Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mal-3 posted:

He's kinda boxed himself in at this point. He can't say "yeah you can use the n-word now" because then the advertisers will all start to pull out publicly. But at the same time he can't say "no, you still can't use the n-word" because that'd make all the people who currently shower him with love turn on him.
its really very funny because like. he owns the platform at this point. the advertisers already hate him. he already has billions in government grants. he can literally say anything he wants and nobody can stop or punish him in any meaningful way. but he cant actually articulate anything meaningful so he just does random shitposts and spouts vague rightwing bleating about free speech. like gently caress it, restore donald trump's account. post your dick. take a dump on the us flag. who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Yeah, entirely my own fault for never going past the embedded tweets on this site anymore.

But I do hope someone breaks Twitter on the way out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just email her that image

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Elon is the Liz Truss of Chief Execs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pookah posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I know very little on the subject but I'd like to learn. Is writing it in the way you've just described kind of like writing in a personal shorthand that no-one else can easily interpret?

Yeah in part. Some terms in programming can be very technical and sometimes people get so far up their own asses that they forget that not everyone is as familiar with inside lingo as they are. Let's say that someone is writing a method that fetches all small cell type mobile network elements. They could be tempted to name it something like FetchAllSCTMNEs(). Maybe people who know what small cell type mobile network elements are can immediately parse that acronym, but most people won't, and it's not very readable. You see this poo poo all the time.

But beyond that, in most modern programming languages you can chain together method calls. So let's say that someone is writing a program that takes in the currently logged in user's internal identification number, fetches that corresponding user's preferences and then applies their preferences.

You could be sane and write it normally (this is just pseudo code):

code:
var loggedInUserID := browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")
var userPreferences := storage.GetUserData(loggedInUserID)
var websiteVisualPreferences := userPreferences.visualPrefs
WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(websiteVisualPreferences)
But that takes like FOUR LINES! It's something a loving NEWBIE could write! You can embed method calls within method calls and be a cool HACKERMAN

code:
WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)
See now it's all in one line and it's so COOL AND ELEGANT! Except when someone has to parse what the gently caress is going on they're going to curse you and your unborn children to hell.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

1. Elon wants everyone to like him.
2. Elon understands why some people like him, but crucially does not understand why other people dislike him.
3. Elon doubles down on the things that make some people like him, doesn't realize that these same things are disliked by others.

Probably more nuanced than that, someone help me workshop this.
Thesis, antithesis, synthesis. it's kind of like a multiple car-crash pile on as various (and much larger) contradictions accelerate and interpenetrate at the same time with the particular contradictions of Elon Musk's personality emerging in the last instance so he becomes the Great Doink of History. I should write a paper about it.

But fundamentally it's just economics, right? That's at the base of it. A generation of social media companies are dying along with Facebook and the shareholders were looking to cash out and leave another sucker holding the bag. So there's a contradiction between these now-legacy social media companies and new companies (TikTok, Twitch, Discord, etc.), and there are Twitter clones now which are more politically "compatible" for different audiences (TruthSocial, Mastodon), which are leaner and more efficient, so people who just want to follow Trump have no real reason to be on Twitter anymore, and trying to win them back means alienating a different section of the userbase who will leave. And he can't substitute big-league advertisers for the MyPillow guy and survival sheepdick pills, so he lays off the workforce, which makes Twitter insecure because of how bloated it is, so his moneymaking schemes will undermine trust and drive off advertisers, which means he loses even more money. So there's a larger social and economic context, and then Musk arrives as our great hero, but he's not even in control of the situation, he's just playing a part that is beyond him and he can't even begin to understand what it all means. Elon Musk is a dope and is fun to laugh at but he doesn't really matter that much, everything that came before is what's making it possible for him to make an rear end out of himself now.

It's like a positive feedback loop, like holding up a microphone to a set of speakers so the audio gets amplified out of control until the whole thing blows.

