Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Trumpet Cumsock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Trumpet Cumsock

Trumpet FinTok

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

gabensraum posted:

I had an internal 14.4k modem on a Pentium 75, and when I upgraded to an internal 33.6k card the computer would slow down whenever it connected because it was one of those that used the host cpu (which i didn't understand at the time).

thought i was forever stuck on 14.4 until i got an external 56k and of course had no problems.

I still have an old 56k USR external despite not having POTS service for over a decade. Wishful thinking that it might someday be useful with some dreadfully old and remote something kept it from being pruned.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

god, softmodems were the loving worst

i remember dropping over a hundred bucks on a pci hardware modem my senior year of high school

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I used to connect to two of my friends BBS’s with a 2400 baud modem in my LEADING EDGE 386sx. They both lived like two blocks away lol. enough users connected to them that we had a get together and played volleyball at a local park. this was in 1995 probably and it taught me never to meet people I met online IRL.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

god, softmodems were the loving worst

i remember dropping over a hundred bucks on a pci hardware modem my senior year of high school

yea they sucked rear end. one of the first things i ever bought off of ebay (also in hs) was a us robotics 56k modem.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Trumpet Cumsock

I stopped paying attention to the cyberpunk name thread but :wow:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I used to connect to two of my friends BBS’s with a 2400 baud modem in my LEADING EDGE 386sx. They both lived like two blocks away lol. enough users connected to them that we had a get together and played volleyball at a local park. this was in 1995 probably and it taught me never to meet people I met online IRL.

i've always been jealous of people who had a local bbs growing up. anything interesting was a long distance call away. played the poo poo out of command and conquer via direct modem connection though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
christ there were like 70 BBSes in local distance when i got into the game (91ish?) and even when we moved to a small town in arkansas (35-40k) there were about six full time boards, one of them with four lines and a bunch of qwk networks and games

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Arson Daily posted:

case built so cheaply with unfinished sheet metal call it bleeding edge

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man i was a dumbass kid who didn't know about BBSs, i wish i had, i bet there were at least a few in my area

also weirdly i had like the one winmodem that worked pretty well. i remember scoring a used USR external modem later on and it didn't really give me any improvement over the winmodem. but maybe it's because i had a p2-350 with a hell of a lot more spare cycles for doing modem poo poo than that one person's p75 lol

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I remember helping my one friend set up the BBS software (WWIV) on his terrible Wang 286 that didn't have a hard disk which meant learning a ton of DOS stuff to get it to run the WWIV program off a floppy. it was all pretty basic but we felt like such 1137 hackers when we got it running. he even had a second phone line run to his room that he paid for with lawn mowing money so people could call in without tying up his parents line.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wwiv was my software of choice, it was way sicker than poo poo like wildcat or tribbs or w/e

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

every BBS number i could find back in the day was long distance. this would've been probably 1994, so a bit after BBSes heyday

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i remember spending like two weeks talking to the phone company about how to localize my number in an area code where i could get a 9600 baud connection to Delphi and figuring out if it would save me any money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i remember using some weird, free doctors-only bbs called "physicians on-line". the name is about all i remember about it though :smith:

however i do clearly remember using a white 9600 baud usrobotics sportster to dial in

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jonny 290 posted:

wwiv was my software of choice, it was way sicker than poo poo like wildcat or tribbs or w/e

RENEGADE BBS supremacy. that software was excellent.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

man i was a dumbass kid who didn't know about BBSs, i wish i had, i bet there were at least a few in my area

also weirdly i had like the one winmodem that worked pretty well. i remember scoring a used USR external modem later on and it didn't really give me any improvement over the winmodem. but maybe it's because i had a p2-350 with a hell of a lot more spare cycles for doing modem poo poo than that one person's p75 lol

by the time I had a modem, the bbs days were nearly over. I called a couple and you could basically see the tumbleweed blowing through the empty streets. the only bbs service I ever used for more than a couple of minutes was dwango for playing multiplayer doom, and that was my "oh, numbers in the same area code can still be long distance" experience. It was only a $15 mistake though, not like those people in the really early days who ran up $500 phone bills because long distance could still cost $1 a minute in some cases

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

i remember using some weird, free doctors-only bbs called "physicians on-line". the name is about all i remember about it though :smith:

however i do clearly remember using a white 9600 baud usrobotics sportster to dial in

there was a !!!! toll free, no-fees !!!! BBS called BARK. Hundreds of teens and 20somethings from all around America would log in and chat. lots and lots of interesting chitchat and it was my first real experience with online communication with folks outside of my area code

turns out it was actually bankrolled by Coca-Cola. I'm not sure if they were even swift enough to like, datamine it or whatever, or if somebody there just thought it was neat and talked their boss into rubber stamping a 1k/mo tollfree invoice

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pepsi world

maybe i'm misremembering or confusing it with something else (nintendo?) but i remember games and chat in the mid 90s

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

some dreamcast games had a little message if you popped it in a cd player. like i remember sonic adventure had sonic telling me not to do what i had already done, followed by extremely loud bits yelling at me for my intransigence :smith:

iirc there were some wallpapers and maybe a screensaver too

the wallpapers/screensaver type stuff is called "omake" (bonus/extra or similar) and sega did that a lot, if you check saturn or dreamcast discs in a pc they sometimes have stuff like wallpapers, screensavers, even music or videos and stuff on the disc

edit - sometimes removed from the us versions tho as sometimes the included pics get a little too horny

