Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Didn't Crassus make a ton of money in the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

For whoever was asking about the EA crowd, here's another data point:
https://twitter.com/Forever_Wario/status/1592309656340541440

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1592628385989042176

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Everyone talking about how RBJ should have known to retire in 2014 is taking an extremely a-historic view of the situation.

Nah plenty of people were aware of the risk at the time and begged her to retire, it's not ahistorical to notice things like "one political party isn't guaranteed to conveniently win every election for as long as you want" which is why people in fact did notice that not retiring when the senate was on the line was stupid without needing to time travel from 2022 with ironclad proof. She just told them to gently caress off.

And yea she probably didn't want to end up like her good friend Sandra "put the gays in prison" O'Connor, some nobody that everyone ignores now that she isn't one of the 9 all-powerful lawmakers in the land, so Ginsburg made a choice to cling to power and roll the dice with everyone else's livelihoods and welp turns out "maybe elections will go how I want as long as I want" was a bad bet and here we are.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ultrafilter posted:

If we extinctify the wild fish, they can't suffer anymore, and we produce surplus value from selling the meat along the way

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

lol the trans drug thing at the bottom, not to mention a bunch of other dumb recent news things.

these seem to be mostly things a bunch of sheltered fuckboys recently learn about either from netflix/youtube algos giving them something new to learn about.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Is this just all the bad things they could think of? Is it supposed to be a top 16? How is the existence of the child tax credit on there and how is it like 9 times worse than airport security being terrible?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
These people like to use these really tortured logic experiments where they determine that it's better that one person get tortured forever than it is for every person in the world to occasionally get a spec of dust in their eye.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really wanna know the difference between the two. Who is suffering from the child tax credit? Is it like some very small number of very mad political types that are just so mad about it that it's worse than all the suffering of every person that has to fly in the US even once a year?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

I dont know what this list is but loving amtrak....Amtrak?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
If EA was actually about making seafood more sustainable or getting rid of malaria, I dont think anyone would have that much of a problem with it.

Instead it seems to be mostly deep navel-gazing about complete nonsense.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When they get around to making the SBF crypto crash movie, this will be your SBF.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
SBF seems to be back to tweeting out details of his crimes, seemingly in complete denial that his companies have filed for bankruptcy and he is no longer CEO

He seems to think there is a chance that the fair value of his illiquid shitcoins is nine billion american dollars, which, lol

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

that's wild

even if all that was accurate does he think the fiat@ account just doesn't count?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I've got a semi and if this crypto implosion continues it's going to become liquid.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I wanna see Michael Lewis eagerly goading SBF into posting some more and then taking notes furiously.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SBFs valuations of stuff are entirely fantasy and it's awesome that he's still posting them.

He considers $600m in a coin with 100k daily volume to be "semi-liquid"

A bankruptcy trustee trying to convert most of these things to cash is going to crash them to zero by the time 5% is liquidated.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

SBF seems to be back to tweeting out details of his crimes, seemingly in complete denial that his companies have filed for bankruptcy and he is no longer CEO

He seems to think there is a chance that the fair value of his illiquid shitcoins is nine billion american dollars, which, lol

Not only that, but he's also basically confirming he's lost $18b recently and is now negative. As that other article pointed out, imagine how much he made *before* he had these new losses, and therefore total loss is insane. We're talking probably $1t in gain turned into total loss would be an estimate when you include Luna.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wilderthanmild posted:

I really wanna know the difference between the two. Who is suffering from the child tax credit? Is it like some very small number of very mad political types that are just so mad about it that it's worse than all the suffering of every person that has to fly in the US even once a year?
The idea is that if you don't have kids, you're effectively paying extra tax, and people who have #childfree identities tend to be very upset about a lot of things.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what's an ea

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SRQ posted:

what's an ea

An Ayn Rand hack who thinks they're actually doing charity

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I just found out today that effective altruism was really a thing - I thought the dude just thought the words sounded good and put them together.

Anyway, it just sounds like a bunch of bullshit completely made up to ignore/delay any change you can do at the moment in detriment of the most optimal thing you could do, ever. Sort of like not going to the gym because you can't go everyday and become Schwarzenneger, so why even bother

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SRQ posted:

what's an ea

Like secular prosperity gospel

orange sky
May 7, 2007

nitpicking, but this is exactly what I mean lmao

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Why be nice and make friends when billions of fish a day are brutally murdered

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I thought it's okay to eat fish, cause they don't have any feeeelings

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

drk posted:

loving lol this fool is going to try and post through this. Almost respect. "This? No this is worth what I say it. Look at my post..." Crazy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SRQ posted:

what's an ea
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1592268289631465472

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SRQ posted:

what's an ea

it's how rich people who pretend to be liberal justify their grifting and rampant worker exploitation.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Boxturret posted:

These people like to use these really tortured logic experiments where they determine that it's better that one person get tortured forever than it is for every person in the world to occasionally get a spec of dust in their eye.

The Ones Who Optimize Omelas

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Chromatics posted:

that's wild

even if all that was accurate does he think the fiat@ account just doesn't count?
I guess the fiat@ might fall under the -8 billion liquid assets? But I wouldn't try to put too much value in that horror spreadsheet, except for the conclusion that all the money is gone and not a single accountant ever set foot in their Bahamas sex cult.

His accounting of the assets are "accurate" when you consider stuff like FTX's own tokens to have any value. FTX's assets on their spreadsheet are basically just an assortment of crap:

There's not a penny of actual money on this.

CSM fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 16, 2022

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

KinkyJohn posted:

I thought it's okay to eat fish, cause they don't have any feeeelings

I've taught my pet fish to play fetch. There is also experimental data from monitoring brain activity during sleep that suggests fish dream. Also the Sydney aquarium has a successful program teaching learned behaviours to eagle rays. Fish are way more intelligent than people think.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SRQ posted:

what's an ea

take Carnegie's Gospel of wealth and give it to tech bros

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I thought csr is a badly done concept but ea somehow is even worse

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

I've taught my pet fish to play fetch. There is also experimental data from monitoring brain activity during sleep that suggests fish dream. Also the Sydney aquarium has a successful program teaching learned behaviours to eagle rays. Fish are way more intelligent than people think.

The trick is to deliberately not learn things like this so you don't have to feel bad about anything.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ultrafilter posted:

love that a bunch of rich fucks with private jets think "the planes are too slow" is almost twice as important as getting medicine for trans kids

edit: or wait, possibly they're AGAINST puberty blockers?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CountryMatters posted:

love that a bunch of rich fucks with private jets think "the planes are too slow" is almost twice as important as getting medicine for trans kids

The thing on the left are supposedly bad things they say are causing a loss of "QALYs," which is some stupid loving metric they've latched onto to quantify suffering. It rolls standard of living together with public health and losses of life into a single quantifiable metric that they can use to say that the existence of the child tax credit is almost as detrimental to society as the US prison system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 16, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CountryMatters posted:

nah, no one likes puberty.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ups_rail posted:

nah, no one likes puberty.

we're in a bitcoin thread, I think you forget that bitcoiners and libertarians very much like puberty and tend to lose interest once it's finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

SRQ posted:

what's an ea

Trying to get a camel through the eye of a needle by pushing really hard.