Mal-3 posted:

He's kinda boxed himself in at this point. He can't say "yeah you can use the n-word now" because then the advertisers will all start to pull out publicly. But at the same time he can't say "no, you still can't use the n-word" because that'd make all the people who currently shower him with love turn on him.

So that's pretty funny. Burn on your pyre of hubris, Elon!
And then we will be free from our false gods! I don't need to follow you! I don't need to follow anyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4mOAmuje4&t=936s

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 4, 2022

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Endorph posted:

near as i can tell he hasnt even actually presented anyone with an actual plan for new content moderation policies, he just keeps gesturing at free speech and 'both sides.' presumably hes scared to actually say 'yeah you can say the nword now'

so one big problem is he fired everyone who would be responsible for implementing the new policies, and presumably the old ones as well

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol if Musk walked back a bit he would probably get back his advertising.

He wouldn’t even have to mean it

Its a little hard to walk it back when he just slashed the teams that were responsible for it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Don’t worry, Elon can just code the new features himself.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol he fired everyone, that's it. Donezo no one will work there and advertisers know there's nobody to baby sit the ads

What's left? It's done. Put a fork in it

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Crazypoops posted:

I'm still kind of processing.

It's kind of hard for me to articulate.

Twitter was this perfect public face for commercial advertising, engagement for consumers.

I mean I hate it but I can see it's value for commercial interests. We had people just having conversations with brands like a Philip k Dick short story.

Twitter was huge, I know TikTok is big but Twitter was like the base interface between like everything.

Like the president of the United States uses it. The loving UN uses it.

And it just got destroyed (and was ALLOWED to be destroyed) by some pissbaby meatface because he didn't like mean tweets

I mean my uneducated mush brain can't think of something like this happening before but maybe like the Hearst era this kinda poo poo was going on.

But all I can think is like the president is about to get on air force one and I'm 9 years old and my older brother stole my fries so I go throw a tantrum in the cockpit fly the plane into the empire state building and nowhere along the way am I stopped

The key thing is that Twitter wasn't as big of a public face as it might seem to us super online types. Twitter is a massive thing for journalists, politicians, political entities, and celebrities. But there are much much less people on Twitter than any other major social media network. As in Twitter has about 200 million daily active users, and Facebook has about 2 billion daily active users. Twitter was literally 100x smaller than Facebook.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Crazypoops posted:

Lol he fired everyone, that's it. Donezo no one will work there and advertisers know there's nobody to baby sit the ads

What's left? It's done. Put a fork in it

Musk will either

1.) quietly sell off the company to the saudis and other shady types while twitter becomes a living FOX News adspace filled with spam for dick pills and prescription pillows and the site begins a long death march to myspace obscurity

2.) [Please, God, this one] Musk's ego refuses to let him admit defeat and he actively starts cannibalizing SpaceX and Tesla to prop up this doomed venture and while he doesn't end up intentionally killing himself, he probably ends up drunk driving or something one night to deal with the stress and ends up with a telephone pole halfway inside his tesla, which then explodes

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

And as others have pointed out, 90% of tweets and content is from an even smaller sub-set of about 20 million.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Let it evolve free of the strangling hands of "moderation" and "staff".

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Blarghalt posted:

Musk will either

1.) quietly sell off the company to the saudis and other shady types while twitter becomes a living FOX News adspace filled with spam for dick pills and prescription pillows and the site begins a long death march to myspace obscurity

Don’t you need like a functioning website in order to sell it though?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yeah Twitter's actual valuation/influence is pretty hard to gauge. like 75% of the people I know use Facebook but I can only name like....3 people who actively use Twitter. but it does have a lot of utility as a news source and a way for celebs/politicians/government bodies to make wide-reaching announcements. I mean random Trump tweets were legitimate news stories on CNN for days at a time, you don't see that kind of poo poo with FB or IG posts. which makes it even funnier that Elon's first big idea is to get rid of verification

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Don’t you need like a functioning website in order to sell it though?

