Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

echinopsis posted:

what’s a war frame palette lol

not much, what’s warframe pallet with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Animation polish update for SPOOKOWEEN (The animation itself is not spooky)
facial animation hand animation not existy all anim not final hur dur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOVk-piRMDI

I've intentionally cut out some of the less interesting connective preamble I worked on with the update to present a juicier confrontation between Driver and Monster. I've added a bunch of new animations between the two characters (I know the run cycle on driver is really jank) and while I'll need to revisit this moment to make the characters movement a bit more fluid and impactful, it's a lot more fun and dynamic compared to the old one. I'll need particle effects and sound to really sell it of course but that's for much later.

Now when the monster leaps, it carries that momentum into a swipe as it descends that the driver blocks with his shovel. That momentum continues as the monster springs into the air, flipping over to deliver a downward stab which the driver dodges aside from. With a big step off to the side, the driver swings the shovel around his back to reposition into one big downward swing to meet the monster's own, deflecting it away. Previously, there was only that one big attack from the monster, leaving an awkward "turn based" feel to the scene.

The old version for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRFR1qaQkc&t=79s

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone have a tutorial rec for volumetric lighting (especially uneven fog/smoke and dust in the air?). wanted to add it to my nodevemeber thing but couldn't find anything good and quick. I think i might be searching for the wrong thing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can help I've played around with it lots over the time

but idk about the rules say for example having a second cube that's just a volume cube. (as far as nodevember goes)

you'd normally put a cube around everything you wanted and in the shader editor make the surface transparent, and use the principled volume shader node into the volume shader input and play around with the density and maybe asboption colour

it slows the rendering down HEAPS

you can change stuff in the render tab under volumes to get more or less accuracy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
throwback:

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

Here's a thing that may or may not be useful to you all, a setup in the world shader to map equirectangular images such as HDRIs to a half dome

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahlui7m2y3vcrs9/HDRIDome%20v1.0.blend?dl=0

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

since last year ive been trying to figure out a "nice" way to make a geo node group that makes stuff with random variations based on a seed value, and be able to distribute points and make each point into that thing, but with a random seed value for each realized instance. and it suddenly came to me when i was washing dishes and now ive figured it out for real

basically, transfer a 1D white noise attribute with W set to the index, set to nearest point.... transfer that over to the realized instances making sure the geometry doesn't overlap. and then each realized instance/mesh island has a single seed value that you can then use to operate on the entire "instance" (even though it's no longer an instance)

bonus: you can transfer the position of the instance in the same way, so that you can scale it by negative 1 to move your object back to world origin before you do all the math to generate your final object, then move it back by the same offset so it ends up in the correct place at the end. makes some of the math easier if your procedural generation is based at 0,0,0

in this example i just threw together some random mushroom or whatever that makes different versions based on the seed value

I'm pretty sure this is what I need for my spaceship junkyard, but I'll be damned if I understand it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what I need for my spaceship junkyard, but I'll be damned if I understand it.

from what ive been able to understand it is easier to instance then randomize versus randomize then instance.

so on way would be you start with your points you're instancing onto, you use attribute capture to capture the index, then instance your starting geometry onto those nodes. now you can use that captured index to set a per-instance seed that you can use to drive a set position node to add per-instance randomness.

but you may need to realize instances for this to work. im still trying to understand when i need to realize instances and why.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bluemillion posted:

is that working for you?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Trabisnikof posted:

from what ive been able to understand it is easier to instance then randomize versus randomize then instance.

so on way would be you start with your points you're instancing onto, you use attribute capture to capture the index, then instance your starting geometry onto those nodes. now you can use that captured index to set a per-instance seed that you can use to drive a set position node to add per-instance randomness.

but you may need to realize instances for this to work. im still trying to understand when i need to realize instances and why.

it's easier if you want "infinite" randomness. randomizing and then instancing is just easier overall, but the problem is you need to pre-define all variations to everything except scale and rotation. if you can get away with just some scale and rotation and maybe a small number of substantive variations on the base shape, then go ahead and pre-define it and leave it all as instances

and yes to do anything other than scale and rotation, you need to realize instances. but remember that realizing them comes at a performance cost, because now theyre considered real editable geometry the same as anything else. instances are just a reference to the original object and can be way way faster to use if you need a lot of them.

you wouldnt want to realize your grass for example, you generally want a few simple shapes and then instance 200,000 copies of it with random scale and rotation. realize that and start to deform and you will suffer

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

is that working for you?

I meant the post that I quoted. I'm trying to make a field of randomized spaceships.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

it's easier if you want "infinite" randomness. randomizing and then instancing is just easier overall, but the problem is you need to pre-define all variations to everything except scale and rotation. if you can get away with just some scale and rotation and maybe a small number of substantive variations on the base shape, then go ahead and pre-define it and leave it all as instances

and yes to do anything other than scale and rotation, you need to realize instances. but remember that realizing them comes at a performance cost, because now theyre considered real editable geometry the same as anything else. instances are just a reference to the original object and can be way way faster to use if you need a lot of them.

you wouldnt want to realize your grass for example, you generally want a few simple shapes and then instance 200,000 copies of it with random scale and rotation. realize that and start to deform and you will suffer

thats very wise, thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm going to try to do some of the nodevember things, but i am quite a beginner to blender nodes. when you drag on a node's parameter slider, sometimes it steps in units of like 0.001 and sometimes in 0.1 etc. how can i change this? like so i can fine tune a value that needs to be between 0.09 and 0.11, but the slider steps in 0.1 increments (and so do the arrows on the ends)? is the only way to type in a value over and over again?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

i'm going to try to do some of the nodevember things, but i am quite a beginner to blender nodes. when you drag on a node's parameter slider, sometimes it steps in units of like 0.001 and sometimes in 0.1 etc. how can i change this? like so i can fine tune a value that needs to be between 0.09 and 0.11, but the slider steps in 0.1 increments (and so do the arrows on the ends)? is the only way to type in a value over and over again?

