Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Ura is gonna tank my team but I don't care because he's always so drat fun to watch. Wiggling on the rope like a cartoon character had me all giggles.

Kotoeko and Shodai on the other hand are looking impressive so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Saw MidnightSumo streaming last night and decided to watch a little, in the <24 hours since I have subscribed to multiple sumo youtube channels and podcasts so I guess I'm into sumo now! I'm stoked to watch more tonight with a little more context and especially to see Atamifuji and Tobizaru's bouts now that the Sumo Kaboom episode on them has made me fall in love with them both

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Eldoop posted:

Saw MidnightSumo streaming last night and decided to watch a little, in the <24 hours since I have subscribed to multiple sumo youtube channels and podcasts so I guess I'm into sumo now! I'm stoked to watch more tonight with a little more context and especially to see Atamifuji and Tobizaru's bouts now that the Sumo Kaboom episode on them has made me fall in love with them both

If you want to catch up on what you missed, NattoSumo and NHK World both have compilations of previous nights. NHK's has English commentary but is less comprehensive in what it covers, and also takes longer to come out - they won't have the recording of today/last night's highlights out until tomorrow, even though they've broadcast it on their streaming service today already. Don't ask me why it takes so long to upload a half hour video.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Log082 posted:

If you want to catch up on what you missed, NattoSumo and NHK World both have compilations of previous nights. NHK's has English commentary but is less comprehensive in what it covers, and also takes longer to come out - they won't have the recording of today/last night's highlights out until tomorrow, even though they've broadcast it on their streaming service today already. Don't ask me why it takes so long to upload a half hour video.

Gotta hand deliver it to the server

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I finally followed Midnight Sumo on twitch a couple days ago and it's been kinda fun to be able to throw on the lower rank stuff in the background. Granted, the video somehow looks like VHS? Maybe it's the disparity between 720 and 4k .

I threw it on to fall asleep to last night and managed to wake up at 2 AM for a random spoiler of a match I cared about. I might still do the same tonight.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks to the midnightsumo stream going on right now, I have discovered the glory that is Long Long Man.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Holy moly, that Osanai vs Hinataryu fight in Makushita. Endurance kings.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Eldoop posted:

I'm stoked to watch more tonight with a little more context and especially to see Atamifuji and Tobizaru's bouts now that the Sumo Kaboom episode on them has made me fall in love with them both
Sumo Kaboom's bingo game is also a lot of fun to play, even if you're already invested in fantasy sumo here!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rufius posted:

Still learning about this Sumo thing. The November mods/admin announcement pointed me here.

All I have to say: Aoiyama has a great rack. :captainpop:

Big Dan does have some vast tracts of land.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Surprisingly solid day for it being Day 3, looks like we might get some decent sumo even with a nokozuna basho. Hate to see Kotonowaka lose to, of all people, Shodai though.

Day 3 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
12	bartolimu
12	Fluffdaddy
12	Thauros
12	Vargatron
11	NuclearPotato
10	Eli949
10	Everyones Favorite Poster
10	Gaghskull
10	Ice Phisherman
10	ilmucche
10	Iron Chef Nex
10	jmzero
10	Khizan
10	MalarkeyToboggan
10	Mode 7
10	Tiny Bug Child
10	Tochiazuma
9	anakha
9	Communist Thoughts
9	GoatSeeGuy
9	Jobbo_Fett
9	Kenning
9	MyChemicalImbalance
9	ratmosphere
9	sivad
9	Skjorte
8	Banana Canada
8	Chinook
8	Crusty Nutsack
8	Marching Powder
8	pseudodragon
7	bessantj
7	Flinger
7	LlamaTrauma
7	Takuan
7	whats for dinner
6	Charles Gnarwin
6	Netsky
6	Saturnine Aberrance
5	captainblastum
5	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
4	scripterror
Juryo
code:
11	Brut
11	Neodoomium
10	Bentai
10	Biosys
9	Akiosan
9	John McClane
9	Kuros
9	QuasiQuack
9	rare Magic card l00k
8	do it on my face
8	Robviously
8	Teddybear
8	Xerzes
7	Boogalo
7	Dead Goon
7	Log082
7	Maigius
7	Nativity In Black
7	Pakled
7	PJ
6	Beexoffel
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	Liquid Communism
6	ullerrm
5	Ben Nerevarine
5	oldskool
4	Lid

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

anakha posted:

Thanks to the midnightsumo stream going on right now, I have discovered the glory that is Long Long Man.

