Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This is a good primer on sous vide brisket, basically any time you have a question about how to sous vide a cut of meat, the best place to start is by googling "kenji sous vide [meat cut]"

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe

You can obviously adapt it how you like, but the info on cooking times and temps is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

swickles posted:

This is a good primer on sous vide brisket, basically any time you have a question about how to sous vide a cut of meat, the best place to start is by googling "kenji sous vide [meat cut]"

You can obviously adapt it how you like, but the info on cooking times and temps is solid.

I had read this before and was thinking of it for the 'how do I want it done' but couldn't remember how to find it, thanks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No problem. I recently did a brisket with that method. The trick is to let it set for a bit before taking it out of the bag, or even tossing it in a ice bath. Its a lot easier to handle when its cooler and won't fall apart as easily. I patted it dry, reapplied the rub, then tossed it in the oven for an hour.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I have a Weber Kettle and WSM 18 and I have smoked quite a few briskets the typical way, but I've always been interested in trying the method of actual smoking a brisket for 2-3 hours before the sous vide. It seems like you could get a pretty good combination of the two methods with only a little hands on work.

The main thing keeping me from trying it is I actually enjoy the full smoking experience.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
let's talk reusable bags... has anyone had any success with that? should I just pick up some of the foodsaver brand ones (they're running a buy-3-packs-get-3-packs free promo on their site right now)? Or are any of the other any better, either functionally or in terms of food safety/etc?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm intending to sous vide a beef roast for the first time and I'm undecided on what cut. I don't want to spend rib eye or fillet money so I may go for brisket. Might sound like a silly question but do I sear it after cooking? Because I presume brisket will have lost a degree of structural integrity by that point.

I used "top rump" (edit: looking at the beef cuts pictures on Wikipedia it looks like this would be called sirloin in the US). because it's what I found at the local lovely supermarket. I seasoned it and bagged it with some garlic and thyme, then cooked at 60C for 22 hours. I seared it afterwards and it turned out fantastic, the texture was really very good. The searing was unnecessary, though. When served with a jus and accountrements, I didn't even notice a sear.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

swickles posted:

I tried this recipe last month (did ~24h at 155) and it turned out really delicious.

Kenji's carnitas recipe is one I swear by too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Entropic posted:

I tried this recipe last month (did ~24h at 155) and it turned out really delicious.

Kenji's carnitas recipe is one I swear by too.

Saw this post yesterday and then saw $1.27/lb pork shoulder at the store this morning and now I have carnitas bathing at 145, it's kismet.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've made Kenji's, I've enjoyed it, but being from the UK I don't have a loving clue what carnitas is meant to be like since I've never been able to try it. So I don't even know if I did it right.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Saw this post yesterday and then saw $1.27/lb pork shoulder at the store this morning and now I have carnitas bathing at 145, it's kismet.

This poo poo was delicious, made some amazing tacos

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

This poo poo was delicious, made some amazing tacos

Haven’t tried it at 145, only 165. Can you give a personal comparison?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Did the serious eats turkey breast, gravy, and roasted cracklins again for this year's Thanksgiving.

Absolutely killer method to do turkey breast and of course so easy! This has been the third year in a row, and it gets requested heavily. No photos but certainly recommend!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

qutius posted:

Did the serious eats turkey breast, gravy, and roasted cracklins again for this year's Thanksgiving.

Absolutely killer method to do turkey breast and of course so easy! This has been the third year in a row, and it gets requested heavily. No photos but certainly recommend!

this was my second year in a row doing it, yeah it's the fuckin best. juiciest turkey :yum:

love the skin pieces too, goddamn. i did a bigger bird so i used my cooler to sous vide two bags. worked great.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Yesterday was a mess and I was going to make a chicken dish. I SV the chicken and was preparing the other parts of the meal when I realized we didn't have rice. No big deal I'll just let the bag cool and throw it in the fridge. Mean while I got busy working on a replacement.

