Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

lol "too drat slow for a zip drive". you want slow, the first zip drives had a parallel port connector. ide versions were available shortly thereafter

nope, the first Zip drives had a SCSI connector, and then Iomega released the PC parallel port version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

pretty sure the original was scsi -- the parallel port version was literally the same device with a built in parallel port to scsi adapter. the parallel port based devices were for suckers who were willing to shell out for a zip drive then skimp out on buying a scsi card.

by 02, 16-32mb flash drives were everywhere. I remember being amazed at how quickly they took over my freshman (only) year of college

yeah this, the parallel port version was a corruption of the scsi original

i used them all the time at home as a kid. we only had internet to the office computer; no cat5e in the walls yet. we started out with a couple of the scsi drives, then eventually when my dad upgraded to a modern machine he got a firewire zip750 so we could still shuttle files to our own older machines without constantly burning cds. i had an ide zip drive in my g3 as well, though i think that machine was online for all or most of my time with it, so it wasn't used as much as the scsi one on my performa

plus they were often used in school before thumb drives were commonplace, as mentioned upthread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

nope, the first Zip drives had a SCSI connector, and then Iomega released the PC parallel port version

aaaaand iirc the parallel port one was a scsi drive with a lpt to scsi board jammed into it

hosed up, man

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
closest i got to zip disks was the SuperDisk drive in our family's gateway which got used approximately as much as the magnetic tape backup system in the previously owned acer

aka none lmao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

aaaaand iirc the parallel port one was a scsi drive with a lpt to scsi board jammed into it

hosed up, man

lmao that is delightfully accursèd

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think still have a folder called furnace on an old drive thats a couple folders filled up to about 650 megs of stuff that i never got around to burning before i stopped doing that. custom icons & everything

MacWarez vol. 24 :evilbuddy:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
my high school had a t1 line and Zip drives in all the systems so I would get to class early, launch Napster off the disk with download target as the disk and turn the monitor off for class time. i had a laptop from the pawn shop and the screws on the parallel port eventually broke so I had to carefully hold it in place while transferring files

cyberpunk 1999

edit: one of the computer teachers would download ps1 games off irc and sell burned copies and those plug in mod chips to students. when he left the school he taught us his secrets and that’s how I got into ps1 piracy

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Fart Sandwiches posted:

my high school had a t1 line and Zip drives in all the systems so I would get to class early, launch Napster off the disk with download target as the disk and turn the monitor off for class time. i had a laptop from the pawn shop and the screws on the parallel port eventually broke so I had to carefully hold it in place while transferring files

cyberpunk 1999

edit: one of the computer teachers would download ps1 games off irc and sell burned copies and those plug in mod chips to students. when he left the school he taught us his secrets and that’s how I got into ps1 piracy

owns

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my opinion is Zip disks are fine, served a very important purpose for the time, and are remembered as being worse than they really were

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my opinion is Zip disks are fine, served a very important purpose for the time, and are remembered as being worse than they really were

still not sure how people consider them to be bad. they were reasonably priced and fast in an era where the alternative was still small, slow floppy disks or burning cds. i've heard of the click of death, but never experienced it despite having zip disks living in my backpack for years

speaking of the early days of flash drives, there was a lag between them appearing and computers having usb ports on the front panels. i worked as a library lab monitor in university and the systems at the time were handed down from some other department and in those huge inwin q500 cases that sat under the tables. when someone came in with an early flash drive on their keychain, they had to crawl on the floor under the table to plug them into the back usb ports. there were a couple of instances on my watch where someone left without grabbing it and came back "uh, i left my keys in a computer"

e: thinking back, there were also a non-zero number of times where someone approached the desk in a panic while waving around a floppy disk with the little metal shield missing because it was apparently the only copy of their phd thesis and trying to read it resulted in an error

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 3, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

closest i got to zip disks was the SuperDisk drive in our family's gateway which got used approximately as much as the magnetic tape backup system in the previously owned acer

aka none lmao

i always wanted a superdisk. they seemed so exotic or something

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i was really pumped when i found out they made zip disks that were even bigger than 100mb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
amiga could only use double density not high density floppies and imo this was the real reason they failed because you couldn’t swap disks with pc people

