Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There are too many 2022 movies I don't have access to yet to pick a favorite this year, but at the top of my list the ones I really loved so far are Barbarian, Nope, Resurrection, Hatching, and Watcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched The Cave (the other cave monster film from 2005) last night because I was so tired and couldn't be arsed engaging my brain with anything and... it's not the absolute worst. In fact, I really dug that it was actually about vampires (as soon as we learned it was in the Carpathian mountains ye could have guessed...) and the monster designs were pretty cool. Story beats weren't quite as obvious as I expected and there so much homage to Aliens (pretty sure the "town meeting" scene was shot for shot copied at one point) and Predator (music stings).

I watched Guardians of the Tomb beforehand, and that was so low-level dross it made The Cave seem better by comparison, perhaps. I just wanted to see Kelsey Grammar suffer when I chose that one - and suffer he did.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There are too many 2022 movies I don't have access to yet to pick a favorite this year, but at the top of my list the ones I really loved so far are Barbarian, Nope, Resurrection, Hatching, and Watcher.

More people should watch Hatching. I think it flew under this thread’s radar for the most part

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

dorium posted:

Beyond just the movie of the year, what about...Best Fall

If there's a better one for this this year than Sissy I would sure like to know

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hi it's me again to remind you that what makes something a horror movie isn't whether you personally find it scary. If it's deeply rooted in the horror aesthetic or uses horror tropes it's a horror movie. Munsters is a horror-comedy.

The OG Evil Dead isn't scary, at all, but it's still a horror movie.

I agree except that OG Evil Dead is genuinely very scary.

and I say this as someone who has probably watched it a couple dozen times.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pospysyl posted:

Instead of gatekeeping what is or isn't horror we should gatekeep whether a movie's true release date is its festival premiere, limited theatrical release, or streaming premiere.

I think it’s theatrical or streaming. Since festivals sometimes may only show something once and it ends up in distribution hell forever or never finds a way out of it.

Basically anything but festivals

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

I never said Nope wasnt a horror movie? I havent even seen it. I said "Munsters would be my fav of the year but to me its not horror" then someone said "yes it is".

Nah you're right I entirely misread this:

Kvlt! posted:

nope its a comedy with goofy horror themed costumes and setting, at no point does it try to scare or horrify you. Literally just a comedy movie with a haunted house aesthetic.

because I'm an idiot and okay maybe Jordan Peele shouldn't name a movie a regularly used word ok

Anyway I am sincerely glad you liked The Munsters.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

High Warlord Zog posted:

One Eyed

One Horned

Flying Purple People Eater

From Nope just tops it for me.

That was also a great one.

This has been a good year for horror.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

That was also a great one.

This has been a good year for horror.

I still contend that after 'I Got 5 On It' a friend made a bet with him about the most ridiculous song he could 'horror' up.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I prefer the original hellraiser because the most uncomfortable part of the entire franchise is thinking about how much it would suck to get cucked by one's brother. I think I'd prefer the hooks and the pins and the stretching.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched Sixteen Tongues today, a SoV cyberpunk body horror flick that is eird as hell

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Original Hellraiser is so cool because it’s basically a sexy haunted house movie

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Barbarian as #1, followed by Nope and You Won't Be Alone. I need to catch up on a lot of this year's releases, but I also need a movie break.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

graventy posted:

Nah you're right I entirely misread this:

because I'm an idiot and okay maybe Jordan Peele shouldn't name a movie a regularly used word ok

Anyway I am sincerely glad you liked The Munsters.

All good! looking at it I can def see how someone would think I was talking about Nope. I think I might throw it on tonight I gotta see it still and I like JP

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

MacheteZombie posted:

Mad God is 2021 tho right?

At film festivals, sure, but those don’t count

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think film festivals horror gate kept my short so I’m mad at horror genre gatekeeping lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

I think film festivals horror gate kept my short so I’m mad at horror genre gatekeeping lol

Same.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress gatekeeping bro, we make horror

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

To be clear, with the exception of that one post where the guy said heckerino, I never say "XYZ cant be talked about itt". All I say is "XYZ isnt a horror movie". BE NOT AFRAID FOLKS. Movies can be other genres. Its ok!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At film festivals, sure, but those don’t count

Well Mad God for number 1 then

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

Original Hellraiser is so cool because it’s basically a sexy haunted house movie

And just enough Cenobites you wish there was more but if there was it would probably ruin it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

all film festivals are v cool and good actually every film festival is a horror festival

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

genre is deliberately sort of fuzzy I think because it exists to 1) make it easier to describe or recommend stuff and 2), 3), 4), (and so on indefinitely), for marketing purposes

I suspect people in this thread generally know if something is relevant to talk about in this thread, and even if it’s not actually a horror movie Bob Zombie Munstys is definitely cool to talk about in here, right? the rest is quibbling, which we’re also all allowed to do as long as we’re having fun

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched Sixteen Tongues today, a SoV cyberpunk body horror flick that is eird as hell
I'm waiting anxiously for my most recent VinSyn order to come in, because that's in it. The next Saturn's Core release, The Good Book, is another SoV cyberpunk something-or-other too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thats my entire loving point. We can talk about movies itt without saying theyre horror movies. I dont care if someone mentions non-horror movies itt, but lets not pretend all movies are horror movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

all film festivals are v cool and good actually every film festival is a horror festival

The problem is they cost a lot of money to submit and if you don’t get in it’s a huge waste.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The problem is they cost a lot of money to submit and if you don’t get in it’s a huge waste.

no actually theyre all cool and good and all horror festivals

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do like going to festivals when I can. It can be interesting or really awful. But makes for good discussions!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Any festival can be a horror festival if you go into it with the right attitude.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive always wanted to go to one but idk of any near me. I did go to a horror convention once and got to meet Fred Vogel and his wife it was a lot of fun

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The Munsters is obviously a horror movie, it has Frankenstein and Nosferatu, and it’s directed by a Zombie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No its a comedy movie in a Halloween costume.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

That's because Rob Zombie is a comedian in a Halloween costume.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It’s at least as much of a horror movie as Addams Family Values, which is one of the best horror movies of the ‘90s.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

This Is the Zodiac posted:

That's because Rob Zombie is a comedian in a Halloween costume.

rob zombie isn't a comedian, he's a joke!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

There should be stand-up horror shows, where people tell scary stories to a live audience.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
what comes up more often in this thread, the “what is/isn’t horror” debate or Friday the 13th rankings?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
they're all good movies, gey muckle mowser

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got into horror movies because I was looking for whore movies and the guy at Blockbuster didn't hear me properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
My actual favorite horror movie of the year is Men, but I don’t like getting into arguments, so I just say it’s Barbarian, which is my second favorite