Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Enough making GBS threads on hyperlynx, please. They didn't know about the history, and have come out of today a better educated individual. That doesn't make them racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you don't get that blackface is inherently offensive to black people regardless of your country's rich historical traditions, then you are probably dumb as a brick

No, I get that it is. I don't get why it is, but that's not actually relevant. I don't need to know why something upsets people to know not to do it, that's just common decency. I thought that goes without saying.

E: I'm not ruling out me being dumb as a brick, though

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Nov 5, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lmao

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This photo was taken in my neighbourhood back in 1935

Jesus, Alan Brough's a lot older than I thought

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Enough making GBS threads on hyperlynx, please. They didn't know about the history, and have come out of today a better educated individual. That doesn't make them racist

Hyperlynx posted:

No, I get that it is. I don't get why it is, but that's not actually relevant. I don't need to know why something upsets people to know not to do it, that's just common decency. I thought that goes without saying.

E: I'm not ruling out me being dumb as a brick, though

You got a mod assist just stop digging!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

E: forget it. I'm not doing anyone any good by continuing the topic, least of all me

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Nov 6, 2022

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Unkempt posted:

Jesus, Alan Brough's a lot older than I thought

I was thinking Mike Stoklasa but yours is a much more accurate call.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hyperlynx posted:

E: forget it. I'm not doing anyone any good by continuing the topic, least of all me

Oh thank goodness lmao.

On topic too!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

franco posted:

I was thinking Mike Stoklasa but yours is a much more accurate call.

Same but also Joseph Gilgun

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I listen to a lot of podcasts and the term "inside baseball" is used all the time. Frequently whenever the podcast hosts start talking about something perhaps a little too in-depth, they will say, "We're getting a little inside baseball here" or something like that. All this time I assumed there was some popular show about baseball called Inside Baseball and this was a reference to that somehow, but it just comes from 1950s political slang.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Rico and Ibañez in Starship Troopers have Spanish names because they're Argentinian (possibly also true of Flores, I don't know what the backstory for him is in the book)

---------

Reginald, Reynold, Reynauld, Renaut, Ronald are all variations on the same name.

Edit: Ronnie and Reggie Kray basically had the same name

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Nov 8, 2022

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The British use Traveller as they have two distinct and unrelated groups of Travelers. The Romani and Irish Travellers (Mincéirí).

There's also New Age Travellers. Basically hippies/crusties. But that's a different can of worms.

Which might be a little generic but preferable to racial slurs.

Only two? smdh There are also the Scottish Highland Travellers (usual slur being "tinks") who are recorded as far back as the 12th century (and are not relocated Irish Travellers), and the travelling fairground/market showmen families some of whom have possibly been around since the late medieval period. The Romani also have several distinct regional lineages (e.g. the Welsh Kale).

:can: og New Age Travellers =/= "Basically hippies/crusties". There was a fundamental and massive DIY anarcho-punk influence at their roots* and a non-negligible rasta input**. Crusties appropriated chunks of the aesthetic but didn't generally pick up the essential practical skills needed for a life on the road.
There was also a later offshoot of the NA Travellers that returned to exclusively horse-drawn transport (though afaik most of them ended up leaving Britain because this is a hard lifestyle when local councils constantly freak out over attempts to graze your horse on "public" land or verges, and entitled twats in cars keep calling the cops cos your slow moving transport delayed their oh so vital journey) and a very recent trend of stealth travellers using vehicles that aren't visibly designed to live in.

*See Penny Rimbaud of Crass' excellent book The Last of the Hippies for more.
** Marley's Redemption Song being a perennial campfire favourite for example.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Captain Splendid posted:

Rico and Ibañez in Starship Troopers have Spanish names because they're Argentinian (possibly also true of Flores, I don't know what the backstory for him is in the book)

He was from the Philippines in the book, there was a whole but where he talks about speaking Tagalog with one of the other infantrymen.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bargearse posted:

He was from the Philippines in the book, there was a whole but where he talks about speaking Tagalog with one of the other infantrymen.

Well, I guess that would also explain a Spanish surname

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

There's also a bit in the book where Buenos Aires is destroyed and Rico feels vaguely bad about it, but not that bad since he doesn't know anybody who lived there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

in the movie they are all white people

an artifact of Hollywood casting or a deliberate decision by verhoven?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm from Manila and I say "oh, that's a shame."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KoRMaK posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

KoRMaK posted:

That’s absolutely a deliberate choice.

