Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah that was one thing the original (or at least the popular) phase of Bon Appetit was good at and which a lot of channels weren't doing, was having these sort of collaborative environments where people could bounce things off each other. Sohla's had a couple of really good ones like that, with Babish, Ham, and a couple things with Priya. America's Test Kitchen are really the only other ones that are doing that sort of video on a consistent basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Still lol at the fact that Reply All's much-hyped four-episode BA expose not only forced its creators to resign in disgrace two episodes in, it also ultimately resulted in the demise of Reply All itself

e: Case of the Missing Hit is probably my favorite podcast episode of all time though, I've probably relistened to it like five times now

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Still lol at the fact that Reply All's much-hyped four-episode BA expose not only forced its creators to resign in disgrace two episodes in, it also ultimately resulted in the demise of Reply All itself

e: Case of the Missing Hit is probably my favorite podcast episode of all time though, I've probably relistened to it like five times now

I haven’t listened to reply all in forever, what the hell happened here?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think there’s any value in reverse engineering non collabs to conclude whether someone was a douche or not. The BA alumni have generally not worked together since things kicked off and that’s easily explained by the fact that food videos aren’t usually collaborative in nature.

Oh for sure. It's a junk metric, but just a fun casual observation.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I haven’t listened to reply all in forever, what the hell happened here?

Long story short: a big part of the BA episodes was that there were people inside BA that were pushing for change and being sidelined, ghosted, gaslit, etc. .......and Reply All didn't check the skeletons in their closet before moving forward with the series. After episode 2 dropped, someone broke the news that Gimlet also had a union drive that had been poo-poo'd by management, and had a bunch of internal issues that abstractly mirrored those that they were reporting on BA about.

They decided to drop everything and start looking internally... and then a couple people who were editing the last couple episodes left the company, making it impossible to finish. Reply All came back a bit later, with a new host, but like BA have to imagine the numbers didn't return.

Also Gimlet by most accounts seemed like a fuckboi podcast company that was obsessed with being bought out by a big dog, so once Spotify had them it doesn't seem like there was much of a drive for creative shows.

Also gently caress em' for killing Mystery Show and breaking Starlee Kine's heart.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The iffy quality to me comes from her mentions of ski trips and just an air of someone who came from money.

The dirty secret of industries that rely on low- and un-paid apprenticeships/internships is that they self-select for people who have money. Food, fashion, film, and music are bad about this, and media focusing on those things is worse.

Of course this is also a factor in YouTube too, because it takes a LOT of time to gain success and generally you need someone supporting you to succeed in that.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Oh for sure. It's a junk metric, but just a fun casual observation.

Long story short: a big part of the BA episodes was that there were people inside BA that were pushing for change and being sidelined, ghosted, gaslit, etc. .......and Reply All didn't check the skeletons in their closet before moving forward with the series. After episode 2 dropped, someone broke the news that Gimlet also had a union drive that had been poo-poo'd by management, and had a bunch of internal issues that abstractly mirrored those that they were reporting on BA about.

They decided to drop everything and start looking internally... and then a couple people who were editing the last couple episodes left the company, making it impossible to finish. Reply All came back a bit later, with a new host, but like BA have to imagine the numbers didn't return.

Also Gimlet by most accounts seemed like a fuckboi podcast company that was obsessed with being bought out by a big dog, so once Spotify had them it doesn't seem like there was much of a drive for creative shows.

Also gently caress em' for killing Mystery Show and breaking Starlee Kine's heart.

Thanks for the rundown, that’s pretty sad to hear. I listened to Startup back when Gimlet first got started, in retrospect it was a pretty weird and self indulgent idea from the get go. I did enjoy Reply All and Mystery Show though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tricky Ed posted:

The dirty secret of industries that rely on low- and un-paid apprenticeships/internships is that they self-select for people who have money. Food, fashion, film, and music are bad about this

They can do this of course because there are way more people who want to get into these industries than there are positions available. Food, fashion, film, and music are all more interesting than e.g. computer programming.

Of course rich/connected people will have a leg up when applying for highly competitive positions. I remember Mike Judge, the creator of Beavis and Butthead who cold called MTV to get his cartoon on the network, in an interview strongly hinting at this when he said something like: 'people tend to gloss over how they got into show business'. He might have a little chip on his shoulder about this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Interning at high end kitchens isn't a glamorous job and I doubt Molly started working in kitchens to become rich and famous. Her recipes are solid. If anything I think Priya is the one that should stick to being a journalist because none of her food was anything special. Her pieces for the New York Times are really good. I don't get the appeal of Brad's food either.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't get the appeal of Brad's food either.

