Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

That Old Ganon posted:

Would I be able to finagle your watermelon jam and jelly recipes from you?

i used https://foodinjars.com/recipe/watermelon-jelly-recipe/ and for the jelly version i just strained the juice before cooking

it doesn't remove a whole lot of pulp, but it certainly shows in the end result

e to add - it's very tasty, i've been enjoying in on sourdough toast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Captainsalami posted:

i'm gonna do some home canning of some home made pizza sauce today. how long do you think jars of tomatoes and herbs should be marked for? i dunno the longevity of this stuff. Also most recipes i'm finding have you adding lemon juice to the cans but are just hot water baths. Can that be omitted if i'm pressure canning?

Having been through this recently with some salsa: every recipe I was able to find online that deals with canning tomatoes assumes you will be hot water bath canning. Those recipes therefore need to make sure the pH is low enough (i.e. acidic enough) to prevent botulism from growing. Pressure canning doesn't need the acidity of course, but I was unable to find parameters for how long to can non-acidic tomatoes, and at what level of pressure, to make them safe. So what I ended up doing was just using the settings my canning book recommended for canning meat, which (for my altitude) was something like 90 minutes at 10 pounds. This is almost certainly overkill, but better safe than sorry.

My canning book did have a recipe for tomatoes in a pressure canner, mind you. It just also assumed enough acidity was present to use hot water bath-equivalent canning parameters, i.e. only enough heat to kill off everything that isn't botulism.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

made some bread and butter pickles. i am trying out using calcium chloride to help crisp them. it adds some extra saltiness to it but i think it might be worth it to be crispy

also made some peach basil jam. i left the (very thin) skins on the peaches which gave it a nice color. i just had some on toast and it was excellent

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

as I'm preparing to process some green tomato relish in these neat thrift store jars, i have a question

how do you all get bubbles out? i have a very hard time with it, esp with thick stuff like this relish

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

as I'm preparing to process some green tomato relish in these neat thrift store jars, i have a question

how do you all get bubbles out? i have a very hard time with it, esp with thick stuff like this relish

We have like an extremely silly tiny sized scraper to get into little jars. We also usually use straight sided jars....not uh....extremely helpful.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've only ever heard of using a chopstick, but I'm going to be getting a set of kitchen tweezers for the sake of toying around with these kinds of things.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Steel chopsticks are what I use, because they are easy to clean.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I bought a set like this and it comes with a headspace measuring tool, which doubles as a jar-debubbler. Chopsticks work just fine though; no reason to spend money on this thing unless you need the other parts of the set. :shrug:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

ooh, that is a neat tool! i also have trouble judging headspace. i already have a lifter and a big funnel though so i'd need to find one on its own. last night i was wondering if it would be so hard for the jars to have marks on them...?

i currently use wooden skewers for my bubble-popping but it is not terribly efficient. i might try a tiny scraper since i've been considering buying some for bottle-scraping purposes anyway.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
You can definitely buy the headspace tool separately if you need it. Should be around $5 online, less if you don't get the name brand thing.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was able to get out of a two year canning slump last night by making Cabernet jelly. It got sloppy at the end because I didn't realize I was missing the grabby thing for the jars, the magnet for the lids, and the funnel, so I had to improvise.

I also forgot to taste it, lmao. I was more focused on cleaning up the mess it made. The wine itself was actually pretty nice, and this is coming from someone who hates alcohol.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Arkhamina posted:

Can't speak to the specific science, but in general, canned (home or store process) food doesn't go bad for a few years, it just loses nutrients. I have absolutely eaten my own tomato products 3 years later and didn't notice a different. I believe meat sauces are a year?

The oldest I've eaten was a pitless cherry preserve at 16 years in the jar. It lost its red color and was looking brown, but still had cherry flavour intact.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The store had cranberries out! I had to throw away a lot of gross ones but hopefully I have enough good ones around to get some lactofermentation going for pickled cranberries. I'm using this recipe again, but only added one clove bud this time. I learned my lesson!

Also trying out the Pickle Pusher, which completely solved my issue last year with floating berries.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’ve done the too many cloves thing. One definitely only does it once.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Arkhamina posted:

Hit the farmers market yesterday morning, found my lady who sells the less pretty beets in ice cream buckets: 3 buckets, no greens, 20 pounds for $15! Those will be today's canning project. Also loaded up on peppers for my favorite spicy treat. https://www.food.com/recipe/candied-jalapeno-or-cowboy-candy-453141

With cowboy candy (candied hot peppers!) - it always ends up with way more syrup, at the end which is fantastic on meat.

I started out with about 9lbs of peppers: jalapenos, cayennes, and hot Hungarian. Took me and hour to slice them.

Made a double batch of the syrup, and simmered them in batches. Stuffed into half pint jars, used a chopstick to poke out bubbles, and sealed. Processed 10 minutes. 17 1/2 pint jars all in all. (I give a fair amount of them as gifts!)

I also canned 5 half pints of the left over syrup too!

Love this time of year. Posting while waiting for the beets to cook after peeling them all. Spicy pickles beets incoming!

I made the cowboy candy today using three lbs of peppers i grew

i ended up with five pints of peppers and only an ounce of leftover syrup. not sure how i managed that as i followed the instructions carefully :shrug:

used that dab of syrup as a tater tot dip this evening. Mr. Glompton and i liked it a lot. looking forward to having some peppers later

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
It's that time of year again!

Fresh, locally sourced apples, ready to go for homemade apple butter!

I think I've posted a few pics in prior years, but we're doing it again!