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

pepsi world

maybe i'm misremembering or confusing it with something else (nintendo?) but i remember games and chat in the mid 90s

there was an era when every ~brand~ thought they had to provide a front to back online experience. I remember visiting a chat room and downloading a sonic the hedgehog knockoff game for lifesavers candy of all things.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
candystand.com

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

as of 2021, AOL still had 1.5 million people paying $15 or $20 a month for dialup access

no mention of how many actually use it though, so probably a lot of old people still paying for it on top of cable/dsl/fiber because they don't know any better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

two things:

1) AOL still exists?

2) They still offer dial up?

e: yes to both apparently https://getonline.aol.com/dialup

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

holy poo poo, aol has both a dedicated ppp dialer and a full desktop client still

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how did bbs actually work? was everyone's connection like normally closed and would just connect when they posted or pulled, or was the phone line somehow multiplexing a bunch of people constantly connected to the system?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

as of 2021, AOL still had 1.5 million people paying $15 or $20 a month for dialup access

no mention of how many actually use it though, so probably a lot of old people still paying for it on top of cable/dsl/fiber because they don't know any better

i always love any business that makes good, non-excessive, money by simply keeping on keeping on. do some work to not bother people and you're due a buck.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

how did bbs actually work? was everyone's connection like normally closed and would just connect when they posted or pulled, or was the phone line somehow multiplexing a bunch of people constantly connected to the system?

a single number can be assigned to multiple lines. at the low end that might look like a copper pair per circuit going to a bank of modems. at the high end it might look like a pri terminating at a bank of modems

my first time seeing that was a local hardware store instead of a bbs -- they had 3 lines, each with a physical phone on the wall. if you called and the first line was busy, it would ring through to the 2nd, then 3rd.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

we should bring back dial-in bbses

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

we should bring back dial-in bbses

acoustic couplers for cell phones

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

Simultaneous users were limited to how many phone lines and modems they had. The small hobbyist ones hosted in someone's basement could just support one user at a time. You would dial in, read/leave messages, maybe download or upload a file and then get off so other people could use it.

Eventually, BBSes started using things like fidonet, which was a store-and-forward system that let users of a local BBS chat and email users of other BBSes in the network. Every so often, one BBS would connect with another to upload/download new messages and could do so at some time when phone rates were cheap, like email/usenet but slower and with a manual component.

The rise of the BBS and dial-up ISP basically upended the phone company's network design, because they had formulas for determining how much capacity was needed based the average line being used for X calls lasting Y minutes per day. When modems came along in the 80s and 90s, suddenly a lot of people started tying up the phone lines for multiple hours.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
When I was BBSin' I really wanted a Practical Periferals MC288LCD which was this tower shaped external modem with a fuckin LCD screen. I dunno what I thought it would do for me but I still remember it.

Now the only record of its existence is the odd ebay listing and it doesn't seem quite as cool any more...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2655740010...emis&media=COPY

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there was an era when every ~brand~ thought they had to provide a front to back online experience. I remember visiting a chat room and downloading a sonic the hedgehog knockoff game for lifesavers candy of all things.

brb i need to talk to mick gordon about doing the soundtrack for my incredibly gritty reboot of Chex Quest

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the burger king Sneak King xbox game was an amazing piece of marketing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this was an xbox game you got free with a Whopper combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7i-X1F5Zk

EDIT: ok i guess it was $4 but still

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

does somethingawful have an aol keyword?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

psiox posted:

brb i need to talk to mick gordon about doing the soundtrack for my incredibly gritty reboot of Chex Quest

Fun fact: the Chex Quest CDs were pressed for free by AOL, because they were allowed to include their 50 free hour demo on them

The days when you could practically build a house out of all of those "10/20/30/40/50 free hours" AOL disks and CDs. I'd love to know just how many cubic meters of landfill are consumed by all of that e-waste that will probably never decompose. At least you could reuse the floppy disks, the CDs just went straight into the trash or were destroyed in creative ways (drill, hammer, targets, etc…)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Fun fact: the Chex Quest CDs were pressed for free by AOL, because they were allowed to include their 50 free hour demo on them

The days when you could practically build a house out of all of those "10/20/30/40/50 free hours" AOL disks and CDs. I'd love to know just how many cubic meters of landfill are consumed by all of that e-waste that will probably never decompose. At least you could reuse the floppy disks, the CDs just went straight into the trash or were destroyed in creative ways (drill, hammer, targets, etc…)

freshman year of college we cleaned compusa's entire stockpile of aol cds out for a midnight hallway disc war in the engineering building.

that group of friends destroyed a *lot* of hardware at school. in retrospect the janitors must have hated us because there's no way we got all the bits of electronics that flew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

this was an xbox game you got free with a Whopper combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7i-X1F5Zk

EDIT: ok i guess it was $4 but still

i still have this. you could play it on xbox and xbox 360, poo poo was ahead of its time