And in the book he’s definitely from BA. His meets up with his Dad who joined after his wife/Johnny’s mom was killed in the attack on BA.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I used to love that book. I tried revisiting it a while ago and I couldn’t make it past the bit where Heinlein’s self-insert furiously wanks himself off over public executions and how great they are.

Heinlein is so frustrating because although he came up with some legitimately interesting sci-fi concepts, you have to be prepared to wade through some horrendous space-libertarian poo poo to enjoy it.

TK-42-1 posted:

And in the book he’s definitely from BA. His meets up with his Dad who joined after his wife/Johnny’s mom was killed in the attack on BA.

If I remember right they just had a home in Buenos Aires, they weren’t actually from there, but I could be misremembering.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Nov 9, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

Starship Troopers posted:

I suppose I noticed the destruction of B. A. much less than most civilians did. We were already a couple of parsecs away under Cherenkov drive and the news didn't reach us until we got it from another ship after we came out of drive.

I remember thinking, "Gosh, that's terrible!" and feeling sorry for the one Porteño in the ship. But B. A. wasn't my home and Terra was a long way off and I was very busy, as the attack on Klendathu, the Bugs' home planet, was mounted immediately after that and we spent the time to rendezvous strapped in our bunks, doped and unconscious, with the internal-gravity field of the Valley Forge off, to save power and give greater speed.
His mom is killed there, but she's just visiting on vacation and he doesn't find out until a long time later

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bargearse posted:

Heinlein is so frustrating because although he came up with some legitimately interesting sci-fi concepts, you have to be prepared to wade through some horrendous space-libertarian poo poo to enjoy it.

I don't actually have to do any of that.

gently caress libertarianism and their sex predator voters.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't actually have to do any of that.

gently caress libertarianism and their sex predator voters.

Probably bad choice of words on my part. I should have said that other, better books exist that cover the same ground as Heinlein did but without the odious bullshit.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

I listen to a lot of podcasts and the term "inside baseball" is used all the time. Frequently whenever the podcast hosts start talking about something perhaps a little too in-depth, they will say, "We're getting a little inside baseball here" or something like that. All this time I assumed there was some popular show about baseball called Inside Baseball and this was a reference to that somehow, but it just comes from 1950s political slang.

What! I've been imagining some decades-old show called Inside Baseball. With a bunch of late middle aged guys smoking pipes while discussing McDichael's bat-strike returnage rate or something.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
As someone who read a lot of Heinlein as a teen, looking back, I'd say that Heinlein's politics are too ill-formed and poorly-thought-out to make that strong of a statement about. Heinlein wasn't really a libertarian. Some of his work makes it seem that way, but taken as a whole, his body of work doesn't really have coherent politics. Honestly I think "centrist liberal" describes him better, even though that libertarian poo poo is still there in places. But he's mostly what you got when a somewhat left-leaning guy buys into a bunch of WW2 and Cold War propaganda.

In his most famous and influential book, Stranger in a Strange Land, the hero starts an idealistic free-love hippie commune, and the villain is an evangelical megachurch. In The Moon is a Harsh Mistress the heroes foment a worker's revolution against the corrupt bourgeois government, straight out of the Marxist-Leninist playbook (but couched in the language of libertarianism and not communism because, as mentioned, he bought into cold war propaganda really hard and didn't understand what "communism" means). In Time Enough for Love, the main character, blessed with extreme longevity, marries a young woman who he had adopted and raised as a daughter. And in Starship Troopers, the main character accepts uncritically the propaganda of a flagrantly fascist government. So, that's all four corners of the political compass right there.

It's also worth noting that libertarianism in his time, or at least the flavor that he seemed to subscribed to, is a lot different from the "corporations are people and should have the right to murder me" style of modern libertarianism. He really did believe in freedom, for others as well as himself, and was pro-LGBTQ+ rights and kinda feminist (in a way that, today, would be considered archaic and backward, but he was doing a lot better than the society around him at the time). And, well, idk if anyone can really decipher what he was trying to say in Farnham's Freehold but I think he was trying to be anti-racist (that book is really bad imo).

Definitely don't read Starship Troopers, but I still think that some of his work is redeemable, mainly the short stories and some of the young adult novels. And his importance to the history of sci-fi cannot be denied. In conclusion, Heinlein is a land of contrasts.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah but there's a lot of creeps from that era who are champions of sexual identity politics because they wanted to have sexual relations with teenagers not because they were at the stonewall riots.

