Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i remember getting into the hauppage hardware mpeg-2 encoder boards so that i could run my own lunix PVR setup with mythtv

it was kind of cool but undoubtedly the jankiest linux experience i've ever had, which for me is a whole lot

linux snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i had to get a capture card maybe 8-10 years ago to digitise some camera tapes for my family. the software installed itself to load at startup, and every time it opened it pegged the CPU at 100% for 10 minutes while it scanned for channels, and the PC would just lock up for ~30 seconds every time you pressed a button on the IR remote

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 9, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that sadly sounds about right. i used to use a pile of open source alternatives to record/watch tv because the bundled software would occasionally decide it couldn't find my tuner and it never found a channel lineup

they were cryptic and obtuse, but they wouldn't strangle my system for resources so it was a fair trade. i also had a set of scripts for virtualdub, eventually, to clean up noisy analog recordings that was pretty great until digital tuners were affordable

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

the first upgrade i bought after starting college was the cheapest tuner i could find then started recording shows off the campus cable package

as a kid i carefully recorded tv shows on our vcr and would live-edit out commercials, the tv tuner was like magic in a bottle to me :allears:

ah, a fellow cool college dude! I think I still have some rips of the Critic from before dvds came out and some random stuff from Conan O’Brien, things like that. I need to make sure that stuff is still safe…

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Leck posted:

ah, a fellow cool college dude! I think I still have some rips of the Critic from before dvds came out and some random stuff from Conan O’Brien, things like that. I need to make sure that stuff is still safe…

:hfive: nice! i had mission hill rips and a ton of sci-fi channel b movies that i'd snag when they aired as late night filler. mission hill's second go on adult swim later was handy since i'd gotten my setup just so by then

for mission hill, i kept them after the dvds because they released without the licensed music until some fans merged the tracks

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it also committed the unforgivable UI sin of trying to make the software look like a piece of real AV equipment, so it was all simulated dials, rotary switches, and tiny status LEDs

love to chose menu options by clicking and holding on an unlabelled dial and then dragging the mouse left and right to move a selection bar vertically next to some text labels

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 8, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

psiox posted:

i remember getting into the hauppage hardware mpeg-2 encoder boards so that i could run my own lunix PVR setup with mythtv

it was kind of cool but undoubtedly the jankiest linux experience i've ever had, which for me is a whole lot

linux snipe

you won't be needing any of this hardware with linux. none of it has drivers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

you won't be needing any of this hardware with linux. none of it has drivers

linux is the only os on which my 20+ year old capture card actually still works, because there were never official windows drivers for it beyond win98

it's a bt848 card that dumps raw frames without forcing things through a hardware encoder like modern capture devices, so it's still great for things like digitizing old vhs tapes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
My first real capture card was an avermedia pcmcia express (or 2? i forget) card

it was so fuckin rad to open winamp and watch broadcast the price is right on my laptop, or tune in to the local classic rock station over fm

nostalgia for the days of analog broadcasts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

The_Franz posted:

it's a bt848 card

ohh man that takes me back

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
cyberman

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

cyberman

holy moly

Beeftweeter posted:

ohh man that takes me back

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Mouse in a Box

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i literally owned one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

guess what motivated me to buy this $100+ peripheral when i was still broke af

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

answer: I got insanely owned at Descent during a LAN party

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
lmao

really need to get overload next time it's on sale but imo nothing will ever touch descent 2 for an incredibly sick soundtrack (also i kinda liked what little i remember of the story)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

i literally owned one

so did i, i won it as a door prize at a software expo

remember those? lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if there were a descent 2 level pack for overload i would buy it in a heartbeat.

also if it had the original weapons. in the game there's something that is obviously a laser, a plasma cannon, a smart missile, etc but i want the actual set. gimme the omega cannon and earthshaker missile

i still have my old original descent 2 CD somewhere, with a scratcher robot on it. it plays the soundtrack in a CD player. remember when games did that? rad

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 8, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

if there were a descent 2 level pack for overload i would buy it in a heartbeat.

also if it had the original weapons. in the game there's something that is obviously a laser, a plasma cannon, a smart missile, etc but i want the actual set. gimme the omega cannon and earthshaker missile

i still have my old original descent 2 CD somewhere, with a scratcher robot on it. it plays the soundtrack in a CD player. remember when games did that? rad

DO NOT PLAY TRACK 1

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

some dreamcast games had a little message if you popped it in a cd player. like i remember sonic adventure had sonic telling me not to do what i had already done, followed by extremely loud bits yelling at me for my intransigence :smith:

iirc there were some wallpapers and maybe a screensaver too

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Beeftweeter posted:

