Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

It’s coming up on Remembrance Sunday and the gammons are out in force:

Ten pounds says this guy isn’t allowed to see his grandchildren any more, because of ‘The Incident’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah 'dd' is a 'th' like sound in Welsh.

I'm gonna have to look these places now. I didn't know Welsh had ever actually escaped Wales.

There's a Welsh speaking community in Patagonia, Argentina founded during the 19th Century when the government were trying to stamp out the language.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Efb

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twitter blue, contrary to the name, is not twitter but sexual.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Drinkslinger posted:

Ten pounds says this guy isn’t allowed to see his grandchildren any more, because of ‘The Incident’

Back when we had massive public sector investment and were actively killing Nazis, yeah, sounds good to me mate

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Skwirl posted:

How many permabanned poo poo posters have we had that spent hundreds of dollars on new accounts? and then imagine a potential audience an order of magnitude larger to poo poo post at.

I've seen like five Seraph alts in the last week or two alone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AFewBricksShy posted:

The Philadelphia area has a lot of Native American names for areas and a lot of Welsh town names.
It's incredibly confusing to people coming in out of town.
I'm fairly certain the Welsh names are completely mangled. (I live in Upper Gwynedd, which is Gwen-id, I recently learned it should be pronounced more like Gwyneth).
I think the toughest Native one is Conshohocken (It's pronounced like it's spelled. Con-show-hock-en but seeing it for the first time is shocking). There's also Passyunk Avenue (which you need to know if you're trying to find the 2 tourist cheesesteak places. Pash-unk.

We also have the Schuylkill River, which I thought was native but is actually Dutch in origin. Skoo-kill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Tract
Go nuts. Assuming you're Welsh, how is Uwchlan supposed to be pronounced.
Trigger Warning for possibly mangled Welsh
Yuke-Lin

It's more like "CON-shuh-HA(w)-ken" and "SKOO-kl" - you really swallow the last bit on that last one, just try to cut all the vowels out and go right from the k to the l.

But yeah Dutch and Welsh immigrants mangling Lenape words, and then a couple decades later their great-grandkids deciding to honor their ancestors by renaming everything Welsh names but horribly mispronouncing them.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My favorite pronunciation shibboleths are the ones in Boston, because half the stuff seems like it's obvious unless you're from here.

Haverhill is HAY-vrille.

Worcester is Woh-ster.

Tremont (as in the reletively well-known street downtown) is treh-mohnt.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shrewsbury. No, not like 'shrew'.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“In Long Island” die and be dead

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I live Bala Cynwyd. Most people unfamiliar with it pronounce it “Bala Sinwid” but it’s pronounced “Bala Kinwood”. I believe in Welsh it’s actually pronounced “Bahla Kahnwed”. There’s a street in this town called “Llandrillo” which no matter how you pronounce it you’re wrong

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Drinkslinger posted:

What are the odds those are actually Polish spitfires? It’s a long running thing that boomer memes that get all nostalgic over the Battle of Britain whilst being simultaneously xenophobic use Polish spitfires.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
It's spelled Raymond Luxury Yacht but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scratch Monkey posted:

I live Bala Cynwyd. Most people unfamiliar with it pronounce it “Bala Sinwid” but it’s pronounced “Bala Kinwood”. I believe in Welsh it’s actually pronounced “Bahla Kahnwed”. There’s a street in this town called “Llandrillo” which no matter how you pronounce it you’re wrong

Bah-lah Kin-wid. Y as a vowel is just a short i.

The Ll is a distinct letter in the Welsh language. Like a 'th' but further back instead of the tip of your tongue (not as far back as the throaty 'ch' though). Every town near me (actual Wales) is a Llan- meaning the church/parish.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's more like "CON-shuh-HA(w)-ken" and "SKOO-kl" - you really swallow the last bit on that last one, just try to cut all the vowels out and go right from the k to the l.