Basically I forgot to throw the cooked chicken into the fridge and it just cooled down in the bath.

Is this safe to eat? like it is pasteurized. How is this any different than say canned chicken or tuna? Any issues with texture or safety I should consider before possible causing my whole family to die?

EDIT: Did some quick reading and looks like it's best to toss it because pasteurized (SV) != sterilized (canning)

2nd EDIT: The wife wouldn't even consider it lol. oh well. Thanks!

sterster fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 30, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, I'd see if it passes the sniff test and eat it but people have pretty strong opinions on food safety and the so called "danger zone".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They should do food safety studies on people with ADHD because the fraction of my meals that naturally return to ambient temperature before I finish (or start!) eating them has to be approaching a third.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I would not eat chicken that spent an entire day in a liquid bath at room temperature.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

They should do food safety studies on people with ADHD because the fraction of my meals that naturally return to ambient temperature before I finish (or start!) eating them has to be approaching a third.

That's not really an enormous issue with food safety. It takes time for the microbes to start producing toxins, so if you're not leaving things sit out on the counter uncooked for a couple hours you're going to be fine. If you're leaving tuna salad to sit out in the hot sun for four hours, you're probably going to run into some issues. If it's just 45-60 minutes between cooking and finishing your food you're not really sitting in a high risk zone. You take home food leftovers from a restaurant and they come down to ambient temp before you get them home anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I would not eat chicken that spent an entire day in a liquid bath at room temperature.

What if it was a big chest though, and actually at freezing temperatures? Some kind of, chest freezer, or something

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I finally got a sous vide machine after watching the Americas Test Kitchen segment reviewing different brands. I immediately bought some steak and went for it. 132 then a minute in each side to sear was a little too done for me, but drat they were some good steaks. Going closer to 125 next time.

I think this is going to be my winter weekend go to, like grilling is for summer. What should I try next? I have some salmon and moose in the freezer. Maybe pork butt tacos. I'm so excited.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On the steaks, don't forget you can also drop them in an ice bath after removing them from the sous vide to stop the cooking. That way you're not pushing it up too high when you go to sear.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, how are your searing? A minute each side seems a little long? I usually do 20 seconds a side on a ripping hot cast iron. I like to put my cast iron in the oven before putting it on the burner if I am using it so it really holds the heat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BigHead posted:

What should I try next? I have some salmon and moose in the freezer. Maybe pork butt tacos. I'm so excited.
Fish and poultry done s-v are generally crowd pleasers. In addition to what you get from doing any generic slab of animal protein s-v (simplicity and consistency), fish and poultry are things you can get a lot of different textures/mouthfeels when done s-v. And even if you're not into that (a lot of people get squicked out by fish and poultry that aren't roughly the same firmness you'd get out of cooking them via other methods), doing them s-v is much more forgiving than doing them in a pan or oven.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sous vide turkey breast was a revelation for me. I do it at 146f (so it looks cooked and doesn't squick out the guests).

edit: lol sub I hadn't read your post yet.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Forgot to share my sous vide helper

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife assures me that neither sous vide nor any other cooking technique is appropriate for cat.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BigHead posted:

I think this is going to be my winter weekend go to, like grilling is for summer. What should I try next? I have some salmon and moose in the freezer. Maybe pork butt tacos. I'm so excited.

I've always been a fan of kenji's carrots

quote:

Carrots not your thing? The following vegetables will do equally well with the exact same recipe:

Small onions (like cipollini or pearl onions), peeled
Small radishes, scrubbed of dirt and stems trimmed to 1/4 inch, or large radishes, cut into 1-inch pieces
Small turnips, peeled and stems trimmed to 1/4 inch, or large turnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
Parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
Baby artichokes, trimmed and quartered

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Forgot to get pictures (it disappeared pretty quick) but the chicken I did tonight turned out really well. Chicken breasts at 150 for a little over an hour with some lemon and rosemary in the bag, which I then tossed in a glaze reduction I made from orange juice, pomogranate molasses and a splash of grand marnier before finishing under the broiler with some steamed carrots I tossed in the same glaze. Served with mashed potatoes, it was a hit.