DO NOT PLAY TRACK 1

but that was a great merzbow track

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

cyberman

:worship:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

i had to get a capture card maybe 8-10 years ago to digitise some camera tapes for my family. the software installed itself to load at startup, and every time it opened it pegged the CPU at 100% for 10 minutes while it scanned for channels, and the PC would just lock up for ~30 seconds every time you pressed a button in the IR remote

i almost went this route but then i found a pretty affordable dvd+vcr combo that would let me record vhs to dvd. dvd ripping was super easy and i only had ~15 tapes to do. this was also cheaper than taking it to a place that specialized in doing this sort of thing.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I had an internal 14.4k modem on a Pentium 75, and when I upgraded to an internal 33.6k card the computer would slow down whenever it connected because it was one of those that used the host cpu (which i didn't understand at the time).

thought i was forever stuck on 14.4 until i got an external 56k and of course had no problems.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
also to connect to my first internet isp from windows 95, after creating the dialup connection shortcut i had to go into the advanced settings (following my isp's instructions) and tick something like "show terminal window" which showed the user/pass prompt from their *nix login box i guess. had to type both manually every time.

a few months later i changed isps and followed the same instructions but it didn't work. i explained what i was doing over the phone and they said what the gently caress are you doing just put it in the normal windows username box

also i never had windows 3.1 but trumpet winsock was once a requirement for the web and it was invented in my town. they made some money but then operating systems just made their own versions.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that was a winmodem lol

most of the functionality was in drivers which did not exist for other platforms

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the pinnance of modem stupidity had to be 'shotgun modems'. it (theoretically) doubled the bandwith since it used two phone lines at once, but you needed an isp that supported it, and few did. plus, when you added up all of the extra costs for multiple phone lines and such, you were likely getting into isdn or idsl price territory

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

gabensraum posted:

also to connect to my first internet isp from windows 95, after creating the dialup connection shortcut i had to go into the advanced settings (following my isp's instructions) and tick something like "show terminal window" which showed the user/pass prompt from their *nix login box i guess. had to type both manually every time.

a few months later i changed isps and followed the same instructions but it didn't work. i explained what i was doing over the phone and they said what the gently caress are you doing just put it in the normal windows username box

also i never had windows 3.1 but trumpet winsock was once a requirement for the web and it was invented in my town. they made some money but then operating systems just made their own versions.

my first isp was sorta like that -- by default upon logging in you were dropped in a unix shell and had to type ppp or something to start the ppp session. fortunately they shipped login scripts with their evaluation copy of trumped, so you didn't really have to worry about it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

gabensraum posted:

also, beame & whiteside tcp/ip stack for dos, which you needed if you wanted to play multiplayer quake before winquake/glquake was a thing

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

trumpet's licensing model lead the way for winzip

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i miss shareware

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

my first isp was sorta like that -- by default upon logging in you were dropped in a unix shell and had to type ppp or something to start the ppp session. fortunately they shipped login scripts with their evaluation copy of trumped, so you didn't really have to worry about it

was there any real advantage to a shell account other than being able to idle in irc 24/7?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

The_Franz posted:

was there any real advantage to a shell account other than being able to idle in irc 24/7?

it was a prerequisite for ~hacker stuff~ according to an entry in the anarchist cookbook i read when i was like nine years old

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

you couldn't use it to idle in irc -- they aggressively terminated processes when a user hung up. the isp offered web hosting at isp.com/~yourusername, which mapped to public_html in your home directory on the unix box, so it was nice to edit poo poo in the shell. the dialup shell was *way* snappier than using telnet to connect -- i don't think they offered ssh. you could also upload files via zmodem, but honestly it was way easier to start a ppp session and use ftp for that.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

Looking back it's amazing how much the knowledge barrier has changed in order to get online. I don't even remember where I learned what PPP was or how to run scripts before the https://www. By reading usenet and README.txt files?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

for me it was lots of calls to the isp tech support asking dumb questions like "why does my 14.4 modem only download at 1.5KBps?" it was a small isp, and i always called on the weekend, so i ended up on a first name basis with the owner (who did weekend support).

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

nudgenudgetilt posted:

for me it was lots of calls to the isp tech support asking dumb questions like "why does my 14.4 modem only download at 1.5KBps?" it was a small isp, and i always called on the weekend, so i ended up on a first name basis with the owner (who did weekend support).

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mantle posted:

Looking back it's amazing how much the knowledge barrier has changed in order to get online. I don't even remember where I learned what PPP was or how to run scripts before the https://www. By reading usenet and README.txt files?

lol does https://www. get autotagged

e: lmao it does