing they can do. Everything else requires a legislature that can legislate.

Profit doesnt mean cash intake, moran

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

inflation guarantees profits will be record because they are reported in nominal dollars.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

hypnophant posted:

inflation guarantees profits will be record because they are reported in nominal dollars.

To get profit, you have to subtract all of those dollars you spent from all of those dollars you earned, the dollars you spent are also inflated.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
And you are deluded in thinking that grocery stores are interchangeable and compete primarily on price, because they aren't and they don't. Albert Heijn, the chain that everyone knows is the expensive store, has by far the biggest market share here.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

If i had said record income, i'd get it, but goddamn, folks.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hypnophant posted:

You are deluded if you think grocery stores have the pricing power to gouge a piece of toast with cold butter. They are grocery stores. They own nothing but some big-box real estate. They control no ip, no human capital, they can barely lobby a town council. They are completely interchangeable in the grand scheme of the national interest. They are a commodity. You could open a grocery chain tomorrow, if you only had the capital. The second some glass-eyed PE vampire thinks he can make ten points of yield by undercutting an incumbent they will go the way of barnes and noble.

Grocery stores are not robber barons, and the problem is not the mighty power of grocery stores to crush poor working stiffs under their boot. The problem is that some people’s position in society is so fragile that they can be crushed by a ten percent rise in the price of milk and canned tuna. We can’t fix these people’s lives by making sure than tuna only goes up 8%.

i don't know what grocery stores you're talking about that "don't have the pricing power". maybe one of the largest corporations in the world? or maybe idk this one that's about to buy this one that already owns a laundry list of other grocers

it's okay though, price fixing isn't real, it's just supply/demand :rolleyes:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

hypnophant posted:

And when the procentual increase in profits is greater than inflation for every company in the industry it's what exactly?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

i don't know what grocery stores you're talking about that "don't have the pricing power". maybe one of the largest corporations in the world? or maybe idk this one that's about to buy this one that already owns a laundry list of other grocers

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/loblaw-parent-company-alerted-competition-watchdog-to-bread-price-fixing/article37387816/

At least use a grocery store price fixing example, to really nail the point home

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a GiP Economics Debate Thread

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Not to interrupt here, but a lot of economics talk is like law talk. Sure, there's a lot of debate about theories and general ground rules about it that make complete sense. But then someone with power comes in and goes LAW IS FAKE LOL and it really doesn't matter if 2+2=4 anymore, because it now equals cats because some rich white dude says that 2+2=cats.

So have a hot dog in honor of National Sandwich Day.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1588255199742730240?t=bPBlQeN8rP0pYpmh3_hj8w&s=19

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

That Works posted:

Does the former not drive the latter?

no. corporations are profitable when they have access to a labor pool of educated, healthy workers in secure housing and with reliable access to transportation. They also need good infrastructure to connect them to their suppliers and customers, and good governance to reduce systemic uncertainty; from natural disasters, from political instability, and from crime. This is why the most profitable companies are found in the most developed cities; because that is where the the deepest and most productive labor pools, the best infrastructure, the least volatile governments are all located. None of this improves when schools get worse or people’s health care gets cut off or the housing stock crumbles from lack of occupancy.

Individual companies or their owners will not necessarily perceive or lobby for their interests this way, though I am optimistic and believe the best ones will. But a lot of business owners, especially small business owners in lovely small towns, would rather be the big fish in a small, cramped, decaying rust belt or deep south pond.

My Spirit Otter posted:

To get profit, you have to subtract all of those dollars you spent from all of those dollars you earned, the dollars you spent are also inflated.

yeah and because revenue is larger than cost, the absolute change in revenue is bigger than the absolute change in cost, when the relative change is zero. that’s how percentages work

Zamujasa posted:

i am conspicuously talking about groceries not landlords. landlords do have pricing power, are scum, and should be taxed within an inch of their life.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hypnophant posted:

i am conspicuously talking about groceries not landlords. landlords do have pricing power, are scum, and should be taxed within an inch of their life.

phew, good thing this was already covered

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

So have a hot dog in honor of National Sandwich Day.

Careful, you're just gonna shift the derail from inflation to "is a hot dog a sandwich?"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hotdog Is A Sandwich is my fantasy football team name

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
All I know is the Popeyes turkey is $95 this year up from $40 last year. gently caress you Popeyes, I still want my tendies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a hotdog being a sandwich or not does not change the fact that hot dogs are delicious :hmmyes: