Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gonz posted:

Let’s be real. The kid probably sold the autograph years later to buy more Star Wars merch.

Ewan McGregor merch to be exact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alan Smithee posted:

A small plastic sealed container of authentic Mustafar High Ground dirt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alan Smithee posted:

"It's May of 2022 and the value of this merch is about to skyrocket! :smug:"
June of 2022
"Oh no! :negative:"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

cptn_dr posted:

Getting Andor methodone by watching Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1979) on one screen and Kenobi on mute on the other.

Luthen is very consciously a Smiley type as much as he is an Obi-wan type, that was one of the first things that clued me in that this show was going to be really good and not just pretty good. The ISB guy with the subplot is definitely going to end up getting Spy Who Came in from the Cold'd.

Speaking of, I'm finally up to date with watching Andor and back to writing about it:

quote:

The finest scene, to my mind at least, is the one that closes out the second episode, where the prisoner Ulaf, who has been struggling and often confused at the work desks, has a stroke while heading back to the cells. As above, there is no sentimentality here. Ulaf doesn’t get to deliver a final speech, rousing his friends to action. It’s not even clear that they have a friendship other than the basic compassion shared between human beings. Conversely, there’s no cartoonish unpleasantness. No-one gets shocked or zapped or punished because the old man collapses. But it’s still horrible. The inhumanity of the institution fills the whole scene.

https://josh04.medium.com/dream-a-little-dream-andor-andor-episodes-8-9-10-e43b25190aff

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I was talking with a friend the other day about how Andor's maturity relative to the rest of Star Wars could put a bit of a spanner in the merchandising machine that is Disney. There's a Lego set based on Andor already, with that Ferix drop ship, but given the rest of the show its hard to imagine how they could put out some more sets. I'm sure the adults would love Kino Loy and Deadra minifigures, but are they really going to produce an ISB set or totalitarian hell prison set?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

even the butler droid whose name I forget is hardly a BB-8

there's really no Baby Yoda here

except maybe this guy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alan Smithee posted:

except maybe this guy

Don't worry, Luthen will turn out to be the temple guard that got grogu out

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

mitochondritom posted:

I was talking with a friend the other day about how Andor's maturity relative to the rest of Star Wars could put a bit of a spanner in the merchandising machine that is Disney. There's a Lego set based on Andor already, with that Ferix drop ship, but given the rest of the show its hard to imagine how they could put out some more sets. I'm sure the adults would love Kino Loy and Deadra minifigures, but are they really going to produce an ISB set or totalitarian hell prison set?

I was gonna make this exact same post. Maybe if Luthen's ship sees some action in the last couple of episodes that would be the obvious choice?

Apart from that yeah I can't really imagine kids fighting each other for the last Mon Mothma's apartment play set.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

mitochondritom posted:

Lego Revolutionary Action Set with Lego Little Red Book and Lego 'Crushed by Capitalism' Crate
Now Free when you purchase limited edition Authentic ISB Uniform!

(well there's the Fondor Haulcraft that Luthen has...)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Has there been any explanation for what Grogu did between the temple and Mando? Who were the people protecting (maybe) him in the first episode?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe if Luthen's ship sees some action in the last couple of episodes that would be the obvious choice?

Based on trailers we'll at least see it using its lightsaber corkscrew poo poo.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

PriorMarcus posted:

Has there been any explanation for what Grogu did between the temple and Mando? Who were the people protecting (maybe) him in the first episode?

So far, no.
It also hasn't been explained why Werner Herzog's character was gunned down by Moff Gideon's people when as far as we know he was about to deliver Grogu into Gideon's hands.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

There's been so much Star Wars of late that I'd completely forgotten Werner Herzog was in the first Mandalorian episodes. I think the abysmal Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan soured it all for me. I remember thinking the scenes with the Client were really good.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

a bad part of Rise of Skywalker that everyone doesn't mention is the festival on yet another sand planet (I know, there have to be multiple ones in a galaxy besides Tattooine, but they just did Jakku) that takes place every 41 years, the same amount of time between A New Hope and Rise of Skywalker. I liked that planet's scene with Rey force-healing the snake and finding some National Treasure clue dagger, though

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 13, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

josh04 posted:

Luthen is very consciously a Smiley type as much as he is an Obi-wan type, that was one of the first things that clued me in that this show was going to be really good and not just pretty good. The ISB guy with the subplot is definitely going to end up getting Spy Who Came in from the Cold'd.

Speaking of, I'm finally up to date with watching Andor and back to writing about it:

https://josh04.medium.com/dream-a-little-dream-andor-andor-episodes-8-9-10-e43b25190aff

Hot take: Luthen isn't Smiley, he's Karla

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's not what I meant.

I'm old enough to remember Dark Empire, where the cloning rules were different for super powerful evil dudes. Palpatine's body was cloned but the mind driving it was definitely the same guy that got chucked down a hole. They made a beeline to the same rule in RoS, but it might have been interesting to play with it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

galenanorth posted:

a bad part of Rise of Skywalker that everyone doesn't mention is the festival on yet another sand planet (I know, there have to be multiple ones in a galaxy besides Tattooine, but they just did Jakku) that takes place every 41 years, the same amount of time between A New Hope and Rise of Skywalker. I liked that planet's scene with Rey force-healing the snake and finding some National Treasure clue dagger, though

Never watched this trash but I can totally imagine how disjointed and unconnected and hurried with arbitrary plot interests it is, because that's how all JJ Abrams movies are all like

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Shageletic posted:

Never watched this trash but I can totally imagine how disjointed and unconnected and hurried with arbitrary plot interests it is, because that's how all JJ Abrams movies are all like

I am generally more forgiving than most goons when it comes to film/TV, so believe me when I say that TROS is so unbelievably bad, stupid and cowardly in practically every possible way that it’s a grotesque failure to not just the ST but as a capstone to a 40+ year saga. The only fun thing about it is dear old Ian hamming it up for all he’s worth but really, he shouldn’t be there at all. It’s boring, empty spectacle without a single coherent thought applied anywhere. Thank gently caress I managed to get to a cinema again after things opened up because going to one’s grave knowing that poo poo was the last ‘film’ I’d seen in one would just be wholly unacceptable.

Anyway, how about that Andor, eh?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Andor good

make Andor movie

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

Andor good

make Andor movie

I’ve got really good news for you.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

3 posted:

I’ve got really good news for you.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Oh...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

Can't wait for the sequel!

Oh...

make the loving Bothan movie, Disney

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

StashAugustine posted:

make the loving Bothan movie, Disney

Both An(dor Seasons)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

make him live

killing them off was dumb

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Palpatine, cackling, in front of a pair of cloning tubes: "Congratulations! You have been... rescued! Heh heh heh heh!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what is the point of an exact clone

couldn't he like go into a Jango bod

it would dumb as gently caress but funny

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

what is the point of an exact clone

couldn't he like go into a Jango bod

it would dumb as gently caress but funny

Look at this blessed soul who doesn't know about midichlorians.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Seldom Posts posted:

Look at this blessed soul who doesn't know about midichlorians.

Why don't they just clone midichlorians? Force powers are the new designer drug

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can you become force sensitive if you get a blood transfusion from a Jedi?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

StashAugustine posted:

Hot take: Luthen isn't Smiley, he's Karla

drat, you're totally right. Season 2 ends with him miserably walking over that bridge to the ISB building as Dedra watches.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Azhais posted:

Why don't they just clone midichlorians? Force powers are the new designer drug

That seems to be what those Imperial Remnants wanted Grogu for

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

and here I thought they were cloning Yoda

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

josh04 posted:

drat, you're totally right. Season 2 ends with him miserably walking over that bridge to the ISB building as Dedra watches.

wordlessly dropping a khyber crystal in the snow. (Actually a blackmail plot could be an interesting twist on the old Imperial defector character)

And obviously Andor isn't 1:1 with le Carre, but I think the most interesting differences are, first no one seems to have deep personal attachments. Smiley has Ann, Karla eventually is revealed to have his daughter, and most characters have someone they actually care about; but Deedra and Luthen appear to have no personal lives and Syril's is deeply hosed up. Writing it out I do see that Mothma does and there's the new subplot with the imperial mole, and obviously we're not done with most of these characters. More important is that as grim as Andor is there's not a lot of fundamental moral ambiguity- le Carre is about Soviet fanatics trying to believe they're the good guys versus British technocrats who don't care one way or the other. Here everyone seems committed to their side- the Imperials don't show any doubt or even really apathy, and as ruthless as some of the Rebels are its still 100% clear that they're the good guys

aba
Oct 2, 2013
I guess it's very small thing but this camera move really caught my eye as it started as both of them kind of equal but ended with Andor being a lot bigger persona in the frame and Kino's face not confident in his conviction.

Anybody here with technical knowledge how camera works in movies/TV? Because don't remember any camera works in a dialog in SW (for along time if not ever) hitting me in a good way as this as usually it's just static talking heads.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

StashAugustine posted:

wordlessly dropping a khyber crystal in the snow. (Actually a blackmail plot could be an interesting twist on the old Imperial defector character)

And obviously Andor isn't 1:1 with le Carre, but I think the most interesting differences are, first no one seems to have deep personal attachments. Smiley has Ann, Karla eventually is revealed to have his daughter, and most characters have someone they actually care about; but Deedra and Luthen appear to have no personal lives and Syril's is deeply hosed up. Writing it out I do see that Mothma does and there's the new subplot with the imperial mole, and obviously we're not done with most of these characters. More important is that as grim as Andor is there's not a lot of fundamental moral ambiguity- le Carre is about Soviet fanatics trying to believe they're the good guys versus British technocrats who don't care one way or the other. Here everyone seems committed to their side- the Imperials don't show any doubt or even really apathy, and as ruthless as some of the Rebels are its still 100% clear that they're the good guys

The thing that really feels like le Carré most to me is that even the people on the 'good' side are conflicted about what they're having to do. Like in the books Smiley believes very strongly about defending Europe (*not* the UK) from the Soviet Union but he feels awful about what is necessary in order to do that. Luthen is kind of a volume-turned-up version of that where he hates the Empire (for reasons we've not yet seen) and wants to fight it but doesn't feel great about what's necessary to wage that conflict effectively. By the time we see him in Rogue One, Cassian is more or less like JIm Prideaux or Lemas from le Carré's books as a person who has had to actually go and do a lot of awful poo poo and hopes it is somehow genuinely worth something.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerkface posted:

snokes, not sith lords
Snoke is a sith lord, yo.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

except maybe this guy

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Snoke is a sith lord, yo.

no. just... no.

Edit: you are just saying this to hurt us aren't you?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 13, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Look, if there's some distinction made between evil Jedi and sith lords on a lore level, I super don't give a poo poo. He's an evil Jedi the same as Palpatine was, you know exactly what I meant, and frankly I'm not going to argue about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Palpatine: evil Jedi.