you can hold down shift while u slide to slow it down a bit but for really fine adjustments you either type it in or create a value node and divide it by 100 or something and plug that in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hm interesting. in grasshopper you can just right click on the node and set things like the endpoints of a parameter's scale, the stepping to use, whether you want real or natural numbers, even or odd, etc. it's convenient. but this way with math nodes will do the job. ty

e: like is this the correct way to step from 0.900 to 1.100 in steps of 0.001, or is there a simpler way? grasshopper also has a script node where you can just have an input x, output y, and type "y = x * 0.001 + 0.9" to save one or many steps of math nodes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 2, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

hm interesting. in grasshopper you can just right click on the node and set things like the endpoints of a parameter's scale, the stepping to use, whether you want real or natural numbers, even or odd, etc. it's convenient. but this way with math nodes will do the job. ty

e: like is this the correct way to step from 0.900 to 1.100 in steps of 0.001, or is there a simpler way? grasshopper also has a script node where you can just have an input x, output y, and type "y = x * 0.001 + 0.9" to save one or many steps of math nodes.

idk if this is simpler or not, but you can use scripted expressions on a driver. the scripting uses python syntax, kinda

https://i.imgur.com/E19zge2.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a more normal way to do it, if youre gonna do it a lot, would be to make a little node group and name the inputs and set the default values like this

then you can have a single box to accomplish the same thing, and name it

you could even mark that node group as an "asset" and set up your asset library so you can just drop it into every project as needed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

this would be a good place for a map range node

well, I'd use it that way anyway

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

this would be a good place for a map range node

well, I'd use it that way anyway

oh yeah lol that would be a good idea. i use map ranges all the time idk why i didnt think of that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I can help I've played around with it lots over the time

but idk about the rules say for example having a second cube that's just a volume cube. (as far as nodevember goes)

you'd normally put a cube around everything you wanted and in the shader editor make the surface transparent, and use the principled volume shader node into the volume shader input and play around with the density and maybe asboption colour

it slows the rendering down HEAPS

you can change stuff in the render tab under volumes to get more or less accuracy

you're right about the render times drat. these are a lot of fun though, so many cool lighting effects are possible with emission volumes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
indeed

some of the coolest stuff I made with them I had to use luxrender, which has bidirectional path tracing which greatly enhances the ability to see volumetric lights, which allows things like dark side of the moon cover kind of stuff

lol
I just had a browse thru some old work of mine looking for some examples, which I couldn’t find, but what shocked me was all this stuff I remember doing but thought I did ages ago but only did last year. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ya know what I would I could find was my original blender threads. I think this is actually the third blender thread I made in yospos, the other two being so old they expired, but if the links still worked they’d have renders I’ve done that have otherwise been lost to time

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

distortion park posted:

Does anyone have a tutorial rec for volumetric lighting (especially uneven fog/smoke and dust in the air?). wanted to add it to my nodevemeber thing but couldn't find anything good and quick. I think i might be searching for the wrong thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLhPhscC4F4

at 0:50: "make a cube with an emission texture plugged into the volume, you've got a foggy morning with quick render times"

edit: and i bet you can plug a noise texture into the strength input to make variable density fog

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Still a relative beginner, but my sculpting is slowly getting to a place where I can translate my 2D style to 3D. Models aren't looking so lumpy anymore, which was one of the biggest setbacks for me. I used bezeled paths for the hair so the shapes were easy, but placing them on the head was an absolute pain.

Not sure if it'd be easy to rig this to show emotions since I sculpted all the skin apart from ears as one mass; the eyelids aren't really flaps and the mouth is solid.

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 6, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s pretty good

sculpting is so difficult, that shows some skill for sure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858212&userid=0&perpage=40

heh dug up the previous thread. nice flashback to some posters of yore giving their hand at shrek blenders

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Argue posted:

Not sure if it'd be easy to rig this to show emotions since I sculpted all the skin apart from ears as one mass; the eyelids aren't really flaps and the mouth is solid.

Generally you retopologize your sculpt so that it has geometry better suited for animation.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Argue posted:

Still a relative beginner, but my sculpting is slowly getting to a place where I can translate my 2D style to 3D. Models aren't looking so lumpy anymore, which was one of the biggest setbacks for me. I used bezeled paths for the hair so the shapes were easy, but placing them on the head was an absolute pain.

this looks really good mate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858212&userid=0&perpage=40

heh dug up the previous thread. nice flashback to some posters of yore giving their hand at shrek blenders

that thread owns and it’s also funny to see people saying they left it overnight to render or w/e and it’s some crap we can all render in like 47 seconds these days with our rtxes 30 series cards and cycles x and optix and denoising

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it’s a fun trip down memory lane, I’m impressed how many people jumped on it and gave it a shot

the thread I made before it must have not had blender in the thread title coz I can’t find it :cry:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

these days we're all aobut nodebrain

https://i.imgur.com/BccsgJL.mp4

at least i am

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

fart simpson posted:

these days we're all aobut nodebrain

https://i.imgur.com/BccsgJL.mp4

at least i am

this looks like one of those little studio identifier things that they play in front of movies

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Argue posted:

Paths for hair is fun as hell. I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to do them into braids.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Paths for hair is fun as hell. I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to do them into braids.

i think this video tutorial was fairly comprehensive from what i remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUXfjBtanA

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol no way

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's... it's beautiful

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

other than colors that doesn't look much like windows 98