I suppose I could have done the carrots SV as well instead of steaming them, but I was boiling potatoes anyway so I just had them in a steaming basket above that pot.

I've never really bothered with SV veggies much, is it worth it on its own or is the kind of thing where if you've got the bath going for some meat anyway you might as well throw in a bag of seasoned carrots or something too?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Entropic posted:

I've never really bothered with SV veggies much, is it worth it on its own or is the kind of thing where if you've got the bath going for some meat anyway you might as well throw in a bag of seasoned carrots or something too?

You can only do sous vide veggies by themselves because they prefer temperatures more like 185 then what you’d use for meats.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ulmont posted:

You can only do sous vide veggies by themselves because they prefer temperatures more like 185 then what you’d use for meats.

You can, though, (usually) do them at ~185, pour out some of the water, replace it with tap (to cool the bath down to protein temperatures), cook your meats, and hold the vegetables floating around there for serving once you're done.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do you actually get perceptibly better results with SV veg vs. steaming then broiling them though?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Entropic posted:

Do you actually get perceptibly better results with SV veg vs. steaming then broiling them though?
I've not tried the alternatives Kenji notes, but the carrots are great. Noticeably so.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Anova’s recipe for asparagus is one of my favorite things ever. It feels weird at first to spend a bunch of time peeling asparagus, but it’s so very worth it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Anova’s recipe for asparagus is one of my favorite things ever. It feels weird at first to spend a bunch of time peeling asparagus, but it’s so very worth it.
i'll take "things i could never be bothered to do in the kitchen" for 600, alex

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Entropic posted:

Yes. Very much yes.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Hello thread, looking for a little advice or guidance on a possible Xmas dinner.

I had an idea to sous vid a whole duck. The local grocery store has whole duck for relatively cheap making acquisition easy. I have some experience with sous vide already with an adequate set up. I have done steaks, chicken portions, and this last Thanksgiving had success with a whole turkey leg.

Problem I'm finding is a lack of resources on how to best go about this. Previously I Google "sous vide ____" and get dozens of results I can pick and choose from. Whole duck is conspicuously sparse.

My plan based on what I have been able to find is to pat the bird dry, spatchcock, and do a light spice and salt rub. Cook at 140° for 4ish hours and then sear on the broiler or outdoor grill.

A. Does this sound fine?
B. Should I throw in some citrus fruit slices to help marinade it or would that have reduced effect in a sous vide?
C. Any suggestions to bring out the best of this dish?

Thanks in advanced

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Action-Bastard posted:

Hello thread, looking for a little advice or guidance on a possible Xmas dinner.

I had an idea to sous vid a whole duck. The local grocery store has whole duck for relatively cheap making acquisition easy. I have some experience with sous vide already with an adequate set up. I have done steaks, chicken portions, and this last Thanksgiving had success with a whole turkey leg.

Problem I'm finding is a lack of resources on how to best go about this. Previously I Google "sous vide ____" and get dozens of results I can pick and choose from. Whole duck is conspicuously sparse.

My plan based on what I have been able to find is to pat the bird dry, spatchcock, and do a light spice and salt rub. Cook at 140° for 4ish hours and then sear on the broiler or outdoor grill.

A. Does this sound fine?
B. Should I throw in some citrus fruit slices to help marinade it or would that have reduced effect in a sous vide?
C. Any suggestions to bring out the best of this dish?

Thanks in advanced

Maybe don’t do the whole duck. Do the breasts and dark meat separately even if you sous vide it all, do each at the right temperature.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah do the super long confit for the legs and do the rest separately.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I wouldn't say I like duck legs. I wouldn't say I'm particularly fond of skin. When I did the sous vide confit duck legs with crispy skin they were loving incredible, I did like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm the same way and when my partner made that recipe it blew my socks off.