Botulism, mostly.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

dino. posted:

It’s those aprons they had them wearing at BA. All of them made the women look like they’re in some weird cult where you have to wear flour sack dresses, but your mom can’t sew, so you just wear the literal flour sack. I get that they may be functional, but dear gods are they ugly.

it is a very weird thing to talk about the degree to which aprons are or are not making female cooks/chefs attractive

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think Dino is commenting on their attractiveness. He’s just saying what they’re wearing is ugly.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t think Dino is commenting on their attractiveness. He’s just saying what they’re wearing is ugly.

fair enough

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mystes posted:

Molly is doing fine cooking videos she just seems like a psychopath

i gotta add that people coming up with stupid cutsey shortened names for crap is like nails on a chalkboard to me. like calling potatoes 'puh-tayts' or whatever.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Borsche69 posted:

i gotta add that people coming up with stupid cutsey shortened names for crap is like nails on a chalkboard to me. like calling potatoes 'puh-tayts' or whatever.

so you're not a fan of Molly's custom Nikes that say CAE SAL on them?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Brecky and Sammie are the recent(ish) terms that cause me a truly inexplicable amount of rage.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The rule is it’s okay if the original word has four or more syllables. Cauliflower is in dire need of an abbreviation.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cawfow

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Love to add a dash of woo sauce to a Bloody Mary.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

more falafel please posted:

Is that Welsh or something?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

dino. posted:

Is that Welsh or something?

*whispers* caeser salad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
(Whispering) Caelic salt

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

*whispers* caeser salad

My life is worse for knowing this. What the hell kind of affected poo poo is this. It makes me irrationally annoyed. Stop trying to make fetch happen. :argh:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

more falafel please posted:

*whispers* caeser salad

this isn't real. this sucks. i hate the way this sucks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dino. posted:

My life is worse for knowing this. What the hell kind of affected poo poo is this. It makes me irrationally annoyed. Stop trying to make fetch happen. :argh:

It made me so mad years ago when I first heard it. That knowledge should come with a warning.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If you can’t handle me at my cae sal, then you don’t deserve me at my EVOO

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Democratic Pirate posted:

If you can’t handle me at my cae sal, then you don’t deserve me at my EVOOollie oil

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Four" levels of breakfast sandwiches and Lorenzo goes hard :

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I want some of Lorenzo's sandwich, goddamn.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If a sandwich can't fit easily in a mouth and can't be eaten without all the stuff falling out then gently caress that entire thing. What's even the point? Don't make it a sandwich.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah if your sandwich needs a toothpick to be held together it's not a real sandwich

Just eat it open-faced

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Proud of you Lorezno. Shine by your own north star you bright beautiful bastard you.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Molly's life is a contrast in dogs. On the one hand she owns a weiner dog names Tuna who is adorable, and on the other hand some other dog bit her in the fuckin face within the past year

Also my wife loves Molly so I bought her the cookbook she came out with and the recipes are genuinely good

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Nobody’s doubting homegirl’s cooking ability. She can knock up fresh pasta with seemingly little effort. She knows what she’s doing. It’s the affected twee poo poo that is nails on a chalkboard.

Also, they need to stop calling it 4 levels. The food scientist isn’t making one. Also, lorenzo seems like a guy I’d like to have a beer with, but most of the stuff he churns out is way too over the top to be good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

We just skip the food scientist part now since it doesn't really add anything to the video.

Lorenzo grates on my nerves a little bit now, he used to be just amiable and charming but I think he just forces it a bit too much now and his laughing at everything is too much.

Emily should have learned how to cook by now, why is she still a level 1? Grow up, girl.

I love Frank but Saul is the top dog chef IMO.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Proud of you Lorezno. Shine by your own north star you bright beautiful bastard you.

i always have a good chuckle about how the level 2 chef knows just enough to be dangerous, both to themselves and the food they hosed around with

mystes
May 31, 2006

The whole "levels" gimmick is extremely dumb but it's enjoyable watching the people cook and they should honestly just get rid of the food scientist and have them all be in the same room talking to each other

Similarly the gimmick of the ingredient swapping videos is the worst part of those videos

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Make that kitchen gadget guy do the left handed oil test again.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’d make Lorenzo’s 9 out of 10 times but gently caress having to deal with conveyor belt rollers on the top of my breakfast sandwich. Could you not split the sausages lengthwise to make life easier?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Also, I get that it’s for click bait that the fancy version is super expensive, but how you gonna pretend like that entire bottle of truffle oil, or the full rear end tin of saffron is going into one dish? Come on, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Grem posted:

Make that kitchen gadget guy do the left handed oil test again.

God I hate that dude and his Shtick