Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
AC/Deez Nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

I meant it as kind of a backhanded compliment really. AC/DC are well-known and good at playing rock music, much like the other guys in Queen.

But they're still not Queen.

Honestly that's still practically a compliment.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would rather listen to AC/DC’s overplayed hits than Queen’s overplayed hits ten times out of ten, but Queen have far superior deep cuts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My parents almost defaulted to naming me Angus after the AC/DC guy, like some kind of contract they signed with the devil to have Angus Young's soul transferred over if they couldn't decide on a name before I was born. Except they just signed it with each other and it was a cute joke. Uh, I think.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My sympathies for missing out on being named after MacGyver.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AceOfFlames posted:

My sympathies for missing out on being named after MacGyver.

MAN now I wish my name wasn't Ackdack Jacobs so bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Something that’s definitely not going age well is the choice all those parents made to name their kids daenerys.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Something that’s definitely not going age well is the choice all those parents made to name their kids daenerys.

Fortunately, those who had the sense to give her the middle name 'Before Season 8' are gonna be just fine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Still not as bad as the ones who named their kids Khaleesi. There's going to be a lot of work at the registrars offices come 2032 or thereabouts.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would rather listen to AC/DC’s overplayed hits than Queen’s overplayed hits ten times out of ten, but Queen have far superior deep cuts.
They also made Bohemian Rhapsody, which was an adequate song so overused that I now get viscerally angry when I hear it. Worse than Journey even.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I skip it 90% of the time.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Does Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like a Lady get much play these days?

It was about Axel Rose entering a bar Tyler was in, and blurted it out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It’s still a regular on classic rock stations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Speaking of aging Aerosmith, I saw them live a few years ago and they had someone doing back vocals for all the high pitched parts that Steven Tyler can no longer reach I guess. It was quite refreshing to hear Tyler thank him several time during the gig for "making him sound so good", though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Speaking of aging Aerosmith, I saw them live a few years ago and they had someone doing back vocals for all the high pitched parts that Steven Tyler can no longer reach I guess. It was quite refreshing to hear Tyler thank him several time during the gig for "making him sound so good", though.

Deep Purple have been doing something similar now Gillan's well into his 70s, not because he can't reach the notes but because he needs to rest more. Instead of using backing vocals they use the breaks as an opportunity to showcase the musicians in the band, and so they don't tire out they also bring members of the support act back out to jam. Media that definitely did age well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

Deep Purple have been doing something similar now Gillan's well into his 70s, not because he can't reach the notes but because he needs to rest more. Instead of using backing vocals they use the breaks as an opportunity to showcase the musicians in the band, and so they don't tire out they also bring members of the support act back out to jam. Media that definitely did age well.
but do they play Eternity live

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's really nothing you can do in situations like that when you've got 70-year-old rockers trying to sing songs they wrote when they were in their 20s (except retire, I suppose). Art Garfunkel was able to hit the high notes in Bridge Over Troubled Water for almost 50 years, but his voice has gotten a lot weaker in the last couple years on account of literally being an octogenarian.

It's gonna be interesting once we start getting 60s and 70s bands composed entirely of replacement members who joined in the 90s and Millenials.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Rochallor posted:

It's gonna be interesting once we start getting 60s and 70s bands composed entirely of replacement members who joined in the 90s and Millenials.

The Band of Theseus

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Does Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like a Lady get much play these days?

It was about Axel Rose entering a bar Tyler was in, and blurted it out.

Actually, it was Tyler who saw Motley Crue's Vince Neil in a bar and thought he was a woman. It should be noted that it was co-written by a gay man - Desmond Child.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rochallor posted:

The Four Tops still tour despite every original member having retired. Some of the current members have been in the band since the 60s though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jedit posted:

The Four Tops still tour despite every original member having retired. Some of the current members have been in the band since the 60s though.

Well all but one. Duke Fakir is still touring with them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jedit posted:

Yeah, there's several bands that have no founding members left, but I'm struggling to think of any that don't have any "classic" members, per se.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You really think that's a real person? :rolleyes:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rochallor posted:

There's really nothing you can do in situations like that when you've got 70-year-old rockers trying to sing songs they wrote when they were in their 20s (except retire, I suppose). Art Garfunkel was able to hit the high notes in Bridge Over Troubled Water for almost 50 years, but his voice has gotten a lot weaker in the last couple years on account of literally being an octogenarian.

Hell, I saw the death metal band Atheist recently (originally active like 1987-93) and everyone except the vocalist was in their late 20s.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You'd think if a band was going to franchise like that it'd have been KISS

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I had thought Duke retired about eight years ago - I know I heard as much. Evidently my source was mistaken.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can’t wait for Gallagher III to hit the state fair circuit soon, dogged by his younger hated cousin, Gallagher IV.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

The Band of Theseus

Sugababes
1998: Siobhán Donaghy, Mutya Buena and Keisha Buchanan
2001: Mutya Buena, Keisha Buchanan and Heidi Range
2006: Keisha Buchanan, Heidi Range and Amelle Berrabah
2009: Heidi Range, Amelle Berrabah and Jade Ewens (no original members remain)
2011: Sugababes dissolves (presumably in tea)

2012: Siobhán Donaghy, Mutya Buena and Keisha Buchanan form "Mutya Keisha Siobhan"
2019: MKS rename as Sugababes

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Jon Anderson's voice is still pretty decent. He turned 78 last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpNiRb99Kus

Anderson seems to have taken very good care of himself. He's into some offshoot hippy-like spirituality thing and seems extremely upbeat about everything in life these days. Maybe that's the secret. Or Rick Wakeman might have been right and that Anderson is from another planet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's sad thinking about why all these old rockstars have to keep touring (or paying people to tour in their place).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Beyond the guys who absolutely need the money, playing music with your buddies is fun so why not get paid if you can and don’t mind the travel?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They’re just in it for the ancient wrinkled pussy.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Torquemada posted:

They’re just in it for the ancient wrinkled pussy.

Ben Franklin would be proud

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Still not as bad as the ones who named their kids Khaleesi. There's going to be a lot of work at the registrars offices come 2032 or thereabouts.

I've definitely heard that name uttered in a playground.

On the subject of inappropriate for children I was watching an old episode of Top of the Pops from 1983 and stumbled across this unholy duo....

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Asterite34 posted:

Ben Franklin would be proud

Ben Franklin wrote a lot about the comforts of older women. He was infamous on the streets of Paris.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Rondette posted:

On the subject of inappropriate for children I was watching an old episode of Top of the Pops from 1983 and stumbled across this unholy duo....

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Ben Franklin wrote a lot about the comforts of older women. He was infamous on the streets of Paris.

All cats are gray in the dark.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

You'd think if a band was going to franchise like that it'd have been KISS

How would you know they haven't?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Jon Anderson's voice is still pretty decent. He turned 78 last month.

Arthur Brown turned 80 this year and celebrated by releasing and touring a new album of original material. I wasn't able to make it to a gig, but he's as sound as he was when he recorded Fire! in the 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Rondette posted:

Given context I'm guessing nonces, but I'm gonna need help for specific names