For anyone not in the know, everyone loves Long Long Man.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kenning posted:

Surprisingly solid day for it being Day 3, looks like we might get some decent sumo even with a nokozuna basho. Hate to see Kotonowaka lose to, of all people, Shodai though.

Day 3 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
12	bartolimu
12	Fluffdaddy
12	Thauros
12	Vargatron
11	NuclearPotato
10	Eli949
10	Everyones Favorite Poster
10	Gaghskull
10	Ice Phisherman
10	ilmucche
10	Iron Chef Nex
10	jmzero
10	Khizan
10	MalarkeyToboggan
10	Mode 7
10	Tiny Bug Child
10	Tochiazuma
9	anakha
9	Communist Thoughts
9	GoatSeeGuy
9	Jobbo_Fett
9	Kenning
9	MyChemicalImbalance
9	ratmosphere
9	sivad
9	Skjorte
8	Banana Canada
8	Chinook
8	Crusty Nutsack
8	Marching Powder
8	pseudodragon
7	bessantj
7	Flinger
7	LlamaTrauma
7	Takuan
7	whats for dinner
6	Charles Gnarwin
6	Netsky
6	Saturnine Aberrance
5	captainblastum
5	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
4	scripterror
Juryo
code:
11	Brut
11	Neodoomium
10	Bentai
10	Biosys
9	Akiosan
9	John McClane
9	Kuros
9	QuasiQuack
9	rare Magic card l00k
8	do it on my face
8	Robviously
8	Teddybear
8	Xerzes
7	Boogalo
7	Dead Goon
7	Log082
7	Maigius
7	Nativity In Black
7	Pakled
7	PJ
6	Beexoffel
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	Liquid Communism
6	ullerrm
5	Ben Nerevarine
5	oldskool
4	Lid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pkPMl7TP4

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Kenning posted:

that is the second most Japanese thing after how Japan's national hero is Tommy Lee Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv2l1JKuxxY

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Terutsuyoshi is on the Juryo barge, isn't he? :smith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bentai posted:

He is clearly injured and is there because he's trying to tough it out to avoid demotion and is instead making his injury worse and self-defeating. These proud bastards never learn their lesson.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Kenning posted:

No way am I watching all six minutes of that...

Oh :D

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Bentai posted:

I guess that maybe it's a reason to go watch juryo matches.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Bentai posted:

That streak of like five wins by leg pick a couple tournaments back was the worst thing to happen to him, because he seems to believe it's the only way he can beat bigger guys now. So he goes for it, they know he's going for it, and predictable=loss

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Juryo rocks

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bentai posted:

He's been awful the last couple of tournaments. Really looks like he doesn't want to be there. I thought he might be injured last basho, but it's the same here.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKW2nqNnDRQ

whats up with these first comments + being an rear end towards the cool ancient sumo dude???!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

So after Day 4 - how unusual is it that there are no undefeated rikishi?

E: Chris Sumo just answered my question. Not since 1969.

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 16, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Banana Canada posted:

So after Day 4 - how unusual is it that there are no undefeated rikishi?

E: Chris Sumo just answered my question. Not since 1969.

Wow, that is wild.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

What a weird, but good, basho so far. Plenty of rikishi looking good, but nobody standing out as dominant. It really feels like it could go anywhere at this point.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Proud of my boy Atamifuji!! That recovery was incredible, I thought he was done for sure

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kenning posted:

that was a hell of a trip

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

verbal enema posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKW2nqNnDRQ

whats up with these first comments + being an rear end towards the cool ancient sumo dude???!

There's been quite a bit of rumor floating around about Ichi being a raging alcoholic behind the scenes, leading to some bad behavior including raising hands to the stable master's wife. It seems it's being casually pushed aside during basho time with punishments expected after.

That said, the commentary Chris provided is kinda lovely even in context.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nativity In Black posted:

That said, the commentary Chris provided is kinda lovely even in context.

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I don’t find his commentary clever or interesting. I admit I’m a know-nothing asshat, but he seems to just make unfunny observations. Or, I am not enough in the know to find them funny.

