Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Main Paineframe posted:

Why should it be illegal?

It's often a bad idea that ends poorly for the company being bought out, but corporate buyouts that lead to the buyer driving their acquisition right into the ground are pretty common even without leveraged buyouts.

What value does a LBO add to the economy? It makes a tiny group of people rich at the expense of a large amount of workers.

Sure, you can drive a company into the ground without saddling that company with your debt from buying itself, but LBO's are essentially designed to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Not in any way an economist, but isn't it in a way similar to a home loan?

You put down a bit of the money to buy a house, and the majority of the debt is held against that property.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess you can't start smashing the poo poo out of your home to reduce your costs, so you're encouraged to look after it and improve it where it needs it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Senor Tron posted:

You put down a bit of the money to buy a house, and the majority of the debt is held against that property.

You forgot the part where you sell the rooftiles, floorboards and bricks then walk away with the profit while the bank deals with the now worthless property :cool:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

Yea except most people aren't buying a house, selling it off piecemeal, and then claiming the house is bankrupt while the buyer got rich and isn't responsible for paying the loan back.

Edit: f.b.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Senor Tron posted:

if it's with respect to twitter, this is probably more or less the subprime mortage disaster version where banks were giving mortages to people with no chance of realistically paying it back

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Senor Tron posted:

As a homeowner who's leveraged their way into ownership, you end up with a house at the end of your debt repayment, and you have a vested interest in it's upkeep.

Even flippers generally improve the value of the asset which they've bought with other's money, and then rely on arbitrage to extract a profit.

Both of those scenarios mean the buyer is on the hook for the debt if they can't make the purchase work.

But LBO firms generally do so with the express interest of destroying the asset they purchase, and the asset they are destroying is the also responsible for the debt incurred in purchasing itself.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If the LBO destroys the value of your newly bought asset, it’s you who loses money. And if interest rates go up, you’re the one paying the swollen sums. LBOs make deals happen, but they don’t make deals good.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vegetable posted:

If the LBO destroys the value of your newly bought asset, it’s you who loses money. And if interest rates go up, you’re the one paying the swollen sums. LBOs make deals happen, but they don’t make deals good.

In general, if I buy a house, I don't get to declare the house bankrupt after I sold off the roof, copper, and appliances for my own profit.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jaxyon posted:

In general, if I buy a house, I don't get to declare the house bankrupt after I sold off the roof, copper, and appliances for my own profit.
I knew a guy who did that, actually, when he got foreclosed in '08. The bank got mad but nothing came of it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

cat botherer posted:

I knew a guy who did that, actually, when he got foreclosed in '08. The bank got mad but nothing came of it.

I guess you could maybe purchase the house through a shell corp created for that purpose?

I mean people do that but it's not common.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jaxyon posted:

I guess you could maybe purchase the house through a shell corp created for that purpose?

I mean people do that but it's not common.
Probably. I doubt they'd go after you for anything criminal for that kind of small potatoes stuff, and the shell corp would probably make it more trouble than its worth to sue.

This guy seriously ripped out the showers, power outlets, all the appliances, the interior doors. That place was hosed. A true hero.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vegetable posted:

this is false

the basic economics of an LBO are the unsecured creditors are the ones who get hosed - i.e. employees, trade creditors, and other pre-petition debt or debt of people who don't have high-priced lawyers writing their contracts

the new secured lenders do fine, the new equity doesn't lose money because they put little money up and they extracted that much early on, but when the company goes bust those unsecured creditors get peanuts while the people who supplied the LBO financing get the company

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

cat botherer posted:

Probably. I doubt they'd go after you for anything criminal for that kind of small potatoes stuff, and the shell corp would probably make it more trouble than its worth to sue.

This guy seriously ripped out the showers, power outlets, all the appliances, the interior doors. That place was hosed. A true hero.

https://youtu.be/eHANLC9JtWI

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Lol https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk-orders-twitter-cut-infrastructure-costs-by-1-bln-sources-2022-11-03/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Save on cloud costs by making dev and prod the same infrastructure. So simple.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

"What is this whale, and why is it on the front page?! Have we been hacked?!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

So the real answer is pretty obvious, but what's the economist fantasy explanation for why this is a good and legal thing?