DontMockMySmock posted:

In Time Enough for Love, the main character, blessed with extreme longevity, marries a young woman who he had adopted and raised as a daughter.

Case in point lmao

Dude isn't left leaning. He's at best a Get Out horrorshow-lib with a penchant for writing alternative works of fiction extolling the virtues of libertarianism and fascism and pondering the sexual relationship his characters have with their children.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Nov 9, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah but there's a lot of creeps from that era who are champions of sexual identity politics because they wanted to have sexual relations with teenagers not because they were at the stonewall riots.

Case in point lmao

Dude isn't left leaning. He's at best a Get Out horrorshow-lib with a penchant for writing alternative works of fiction extolling the virtues of libertarianism and fascism and pondering the sexual relationship his characters have with their children.

Also the bit in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress where the protagonist falls in love with a girl who couldn’t be any older than 12 and immediately brings her into his group marriage thing.

edit: my god this is the worst derail I am so sorry

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Nov 9, 2022

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bargearse posted:

Also the bit in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress where the protagonist falls in love with a girl who couldn’t be any older than 12 and immediately brings her into his group marriage thing.

edit: my god this is the worst derail I am so sorry

To clarify, the twelve-year-old character is adopted by the main character and his family, and marries someone(s) else later in the book (I don't think she's still 12 at that point but she's probably not 18, so there's still a "yikes" there). The main character falls in love with, and brings into his group marriage, a different (adult) character.

But yeah Time Enough for Love is usually my go-to when I have to explain that Heinlein had some hosed up sexual politics. Besides marrying a woman that he had adopted as a child, he also has a sexual relationship with his mother (time travel is involved, it occurs when his non-time-travelled self is about five years old), he facilitates a sexual relationship between twin siblings, and he has a sexual relationship with two gender-swapped clones of himself who are (iirc) 15 years old at the time. Heinlein pretty much went off the deep end with that book, and all of his books he wrote after that are incredibly terrible as well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The very first grown-up novel I read was The Door Into Summer. I remember having to write a book report, and most of the kids were doing like sixth grade level poo poo, but Starship Troopers the film came out and the book was by my favorite author so like ten year-old me or whatever age you are in sixth grade, I'm like gently caress yeah this is going to be rad! And like, the first chapter is really rad! And then... --space-fascism and military wank essay

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And, in the end, you didn't want to learn more.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The reason why the word 'fence' can refer to both a pallisade or to swordplay is because they are both derived from the Latin for 'defence'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What about someone who buys and sells stolen goods?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

FreudianSlippers posted:

What about someone who buys and sells stolen goods?

Sense of "dealer in stolen goods" is thieves' slang, first attested c. 1700, from notion of such transactions taking place under defense of secrecy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don’t buy stolen goods, go and see defense

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Splendid posted:

Sense of "dealer in stolen goods" is thieves' slang, first attested c. 1700, from notion of such transactions taking place under defense of secrecy.
huh I always figured it was cockney rhyming slang or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't go in for all those fency words

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DontMockMySmock posted:

To clarify, the twelve-year-old character is adopted by the main character and his family, and marries someone(s) else later in the book (I don't think she's still 12 at that point but she's probably not 18, so there's still a "yikes" there). The main character falls in love with, and brings into his group marriage, a different (adult) character.

But yeah Time Enough for Love is usually my go-to when I have to explain that Heinlein had some hosed up sexual politics. Besides marrying a woman that he had adopted as a child, he also has a sexual relationship with his mother (time travel is involved, it occurs when his non-time-travelled self is about five years old), he facilitates a sexual relationship between twin siblings, and he has a sexual relationship with two gender-swapped clones of himself who are (iirc) 15 years old at the time. Heinlein pretty much went off the deep end with that book, and all of his books he wrote after that are incredibly terrible as well.

It took me a while to figure out that the Ethan Hawke movie Predestination was based on Heinlein but I pieced it together. Something called All You Zombies. It's the most incestual story ever I guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The movies a mindfuck. Actually pretty good if pretty expositiony. A lot better than actual heinlein though the weird creepy stuff obviously is still there

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It took me a while to figure out that the Ethan Hawke movie Predestination was based on Heinlein but I pieced it together. Something called All You Zombies. It's the most incestual story ever I guess.

I read All You Zombies ages ago and thought I remembered it being more of a satire extending that creepier side of the genre to a bizarre degree. But nope, guess it was just one of the true creeps after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's the most incestual story ever I guess.

I'd argue it's more masturbatory than incestuous.