"Functioning" has a very broad definition, as we've learned from these very forums

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem is he can’t just sell because he 1 bought it way above value 2. Is actively tanking its value.

He probably could only get enough to service his debt at this point

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
This I can believe.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is he can’t just sell because he 1 bought it way above value 2. Is actively tanking its value.

He probably could only get enough to service his debt at this point

There's also the fact that no one is dumb enough to buy Twitter lol

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

i barely know how to code and i know how stupid that is

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

its really very funny because like. he owns the platform at this point. the advertisers already hate him. he already has billions in government grants. he can literally say anything he wants and nobody can stop or punish him in any meaningful way. but he cant actually articulate anything meaningful so he just does random shitposts and spouts vague rightwing bleating about free speech. like gently caress it, restore donald trump's account. post your dick. take a dump on the us flag. who cares

He cares. Which is what makes the entire Elondammerung so loving funny. I mean, you're not wrong that Elon basically has gently caress-you-i-do-what-i-want money but ultimately what he wants is to be loved by the masses. Now fewer masses love him and he has a sad that he's trying to drown in chud drool. (Ew.) It won't work because there aren't enough chuds and stans to make up for the normal people who used to think he was Tony Stark but now don't even think he's Justin Hammer, but he'll keep trying until Twitter implodes and takes him with it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah in part. Some terms in programming can be very technical and sometimes people get so far up their own asses that they forget that not everyone is as familiar with inside lingo as they are. Let's say that someone is writing a method that fetches all small cell type mobile network elements. They could be tempted to name it something like FetchAllSCTMNEs(). Maybe people who know what small cell type mobile network elements are can immediately parse that acronym, but most people won't, and it's not very readable. You see this poo poo all the time.

But beyond that, in most modern programming languages you can chain together method calls. So let's say that someone is writing a program that takes in the currently logged in user's internal identification number, fetches that corresponding user's preferences and then applies their preferences.

code:
But that takes like FOUR LINES! It's something a loving NEWBIE could write! You can embed method calls within method calls and be a cool HACKERMAN

code:
WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)
See now it's all in one line and it's so COOL AND ELEGANT! Except when someone has to parse what the gently caress is going on they're going to curse you and your unborn children to hell.
Lol this is so weird to me. When I was a wee child, the standard coding language was BASIC, which, as far as I can tell, was completely impenetrable to anyone who wasn't already very familiar with it..
What you are describing is literally readable to a non-expert. Maybe not completely, but its basically accessible. I can look at the parts and understand what is effectively going on.
Coding has gotten so less obscure!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

'but mr musk the amount of code committed isn't necessarily indicative of-' 'enough woke speak, i'm cutting through the bullshit. top 10 commits are poggers, everyone else goes broke'

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mal-3 posted:

He cares. Which is what makes the entire Elondammerung so loving funny. I mean, you're not wrong that Elon basically has gently caress-you-i-do-what-i-want money but ultimately what he wants is to be loved by the masses. Now fewer masses love him and he has a sad that he's trying to drown in chud drool. (Ew.) It won't work because there aren't enough chuds and stans to make up for the normal people who used to think he was Tony Stark but now don't even think he's Justin Hammer, but he'll keep trying until Twitter implodes and takes him with it.

Don't overestimate the amount of cash he has, most of his value is in tesla and spacex stock, and just lol if he has to sell off that to keep twitter from bankruptcy.

1B a year in interest, lmao

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cheesus posted:

This I can believe.

this is how you ensure nobody left at your company knows how to use git rebase

the people with the most commits where i work are the ones who understand the least about the tools and the purpose of commit messages

e: oh, this might mean most lines of code in the commits, not just the most commits, but dumb as hell either way

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 4, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Xakura posted:

Don't overestimate the amount of cash he has, most of his value is in tesla and spacex stock, and just lol if he has to sell off that to keep twitter from bankruptcy.