If it was a bad thing then the free market would not allow it to be profitable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The free market is a boogieman, it has no real power except what we give to it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From the Reuters article:

quote:

The company is aiming to find between $1.5 million and $3 million a day in savings from servers and cloud services, said the Slack message, which referred to the project as "Deep Cuts Plan."

Twitter is currently losing about $3 million a day "with all spending and revenue considered," according to an internal document reviewed by Reuters.

I know! What's the one piece of discretionary spending we can absoluely cut!!!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does Elon even take a salary at Twitter?

I mean he certainly could but it would be better for staff morale if he didn't.

Also he should hire back their advertising liaison.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 4, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Isn't that 3 million a day just the debt interest payments that Musk just loaded onto Twitter? :lol:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems weird to be talking in the same breath about rebooting Vine and slashing infrastructure expenditure. Video streaming, I assume, costs a metric fuckton of money to maintain.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kwyndig posted:

Imagine you're that liaison, and you have two choices. On the one hand, you can sit back, eating popcorn and enjoying a significant amount of schadenfreude - like us, but far moreso. On the other hand, you can be the one person in charge of persuading important business partners that gestures vaguely at everything is just an exciting time of change for the company and nothing to be concerned about, while also being the one person who will be blamed when it all goes wrong.

Is there any amount of money that would persuade you to take the second choice?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

since twitter runs at a loss he would just be taking money out of his right pocket to put in his left pocket except paying the government taxes to do it

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/thisisme0311/status/1588328409091883015

quote:

To help ensure the safety of each employee as well as Twitter systems and customer data, our offices will be temporarily closed and all badge access will be suspended. If you are in an office or on your way to an office, please return home.

:suspense:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm just amazed he's jumping on NPR and PBS' turf with the "for one cup of coffee" thing.

except npr gives you a tax credit or whatever and is passive media you can just turn on and half listen on the background, scrolling/doomscolling(lol gently caress anyone that un ironically say this, theyre the most do nothing slackvist people) and other bunch of social media blight is semi active and still requires you to pay attention and move your thumb/mouse wheel(unless its youtube's autoplay to regressive q poo poo hellhole)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

It's going to their personal email... because they're going to immediately get frozen out. With no opportunity or incentive to pass on any individual knowledge.

The living will envy the dead.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Morrow posted:

It's going to their personal email... because they're going to immediately get frozen out. With no opportunity or incentive to pass on any individual knowledge.

If Musk wasn't smart enough to lock down access to most of the important code/server stuff soon after sending this email, guess lot of people gonna have a busy night.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Morrow posted:

Isn't that standard practice for layoffs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't think even the most brazen corporate raider would go this far is burning s company

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Ayup. They turn it off before you get the talk so you don't get to email any parting shots.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BabyFur Denny posted:

I've been through two layoffs that weren't at the end of a limited-term contract, and even the same day one let me close down some projects, say my farewells, make sure I have access to all the benefits from my personal email, etc. It was not through email, they made sure to have a video conversation with me (I'm not sure if they'd meet me in person if I were at the office, I was remote, like most of the workforce lol).

Edit: :lmao:

https://twitter.com/jenplusplus/status/1588047960004255745

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 4, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Looks like Twitter might be messing around with AOC’s account. Her account got wiped and she can’t do mentions, apparently.

https://www.thewrap.com/aoc-asks-el...res-skin-video/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Say what you want about AOC she's definitely earned the status as a Poster.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
this is the kind of hands-on management I expect when Elon takes over a company

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I've said it before, I can't believe anyone thought it would be a bad thing if Musk bought twitter.

This is amazing. :suspense:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like I made Rusty Venture comparisons but I think this is worse, including getting hospitalised from having tons of broken glass in you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nah, this is like watching somebody you really don't like being hospitalized with a bunch of broken glass in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

And here come the lawsuits.