To each their own!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Half the folks in midnightsumo's chat give far better/engaging commentary than Chris.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Chris seems far more invested in coming across as Drily British than anything else. His commentary has a certain cadence, and he repeats some turns of phrases. Dude knows a lot about sumo, but definitely hides that behind some need to be weirdly coy or use obtuse language.

On the fantasy front, it's nice to see my team's usual practice of doing well first week, then collapsing ignobly in the second is going to plan so far.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

In the near decade of sumo watching, I have never seen a chris sumo video. I saw those 20 seconds yall linked and I think I'm good.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

His videos are definitely a mixed bag for me.

He'll drop some interesting stats, play some footage you can't get elsewhere, and build up stories for some of the folks putzing around in the lower ranks. Sometimes, he even has some interesting commentary on the current state of sumo. Sometimes I get some behind the scenes info that I don't see elsewhere as a non-Japanese speaker.

Then he pulls some poo poo like this or other old man takes and I'm like... c'mon man. That said, this video is about the worst I've seen from him.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
It's nice to have the exclusive footage, like there's a bunch of really cool lower division matches in that video alone with more interesting angles than you see on Abema. But sometimes he waxes grandiloquent about the inner thoughts of wrestlers and it feels like he's reading his sumo fanfic. I know he has connections to some wrestlers but I'm kind of skeptical the guys who answer every other question with "I'm happy I could do my style of sumo" are really baring their soul to the foreigner with a Youtube.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Start up the the natto video for juryo and they decided to start it up with a bunch of Engrish jokes today. Jesus Christ what decade is this? Is there someone else who posts juryo videos?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Essentially all the top sumo channels that try to do English commentary, having been the only ones in a niche sport, are near universally terrible. They are smug and self-serving.

Which is why sumostew is the new hotness because she's just so enthusiastic about everything and isn't trying to make herself the star.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kenning posted:

I feel like I just watched five seasons of a soap opera in 6 minutes

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The future of sumo is bright.
Kawzoe is impressive as hell https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughResoluteJellyfishWOOP-vL12vilcUt9iltBe

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lid posted:

Essentially all the top sumo channels that try to do English commentary, having been the only ones in a niche sport, are near universally terrible. They are smug and self-serving.

Which is why sumostew is the new hotness because she's just so enthusiastic about everything and isn't trying to make herself the star.

Kinta's comments before and after bouts are laconic and apt. Jason rambles a bit, but he's not smug, he's without guile. Natto seems like a bit of a weird guy, and Chris can definitely get exhausting when he's doing his op-ed thing. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but I don't think it's as bad as all that. And yes, sumostew is wonderful.

I think we're looking at a low-scoring basho, so things could get extremely weird. You know what that means: Abi yusho.

Day 4 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
14	bartolimu
14	Fluffdaddy
14	Thauros
14	Vargatron
13	ilmucche
13	jmzero
13	Mode 7
13	NuclearPotato
13	Tochiazuma
12	anakha
12	Communist Thoughts
12	Eli949
12	Everyones Favorite Poster
12	Gaghskull
12	Ice Phisherman
12	Iron Chef Nex
12	Jobbo_Fett
12	Khizan
12	MalarkeyToboggan
12	sivad
12	Tiny Bug Child
11	Chinook
11	GoatSeeGuy
11	Kenning
11	MyChemicalImbalance
11	Skjorte
10	Banana Canada
10	Crusty Nutsack
10	Marching Powder
10	pseudodragon
10	whats for dinner
9	ratmosphere
9	Saturnine Aberrance
9	Takuan
8	bessantj
8	Flinger
8	LlamaTrauma
8	Netsky
7	Charles Gnarwin
7	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
6	captainblastum
6	scripterror
Juryo

code:
13	Neodoomium
12	Bentai
12	Brut
12	QuasiQuack
11	Akiosan
11	Biosys
11	John McClane
11	Kuros
11	PJ
11	rare Magic card l00k
10	Log082
10	Maigius
10	Pakled
10	Robviously
10	Teddybear
10	ullerrm
10	Xerzes
9	Boogalo
9	Dead Goon
9	do it on my face
9	Liquid Communism
9	Nativity In Black
8	Beexoffel
8	Ben Nerevarine
8	Lid
7	Helianthus Annuus
6	oldskool

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
feeling pretty good about my boys, even though i knew endo would be like an albatross around my neck

he's still my boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

tochinoshin is regularly the worst guy on my team but i can't quit him