You're correct about Schuylkill, I definitely typed out the wrong sound for the end of that one, but I definitely don't say Hawk-en. I grew up near Valley Forge though, so it might depend on the region.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What? Why would sex workers buy the checkmark? I mean I don't know why anyone would unless they want to do this

https://twitter.com/ChrisDeLeon/status/1590568878241116160

Also, and unrelated because this a real thing that happened

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1590704635433844737

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

It's spelled Raymond Luxury Yacht but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.

I want to be on television!

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

I guess after operating in the American south for so long, KFC was surprised to find out that Germany isn’t also proud of its “heritage”.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Cheesy Chicken is extremely not kosher.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cool Dad posted:

What? Why would sex workers buy the checkmark? I mean I don't know why anyone would unless they want to do this

It's so their posts don't completely disappear because of the algorithm. Like, I get it, but getting mad at people pushing back against pay-for-Twitter because of it is pretty dumb

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Idea to save Twitter: ban everyone except sex workers

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Heath posted:

:hmmyes:

hosed up that this approach would have payment processors and advertisers flee from Twitter faster than they’re doing so now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

What are the odds those are actually Polish spitfires? It’s a long running thing that boomer memes that get all nostalgic over the Battle of Britain whilst being simultaneously xenophobic use Polish spitfires.

I did try to look it up and they don't seem to be using 303 squadron markings at least.

sassassin posted:

Like a 'th' but further back instead of the tip of your tongue (not as far back as the throaty 'ch' though).

Try as I might I just can not get this right, I always end up doing ch or th.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Many years ago I had it explained to me that "ll" was pronounced "cl". Apparently I was misinformed. Which is great, I was never able to convince myself that calling someone "Cloyd" was right

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like a more breathy version of that. I've heard people do it a bunch I just can't replicate it consistently.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Pissing off everyone at the table by insisting it's called Hhchlanowar Elves

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Many years ago I had it explained to me that "ll" was pronounced "cl". Apparently I was misinformed. Which is great, I was never able to convince myself that calling someone "Cloyd" was right

It's like a "th" sound if you run your breath through the sides of your mouth rather than the front.

dd is the same but voiced.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

'th' is loving trash poo poo from an arse and should be abolished.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tenebrais posted:

It's like a "th" sound if you run your breath through the sides of your mouth rather than the front.

dd is the same but voiced.

Huh. I was taught (in a class on the Mabinogion, in translation) that "hl" was a pretty good approximation. The sides of the mouth thing makes so much sense.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

'th' is loving trash poo poo from an arse and should be abolished.

Suck my þick one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Languages are fun

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
þeh

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
The true bastard problem language is obviously English which incorporates everything it comes in contact with, but misspelled and pronounced wrong.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

dialhforhero posted:

Ah but in German that would be Marmelade.

Konfitüre

I don't care that I'm the only person who uses that word, I will fight for it.

(Marmelade is like the English marmelade, only used for citrus fruits. Jelly is Gelee and Jam should be Konfitüre, except for the part where everybody calls it Marmelade)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Here they make a desert and call it peace

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

AFewBricksShy posted:

Passyunk Avenue

Daaaaamn that Passy unk

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

In biology, this is known as the bottleneck effect. It would serve to either lead to the extinction of Twitter as a result of its loss of biodiversity and foundation species, or it would lead to the sex workers eventually evolving to take back up those niches vacated by the mass die-off.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In economics, Musk is soon to be known as an extinction event

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok because someone mentioned it again and I love our city's insane accent, Passyunk is pashunk, but it's pronounced almost like "passion" but you end it with unk instead of in, and you end it really hard like the word just fell into a dumpster, and you can kinda linger on the "pah" part just slightly too long.

The author is Walt Whitman, but the bridge is the wallwomen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok because someone mentioned it again and I love our city's insane accent, Passyunk is pashunk, but it's pronounced almost like "passion" but you end it with unk instead of in, and you end it really hard like the word just fell into a dumpster, and you can kinda linger on the "pah" part just slightly too long.

The author is Walt Whitman, but the bridge is the wallwomen.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Daaaaamn that Passy unk