1B a year in interest, lmao

That's ok, he'll just find a billion dollars by cutting staff and costs. Really crazy that the previous owners didn't think of that.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/arb/status/1588619837160722432?s=46&t=0Yw7W4UrsQ6UAgsjaiPKkg
If you’re currently verified then you might as well blow your check mark on an Elon dunk right now. I’m hoping more will do this because invariably the stans are gonna keep falling for it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weasling Weasel posted:

Elon is the Liz Truss of Chief Execs.

Please don't say that, I want this company to be his personal millstone, CEO for life.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’m almost positive Elon watched the movie Ex Machina a dozen times and bought Twitter because he believes he can create an AI from twitter data.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Elon is destroying Twitter so fast he even made Eddie Lampert blush.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

code:

code:

The really stupid part about all of it is that the compiler turns both sets of code into the exact same set of instructions as part of its optimization (which it is almost certainly better at than you). Making your code overly complicated serves zero purpose.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah Twitter's actual valuation/influence is pretty hard to gauge. like 75% of the people I know use Facebook but I can only name like....3 people who actively use Twitter. but it does have a lot of utility as a news source and a way for celebs/politicians/government bodies to make wide-reaching announcements. I mean random Trump tweets were legitimate news stories on CNN for days at a time, you don't see that kind of poo poo with FB or IG posts. which makes it even funnier that Elon's first big idea is to get rid of verification
Having celbs, politicians and other "thought leaders" on twitter is definitely more valuable to the network than a million randos who post about the cats all day.

I work at a B2B company and we do, or did at least, use twitter to both communicate announcements and news, and for paid ads. Facebook, not so much.

Azathoth Prime posted:

The really stupid part about all of it is that the compiler turns both sets of code into the exact same set of instructions as part of its optimization (which it is almost certainly better at than you). Making your code overly complicated serves zero purpose.
I'll try everything to make my lovely interpreted scripting language go faster!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Deptfordx posted:

And as others have pointed out, 90% of tweets and content is from an even smaller sub-set of about 20 million.

I crumbled to dust when I learned that Twitter considered "heavy tweeters" to be 4 times a week

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the coding standard that hasn't been updated at work since the 90s still specifies an 80 character column max, and i enforce that with delight in code reviews because it really does prevent a lot of abuse like WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)

it's not a silver bullet and there are times for exceptions, but it's probably the only good thing i have to say about the code style we're supposed to follow in our corporate process manuals

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

doctorfrog posted:

Please don't say that, I want this company to be his personal millstone, CEO for life.

Why not both? Tenure as short as Liz Truss, AND CEO for life.

Also:
https://twitter.com/ThePatanoiac/status/1588209553203601410?t=dJAKEUT1SyNYMOkgJbsjUQ&s=19

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

big black turnout posted:

I crumbled to dust when I learned that Twitter considered "heavy tweeters" to be 4 times a week

man, i poo poo post 4 times per minute

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sophy Wackles posted:

I’m almost positive Elon watched the movie Ex Machina a dozen times and bought Twitter because he believes he can create an AI from twitter data.

Anyone remember the AI Microsoft trained on Twitter and it went from "Hello. I am a robot," to "Hitler did nothing wrong," in two days?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Random Stranger posted:

Anyone remember the AI Microsoft trained on Twitter and it went from "Hello. I am a robot," to "Hitler did nothing wrong," in two days?

“Two days? loving rookie numbers!” - elong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

the coding standard that hasn't been updated at work since the 90s still specifies an 80 character column max, and i enforce that with delight in code reviews because it really does prevent a lot of abuse like WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)

it's not a silver bullet and there are times for exceptions, but it's probably the only good thing i have to say about the code style we're supposed to follow in our corporate process manuals

code:
WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(
                  storage.GetUserData(
                                browser.GetAttributes(
                                               "loggedInUserID"))
                   .visualPrefs)
there ya go, approved

really though removing code is supposed to involve refactoring things out and making it more sensible and readable, in some cases this is easier than others