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

amiga could only use double density not high density floppies and imo this was the real reason they failed because you couldn’t swap disks with pc people

i had a pc that only supported double density floppies.l

rip tandy 1000 hx, you were a weird little beast

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i found a 16 MB cf card in my drawer just now and it hit me that i paid like $150 for it new

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I have a few SGI systems with Floptical drives

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i found a 16 MB cf card in my drawer just now and it hit me that i paid like $150 for it new

when me and ex wife went on 5 month overseas holiday when we were in our 20s I had a 2gb memory card and took no backups or anything and stored 5 months of photos on the one card lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

I have a few SGI systems with Floptical drives

please post.

love old non-intel stuff

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

funy tech: my 6tb cold store in my pc is almost full, Maybe I can buy a big external drive and shuck it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/18TB-Elements-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B09TYZCN61/

The 20tb enclosure here is cheaper than the 18tb :eyepop:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

when me and ex wife went on 5 month overseas holiday when we were in our 20s I had a 2gb memory card and took no backups or anything and stored 5 months of photos on the one card lol

there were about 20 slightly interesting pictures from 2002 on it. looks like i last used it to take pictures of another camera lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

funny tech poo poo IRL: Active Desktop lol

https://twitter.com/Randwiches/status/1588275901049229313

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i always wanted a superdisk. they seemed so exotic or something

we did have one that was used once a year to back up tax stuff i think? but that was it, no other disks but that one

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ytmnd

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

there are some relatively new bangers on there

https://stoptherona.ytmnd.com/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

how the h*ck is blogger still online

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ananova the virtual newsreader lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

how the h*ck is blogger still online

im guessing that a not-insignificant number of googlers actually use it to blog about poo poo. either that or it's still a valuable source for harvesting data and/or displaying ads.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

hahahahahah Active Desktop... did anyone actually use that?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

active desktop is funny both for how bad and useless it was, and how accurately it nonetheless predicted exactly where things were going

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz posted:

e: thinking back, there were also a non-zero number of times where someone approached the desk in a panic while waving around a floppy disk with the little metal shield missing because it was apparently the only copy of their phd thesis and trying to read it resulted in an error

Better was when they did it at 2AM while I worked the graveyard shift in the 24hr lab. I'm sorry fella, your important document is hosed, we've been telling you to get USB thumb drives for a reason, but regardless nothing is open now so you're kind of SOL.

The lab also eventually started using some software that would reimage the machines on boot (login? it was very long ago, XP era). No, sorry, if it's not in My Documents it's not synced, no there is no way for me to recover it.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ananova the virtual newsreader lol

Weirdly reminds me of The Naked News, another news innovation from the dot com boom and bust

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trilljester posted:

hahahahahah Active Desktop... did anyone actually use that?

we used it for hosting application menus in html on terminal server farms. it worked great

burning swine
May 26, 2004

My family's old Pentium Pro machine came with an internal IDE zip drive in 1996. I also never had a problem with mine, never heard the click of death, and used the same 3 zip disks for like 8 or 9 years until they were well and truly obsolete.

The IDE version on a fast pc was able to write 100MB to an empty disk in about ~60-90 seconds, which I thought was pretty good. It could fill a 100mb disk faster than you could write 1.44mb to an actual floppy. The first time I encountered an external parallel port zip drive I found it shockingly slow

burning swine
May 26, 2004

tax: MyIE2, the first tabbed browser, which was released as an extension of internet explorer 4

heady, stupid days

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
twitter

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

hosed up, man

the USB versions of the LS-120 superdisk drives were IDE drives with a pcb attached that changed the connector to some dsub connector

and the IDE to USB stuff was in the cable itself

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beeftweeter posted:

i like it when they light up because the ball hits something. it makes a noise. lol

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

at work our default is first initial last name. i felt so bad when margot adcock joined and got stuck with madcock@work.com

I have told this before but at Samsung a coworker with firstname starts with “A” last name “Contractor” got denied in his fab entrance security request filled out “A. Contractor” saying “sorry no contractors in the fab”