Annath fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 29, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
A bear moved into the neighbourhood and has been harvesting unpicked fruit trees so we stopped procrastinating and picked our winter apples. Not great varieties but we're set for soft mulled cider and juice for canning other fruit next summer. 48 litres and only one lid didn't seal. :toot:

We've been using reusable Tattler lids on wide mouth mason jars for the last couple of summers. So far the failure rate isn't any worse than conventional metal lids so we'll probably start switching standard masons over to the plastic lids. Other than needing to carefully follow instructions the only problem we've run into is a few jars that have a threaded neck that's slightly shorter than most. Not much, but just enough to prevent them from torquing down properly. They're pretty obvious when you're doing the initial tightening once you know what to look for. Short threaded neck on the left under a metal lid.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

effika posted:

The store had cranberries out! I had to throw away a lot of gross ones but hopefully I have enough good ones around to get some lactofermentation going for pickled cranberries. I'm using this recipe again, but only added one clove bud this time. I learned my lesson!

Also trying out the Pickle Pusher, which completely solved my issue last year with floating berries.

And here they are 4 weeks later! The recipe says 3 weeks, but 4 weeks is fine. They single clove was definitely a better choice - these are far less medicinal than last year's batch! Tangy with notes of cinnamon, ginger, and citrus, plus that fun CO2 tingle.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

those sound nice. I should try that, i am not fermenting anything at the moment

effika
Jun 19, 2005
It's a delicious way to use up an extra bag of cranberries! The only fiddly part is piercing each cranberry.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Are there quart mason jars that you can use for canning and that are also built more robustly than the standard Bell jar? I've had a couple of quart jars crack on me in the freezer, even though I'm being careful not to fill them too much, and I'm wondering if they'd do a better job of surviving if the glass was a bit thicker.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Freezer caps help. But the big quarts just aren’t great for it. The tall 1.5 points say not to freeze but I haven’t had one break yet. Bigger than that I goto freeze bags laid flat.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is my fermentation ruined or is this yeast? I think the bubbler had a loose connection in the fermentation jar seal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't think that yeast gets fuzzy like that. I think your fermentation is ruined. :(

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Skim that off and see how it goes. A bit of floating growth is normal. Just use a clean spoon to get it out. This is another reason I like crocks easier to skim.

Edit is that under the brine? if that’s the case yeah it’s probably bad.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Skim that off and see how it goes. A bit of floating growth is normal. Just use a clean spoon to get it out. This is another reason I like crocks easier to skim.

Edit is that under the brine? if that’s the case yeah it’s probably bad.

Yeah it's well under the brine :(

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yep it’s done.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I would like to ask for a moment of silence in this trying time. 2 weeks down the drain.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just started my first ferment in well over a year. Hope the gallon of giardiniera turns out.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
It feels weird to be talking about YOGURT in the jam thread but here we are.

I got tired of paying $7 per litre for Skyr so I ordered live cultures and am on the journey to make my own. This, along with the whole kombucha and pickle problem, will likely be what moves us out of our tiny apartment and into a bigger one.

We need more fridge space.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've heard that yogurt is really easy to make, but I've never tried, myself. Let us know how it goes!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

we make yogurt and it's super easy, esp with an Instant Pot. it really helps to get some good cheese cloth so you can strain it well. we've let it hang overnight to get a really nice texture.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
My wife was watching me this weekend make kefir while she was making yogurt: "Uhh, you're not measuring anything?"

"Nope. Dump a bunch of milk into the fermentation jar, throw in the kefir grains, cap it off and put it in a dark cupboard for a day or two. This stuff is barely domesticated."

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I use paper coffee filters (3) in colander, lightly overlapping. I made drip coffee like once every 3 months, and the unbleached filters came in a 500 pack, so I have a lifetime supply. We make about 3/4 Gallon milk into yogurt every other week with the instant pot. Jam that didn't set right makes great 'fruit on the bottom ' yogurt, as a note. As comedy, if you forget you're draining they whey, you get what is basically cream cheese consistency yogurt. I have used an immersion blender to rehydrate it a bit. I am easily distracted!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

That sounds amazing. My favorite is super thick yoggies and my partner doesn't really care.

I'll make the first batch tomorrow and let y'all know how it goes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Update: yoghurt making worked really well.

I've made two batches: one with whole milk and another, larger batch, with skim milk. The second batch incubated longer (12h compared to 8h) and I gave it more culture (fresh and freeze-dried) which helped with the consistency because I realized that bags of milk are not 1 litre (because why would they be???) and actually contain 1.3L each.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

luscious posted:

Update: yoghurt making worked really well.

I've made two batches: one with whole milk and another, larger batch, with skim milk. The second batch incubated longer (12h compared to 8h) and I gave it more culture (fresh and freeze-dried) which helped with the consistency because I realized that bags of milk are not 1 litre (because why would they be???) and actually contain 1.3L each.

How to know you're from eastern Canada in 3 words. 4l in 3 bags, am I right?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Is there anything I can do with the left overs from making grape juice besides composting? The rest of my stuff in this current batch of canning either doesn't leave any waste, or I already have something to do with it, but for this I have somehow entirely failed to Google the phrase that would give me an answer.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The leftovers are called "grape must" so try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

SpannerX posted:

How to know you're from eastern Canada in 3 words. 4l in 3 bags, am I right?

Lol I figured someone would catch it.

I ended up with 2L of yoghurt from 5.3L of skim milk. I saved 2L of whey. Not bad for milk that was 50% off!