Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

no shorts planned for tonite, stuff's been busy, but this movie should be pretty interesting. there is a guy in the wikipedia article credited "Franco Giacobini as the man who eats mud" so i am very curious to find out if he does it on purpose or by accident or what the hell

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

It's a pretty standard cinema trope. Bill Murray played 'the man who eats mud' in All The President's Men.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

When the most badass action move in cinema is putting one's reading glasses.

That movie owned!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Heather Papps

hello friend

"Mary reveals to Coburn that she lied about the pregnancy, and he sets about to redress this so enthusiastically that the whole house falls down, while Chip smiles."

i understand why the house didn't fall, but i was a lil disappointing. this was the one thing that sold me on the film specifically, this and the dirt eater.

Saoshyant

Oh, I thought of a suggestion if we run out of candidates for this month's theme: the hilarious rock band movie This is Spinal Tap. One dude has a beard, the others look like they have full beards for hair!

Turns out the movie is actually available on Youtube and working on Cytube without restrictions, surprisingly! A bit blurry and with forced Spanish subs, but hey.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, I thought of a suggestion if we run out of candidates for this month's theme: the hilarious rock band movie This is Spinal Tap. One dude has a beard, the others look like they have full beards for hair!

Turns out the movie is actually available on Youtube and working on Cytube without restrictions, surprisingly! A bit blurry and with forced Spanish subs, but hey.

hell yeah i've always wanted to learn spanish

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight we're watching 1944's Bluebeard!

According to TCM this is the story of a puppeteer strangler! So I'm half expecting some Bucket of Blood shenanigans, but also it apparently features John Carradine's personal favorite performance of his career so, maybe it's really good? Only time will tell!

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies and because this is a short film we'll have a whole cornucopia of shorts starting a half hour before showtime. See you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight's film is a swashbuckler! It's Raiders of the Seven Seas, with John Payne and Donna Reed!

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

Acceptable beard :hmmyes:

BoldFrankensteinMir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSTs8SDXcFE

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

not only was the main character called redbeard a bunch doodling a van dyke on a portait of a lady with charcoal was a plot point

what more could i ask for. peg leg being alive. that's what.

Saoshyant

drat it, ended up missing this one. Hope my movie nite friends had some good YAAAAR fun, though!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
that was some good swashbuckly fun with a romance that wasn't cringe and fail

BoldFrankensteinMir

Leraika posted:

that was some good swashbuckly fun with a romance that wasn't cringe and fail
This is an excellent concise review. Leraika do you use Letterboxd? I started writing reviews there recently, it's fun, and I think writing good brief ones is a challenge (which I am not up to, I write way too much about goofy poo poo like My World Died Screaming

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

I had never before this heard of letterboxd.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Neither had I! It's a fun way to keep track of what you're watching, and in theory meet people? I guess? I mostly nerd out about production histories and have 1 friend. So far!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i used to scrobble my listens on last.fm perhaps i should review films with my, heh, slightly off kilter perspective

Scut

Please remind me to draw more often.
Thanks for hosting these movies. I fell into the nap zone towards the end but I had fun reading the chat during Raiders of The Seven Seas (in Technicolor!)

Manifisto

lol I'm sorry I missed the premier of this one (and also the movie)! the tiny peg leg seals the deal, it's amazing

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

Someone queue this video for the post bonus after the movie we see next ends, thank you in advance!

Heather Papps

hello friend

:hmmorks:

Prof. Crocodile

Barbarossa!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! Beard month continues with another pirate movie, because why the blazes not m'lads? Full speed ahead, to 1942's The Black Swan!

Fun trivia fact: this film won a cinematography Oscar that year! Not THE cinematography Oscar that year, no, just one!

How is this possible, you ask? Easy- it won during the short weird period when color and B&W films had separate cinematography awards! And it should be noted it was also nominated for two others, visual effects and original score, so I bet this is actually a pretty cool flick. But we'll see!

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies (that's 8 bells y' scallywags!)

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

this one looks pretty fun. i kind of miss film makers being blown away that they can have colour, and utilizing it intentionally in every costume and set. i remember watching a behind the scenes thing about the matrix and them talking about "oh when they are in the matrix everything is green" and at the time i nodded and thought "what artistry" but watching old movies where every dress is vibrant and unique is so much more fun.

Heather Papps

hello friend

shorts started if you've got nothing else going on tonite!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i love blue tommy and nothing will change my mind.

Saoshyant

Except for that one time helping with a kidnapping, Tommy Blue was certainly the MVP.

teen witch
critical support for blue tommy

Heather Papps

hello friend

Saoshyant posted:

Except for that one time helping with a kidnapping, Tommy Blue was certainly the MVP.

i am going to be generous and assume he was black out drunk at the time or something

Saoshyant

What in the blazes. The guy playing Captain Morgan, the very big lad, was only 29 back then!

And it gets weirder! He died two years later at the age of 31 due to a very ill advised attempt at dieting down ultra fast to play a role in a Les Miserables adaptation! I mean, amphetamines are indeed used to treat obesity, but I'm going with them doctors in the 40's having no clue what they were doing. What a loss.

Leraika

I spent the entire movie trying to guess which one george sanders was and my guess was absolutely not the man who was very beard

Heather Papps

hello friend

Saoshyant posted:

What in the blazes. The guy playing Captain Morgan, the very big lad, was only 29 back then!

And it gets weirder! He died two years later at the age of 31 due to a very ill advised attempt at dieting down ultra fast to play a role in a Les Miserables adaptation! I mean, amphetamines are indeed used to treat obesity, but I'm going with them doctors in the 40's having no clue what they were doing. What a loss.

what is even stranger to me is he must have been prepping for jean valjean, who lifts a loving horse carriage by himself as a plot point. dude may have been a prisoner/slave but he was still incredibly strong. that's the whole reason javert finds him. i understand the argument that you just got out of prison you are skinny but still

but maybe he was supposed to play marius or something who knows.

Heather Papps

hello friend

The funeral was held on December 13, 1944.[25] Vincent Price, Cregar's co-star in Hudson's Bay (1941), delivered the eulogy

wow.

BoldFrankensteinMir

This Thursday we will be having a Thanksgiving Marathon movie nite!

That's right it's a twelve-hour beard-a-thon from 12pm PST/3pm EST to 12am PST/3pmEST! The hairiest-faced movies we can find, playing all afternoon and evening in a virtual room in your house, how bizarre! As the tryptophan lulls you into a coma, perhaps, for a moment, it'll all make perfect sense to you. Who knows???

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

There will not be a Movie Nite showing tonight (Wednesday the 23rd), join us for the marathon tomorrow!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

You know what, there have been altogether too many good movies this beard month, it's time to watch a sure-fire stinker. 2008 Asylum smelly enough for everyone? It's Merlin and the War of the Dragons!

Bring your barfbags, no way in hell this thing is any good. https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies at 4pm PST 7pm EST with shorts a half hour before the show, see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

considering part of the whole gimmick of movie nites is that half of em are terrible it's kind of amazing we've never shown an asylum film before

Heather Papps

hello friend

i really need to sleep on this but i maybe think asylum films are good.

Saoshyant

Fake news!

Because of region blocking hijinks, we watched this instead

Which ruled! Like 30 people with dwarfism hired, Cambodia beautiful natural scenery, Tealc with a spear and a scruff beard, plus everyone's favorite Papa Mustache. Ruled!

P.S: the dragons didn't actually have fire breath or looked anything like the poster above

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Heather Papps posted:

i really need to sleep on this but i maybe think asylum films are good.

i definitely need to see more of them

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER