Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That kitty rules. A cruise line used to pay me to put on a uniform with bowtie and drink cocktails with snooty passengers during sail away evening. They're the simplest thing to tie, once you figure out how to properly set the length.
But tieing things around one's throat is a foolish custom, regardless of style. Especially when you're giving them booze.

Edit: better quote that cat

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Counterpoint: Here's my loving cat with a bowtie.

Your move anti-bowtie people :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My Halloween costume was Fred Jones, turns out tying an ascot is just like tying a tie except you skip half a step at the end.

It was surprising how good it felt/looked but I'm not gonna be the ascot guy either

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FFT posted:

My Halloween costume was Fred Jones, turns out tying an ascot is just like tying a tie except you skip half a step at the end.

It was surprising how good it felt/looked but I'm not gonna be the ascot guy either

Ascot these balls

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/gabehudson/status/1590483491976007680

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How many permabanned poo poo posters have we had that spent hundreds of dollars on new accounts? and then imagine a potential audience an order of magnitude larger to poo poo post at.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Even the least trustworthy cat is better than the average person.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So we have no love for good rear end post anymore?

I guess the hardcore anarcho-hyper-x-communists have won.

Wrap it up,folks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had a friend who wanted to insist I pronounce Louisville "lullavull" which yes I understand is how it's pronounced by locals. I'm nor local to Kentucky, I'm like 600 miles from Kentucky. gently caress Kentucky.

Barcelona also has this problem.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

I feel like I'm having a stroke, but how is that any different than saying " burlin’." those both sound the same.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

TrekBek posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke, but how is that any different than saying " burlin’." those both sound the same.

Stressed, Unstressed, and Secondarily-Stressed Syllables

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

How many permabanned poo poo posters have we had that spent hundreds of dollars on new accounts? and then imagine a potential audience an order of magnitude larger to poo poo post at.
SA's system never ties purchaser data to a specific account. Hell, anonymously-bought redtexts are a tradition.

Presumably,Elon wouldn't make such a ahahahahaha sorry can't keep going

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

killa-pope posted:

So long as your pronunciation rhymed with Stewie not St Louis we can make peace.

But yes, gently caress that town and water tower it rode in on.
Stewie does rhyme with St. Louis. I call to witness "St. Louis Blues", or Walt Kelly's immortal

I was eatin' some chop suey
With a lady in St. Louis
When i sudden hears a knockin at the door.
And that knocker he says, "Honey,
Roll this rocker out some money,
Or your daddy shoots a baddie to the floor."

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Bowtie Rexie, who rocks 10,000 style points a night from bow ties, is an outlier and should not have been counted.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A lot of Canadian place names are often pronounced wrong.

Toronto is Tchrono

Calgary is Calgree

In Calgary there's a neighborhood called Marlborough that's pronounced slightly differently depending on the context.
You say MAR-bruh, but the 'bruh' is almost 2 syllables, or if it's the infamous shopping mall, it's Marbromall. Emphasis is either on the first or last syllable, but never the middle.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

TrekBek posted:

Try stretching the syllables: Behr-Lihn

Or look up JFK's "Ich bin ein Berliner", which Germans still make fun off, because in most places a Berliner is this:

Berliners the citizens call it a pancake though, which is objectively wrong. And the correct term is Kreppel, thank you very much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cloacamazing! posted:

Berliners the citizens call it a pancake though, which is objectively wrong. And the correct term is Kreppel, thank you very much.

Wh-

H-

How in God's name did Berliners start calling that a pancake?! It's... It's not made in a pan!!!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

5% what you say, 95% how you say it

"I am a jelly donut!" gets you raucous applause

dunno what calling a jelly donut a pancake gets you tho

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

We're not at addon phase yet but it's coming

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1590567939593605121

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/cumcommie3/status/1590537387184390145

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just because sex workers get hosed for money doesn't mean they want to get hosed by businesses.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Sex workers of any stripe whining about "leftists" never fails to be the dumbest thing imaginable. Total kapo move.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

A lot of Canadian place names are often pronounced wrong.

Toronto is Tchrono

Calgary is Calgree

In Calgary there's a neighborhood called Marlborough that's pronounced slightly differently depending on the context.
You say MAR-bruh, but the 'bruh' is almost 2 syllables, or if it's the infamous shopping mall, it's Marbromall. Emphasis is either on the first or last syllable, but never the middle.

Turrono

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What the gently caress?
https://twitter.com/SaeedDiCaprio/status/1590417798475714560?s=20&t=vX2NfRVq3IhnFNBX05suWQ

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Proletariat Pussy and Cum Commie are p good band names tho

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
But what do cumcommies 1 and 2 think?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How is no one the cummisar?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TrekBek posted:

BER-lin as opposed to ber-LIN

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

They see me burlin' they hatin'

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
In the context of what he was saying JFK was right, though. If he had been in Hamburg he would have said Hamburger.

It only seems like jelly doughnut if you were to stretch it to be like he said he was a Steamed Ham. It’s a regional thing.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Cloacamazing! posted:

Try stretching the syllables: Behr-Lihn

Or look up JFK's "Ich bin ein Berliner", which Germans still make fun off, because in most places a Berliner is this:

what do you think happens when someone in hamburg orders a hamburger? vore?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah from every actual contextual thing I've seen about that speech, nobody watching it thought it was funny or didn't get what he was saying. It was only, like, people trying to invent an own against him later, or people trying to show off their rudimentary German.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I think they felt bad about what happened to him later, when all the jelly came out :(

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The missed opportunity is doing it in Vienna, which is Wien (pronounced veen) and where we get the term “Wiener”.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

mrpwase posted:

I think they felt bad about what happened to him later, when all the jelly came out :(

Ah but in German that would be Marmelade.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Platystemon posted:

Barcelona also has this problem.

The natives call it bologna

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Queens Quay

Etobicoke

The Esplanade

Strachan

And the spelling of Yonge street.

I just assume all cities have a bunch of places pronounced stupidly for no reason. It's just just tohronnah, right?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In Dublin, we have Aungier Street (Aynger Street) and D'Olier Street (Duleer Street)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cocaine Bear posted:

Queens Quay

Etobicoke

The Esplanade

Strachan

And the spelling of Yonge street.

I just assume all cities have a bunch of places pronounced stupidly for no reason. It's just just tohronnah, right?

If I'm giving directions to someone from out of town I'll purposefully mispronounce Yonge the way it's spelled bc I know they'll waste all their time trying to find Young Street instead

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Philadelphia area has a lot of Native American names for areas and a lot of Welsh town names.
It's incredibly confusing to people coming in out of town.
I'm fairly certain the Welsh names are completely mangled. (I live in Upper Gwynedd, which is Gwen-id, I recently learned it should be pronounced more like Gwyneth).
I think the toughest Native one is Conshohocken (It's pronounced like it's spelled. Con-show-hock-en but seeing it for the first time is shocking). There's also Passyunk Avenue (which you need to know if you're trying to find the 2 tourist cheesesteak places. Pash-unk.

We also have the Schuylkill River, which I thought was native but is actually Dutch in origin. Skoo-kill.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah 'dd' is a 'th' like sound in Welsh.

I'm gonna have to look these places now. I didn't know Welsh had ever actually escaped Wales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Tract
Go nuts. Assuming you're Welsh, how is Uwchlan supposed to be pronounced.
Trigger Warning for possibly mangled Welsh
Yuke-Lin

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah 'dd' is a 'th' like sound in Welsh.

I'm gonna have to look these places now. I didn't know Welsh had ever actually escaped Wales.